PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get Three USB Monitors to Work

WilliamCall
01-05-2013, 01:17 AM
I've got a desktop computer with Windows 7/64 OS and a Radeon HD 6990 graphics card. I added two USB monitors several months ago (Lilliput UM-80), and everything went well. So, I decided to add a third USB monitor (Lilliput UM-70/c/t), unfortunately, I can't get all three to play at one time. I can get any two of the three to play, but when I try to install the third USB monitor, Win 7 is stuck in a "do-loop", that is, it asks me to restart my computer for the changes to take effect. When I restart my computer, the installation starts all over again. When I turn off or disconnect the third USB monitor, everything is normal.
I'm certain that the DisplayLink software is installed correctly, and all three monitors are connected to the same powered USB HUB. One thing that looks strange is the device IDs are the same. I currently have one UM-80 and one UM-70 monitor active (shouldn't the device IDs be different?). I'd appreciate any help/guidance. Thanks!

JamesH
01-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Hi

Please attach the logs as described here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks,
James

WilliamCall
01-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Hi

Please attach the logs as described here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks,
James

James,
Thanks! The tool did reveal that my ASMedia USB 3.0 controller drivers were out of date, so I updated the drivers to the latest release. Still no change. I should mention that my mother board is an ASUS Crosshair V. Attached is the log file.

WilliamCall
01-08-2013, 04:26 PM
James,
Any thoughts on why I can't get Windows 7 to recognize three USB monitors?

JamesH
01-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi

If you connect all three usb monitors directly to your PC do you still get this issue?

Thanks,
James

WilliamCall
01-10-2013, 02:17 AM
Hi

If you connect all three usb monitors directly to your PC do you still get this issue?

Thanks,
James

James,
I don't have six available USB ports on my MB. Remember, two of the three USB monitors already work (using a powered hub). What I have tried is connecting the third USB monitor directly to my computer (no joy). Next, I tried connecting a second powered USB hub to my computer, then connected the third USB monitor to the second USB hub, still no joy. Does this approach answer your question?
I could unplug all my USB devices from my computer and plug them into a powered hub (that would free up six USB ports on the back of my MB). The short dual USB cables that came with these monitors aren't long enough to reach my computer case (under my desk). I could do as you requested, but it's a hassle that I'd rather not go thru if I don't have to.

WilliamCall
01-21-2013, 08:02 PM
James,
I don't have six available USB ports on my MB. Remember, two of the three USB monitors already work (using a powered hub). What I have tried is connecting the third USB monitor directly to my computer (no joy). Next, I tried connecting a second powered USB hub to my computer, then connected the third USB monitor to the second USB hub, still no joy. Does this approach answer your question?
I could unplug all my USB devices from my computer and plug them into a powered hub (that would free up six USB ports on the back of my MB). The short dual USB cables that came with these monitors aren't long enough to reach my computer case (under my desk). I could do as you requested, but it's a hassle that I'd rather not go thru if I don't have to.

James,
I believe that I have eliminated the powered USB hub as a possible source of error. Have my log files revealed anything else that may be suspect? I thought I might need to change something in my BIOS. The only thing that I could see was disabling legacy USB 1.1 ports. When I did that, none of my USB monitors would work. I did make one update to my computer this weekend, I upgraded my CPU from a FX-8150 to a FX-8350, no change with regard to functionality of the USB monitors. My motherboard is an ASUS Crosshair V Formula. I've asked ASUS technical support for help. They appear to be stumped. Anything else I should look into?

WilliamCall
01-22-2013, 08:50 AM
James,
I moved all my USB devices from my motherboard to my powered USB hub (all devices still worked). That freed up six USB ports on the back of my motherboard for my USB monitors. I got the same results as before, my system recogizes the first two USB monitors that I plug in, but it doesn't recognize the third monitor. By the way, I did get confirmation from a buddy of mine that the three USB monitor configuration works. Unfortunately, he has a different MB and CPU. This is looking like a weakness of my particular motherboard. I'll get the ASUS technical support team to look into this. I still would like you to take one more look at this. Thanks!

Bill