PDA

View Full Version : Lenovo Thinkpad USB 3.0 XP video problems

Trycker
03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi!

The Displaylink works great for connecting my Apple Cinema HD Display and ordinary work as surfing the internet etc.

It also work for watching videos but the picture gets all distorted when watching videos. I have tryed both VLC and MPC and it is both the same.

The laptop has Windows XP pro sp3 and is fully upgraded. (The Lenovo Thinkpad however does not have any firmware upgrades, It doesnt work to update...)

The picture in the videos has very rough edges on everything, what can I do to fix this?
The problem in the picture of Penny below.

http://i.imgur.com/mcZR7uH.jpg (http://imgur.com/mcZR7uH)

Wim
03-25-2013, 01:11 PM
On XP our driver uses software rendering, so there is no hardware acceleration to smooth the scaled video image. This is why the pixels look much more blocky on video.

On Windows Vista onwards, we use the GPU to accelerate video and it removes this issue.

Wim

Trycker
03-25-2013, 01:23 PM
On XP our driver uses software rendering, so there is no hardware acceleration to smooth the scaled video image. This is why the pixels look much more blocky on video.

On Windows Vista onwards, we use the GPU to accelerate video and it removes this issue.

Wim

Thanks for the quick reply!

Is there anything I can do to fix this or did I just waste 190€ on the DisplayLink?

Wim
03-25-2013, 04:38 PM
It's the pixels the OS is giving us, and as it's software rendered, there is no hardware acceleration to make it look smoother.

That's the way it was designed to run on XP I'm afraid.

Wim

Trycker
03-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Ok thanks anyway!
Next question: Can I use the dock to play games such as Grand theft auto etc? or would that have the same problem or maybe get solved with an OS upgrade?

luiset83
03-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Ok thanks anyway!
Next question: Can I use the dock to play games such as Grand theft auto etc? or would that have the same problem or maybe get solved with an OS upgrade?

If you upgrade to Windows7 you'll (most likely) solve the first video issue with the dock. That being said, others have had issues with certain games while having a DisplayLink dock connected at the same time, so you'd have to experiment with that.

Trycker
03-27-2013, 08:48 AM
I am about to install win 7, Had it installed and then switched to XP... Great if I can use it to play, I am having a few older games in mind such as GTA San Andres, Final Fantasy etc.

Mostly a nostalgia game trip id like to do, Ill report back in the future with a report on what worked and what didnīt if someone else ever has the same questions :)

Thanks for your replys!