PDA

View Full Version : No rotation option

ihateregistering
09-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Mac Pro 2010 10.6.4, ATI 5870, 2x Dell 1706FPV and 1x Dell U2711

I don't have the option to rotate the 1706FPV that connected to my evga uv-12. In the display pref there is no option to rotate. I do get that funny res of 0x0.

Carlo
09-23-2010, 05:53 AM
1.6b3 will remove the 0x0 resolution and improve the resolution management.
About the rotation problem there are some relevant errors in the logs. I think you're connecting this Dell 1706FPV to the adapter, and at least once the edid has not been read correctly it seems (cabling issue?).
First thing I'd restore the DisplayLink settings to a pristine state. The quick way is to use the uninstaller in /Applications/DisplayLink, and without rebooting installing the 1.6b2 again.
However before that I'd do a repair permissions with Disk Utility: you have all sorts of errors in the system log and some of them are permissions related.
If this does not help I'd wait for 1.6b3 to see if the new resolution management there changes anything.

ihateregistering
09-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks Carlo, I tried what you said and no luck. I guess I'll just have to wait for b3 to come out :(

Attached is the updated system profile after doing what you said.

I've rotated the monitor before on leopard and have never had any compatibility issues with the 1706 until I upgraded to a mac pro.

fhall1
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Wow first mention of a new beta on the horizon.....about time.

Carlo
09-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks Carlo, I tried what you said and no luck. I guess I'll just have to wait for b3 to come out :(

Attached is the updated system profile after doing what you said.

I've rotated the monitor before on leopard and have never had any compatibility issues with the 1706 until I upgraded to a mac pro.

Well the profile looks better now but no hints about the rotation issue, I'm sorry.
Actually I just remembered that I've seen the same issue once on a first generation MacBook Pro. Problem was, the rotation drop down disappeared from the screen connected to the DVI port as well.
I tried everything, starting from uninstalling our driver of course but without any success. I had to reinstall the OS (easy with 10.6 fortunately) to restore the rotation.
If you can't rotate the other screens as well then this might be the solution. If you can rotate them I don't think it's worth trying the reinstall.

ihateregistering
09-24-2010, 12:23 AM
This is a week old mac pro :(

Displaylink was probably one of the first things I installed on the machine.

I don't think reinstalling will help.

ihateregistering
09-26-2010, 03:10 PM
I fixed the issue by running an apple script that rotates my display.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071003040156502

there are also a few gui programs out there that will do the same thing

siliconman
10-01-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm seeing the same problem, the popup menu to choose rotation is not available on the displaylink attached monitor, but is available on the monitor attached via the mini-displayport. (thus the applescripts mentioned don't help)