PDA

View Full Version : Major Flickering Problems with Mountain Lion

greggolding
10-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Ever since I upgraded to Mountain Lion, my USB to DVI adapter has not worked right. It worked fine with Lion. Now I get major flickering issues when playing certain videos, visiting certain websites, or most commonly, when the "Top Sites" grid shows up in Safari. Maybe it is related to Open GL??

I recorded a video to show what I am talking about. The monitor on the left is driven from the Mini-DisplayPort on my MacBook Pro. The monitor on the right uses the USB 2.0 to DVI Display Adapter (2048x1152) from Monoprice.com.

The video is at the following URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihpPhOIEw4M

Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? I have the latest driver. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it.

MickM
10-18-2012, 03:01 AM
You are by no means the only one having this problem. I'm hopeful it'll only be just a few more months before we see a fix... (that's sarcasm in case you missed it)

Wim
10-19-2012, 04:47 PM
We have reproduced this and it is not a DisplayLink issue. It is a bug in Mountain Lion that occurs when virtual screens are added. This has also been reproduced on competitors adapters.

The bug has been reported to Apple as bug ID# 12275102. Now we just have to hope that Apple fix this in a future Mountain Lion update, as there is nothing we can do to fix this OS issue.

So if you want to see a fix for this, then I'm afraid we will have to hassle Apple.

Wim

cmwade77
10-19-2012, 05:13 PM
We have reproduced this and it is not a DisplayLink issue. It is a bug in Mountain Lion that occurs when virtual screens are added. This has also been reproduced on competitors adapters.

The bug has been reported to Apple as bug ID# 12275102. Now we just have to hope that Apple fix this in a future Mountain Lion update, as there is nothing we can do to fix this OS issue.

So if you want to see a fix for this, then I'm afraid we will have to hassle Apple.

Wim

Sorry, but I don't buy into this answer, I have no problems with the J5Create devices that we use. But I also did not have this problem with the Pluggable device, so my guess is that you are right that it is not a Displaylink problem; however, my guess is that it is actually in the rest of the device hardware and not Mountain Lion that is the issue in this case.

Carlo
10-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Sorry, but I don't buy into this answer, I have no problems with the J5Create devices that we use. But I also did not have this problem with the Pluggable device, so my guess is that you are right that it is not a Displaylink problem; however, my guess is that it is actually in the rest of the device hardware and not Mountain Lion that is the issue in this case.

cmwade77 I don't understand what is the game you are playing here.
We reproduced this issue on a MacBook Pro. We raised an incident with Apple's Developer Technical Support. DTS told us to open a bug. We opened a bug and gave you the ID.
We got one of those mythical J5Create devices and on the same machine it shows exactly the same issue as does any other of the software framebuffer products we tried.

What else do you want? My blood? I already donated last week, I'm A-.

Carlo

P.S. It is still possible that there are more than one issue! Apple has been satisfied that this is something they already knew about however.

cmwade77
10-22-2012, 09:22 PM
cmwade77 I don't understand what is the game you are playing here.
We reproduced this issue on a MacBook Pro. We raised an incident with Apple's Developer Technical Support. DTS told us to open a bug. We opened a bug and gave you the ID.
We got one of those mythical J5Create devices and on the same machine it shows exactly the same issue as does any other of the software framebuffer products we tried.

What else do you want? My blood? I already donated last week, I'm A-.

Carlo

P.S. It is still possible that there are more than one issue! Apple has been satisfied that this is something they already knew about however.

I am not playing any game, I am telling the truth. I have had no issues like this one with either the DisplayLink or J5Create's device.

There have been other issues (some of which are significant), but this is not one of them. Since this problem does not seem to occur with our specific devices and others have reported this happening with both the DisplayLink chips and the ones in the J5Create's device, but not in the specific devices we use, I would say with a fari amount of certainty that the chips, drivers and Mountain Lion is not the issue, my guess is that it is the surrounding hardware in the devices, such as the USB interface, etc.

Now, it is possible that these issues could be overcome with a software fix, but my guess is the problem would be better solved within the hardware in this case.

This is on a system that was upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion, so I do not know if that is a difference or not.