PDA

View Full Version : 10.6.3 causes rotation to be broken

danseq
03-30-2010, 12:34 AM
I emailed internally about this but thought I would post here.

both 1.5 and 1.6 work fine in unrotated mode, and I had 90 degree rotation working fine in 10.6.2, but updated to 10.6.3 today and Apple must have changed something because rotation causes the screen to be squashed and bitmapped looking. Basically unuseable. Nothing I've tried has helped.

nejec
03-30-2010, 07:46 AM
both 1.5 and 1.6 work fine in unrotated mode, and I had 90 degree rotation working fine in 10.6.2, but updated to 10.6.3 today and Apple must have changed something because rotation causes the screen to be squashed and bitmapped looking. Basically unuseable. Nothing I've tried has helped.
Same thing happens to me... unrotated mode working fine, 90 degrees rotation is scrambled...

yvess
03-30-2010, 01:00 PM

I also affected by this problem. This makes my DisplayLinks Displays unusable :-(
Hopping for a quick fix.

Jim Bauer
03-30-2010, 02:48 PM

:p I had the same proplem ... swithed to horizontal ... then back to 90 degrees ...... voila .... works fine so far.

Jim

Jim Bauer
03-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Not so fast the screen is split 80/20 ....... sorry

giesen
03-31-2010, 01:06 AM
Same problem. My screen is rotated 90 degrees and is garbled and squished. It worked fine if I switched to 270 degrees for a little bit, but no longer. Rebooting, or unplugging/replugging has not solved the problem.

danseq
03-31-2010, 07:56 AM
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11296834#11296834

Admin
03-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for raising this issue with us. We are looking into the problem, and I hope to be able to give you an update as soon as possible.

Regards

Seb

joet3ch
03-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for taking action on this quickly. If you need any testers for the drivers, please let me know since I am super eager to get back into portrait mode :)

-joe

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for raising this issue with us. We are looking into the problem, and I hope to be able to give you an update as soon as possible.

Regards

Seb

walton
04-01-2010, 07:57 PM
exact same problem happening to me with the 10.6.3 update.

kvermilion
04-02-2010, 07:13 AM
I see the same problem here.
I had e-mailed my OEM thinking I had a device failure, and their tech did not see the same problem with 10.6.3. Maybe this problem only presents itself with certain resolutions or if OSX is updated while the display link monitor is operating in rotated mode?

walton
04-02-2010, 08:11 AM
I updated to 10.6.3 without it being rotated. In fact I hadn't even bought DisplayLink device yet. I run it at 1024x1280. Switching to other resolutions does not solve the problem though.

MAOJC
04-03-2010, 01:37 PM
I have 2 of these on a MAC mini v3, both with portrait rotation. Same problem, thank goodness for time machine to roll it back to 10.6.2. I opened a support call with Apple to confirm this as an issue and to allow them to go back to OSX development to make sure the changes they made in 10.6.3 are not to blame.

So I actually have 4 heads on this mini, and have been debating swapping the landscape displays driven off the MAC internal adapters with the portrait displays. This would/could solve the problem but I prefer the landscape displays as the main ones.

Any progress on a fix? Any word from Apple if they are taking responsibility?

pdimarzio
04-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Same for me ... boy I wish I knew this was going to happen, I would have held off on the 10.6.3 upgrade. This is terrible, I absolutely rely on my dual screen horizontal/vertical configuration. Help!!!

riverr02
04-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Same here. I've got two monitors connected to my iMac 9,1, with one connected via DisplayPort and the other via DisplayLink; both are in portrait mode to review radiology images.

I'd like to echo all the other comments here and elsewhere to the developer to please come up with a driver upgrade- changing them to landscape mode isn't an option for me, and I need this ASAP for work. Next time, I won't upgrade my OS for a while after Apple blesses it... lesson learned.

wehrenberg
04-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Same issue for me using ViBook USB video adapter ... my system updated this morning and the portrait mode failed immediately. Hopefully there will be a resolution for this ASAP. Thanks for your help.

ecsherwo
04-05-2010, 06:28 PM
I too am affected by this. Anxiously awaiting a fix...

riverr02
04-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Is there anyone we can contact to expedite the modification of the driver? Or to hear about an approximate timeframe for its release?

joet3ch
04-06-2010, 01:53 AM
What is the status of this issue?

What is the ETA for the driver update?

VeryVito
04-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I'll add my name to the list of people anxiously awaiting a fix. I was on vacation when I updated my MBP to 10.6.3, and just noticed this issue when I returned home to my multi-monitor setup.

Claus Stadel
04-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I have the same problem. Really need a fix soon! Using a Soundgraph FingerVU 436 monitor for my project at the university, so really need an update. Would be very unhappy if I'm forced to run it on Windows...

pdimarzio
04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
In my two-monitor config the horizontal screen is driven by Apple's mini/DVI adapter and the vertical is (well, was) driven by an IOGEAR USB/DVI adapter using the DisplayLink driver. I've had to turn the DisplayLink screen horizontal because of this bug (the driver still works with no rotation).

Just out of curiosity though I tried rotating the Apple-driven screen and it worked like a champ. I can't really use this setup though because it seems like the screen driven off the mini port will always be the primary, which I don't want vertical, but I found it interesting that the OS can still do a 90 or 270 rotation but the DL driver cannot.

MCV
04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
I have the same problem. Really need a fix soon! Using a Soundgraph FingerVU 436 monitor for my project at the university, so really need an update. Would be very unhappy if I'm forced to run it on Windows...

You should consider rolling back to 10.6.2 then, especially if your project work depends on it. To be honest, though, I wouldn't be using beta software on a machine I'm doing critical project work on. Nor would I be updating anything once I know the machine is at least functioning stably. You're just asking for trouble.

MCV
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Just curious -- of those having issues, how many applied the update through SOFTWARE UPDATE? Has anyone tried downloading the 10.6.3 Combo Update and reinstalling?

Download here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017

kristjan
04-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Just curious -- of those having issues, how many applied the update through SOFTWARE UPDATE? Has anyone tried downloading the 10.6.3 Combo Update and reinstalling?

Download here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017

Did that, no joy. My MIMO 710 still shows a garbled and squished desktop in portrait mode.

Admin
04-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi All,

I just wanted to update you all, just in case you thought we had forgotten about in at DisplayLink HQ.

So we are still investigating the issue, and its proving to be pretty challenging, as right now Apple have yet to document what they have changed in the area that affects us. Therefore we are having to do some pretty in depth rummaging around to find out what has caused this issue.

As I've said before we are looking at this issue and are trying to find a resolution as quickly as possible.

Regards

Seb

seattleDev
04-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I have two portrait-mode monitors on the sides of my main monitors -- same garbled rotation issues as others have noted with 10.6.3. I LOVE the product -- look forward to a fix. Thanks!

joet3ch
04-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the update!

Hi All,

I just wanted to update you all, just in case you thought we had forgotten about in at DisplayLink HQ.

So we are still investigating the issue, and its proving to be pretty challenging, as right now Apple have yet to document what they have changed in the area that affects us. Therefore we are having to do some pretty in depth rummaging around to find out what has caused this issue.

As I've said before we are looking at this issue and are trying to find a resolution as quickly as possible.

Regards

Seb

MAOJC
04-08-2010, 08:51 PM
You should consider rolling back to 10.6.2 then, especially if your project work depends on it. To be honest, though, I wouldn't be using beta software on a machine I'm doing critical project work on. Nor would I be updating anything once I know the machine is at least functioning stably. You're just asking for trouble.

timemachine is your friend in this instance!

kristjan
04-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi All,

Regards

Seb

Don't worry, I know what Apple (and Microsoft for that matter) can be like. I've had both of them ignore bug-reports and change API's on me without documenting what they did often enough to feel your pain. :D

MAOJC
04-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Hi All,

Regards

Seb

It has been over a week, can we get an update?

fhall1
04-18-2010, 07:11 PM
This is causing an issue with Parallels and VMware Fusion. They both either bluescreen or blacscreen if you try to use either a bootcamp partition or "software" VM with displaylink drivers installed.

C'mon guys, lets get this fixed.

Admin
04-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi All,

So at the end of last week we managed to review Apple's (public) source code and are not surprised to find out the update has broken us, as they have significantly changed (nearly 50% of the code) in some core areas we interact with.

We believe we have managed to get some form of fix to this issue, and are now reviewing the changes to ensure there are no major issues with the current change.

We are aiming to release a beta release as soon as we can, to enable all you affected, to have some form of usability back.

When i have a clearly understanding of when our initial tests are set to be complete i will update you all.

Again apologies for any inconvenience this has caused, we are trying to resolve this as quickly as we can.

Seb

La_Tristesse
04-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi All,

So at the end of last week we managed to review Apple's (public) source code and are not surprised to find out the update has broken us, as they have significantly changed (nearly 50% of the code) in some core areas we interact with.

Seb

So this must happen even before 10.6.3 because I'm running 10.6.2 with Parallel Desktops 5.09344 and it isn't working either.

Wim
04-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi All

We've just released a new beta driver that should fix this. It's available here (http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=299).

Thanks for your patience while we've been working on this.

Wim

MAOJC
04-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Can I get some feedback before rolling this one on? Anyone had any luck with it?

Claus Stadel
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Can I get some feedback before rolling this one on? Anyone had any luck with it?

So far it seems to be working fine. Thanks a lot for the Beta!

riverr02
04-23-2010, 07:26 PM
So far so good! Also have it working with Parallels, allowing it to use all 3 screens (with the 2 attached to my iMac both in portrait). Thanks so very, VERY much!

fhall1
04-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Rotation is working with 10.6.3 on my iMac now...Parallels still won't load beyond a black screen unless I boot in safe mode - not sure if it's a Parallels or Displaylink issue. Fusion seems to be working ok now.

pdimarzio
04-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Just applied the beta and it's looking good for me too. Whew! Thanks ... will there be a post to this thread whenever the code exits beta stage?

MAOJC
04-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Installed and then upgraded to 10.6.3. SUCCESS, thanks for the update.

seattleDev
05-04-2010, 09:27 PM
1.6 beta 2 fixed my portrait mode problems completely -- thank you!!

config: pre-unibody macbook pro running 10.6.3 with 2 iogear adapters in portrait mode on either side of a main monitor.