PDA

View Full Version : Failing to wake up from sleep? Try disabling your screen saver.

cr3
06-05-2010, 06:57 PM
As the title suggests, mine was crashing out, but I noticed the screensaver glitch slightly before it froze.

I set my screensaver time to "never" and have since had no problem coming out of sleep mode.

I hope this helps people and isn't just a coincidence!

Cheers,

riverr02
06-16-2010, 12:58 AM
I'll try it. Hasn't been a major issue, but I'd be lying if I said it never affected me. Thanks.

mastahype
06-18-2010, 06:16 AM
I've had this lockup issue several times now when waking from a long sleep (longer than 5 minutes). Other than that, everything is fine. I've waited several minutes (10-15) many times and my MBP will recover, so it's unclear what is going on (I haven't checked console messages yet). It appears to lockup the computer, but many times its just the screens. My sound and keyboard still work.

It's almost like letting it go back to sleep allows it to wake up properly, for lack of a more technical description.

aiyagari
06-28-2010, 08:49 PM
There is an option in the Screen Saver preferences -- "Main screen only" -- I'm going to try that and see if that solves it also.

aiyagari
07-07-2010, 07:36 PM
No, the "main screen only" checkbox doesn't solve it.

Also, disabling the screen saver entirely doesn't solve it either.

It seems that when the display goes to sleep, that's when it crashes.

mastahype
07-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Interesting. Yesterday I had just set my display sleep to be the same as the computer sleep (since apple won't let you "disable" the display sleep) to see if that had impact. I haven't noticed the "lockup" yet...

aiyagari
07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Tried that... does not help. I think the only solution is to disable sleep entirely.

aiyagari
07-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Possible solution -- seemed to have worked today.

Use sleepwatcher. Add the -S and -W options to /Library/LaunchDaemons/de.bernhard-baehr.sleepwatcher.plist to run display sleep and wakeup scripts.

The display sleep script should be:

launchctl remove com.displaylink.usbnivolistener

The display wakeup script should be:

launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.displaylink.usbnivolistener.plist

This will cause the driver to be disabled during display sleep and re-enabled during display wakeup. It is very fast, unlike the uninstall/reinstall driver trick. The driver stays installed, just disabled.

aiyagari
07-20-2010, 10:08 PM
The solution I posted above has now worked for 2 days. Previously it was crashing 3 times a day -- so I'm starting to feel good about this. Try it out and let me know what you think!

mastahype
07-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Which version of the driver are you using? What OS X version and hardware revision? My driver version was installed as a launch agent, not as a daemon. Therefore, the command to remove you gave does not work for me (I already use sleepwatcher). I've managed to directly remove the driver, which resulted in an a kernel panic.

-Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on Late '08 MBP (32 bit mode).

slessard
07-29-2010, 10:21 AM
My driver version was installed as a launch agent, not as a daemon. Therefore, the command to remove you gave does not work for me

If it is installed as a launch agent (which seems weird) then I believe the command should be

launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/com.displaylink.usbnivolistener.plist

or

launchctl load ~/LaunchAgents/com.displaylink.usbnivolistener.plist

aiyagari
08-02-2010, 07:59 PM
There are two processes installed by the DisplayLink installation.

There is a LaunchDaemon com.displaylink.usbnivolistener loaded from the file /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.displaylink.usbnivolistener.plist

There is also a LaunchAgent com.displaylink.useragent loaded from the file /Library/LaunchAgents/com.displaylink.useragent.plist

Both must be running for it to work.

Do not just try to remove the driver with kextunload. It will crash. If you instead use launchctl to remove the controlling process of the driver, it goes away cleanly.

My procedure in the "solution" thread stops the daemon only on display sleep, and then restarts the daemon and agent on display wakeup (so the agent syncs properly with the new instance of the daemon)

I am wondering if you may have installed the DisplayLink drivers as "my user only" rather than "for all users". I must have installed it "for all users" given where the installation put the agent on my system (also MacBookPro i5 with 10.6.4). Still no crashes since I implemented this solution.

aiyagari
08-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Here is the Hardware Overview from my Mac Book Pro. Note also that I am using the 64-bit Snow Leopard (just got my machine this past April) -- I don't know if that could result in some differences.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.58f15
Serial Number (system): WQ0161L4AGU
Hardware UUID: 499A36D0-1C91-5CB8-9186-E00A0B3B6374
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

ramen99
08-05-2010, 02:19 AM
Have any of you had the 'wont wake from sleep" problem when using Logitech's latest mouse driver? (Logitech COntrol Center v 3.3 for 64-bit 10.4.x)

I disabled it and now waking from sleep is not a problem. Maybe the wake problem could also be attributed to Logitech's driver?

Just an idea...

My hardware = 2.16 Ghz Intel Core2 (original 20" Imac with Intel). Ati Graphics card.

Pawel
09-29-2010, 04:13 PM
We are happy to inform that there is a new 1.6 Beta 3 driver available for download from here (http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=468).

This release has fixed a GUI freeze issue when resuming from sleep on some systems.

Regards