PDA

View Full Version : New 27" iMac, OSX 10.6.3, UV+16

jdenmark
05-21-2010, 01:07 AM
I cannot make this thing work! I have tred the different versions, including the beta. I've tried different USB ports to rule that out. No matter what, I cannot get a picture on my screen.

I just bought the UV+16 on Amazon new. I'm at the end of my rope; at what point do I start considering a refund?

My monitor is detected, and my Display settings allows me to set the arrangement of the screens as though it is present - but nothing I do will get anything but a black screen. I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 22" monitor, that previously worked fine.

Attached is the Display Link Information file. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

jdenmark
05-21-2010, 01:20 AM
I might have found a clue...

I was connecting with my DVI cable. On a hunch, I hooked up a standard VGA cable instead, and used the adapter included with the UV+. It works!

So, the problem for me seems to be somehow related to DVI.

For the record, I tried another monitor, and had exactly the same results - DVI didn't work, but VGA did.

vid
08-26-2010, 08:43 PM
I've got an iMac 27" quad core i5 running OSX 10.6.4 with the ATI Radeo HD 4850 Graphics card here at work. I have an old 23" cinema display on the Mini DisplayPort and I'm using the 1.6.2b driver on an Arkview - viewplex: USB1612 adapter supporting 1920x1080 res. for my 3rd display, an old 19" Dell ultrabright (maxed at 1280x1024).
The displayLink adapter worked great on the first, third and fifth day. On the even day's I had no display. The green light on the adapter wouldn't even light up until I changed USB ports. Worse still, the offended USB port would be dead for the remainder of the day.
I uninstalled, reinstalled 1.5 with no success and went back to 1.6.2b today.
Still no luck until I saw jdenmark's post.
Putting on the VGA adapter did the trick! I have my 3rd monitor back!
Of course this is the 7th day so if I still have it tomorrow then I'll celebrate.

Thanks jdenmark!

Carlo
09-14-2010, 12:18 PM
The logs from jdenmark show that the display was recognised and had a valid EDID over DVI. No particular errors found, I expected the display to show up in the display list in the system profile... and it should be there, otherwise why should Mac OS include this 'ghost' display in the layout? This is puzzling.
Question: connecting through DVI and opening the Display Preferences what is the title in the display configuration window for the ghost display? You can access it by clicking on "Gather Windows".
Unfortunately I don't have many more experiments that can be done remotely, maybe trying the same hardware on a PC with R5.4 could exclude an hardware issue with the DVI port on the adapter.

vid's problem looks to be hardware, if the same DVI cable and display work on another DVI port I'd contact the manufacturer for a replacement.

vid
09-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the reply Carlo.

It could be hardware but the 'dead' usb ports would be working again the next day so I'm more inclined to believe it some software/system conflict. I read somewhere else on this forum that there may be some OSX 10.6 Video Switcher issues. I don't recall was that was about but it seemed to resonate with my problem.

Last Thursday I got the Multi-Language Screen of Death (MLSOD) so I've pulled the displayLink adapter off my system to eliminate any external variables.
Ever since I installed the displayLink adapter my system has been having mini-crashes. Nothing major but when ever I'm idle for more that 30 minutes all processes are killed and I'm logged out. When I return I have to log back in again and the console shows a crash message along with 'crash reporter not found' or something like that. But the good news is that I just went to lunch and my machine had another mini-crash. All displayLink software and hardware has been removed from my system for several days. So I'm happy to say I don't suspect displayLink of causing any issues on my system!

The machine is only a month or two old so while it may not be related I'll wait to reinstall until I isolate the issue.
I'll be keeping an eye out for new releases too. I liked having 3 monitors!

Thanks