PDA

View Full Version : Problem with NVidia Drivers

moyaa1022
04-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Hello,

I have 2 external monitors connected to my notebook, one going off the integrated card (my primary) and the other using dynadock u3.0 and Displaylink. For months I have been having a problem with any game using Directx 9. Upon starting, any game using DX9 would give me a "Failed to create D3D9 device" error. After loads of troubleshooting, I have discovered that it is a compatibility issue between Nvidia and Displaylink. When I uninstalled Displaylink, all games (Batman Arkham City, Guild Wars 2, Portal 2) ran again. Upon re-installing the latest version of Displaylink, they failed again.

I tried to remedy the situation by updating my Nvidia drivers, but that only made it worse, as with the latest driver (314.22), when Displaylink is installed my primary monitor is flashing nonstop. This does not happen with older versions of Nvidia drivers.

Is this a known issue? Is there any solution being worked on?

Some extra system information:
Windows 8 64-bit
NVidia GT 650M card
3rd-Gen i7

Vald
04-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Hi there. This is a known issue that is extremely common with all Displaylink-based products. The latest drivers (7.2) seems to have fixed this with some games (Guild Wars, for example) but not with others (Guild Wars 2).

The ONLY fix is to not use any USB-based displays. You must completely uninstall the Displaylink drivers, reboot, then, while ensuring that no monitors are connected to your Dynadock, reinstall the drivers. Your games will work perfectly until the moment you plug a monitor into your docking station.

Congratulations! You, like so many of us, have purchased a very expensive USB hub.

moyaa1022
04-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Is there any official word on a fix? As of now I've been forced to have one monitor off for almost two weeks already.

Wim
04-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Yes, this is being worked on at the moment. Seems to be something different NVIDIA are doing in their latest graphics drivers again.

Wim

moyaa1022
05-14-2013, 03:25 AM
Is there any update on this?

moyaa1022
05-14-2013, 03:38 AM
With the newest version (7.2M1) I have gotten the screens to stop flickering, but I still get a "D3D9 Device" error on all my DirectX 9 games, with the only solution being to uninstall Displaylink entirely every time I want to play a game...