PDA

View Full Version : Window move framerate bad in OSX 10.8.2

monitorjbl
10-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm not entirely sure what to make of this, but anything that involves moving or resizing of windows in OSX drops the framerate to under 10 FPS. This includes Expose and switching desktops, so a lot of the builtin OSX features just look really cruddy on the display being driven by my adapter.

I'm running a MacBook Pro 2012 with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. As my post says, I've got OSX 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion). My adapter is a Kensington Multi-Display Adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997695). My monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050, but the MBP 2012 has a lot of processing hardware. I'm not seeing much CPU utilization when the video starts to get all slideshow-y, so I really think this is a driver issue.

cmwade77
10-10-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm not entirely sure what to make of this, but anything that involves moving or resizing of windows in OSX drops the framerate to under 10 FPS. This includes Expose and switching desktops, so a lot of the builtin OSX features just look really cruddy on the display being driven by my adapter.

I'm running a MacBook Pro 2012 with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. As my post says, I've got OSX 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion). My adapter is a Kensington Multi-Display Adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997695). My monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050, but the MBP 2012 has a lot of processing hardware. I'm not seeing much CPU utilization when the video starts to get all slideshow-y, so I really think this is a driver issue.
I have tried a few different devices and while the DisplayLink driver does have some issues, this doesn't seem to be so much a driver as a device issue. I have found the Plugable UGA-2K-A to be the most reliable, but the driver issues with logging in and causing Flash to crash are what the problems are for me.

Wim
10-12-2012, 01:31 PM

Yes - we want to try and improve the performance of DisplayLink devices on the Mac, and we have a number of ideas of ways to improve this. V2.0 release should give us the code platform to be able to improve performance.

Our performance with the same hardware on Windows is much better than Mac, so technically it should be possible.

Wim

monitorjbl
10-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the information Wim, glad to know this is being looked into. I don't suppose there's any kind of beta program I could get into for the 2.0 drivers? I'm a Java developer, so I'd be a pretty good candidate :)