PDA

View Full Version : Finder/mouse drag-and-drop issue?

andyschwartz
03-20-2013, 03:20 PM
When i install the latest driver into my 17"mbp running 10.8.3 it causes issues where i cant click-drag-and-drop anything. It is as if my left mouse button is not released and the item i drag stays selected and linked to the mouse movement. When I uninstall the driver this goes away. This makes it impossible to work.

I am running 10.8.3 on a 2010 MBP (2.8GHz Core 2 duo, 8GB Ram), with the MonoPrice USB 2.0 to VGA display adapter and the 2.0 Beta 1 Driver. Usb Mouse.

Anyone experience this? I have been unable to search and find this specifically.

andyschwartz
03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Can anyone say they have the same issue?

andyschwartz
03-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Quite Annoying.

Wim
03-22-2013, 04:28 PM
I think this is a known issue and is a bug in the Apple OS. Does the problem get fixed if you sleep and then wake the computer?

Thanks

Wim

andyschwartz
03-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Interesting,

It does go away with sleep/wake. The new 2.0 software didn't fix it either.

AT least this does, which at least allows me to work.

Thanks.

Carlo
03-25-2013, 03:34 PM
We have an automated workaround for this OS issue in the 2.0 driver. To make sure it can run, "Require password for sleep and screen saver" option must be either disabled or enabled but set to a value different than "immediately".
"After 5 seconds" or higher is ok.
The option can be set in System prefs->Security&Privacy.

Cheers,
Carlo

Everett
04-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Hi Carlo-

Thanks for the details regarding screensaver login times/etc. I changed the settings you mentioned, and found no change in behavior on my system: regardless of these settings I cannot drag any shortcuts or files to my USB attached displays. I also tried a sleep/wake cycle and rebooting after making these changes, and didn't find any difference in behavior.

It might be of interest that if I change my menu bar to one of the USB attached displays, all the shortcuts and icons follow, and can then not be moved OFF of the USB attached displays.

Please let me know if logs or other details would be helpful in resolving this.

Carlo
04-05-2013, 04:44 AM
Hi Everett,

Yes the logs would be useful at this stage, the drag&drop issue could affect more systems than we thought and we may have to extend the workaround.
The Apple's internal bug ID for this issue is 9723369. You could help by raising a new bug on bugreporter.apple.com describing the issue and referencing the internal bug.

About the desktop icons again it's all managed by the OS. I have to ask the team, I have not noticed this. You may have automatic sorting enabled though.
If you control-click on the desktop is any of the "Sort By" or "Clean up By" options enabled?

Cheers,
Carlo

Everett
04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Hi Carlo-

Thanks for the additional details.

I've double-checked my sort ("none" is the selected option) and clean up by (none are selected) settings, and neither seems to be relevant.

Logs are attached- I'll raise the issue with Apple as well, however please let me know if you've any other suggestions or if other details will be helpful.

Sorry for my delayed response- I've enabled email notification on this thread.

Best wishes-

Jeff

Everett
04-25-2013, 11:49 PM
I am now able to drag icons to my USB attached displays with no issue: in addition to the settings Carlo suggested changing, I also found it necessary to do a NVRAM reset.

This may be because I do a lot of testing of USB attached displays, and had several previous versions installed, as well as some other 3rd party apps that could have been causing issues.

Hope this helps!

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies

marco77
05-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi there,
Like many of you, I got the dreaded drag-and-drop issue after installing the displaylink drivers on my MBP 2008 (version 2.0). Totally messed up my workflow :mad::mad::mad: so I uninstalled it (thanks for the uninstaller guys!!) and everything worked fine again. However, this meant no extra display.

The funny thing is however that I did not get the same problems on my MB 2008 Unibody so I got the idea that maybe, just maybe, something went wrong during the installation on the MBP. To test this, I re-installed the 2.0 drivers on the MBP and, to my welcome suprise, all seems to work fine. I rebooted and done several shutdown-boot-ups to see whether the problem re-appears. So far, no problems.

I don't know of this all makes any sense and to be honest, I don't really care as long as works again.

Hope this helps also with others!

Good luck!