PDA

View Full Version : Random Screen Freezing - MacBook Pro + See2 Extreme

BigPrince
12-13-2010, 09:45 PM
So, I've been reading a lot on the different incarnations of issues but wanted to share what I am seeing.
Each time Apple puts out a security update, it's Russian roulette whether my Tritton See2 Extreme will work or not. I have a 2.53 Core2 Duo Macbook pro circa 12/09 and Tritton See2 Extreme.
Before the last update, it worked great.
The one before that - it didn't work at all.
After this most recent update - it works and then freezes randomly. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes, sometimes 4 hours. Only the display freezes that the displaylink is driving. The mouse still shows up on that screen which is crazy. Sometimes if I unplug it from the laptop, and replug it in, it'll come back. Sometimes it just blinks and then dies and does not come on, or sometimes it does nothing. If I reboot it 95% of the time it comes back up but then it's a waiting game till it crashes. I've tried the Tritton driver and the most recent DisplayLink driver. Both have the same issue.
I don't know who's side of this driver issue the problem lies, Apple or DisplayLink, but I am trying one other brand I ordered this week and if it does not work I am selling both my Macbook Pro and DisplayLinks and moving back to a PC. DisplayLink, please fix this issue in a timely manner so I don't have to sell mine and ward all my coworkers and colleagues away from your solution. It's a great solution but it needs better execution in support.
If there are any better debug logs or information please let me know. I am an IT Security professional and know my way around but to be honest my mac-fu is not as strong as my other skillsets but give me a general direction and I'll get you what you need.

BigPrince
12-13-2010, 09:47 PM
I forgot, one other annoyance that I don't see as pressing but - whenever my mac turns off the displays for inactivity(I don't let it sleep), the displaylink driven screen never turns off. It is so annoying but at least I can work around that.