PDA

View Full Version : DiplayLink Mountain Lion Fix

chandler767
11-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey guys,
I FINALLY found a way to fix the issue with the display link monitors! Full use and all with ML and the 1.8 mac driver. It requires you to use a script that I have uploaded here:
http://www.c-bit.co/resources/DisplayLink.scpt
To set it up watch this video:
http://youtu.be/XJLN3LSYtMQ

**IMPORTANT Notes:**
-Always unplug your DisplayLink monitor before turning on your computer or the bug will still occur. Only plug in after you login!
-The script may still require a password after login for some people. Type it in and hit ok.
-Sorry if the video is a tad blurry.

I hope your as happy as I am that there is now a fix. Please download my apps to show your appreciation and look for my new app "Atom Ball" coming the the app store late December. https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/chandler-mayo/id425152986

EDIT:
DisplayLink Notifier:
DisplayLink Notifier will alert you to when it is safe to plug-in and un-plug your DisplayLink devices. Use this with the DisplayLink 1.8 driver script to make using your devices easier.

To install:
Download the app from: http://www.c-bit.co/resources/DisplayLink_Notifier.zip
Extract the file and move it to your applications folder or to your documents folder.
Open "System Preferences."
Open "Users & Groups."
Select your account (Go back and do this with all accounts.)
Select "Login Items."
Click the "+" button.
Locate and select the "DisplayLink Notifier.app" and click "Add."
Restart your computer.

EDIT 2:
If the patch stops working do the following:
1. Turn off your computer and unplug your display devices
2. Turn on your computer and log in, don't plug in your devices
3. Turn off again
4. Turn on again, keep repeating until the login box starts showing. You may have to do this several times. Once everything is working and you log in you can plug in your devices and continue as normal.

briangig
11-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Pretty clean method.

Here are a few notes.

This is what I had to do to get this to work reliably. I can never see the login screen, ever, and guessing sucks.

1. Uninstall the drivers (and reboot).
2. Create a new standard user (DisplayLink in my case)
3. Make that user auto-login (the guest account cannot have login applications, or i couldn't figure it out). I used the same password as my account for simplicity.
3a. Reinstall the drivers (under your admin account) FOR ALL USERS.
4. Follow chandler767's directions for creating the application, make that launch when the new user auto-logs in. You will be prompted for admin credentials to run the app you created (because you are logged in as a standard user).
5. You may then either switch to your own user and plug in, or just plug in the monitor. It seems to work better (remember wallpapers, etc) when you switch users first). Edit: You definitely want to switch users and then plug in.

I suppose you could just auto login as your new account, and keep the script on your real account, but for some reason I don't think that worked for me..but that was before I discovered the info below. Edit: I can't get it to work if the script is on my real account, leave it on the one that auto-logs in.

Interesting thing I found: I cannot get this to work after a reboot. If I unplug the device before even clicking restart, or as soon as the screen goes black, I still get Finder crashing, monitor not even displaying anything. I have to unplug and do a complete shutdown, then power up. Edit: Even powering down completely isn't working 100% anymore..sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have another monitor connected via mini-DP, and disconnecting and connecting that may have something to do with it (boot without it, reboot, then boot with it, etc)

Last edit for the night, my poor MBP has been through so many reboots and power cycles. If I unplug the USB adapter, then click restart, then as soon as both my internal and Mini-DP screens go blank and I hear the chime, I pull out the Mini-DP. I boot directly into my newly created account (called DisplayLink), enter my admin credentials, switch users to my main account, then plug in Mini-DP, then USB DisplayLink adapter, I get everything working dandy, no crashes, I can even open the Login Window! Did this three times and it seems to be working reliably. I think, perhaps, rebooting with the external monitor attached (mini-DP), but yanking it out before login might reset or clear something out, not sure. It seems to work, and thats all I want. I can deal with the extra steps for now.

chandler767
11-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Heres a few tips:
1. The script is only good for one login. So if your using a account to run it, log out and log into another account the script will not stick around after restart nor will it keep working if you logout and log back in without running it.

2. I recommended putting the script in all of your accounts. That way it will work after reset and logins and logout.

3. To install it to your own account you need to run the script first (click it, and it will quickly do its job and close). Then add it to your login items, reboot your computer, and log into your account and everything should be working. If need be add it to login items, reset, login, reset, then login and plug in your display link monitors. This will force the script to run automatically once and set everything up for you. You only should do that the first time after you install the script.

briangig
11-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the tips, I will play more later.

What's bizarre is after I was auto logged in, script loaded, finder would still crash under that user. I wasn't until I rebooted and unplugged my other monitor that I was able to get everything working. And I switched users, didn't log out of displaylink user.

Like I said, will play more later.

chandler767
11-15-2012, 03:25 PM
It sounds like your not unplugging your monitor. Before loging out unplug the adapters. After you log in you can plug it in again. Otherwise it won't work. :)

briangig
11-15-2012, 03:43 PM
I was definitely unplugging the USB adapter before logging out. I think my other external monitor may be causing issues (using Mini-DP to DVI).

chandler767
11-15-2012, 04:03 PM
I use an external display using my Thunderbolt port with no problems. Maybe its something in your settings. At least (even though complex) you can use your DisplayLink which is more than we could have said yesterday. (: Let me know if you figure it out.

briangig
11-15-2012, 04:08 PM
I am definitely excited..the only issue seems to occur when I reboot, which I don't do very often. And even then the problem can be avoided if I unplug the other monitor at bootup.

BTW, saw you were using a Thunderbolt display (very jealous) ever see this: http://macwinguy.com/2012/04/getting-that-second-non-thunderbolt-monitor-to-work-on-your-macbook-pro/ ?

chandler767
11-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Sorry, i'm using a normal display using my thunderbolt port. I wish I had a thunderbolt display.

briangig
11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
ah, well then I am in the same boat as you, I have a thunderbolt port, but i'm using the DisplayPort adapter on it. So it looks like we have the same setup after all.

chandler767
11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Exactly the same. Its odd that its giving you more issues than me. Makes me wonder if there is another culprit.

On another note I am working on an app that will remind you to unplug your monitors so you dont forget to prevent issues. Would you be interested?

briangig
11-15-2012, 05:31 PM
I would be interested!

Let's hope DL can get the root cause fixed, or at least incorporate a temporary work around while it gets sorted properly.

chandler767
11-15-2012, 09:14 PM
I added an app called "DisplayLink Notifier" to the main post. Check it out. :D

andynormancx
11-26-2012, 10:48 AM
My issue is clearly slight different to some people's here. In the instruction video you say that the login and Finder issues won't happen when there is no adapter connected.

This is not the case for me. I can do a clean install of the driver, not plug in an adapter and still have the Finder/login issues. Remove the kernel extension and the problem goes away.

chandler767
11-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Your correct. You will get the issue if the device is plugged in or not. Sorry if you misunderstood the video. The patch should fix your problem. Have you tried it?

briangig
11-26-2012, 02:48 PM
I've gotten stuck in the situation of not being able to boot (reboot or cold boot) into a working system with the fix installed. Performance is super sluggish, and Finder will not open. I had to uninstall the DL driver. Right now I am using an old Atom motherboard hackintosh attached to my second monitor and using ScreenRecycler (http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html). For mainly static content (looking at code, windows that dont have moving content, etc. it works a bit smoother than the USB-DVI option.

chandler767
11-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Being your not using a true "Mac" there is no telling what other issues could be causing your problems. Sorry.

briangig
11-26-2012, 09:03 PM
sorry, I wasn't clear. I am using my MBP, with an Apple Cinema display via MiniDP. My second "external" monitor is the one with the hackintosh attached, using the ScreenRecycler program, since I could not get the USB-DVI adapter to work 100% (or at least 100% predictable) with my MBP and the second external.

chandler767
11-26-2012, 10:46 PM
1. Uninstall all the drivers.
2. Reset SMC: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
3. Follow the video instructions.

Like I said, this patch won't work for everyone because everyones computers are set up a little different. But at least you have an external monitor working somehow. :)

Wim
12-04-2012, 04:48 PM
As I have put on the other thread, the login issue could be solved by 10.8.3 OSX update. Could any users with access to this OSX patch try this release and see if it really does solve the issue?

Thanks

Wim

fhall1
12-05-2012, 03:23 PM
As I have put on the other thread, the login issue could be solved by 10.8.3 OSX update. Could any users with access to this OSX patch try this release and see if it really does solve the issue?

Thanks

Wim

Please tell me you're not saying that Displaylink does not have membership in the Apple Development program and doesn't have 10.8.3 beta running on a testbed? You're asking for independent confirmation from some users - right? If not, that's pretty sad.

Wim
12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Please tell me you're not saying that Displaylink does not have membership in the Apple Development program and doesn't have 10.8.3 beta running on a testbed? You're asking for independent confirmation from some users - right? If not, that's pretty sad.

Yes - we've had it and been testing for a few weeks (since the day it was available) and can't reproduce the issue now. We're just looking for confirmation from the community to see if it is fixed, as Apple have not updated our incident ID to tell us its fixed.

Wim

chandler767
03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Bumping this up so users can still find it.

olka
03-15-2013, 08:47 AM
mac os x 10.8.3 is out now. Going to test it with displaylink alpha 2 drivers

fhall1
03-15-2013, 05:19 PM
PLease let us know what you find out

olka
03-15-2013, 07:47 PM
My problems with loginscreen are gone. Nice job!

chandler767
03-18-2013, 01:27 AM
This patch is no longer needed with the latest Beta drivers and 10.8.3. Works fine without it. Good job DisplayLink Team.

Wim
03-18-2013, 11:27 AM
We've updated our known issues FAQ to report the current status:

http://kb.displaylink.com/333

Wim