PDA

View Full Version : Device doesn't work with Server 2012

erich81
01-25-2013, 06:10 AM
I bought one of these displaylink devices http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815296005 hoping that I could remove the pci-e x1 video card from my server to save 20 something watts of power (on 24x7 so it adds up). I tested the device on a computer at work, and it worked great, however when I got home it didn't work.

I've installed the latest drivers (7.1M0) and I've read the troubleshooting post, but can't get anything to make my display come on. Am I wrong in thinking that this device should work with no video card installed? Or does it require another video card and just extends to another monitor? I've seen some posts somewhere on here (from googling) that indicate it should work with 2012, but I can't seem to make it work.

For the record, I've tried 3 driver versions and 4 different USB ports, but can't get it to turn on my external display.

Any ideas? I've tried my laptop and it works there as well, so I'm confused, and can only attribute it to not working with 2012 yet?

erich81
01-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Also, I'll post the logs from the diagnostic tool tonight, I'm not at home with the server ATM.

Wim
01-25-2013, 07:28 PM
There are 2 problems here:

1. No, server 2012 is not supported yet. This is the first request I've seen for Server 2012 support, so it's not high on the "fix list"
2. An additional Graphics card is required for the DisplayLink software to work. You will need another graphics card, even if its the onboard Intel graphics available for the software to work.

Wim

erich81
01-25-2013, 10:49 PM
There are 2 problems here:

1. No, server 2012 is not supported yet. This is the first request I've seen for Server 2012 support, so it's not high on the "fix list"
2. An additional Graphics card is required for the DisplayLink software to work. You will need another graphics card, even if its the onboard Intel graphics available for the software to work.

Wim

Wim,

Thanks. I guess it was my miss-understanding of the product then (not your fault) as the term "external graphics card" would imply just that. The idea was to remove the add-in graphics adapter to consume less power while running 24x7. While this would work for most chips and/or boards that include VGA capabilities, I'm using a Xeon E3-1320V2 CPU that does not feature built in VGA, so I would not be able to use it.

Thanks for the reply, I suppose a true plug-in VGA adapter does not exist.