PDA

View Full Version : 2 External Monitors (1920x1200) with laptop

MisterB
12-05-2012, 09:58 PM
When at home I just want to use 2 large external monitors with my laptop. What is simplest solution?

Windows 7 64 bit, Intel 3000 graphics card (supports 2 screens), Intel 2nd gen i3 processor
Laptop only has VGA out, 2 usb 2.0 ports (I have 10 port usb hub)

Tried plugable UGA-2K-A but it is not working correctly (screen randomly blacks out)

panicnow
12-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi,

I purchased this one off Amazon:

Targus USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Dual Video Docking Station with Power (ACP71USZ)

I can run 2 external monitors (1 HDMI, 1 DVI) at 1920x1200 while still using the display on my Lenovo Yoga laptop (1600x900). I can simultaneously run 3 HD videos in VLC on this setup. I don't game, so I cannot comment on whether that will work. My laptop runs Windows 8 and the installation was problem free. The external audio and network connection worked fine.

There is a Targus model without power that is a little cheaper (ACP70USZ) that I would guess would work also. Sadly, Targus does not yet have a power tip for the Lenovo Yoga.

I originally purchased an HP 3005pr hub, but couldn't get it to work. It uses the same displaylink chip but I suspect it had hardware problems.

I attached a picture showing my initial setup working!

geel
01-03-2013, 10:20 AM
I just bought a lenovo yoga 13 as well and ordered 2 dell screens, I was wondering if there is any other suitable options like the lenovo thinkpad USB 3 docking station: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&DocID=PD024298

Is the Targus a better option? It seems by accident I bought the same setup so far as panic so this should work but I prefer the looks of the thinkpad dock. Anyone has any thoughts on this?

Secondary concern is that I also own a thinkpad laptop which runs Linux which is hard to find good drivers for to get the dual screens working through a docking station though. I will work mostly on the yoga in the future as it is more mobile which is what I need but if a solution is better compatible with linux that would be great.