PDA

View Full Version : USB 2.0 Devices not working

jamgramet
01-08-2013, 07:06 PM
I have a Targus USB 3.0 Superspeed Dual Video Docking Station.

After updating drivers etc. everything works except for any USB 2.0 devices that I plug into the USB ports. I have dual displays working (nice), ethernet connection and my Passport USB 3.0 portable disk drive works out of the USB 3.0 port.

My memory stick & keyboard/mouse will not work out of the docking station USB ports (they will work out of the DELL XPS 13 ultrabook's USB 3.0 ports).

I have noticed that if I power off the docking station, the USB 2.0 devices will work (not consistently I think), but then when I reboot they stop working. I've spoken to Targus but hit a wall with them - they tell me I need to update the Intel graphics driver. When I try and do that, the Intel website says it cannot update my driver because it has been customized by DELL and I am using the latest driver from DELL even though Intel has a later graphics driver. Even so, this shouldn't be affecting USB 2.0 operation right?

Working with DELL support, they showed that if I uninstall all USB controllers and then scan for hardware change to re-install them, then the USB2.0 devices will start working again. This is too tedious a workaround.

I attached the debug files. Hope you can help please!

jamgramet
01-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Anyone have any ideas?

Wim
01-24-2013, 06:34 PM
If it's just the USB 2.0 ports that don't work, and you don't even get a "bing bong" and the device appearing in device manager, then it could be a hardware problem.

The DisplayLink chip in this dock is the Video audio and Ethernet. The USB 3.0 and 2.0 hubs are not made by us, and I think the problem is with the hubs. Updating the graphics card driver will make no difference to the USB 2.0 problems. There is a later Intel USB 3.0 host controller driver which might help:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129

Wim