PDA

View Full Version : DWM (Desktop Windows Manager) Crashing

pratthinds
02-12-2013, 01:02 PM
DWM, which handles aero effects and most of the fancy helpful features of Win7 crashes immediately after loading. I am running the latest drivers for both my DisplayLink (an EVGA UV+ 19) and my NVidia 8500 on my Win 7 64bit Pro desktop. DWM used to work fine with the to graphics adapters but after I think the DisplayLink 7.0 driver update DWM crashes all the time. I have tried various driver combinations and so far the only way to get DWM to work again is to completely uninstall the DisplayLink drivers.

I had hoped the next DisplayLink update would solve all of my woes. Now, I am thinking about going back to two monitors and ditching the USB add-on.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks!

Loboman
02-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Running Win7 64 on Samsung Series 9 ultrabook with Targus usb3 dock all latest drivers (as of Jan 2013) installed:

Every once in a while I get the following messages popping up:

"igfxext module has stopped working"

"Desktop Window Manager has stopped working and was closed"

Both times I just closed the offending window (x) and went about my work with what I believe to be no further difficulty. However, I'm not sure about this and the messages are concerning.

Is this a problem Intel needs to address?

Wim
02-13-2013, 08:48 AM
DWM, which handles aero effects and most of the fancy helpful features of Win7 crashes immediately after loading. I am running the latest drivers for both my DisplayLink (an EVGA UV+ 19) and my NVidia 8500 on my Win 7 64bit Pro desktop. DWM used to work fine with the to graphics adapters but after I think the DisplayLink 7.0 driver update DWM crashes all the time. I have tried various driver combinations and so far the only way to get DWM to work again is to completely uninstall the DisplayLink drivers.

This DWM crash with NVIDIA GPUs should be solved in v7.1 M1. Can you try the latest software?

Thanks

Wim

Wim
02-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Running Win7 64 on Samsung Series 9 ultrabook with Targus usb3 dock all latest drivers (as of Jan 2013) installed:

Every once in a while I get the following messages popping up:

"igfxext module has stopped working"

"Desktop Window Manager has stopped working and was closed"

Both times I just closed the offending window (x) and went about my work with what I believe to be no further difficulty. However, I'm not sure about this and the messages are concerning.

This DWM crash is caused by the Intel app not expecting there to be more than 2 displays connected to the PC.

It should be possible to stop igfxext running at start up to prevent this. The app only appears to manage the layout of external Intel displays, which Windows 7 does anyway, so you should not see any issues by stopping this process.

Wim

pratthinds
02-25-2013, 07:24 PM
This DWM crash with NVIDIA GPUs should be solved in v7.1 M1. Can you try the latest software?

Thanks

Wim

I have tried the latest software and still have the crashing issue.