PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 FLASHING Screen

liamarmitage
10-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Hi, I have using the M01061 Displaylink device with the latest V7 software for Windows 8. Upon plugging in the device, all I get is a rapid flashing screen and no other input available to use and no light on the device.

I previously had the device working on Windows 7. I did an inplace upgrade and the device worked until I upgraded to the latest version of the displaylink software. Thinking my OS install was corrupt, I reinstalled a fresh copy of Win8 and the problem is still occurring. I have tried everything, is anyone able to help?
I have attached support logs to this thread

Thanks

liamarmitage
10-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Support staff..... are you there? This issue could effect over 300+ users in our business and requires input from you asap

Wim
11-01-2012, 03:51 PM
This could be due to the NVIDIA drivers. Could you try downgrading the NVIDIA drivers, or disabling the NVIDIA GPU, so it is just using the Intel GPU and see if this solves the issue?

Wim

ftrydal
11-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem, and rolling back the nvidia driver to a version released in june solved the problem. When are you going to support the new nvidia driver?

/Frode

ftrydal
11-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi,

Due to company policy, automatic updates have to be enabled, so after a while...windows updated the nvidia driver and the problem returned.

Wim
11-02-2012, 03:53 PM
NVIDIA released this just before we were releasing our Win 8 driver... so left us no time to fix it.

We hope to fix this in the next Windows 8 release later this month.

Wim

seanvree
11-23-2012, 01:09 AM
I too have this same problem. I'm using the docking station with my Dell XPS 14Z with Windows 8. I uninstalled all the NVidia software, and it started working for about half a day, but after I rebooted, the problem came back.

I'm wondering what version of the NVidia drivers are compatible?

trumaj
11-23-2012, 12:37 PM
After playing around with various versions of the Nvidia drivers and the Display Link software, I managed to get everything working by using older versions of both, as follows:

- Nvidia - Verde 302.80 dated 15 Jun 2012 (available from Nvidia website)

- Display Link Software - version 6.3 M1 dated 1 Aug 2012 (available from displaylink.com (http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php))

I am running on a Dell XPS 17 laptop with Windows 8 Pro, and this configuration of drivers currently works for me. It may/may not for different hardware.

I have also disabled Windows Update for the time being, as each time it runs, it updates the Nvidia driver to the latest one, which doesn't play nicely with the current version of Display Link software.

Good luck! :)

Wim
11-23-2012, 04:34 PM
The problem in this thread, caused by incompatibility with the latest NVIDIA driver on Windows 8, should be fixed in the latest release, v7.0 M3, which is now available from the DisplayLink website.

Wim

hba
11-23-2012, 04:43 PM
The problem in this thread, caused by incompatibility with the latest NVIDIA driver on Windows 8, should be fixed in the latest release, v7.0 M3, which is now available from the DisplayLink website.

Wim
It's not!
This is very frustrating and I'm beginning to regret ever having bought a DisplayLink product :-(

trumaj
11-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Woohoo!

I'm glad to say it appears to have worked for me... :)

Now running the latest Nvidia drivers and the latest DisplayLink software, and running like a dream.

Thanks DL :)

seanvree
11-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Latest version worked for me too. Amazing!

Wim
11-28-2012, 03:32 PM
It's not!
This is very frustrating and I'm beginning to regret ever having bought a DisplayLink product :-(

This is a different issue to the NVIDIA issue that we are working on at the moment to be fixed in the release next month... Sorry for the delay, but a new OS can show up many new issues and we can't fix them all at once.

Wim

acdrew0
12-04-2012, 01:42 AM
This is a different issue to the NVIDIA issue that we are working on at the moment to be fixed in the release next month... Sorry for the delay, but a new OS can show up many new issues and we can't fix them all at once.

Wim

I am curious if my problem is the same one that hba was having. The computer model is very similar and mine also has an nVidia graphics card.

I am unable to use my hdmi out in conjunction with my displaylink product. I get the flashing screen and computer logout when I try. The most recent drivers have not fixed anything.

Will this be fixed in the next update you were talking about?

outlaw1776
01-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Setup:

Dell XPS 15Z - Windows 8 Pro - CoreI7, Nvidia GeForce 525M 1gb(310.90 Drivers), Targus Superspeed USB 3.0 dock with Displaylink Drivers(7.1M0)

As soon as I plug in the Docking Station my screen goes black and the mouse/pointer flashes, sometimes showing the "working" circle flashing. None of the fixes listed have worked:

- Downgraded Nvidia Driver
- Clean install of Displaylink Drivers

Any more ideas, this is now a 4 month old problem.

Thanks,

phikappa
01-10-2013, 03:23 PM
I have an XPS 15 with Windows 7 Professional and have exactly the same issue if I connect only another monitor to the HDMI output. By the way, a quick fix for the flashing screen on Win7 is to set one (any) of the displays at 16 bit color depth instead of 32.

If I connect a monitor to the Mini Displayport, however, the DisplayLink monitor just stays blank. Please, guys, fix this stuff.

romajo
05-29-2013, 12:56 PM
I also have the problem with NVIDIA drivers later than version 310.90. When a newer NVIDIA driver is installed, all of my three connected displays (one of the notebook, one on the hdmi port of the notebook and one on the displaylink adapter) start flashing. When I plug off the displaylink apater, the flashing stops.

Please find my logs attached.

I really hope for a solution very quick as this problem is annoying me since over 6 months.

Best regards,

romajo

willybob
05-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Same here, screens are justf lashing with latest nvidia driver. Reverted to 310.90 and it is just barely usable, mouse has some huge lag.
Been using displaylink stuff for quite some time and I feel like this technology never reach an acceptable level of usability.

romajo
06-04-2013, 06:33 AM
Could someone from Displaylink please let us know when this issue will be fixed?

Thank you,

romajo

romajo
06-14-2013, 06:25 AM
Anyone there? I really need this problem to be fixed!

Thank you...

romajo
07-03-2013, 12:12 PM
The problem has been fixed for me with driver version 7.3.

Thank you!

romajo
07-03-2013, 12:14 PM
P.S.: As i cannot delete the attached log files of my computer myself, i would really appreciate if someone of the moderator could do this for me.

Thank you,

ROMAJO

JamesH
07-03-2013, 02:38 PM
P.S.: As i cannot delete the attached log files of my computer myself, i would really appreciate if someone of the moderator could do this for me.

Thank you,

ROMAJO

Done.

Thanks,
James

romajo
07-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Thank you very much...

Phil.Baxter
07-04-2013, 01:28 PM
It would appear that I have this problem too.

I have a Fujitsi N532 laptop and a Brand new (unboxed 30 minutes ago) Fujitsu PR08 dock with a pair of old iiyama AU4831D screens connected via DVI with a native resolution of 1600x1200. The resolution of the laptop is 1920x1080.

My laptop is running Windows 8 Pro x64, NVIDIA GT 620M Driver version is 320.49 and Intel Graphics HD4000 Driver version is 9.18.10.3165

I have tried both the latest DisplayLink software (7.3M0) and the new Windows 8.1 Beta software and get the same results for both.

Any help or pointers as to how I can resolve this would be really useful.

If you need me to try anything, or supply more information about my system, please ask.

Thanks in advance.

Phil.Baxter
07-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Some extra things I have now tried...

Disable NVIDIA adapter in Device Manager - Screen still flickers
Use only a single external monitor - Screen still flickers regardless of connection to DVI or DisplayPort

Everything else appears to work fine - Network, USB 2, USB 3

I have attached the support tool output just in case there is more useful info in there for you.

ilinkgroup
07-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Any updates on this?
Or do you guys know of a device that actually works. Can't keep waiting on this.

Phil.Baxter
07-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Any ideas as how I get this working?

dhodgin
07-15-2013, 12:47 AM
Same problem for me. the dock works with just usb keyboard, mouse, and 1gb ethernet plugged into it. As soon as i connect an external monitor the secondary display does not turn on and the laptop screen begins flashing on and off repeatedly.

Tried forcing my video to use nvidia card then intel integrated and both do the same thing

as soon as i unplug the monitor the laptop screen stops flashing and works normally.

Ive tried three different external monitors

I've plugged the dock into my home desktop system and installed the latest Lenovo driver and it works no problem on my home desktop with 3 monitors

On ASUS Zenbook UX32VD any external monitor causes the laptop screen to flash repeatedly and the external monitor does not display anything.

Got a replacement unit from Lenovo (refurbished) and it has the exact same problem.

Ive uninstalled all drivers, run the clean utility, and reinstalled the latest lenovo device drivers (v10708 http://support.lenovo.com/en_CA/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM014961) and then displaylink 7.3M1 and still the same problem on windows 8 on my ASUS Zenbook laptop.

I also flashed the firmware to the 9.28 version while i had the dock attached to my home pc since i could not update it while attached to my laptop it would say no device found. the utility said the firmware upgrade was successful

Home pc runs drivers v10708 and 7.2 I believe. (Which ever displaylink drivers they have integrated with lenovos v10708 software I didn't upgrade to 7.3M1 on home desktop because everything worked fine)

I've set my usb power settings on the laptop power plan to max as well.

no display will work at all

Phil.Baxter
07-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Strangely, I got in to work this morning and decided to give it another try, guess what, it worked :)

So, just as a test, I rebooted my laptop, and guess what, it gave me a flashing screen :(

Although I had it working briefly, it now refuses to work, sigh. Still I had a glimpse at the potential even though it was only for 15 minutes.

Phil.Baxter
07-16-2013, 01:20 PM
ok, couldnt wait, had to try something, so I forked out and bought two BENQ GW2460 monitors.

It now all works without problems! So I guess it was either the age of the iiyama monitors, or the resolution I was trying drive them at (1600x1200 whereas the BENQ are both at 1920x1080).

I am now *almost* very happy, the only issues I see now are:-

1) the screen on the displayport connection (via DVI cable) has a slight tendency to go slightly dimmer then return to normal brightness. I can live with this, but, it would be good to know why.
2) occasionally (and I have just noticed this) when browsing it appears that the network connection "goes away" i.e. windows thinks it is connected, but, the browser (chrome in this case) thinks that there is no connection. I am not yet fully convinced this is the PR08, but I have yet to see this problem with the network connected directly to my laptop.

Phil.Baxter
07-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Getting better now, just updated the nvidia drivers to the latest beta (326.19) this seems to have corrected the issue of the displays hanging off the PR08 dimming and brigtening.

Not sure why the nvidia drivers would affect the PR08 (I thought the displaylink used its own drivers), perhaps someone from displaylink could enlighten me.

And for the last few days I havent had the network drop out on me either.

:D

Phil.Baxter
08-14-2013, 01:04 PM
ok, I just installed a load of updates from Microsoft update site and I now have the flashing screens problem back!

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Graphics drivers as well as the DisplayLink software (both windows 8 and 8.1 rc) and still can't get rid of the flashing screens.

These Microsoft updates have basically created junk out of my two new screens.

I am aware that the flashing screen issue is an ongoing one, but, is there any resolution to this on the horizon?

I must say, when the DisplayLink stuff works its great, but, when for no apparent reason its stops working it is very frustrating.

Any idea which of the updates I/Microsoft installed could be causing this (the attachment lists the ones installed for me by windows this time).