PDA

View Full Version : Occasionally Very Laggy Mouse

Dan Santee
02-20-2013, 02:16 AM
I purchased a USB3 DisplayLink adapter (Plugable) to go with my Surface Pro, and sometimes the mouse on that display becomes extremely laggy. Here's what's happening:

If no widows are open on the DL monitor, the mouse is fine. Sometimes, though, when a window is on the screen, the mouse is very jumpy and hard to use. The open window will "flicker" ever so slightly, with whites becoming off-white and then back to white. Whenever this flicker effect is happening, the mouse is laggy. If I stop moving the mouse, the flicker stops, as well. It doesn't matter what the open window is - I've seen it in Visual Studio, SQL Server Development Studio, IE10, and others.

I posted in another thread about the problem with slow Modern UI apps, but I wasn't sure this was related. I'm really hoping that the DL team can get these problems sorted out, because I'm really happy with the USB3 adapter otherwise.

Wim
02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
I think this is an effect of the pixel encoding on Windows 8. We have a good idea of what the problem is... just finding a way to improve it.

Wim

Dan Santee
02-20-2013, 05:21 PM
What's interesting to me is that some programs cause the problem and some don't. Even different sites in IE10 will cause the problem to differing degrees - for example, Facebook does it a lot, but other (usually simpler) sites won't exhibit the problem at all. Regardless, let me know if there's any additional information I can provide.

scotthellewell
02-24-2013, 01:24 AM
I think this is an effect of the pixel encoding on Windows 8. We have a good idea of what the problem is... just finding a way to improve it.

Wim

I am having this problem as well. The problem seems to only come up when the mouse cursor changes. If you are in an app that has a consistent mouse cursor, all is well. A good example of this is if you just see the desktop and can move the mouse all you want without the lag.

When you have a webpage and move your mouse you see lots of lag as it jumps from the pointer to the text selector to the what ever mouse cursor.

Obviously this isn't much fun.

EDIT:

As I have continued to attempt to solve this issue, I have found something that makes a world of difference.

Go to your mouse pointer settings and turn on the mouse trail. I put the following distance to the lowest setting and I hardly notice the trail, but the lag and stuttering of the mouse as the cursor changes has disappeared.

sfted999
02-27-2013, 11:06 PM
As I have continued to attempt to solve this issue, I have found something that makes a world of difference.

Go to your mouse pointer settings and turn on the mouse trail. I put the following distance to the lowest setting and I hardly notice the trail, but the lag and stuttering of the mouse as the cursor changes has disappeared.

That definitely made a big difference for me. It's not perfect, but a big improvement. Thanks for the tip!!