PDA

View Full Version : Stability of the DL USB 3 Docks

jolt
02-27-2013, 03:49 AM
Hi,

My new laptop gets here tomorrow (ASUS UX31A - Windows 8) and my plan was to setup 2 monitors (1920x1200) and get one of DisplayLink's USB 3 docking stations (Lenovo or HP), but then I read this forum and am a bit concerned due to all the reported problems. Now of course, it is usually the people who have problems that end up here, but does the USB 3 dock work for most people? It seems like a great idea - very convenient to simply plug in a USB cable - love it - but that of course assumes it works. Do certain versions of the hardware have less problems than others? The HP one looks to have the better specs from glancing things over. I mostly just want it to work without hassle. Back in the day, I had the patience to configure 4 monitors under Linux in X windows running through xinerama - I guess getting older has made me more impatient and figure if I am paying for it, I just want it to work - when I read things in the forum from the DL team saying things like "I think this is an effect of the pixel encoding on Windows 8.", it makes me nervous to buy - that coupled with other posts from users about flickering/mouse jerkiness/etc.

How stable is the DL USB docking solution?

P.S. Too bad to hear about the Linux support for the usb 3 chip - my netbook runs fedora (no usb 3 on it though)

Dan
03-03-2013, 08:34 PM
We've sold millions of them - you are correct that you are only seeing the cream of the issues on this site. The majority of customers are happy - but you are welcome back here if you are one of them with fine acuity!

Sorry about the lack of support on Fedora.. we have many issues to resolve before getting to USB 3.0 (DL3) support on Linux. If you are desperate there is support for our older generation of chips.