PDA

View Full Version : 1.6b3 release impressions

mastahype
10-01-2010, 06:41 AM
So far, this has definitely solved the lock/freeze after wake issue for me. I've removed all my workarounds and hacks and have not had any issues so far. Anyone else have success or failure?

Thanks DisplayLink for finally addressing this. However, I'm sure most of us would have appreciated a simple update conveying the expected delay. We were beginning to think you'd given up Mac support.

bernie
10-03-2010, 04:42 AM
One of our users has posted some experiences in their comments here: http://plugable.com/2010/09/29/displaylink-release-new-mac-driver-beta-1-6-beta-3/

In short, things appeared to be better behavior at first, but they're still finding some significant things going wrong with sleep/wake on their system.

They're using Apple DVI-> ADC converters for connecting both DVI and USB to older ADC Cinema Displays, so theirs is a challenging setup.

mastahype
10-07-2010, 04:15 PM
After a few more days, I can say the same. Sleep/wake was working so much better for first few days. Now I'm getting more serious display issues, even affecting my primary display. I've had to hold the power button down a couple times already, which I could at least avoid with b2 and hacks. My MBP also seems to have trouble going to sleep - the log spew seems to indicate it's the DisplayLink Driver again. I manually slept the MBP only to have it wake back up within seconds and massive logs for reconnecting or notification messages. I'll be sending the last two log captures to the feedback site.

I had just been watching some videos on my primary display.

Carlo
10-07-2010, 09:43 PM
After a few more days, I can say the same. Sleep/wake was working so much better for first few days. Now I'm getting more serious display issues, even affecting my primary display. I've had to hold the power button down a couple times already, which I could at least avoid with b2 and hacks. My MBP also seems to have trouble going to sleep - the log spew seems to indicate it's the DisplayLink Driver again. I manually slept the MBP only to have it wake back up within seconds and massive logs for reconnecting or notification messages. I'll be sending the last two log captures to the feedback site.

I had just been watching some videos on my primary display.

Mastahype please make sure to describe exactly what are the more serious display issues when you send the logs.
The logs you are from a user space component, not from the driver, and are generally innocuous.

mastahype
10-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Well, I don't recall how I described it in the feedback. My primary display had some kind of re-drawing issue. The screen was 90% black with the top 10% only showing the background. It was clear the black part seemed to be shimmering like the black part was being re-drawn. I also use a program called BlackOut to dim the displays, oddly by drawing into an invisible window when dimming. I've quit that app now and will be monitoring DisplayLink behavior before and after video playback. My feedback has mastahype in the email address so you can correlate.

Carlo
10-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Looking at the logs now, thank you very much for sending them. They are more messy than the last ones, there is a lot of software installed on this system.
About the "DLDistributedNotificationCenter" messages, they are harmless. Annoying, but harmless: that component does not need to have 100% availability.
The thing that really worries me are USB transfer errors that were not there in previous logs. Don't know what happened there, it might be a timing issue introduced in b3 or a hardware issue.
A software issue would still require at least another bug to occur at the same time to cause problems to the internal screen.. not likely but worth looking into, will try to reproduce on a system with a similar power management.
If it's a problem you can reliably reproducible can you uninstall the DL drivers and see if the problem depends on them?

mastahype
10-13-2010, 06:27 AM
I can try uninstalling if that problem happens again. Only issue I've seen since then is the DL display not waking up once but a displaysleep/displaywake cycle resolved that. I also haven't been using my macbook quite as often this week. I'll post updates.