PDA

View Full Version : 7.2M0 and Ethernet Performance

Cakey
04-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Just installed the update on my machine with HP3005-PR dock with Ethernet and the performance is dismal, looks like its fixed the display crash issue I was having but network performance is terrible.

I'm getting stalls on file copies, taking 10+ seconds to open network shares, slow web page loading. Anyone else seeing this with 7.2M0??

Thanks

Kate

tmceachren
04-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Yes, I am seeing the same thing.

-Tom

emveepee
04-16-2013, 12:22 AM
+1 local network speed is terrible.

Any news?

Martin

emveepee
04-16-2013, 02:54 AM
+1 local network speed is terrible.

Any news?

Reverted to 7.1 and I got a warning that my device needs newer drivers but my Toshiba dynadock ethernet now works.

Martin

Cakey
04-16-2013, 07:23 AM
I've given up with the Ethernet in the dock for the moment, I need to stick with 7.2 M0 otherwise I get frequent crashes on my 3rd monitor. It seemed a simpler solution to have another network cable to plug directly into the laptop until there is a fix for the problem.

11thhour
04-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Just wanted to add the "me too" post to confirm I am having horrible ethernet drops as well since the update. I am just plugging the ethernet cable into the laptop for now.

--Troy

Paulie
04-17-2013, 10:44 PM
transferring large files to a network share always fails. :confused:
this really sucks when running backups to a NAS

y2jdmbfan
04-18-2013, 02:16 PM
I am having the same issues, the network performance is horrible on 7.2, I have to revert to 7.1 to get normal performance. The only reason I upgraded to 7.2 is because I was hoping that the issues with gaming and the surface pro would be fixed, however they aren't fixed either.

Dan
04-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Can you say which host controller you guys are using? We're working on an issue we've seen with ASMedia.

Paulie
04-23-2013, 02:45 AM
Can you say which host controller you guys are using? We're working on an issue we've seen with ASMedia.

I'm using X1 Carbon, so "Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible - 0100 (Microsoft). "
I have not yet tried to switch out for the Intel Windows 7 controller - do you think that will make a diff? Seems like a headache.

Unfortunately this laptop has only one built in USB 3.0 port so using USB2 the Ethernet adapter would not be ideal.

when the Ethernet fails the screen also blanks out for a few seconds, if this is a clue. Seems like I have to reboot once this happens to get it back to normal.

Cakey
04-23-2013, 07:20 AM
By controller do you mean the PC end, in which case mine is a HP Folio13 with a Fresco Logic xHCI FL1009 controller (Driver version 3.5.93.0, latest on HP driver page).

The one external USB3.0 port on the laptop has the HP3005-PR docking port and that has the Ethernet, 2 display ports, USB3.0 & USB2.0, audio in/out. I've 3 monitors hooked up, 2 on the HP3005-PR and a third on a StarTech USB32DVIPRO, however at the moment due to the terrible ethernet performance the ethernet is not being used.

Kate

y2jdmbfan
04-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible - 0100 (Microsoft)

chrisedwards
04-23-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm also experiencing this with X1 Carbon--
Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family / Intel USB3 eXtensible Host Controller

emveepee
04-24-2013, 01:24 AM

ASUS laptop - Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family / Intel USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller 1.0.8.251

Martin

luiset83
04-24-2013, 01:32 AM
For those of you that posted they are using Intel USB3 eXtensible Host Controller (Microsoft), try updating to the latest Intel driver below and see if your problems are resolved (or for that matter not):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3467&DwnldID=21129

Also, thanks emveepee, you made me realize Intel had released a new driver version. I am currently running 1.​0.​7.​248. I don't have this network problem however -- I just did a speedtest with the HP 3005pr over my school's network and I was able to get 90.99 Mbps download and 51.69 Mbps upload speeds on my campus network. I also have an Intel 7 Series/C216 chipset -- Acer M5-481TG Intel i5 laptop.

@Cakey, try the 3.5.97.0 driver here, perhaps it might make a difference: http://station-drivers.com/page/fresco_logic.htm

Cakey
04-24-2013, 07:24 AM
@Cakey, try the 3.5.97.0 driver here, perhaps it might make a difference: http://station-drivers.com/page/fresco_logic.htm

Thanks for the link, I've installed them but sadly it doesn't resolve the Ethernet issue on the docking station, still the same as before. :(

Kate

btcrow
04-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Same problem here. Netflix now works, but Ethernet is 1MBps tops. I'm on a 128GB Microsoft Surface Pro using the HP 3005pr USB3.0 Port Replicator.

Edit: I should note, Ethernet worked perfectly on the previous version of the drivers, but there were problems with the display.

emveepee
04-24-2013, 10:27 PM
For the display I did have to backout the newest HD4000 video drivers since on both 7.2 and 7.1 they don't resize properly. When I plugged my laptop into the dynadock with my larger monitor the desktop expanded but the expanded space was not clickable unless I logged off and back on.

Martin

Paulie
04-25-2013, 05:02 AM
I'm hesitant to try installing that driver in Win 8 after reading this page...
http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

seems like the updated intel driver is for Win 7 and not Win 8, the "downgrade" is not straight forward to install, and results in loss of UASP (whatever that is)

BUT if it is reported to solve the Ethernet problems, I will give it a shot

(sorry I guess this post is not too helpful)

jacekk
04-25-2013, 06:58 AM
+1 for me

I'm using Dell Latitute 6320 laptop (with USB2.0 ports) running Windows 7 64-bit edition with Kensington Universal USB3.0 docking station sd3000v dock.

With 7.1M1 drivers network performance was OK. After upgrading to 7.2 M0 Ethernet performance deteriorated. It took like 30 seconds to list files on a network share. I've tried to test LAN performance using LAN Speed Test (Lite) tool. Speed of writing data to a network share was OK. But reading data took a very long time, speed was like 50 kb per second.

eyan
04-26-2013, 06:47 PM
EDIT #1: Nevermind it's still slow on network transfers...getting 2-5 KB/sec

Edit #2: It looks like I found the right combination of Chipset and USB3.0 drivers that resolves browsing and network share slowness:

Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 9.3.0.1011
(I was using a newer version of this and network shares were slow)
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0.8.251

I finally figured out why I was getting slow ethernet performance. When I had installed the Intel 7 Series chipset drivers, it somehow missed the USB portion of the drivers so I was using the generic "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB" drivers instead of the "7 Series/C216 USB" drivers.

Make sure you guys update with the latest 7 series chipset drivers from Intel. This fixes the issue.

XYZZY
04-27-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm now unable to get the Ethernet adapter to work with anything but the 7.2 driver, 7.2 seems to install some firmware update to the dock. Now reverting to anything previously refuses to allow the Ethernet adapter to be enumerated correctly. It comes up as an invalid device with anything but the 7.2.

Tried: 7.2 M0, 7.1 M1 & 7.0 M3, now only 7.2 M0 enumerates the USB (with awful performance).

The Ethernet down speed is now capped at about 50KB/sec.

I've also made sure (very important for video performance) in device manager, ensured that the USB 3 dock is enumerated correctly.

Within Device Manager, select "VIEW DEVICES BY CONNECTION" and expand it until you find the Intel Extensible USB 3.0 driver. (If your laptop/device uses this chipset)

Make sure that the Video and Ethernet appear under a USB 3.0 hub. Otherwise you get blurry screens, and poor Ethernet performance when your screens are busy refreshing. I had to refresh my USB 3.0 drivers previously to fix this.

My temporary fix, plug in a USB 2.0 Ethernet adapter into the dock until this is sorted out, I mostly use my X1 Carbon for Internet work, so 100Mbps is faster than my internet connection anyways. Internal file backups and copies, still painful.

Paulie
04-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Ok I couldn't stand it any more so I installed the Intel USB drivers following the instructions on Plugable. Note the driver version has been updated several times since they published their notes.

Anyway, so far so good ethernet performance seems normal again, and BONUS: no more mouse lag.

Backup to NAS seems to be working normally.

Now that I've done this, I'm not sure what I will do when new drivers are released by DisplayLink...
but for now, I'm happy.

Using Lenovo X1 Carbon and USB 3.0 Dock.

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I was wrong. Seemed like it was working better for a while as the backup seemed to be running, but it crapped out again. Large files across Ethernet just don't work. Also noticed occasional mouse lag/freeze but this still seems better than before.

RonV42
05-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Any idea of when this will be fixed? I had to load the previous driver on my Surface PRO to get the Ethernet adapter to work again. But going back to the previous driver brings the slow launch issue of the metro apps and using software rendering in the browser vs. GPU rendering to speed up metro apps.

Wim
05-01-2013, 12:05 PM
We're working on getting a release out mid May that should fix this for the users seeing the problem. Some teething trouble with the new Ethernet driver model that was introduced in 7.2.

Wim

aluke4105
05-06-2013, 01:42 PM
HP Ultrabook connected to HP docking station - upgraded to 7.2 software and like the others no ethernet connection...on two similar setups. The video crash issue with the previous display link driver appears to be better but ethernet is not.

RonV42
05-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Downloaded the updated driver 7.2 M1 and everything is working great now on my Microsoft Surface PRO. Thanks for this update. Over the last two days I have put my device though the ringer. Copying huge files to and from my home server, changing video settings, putting it into suspend/sleep and it seems that all the issues I was seeing are now gone.

emveepee
05-13-2013, 04:35 AM
I just installed 7.2 M1 and it seems to have corrected the speed issues I was having too.

Thanks.

Martin

Cakey
05-13-2013, 09:36 AM
7.2M1 does seem to have fixed/improved the ethernet issues on the HP3005-PR its certainly usable now.

However installation and configuration was a nightmare:

(My Config is Win7-64bit + HP Folio13-2000 + HP3005-PR DOCK + USB32DVIPRO + 3 Monitors)

After installation 2 out of 3 monitors (2 monitors on the HP3005-PR) were non functional, listed in device manager but not working or showing in the screen setup tool, the 3rd Monitor (USB32DVIPRO) was tied to the laptop monitor as a clone and would not let me run it as a 2nd monitor only a clone of the laptop.

Ran the upgrade again & rebooted, same result, 2 out of 3 non functional. Powered down, powered off the HP3005-PR dock unplugged it from the laptop, re-plugged and re-powered same result.

Ran the upgrade again, same result only one working monitor.

Checking in device manager showed that the DisplayLink Display Adapter (4300 & 430A) and HP USB3.0 dock devices were all running a 6.xxx (2012 dated) driver version, prior to the upgrade they were 7.xxx from 7.2M0 and working fine. The partially working USB32DVIPRO was running a newer 7.2.47157.0 version.

Only after manually selecting update driver on one of the HP devices in device manager did it find the new driver and install the update (and upgrade the dock firmware) and that bought all the driver versions to the same level and finally 3 working monitors again. Although the monitor ordering/numbering has changed again and my desktop layout is trashed (minor annoyance).

So it seems to work albeit not smoothly in terms of running the update....

Kate

Paulie
05-13-2013, 03:06 PM
OK I installed the new 7.2M1 driver package and this time I do believe most of my issues are resolved.

Lenovo X1 Carbon W8 and USB3.0 Dock

Ethernet performance looks normal (backup is running and transferring large files to NAS works fine)
1920 x 1200 display over DVI seems fine

I do still suffer occasional mouse lag/stutter. Happens only every few minutes so not terribly annoying now. I can't seem to force it eg when running part screen or full screen HD video so difficult to analyze. In fact, on the few occasions I noticed it (like just now typing this), there was very little other graphics-related activity going on. Just a frozen mouse pointer for around 1 second or less, and when it recovers the mouse jumps to where I assume it would have landed if it hadn't froze.

I did install the Intel USB Host Controller earlier not sure if that matters. After the Displaylink update, I reverted to the Microsoft controller - seems no different with limited testing.

Regarding Cakey's install issues - as suggested in the manual I ran the installation first with the dock disconnected. Then reboot twice (once including a power-down of the dock). Not sure if this is any different or matters but the install seemed to run smoothly.

luiset83
05-14-2013, 08:16 PM
In re: Cakey's experience, sometimes when upgrading (or even updating other drivers on my system) I end up with similar results -- one monitor doesn't get a signal to power up and stays in standby mode.

My fix has been to remove stale USB devices with a tool called USBDeview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html). Basically, I unplug the DisplayLink hub, start the tool, remove all the DisplayLink devices, including the USB 2.0/3.0 hub parts and Ethernet adapter, reboot, and replug hub after reboot. At that point, the re-enumeration happens and all the devices get configured again from scratch. Just figured I'd mention that for those having issues.