PDA

View Full Version : Problem with newest displaylink displayport device and Apple Cinema Display

Casshern
09-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi,

i am using the newest displaylink usb3.0 adaptor capable of 2560 x 1600 Pixel (newest chipset):

http://www.lindy.de/usb-3-displayport-adapter/43171.html

I am trying to connect a windows pc via usb to a apple cinema display 27" (minidisplayport and 2560 x 1440 Pixel - which according to the displaylink lindy device is supported). I connected it as follows:

Win7 USB3.0 -> Lindy-Displaylink (Output: Displayport) -> Displayport-to-Mini-Displayport-Adaptor -> Apple Cinema Display

The Problem is that the Apple Cinema Display shows no picture. It seems that it does not even turn on. It does not have a seperate on/off switch, it normally just senses that a device is connected and turns on automatically. It seems that the displaylink device does not support this auto on/off displayport feature. Is there a software update for this? Or is there another solution?

regards,

Casshern

P.S.: It is not the new thunderbolt apple display! It is the previous Cinema Display with an mini-Displayport male connector cable. http://store.apple.com/de/product/MC007ZM/A/apple-led-cinema-display-%2827-zoll-flachbildschirm%29

Wim
09-18-2012, 01:12 PM
It should work, but not tested this specific display. Do you have the logs when the display is connected?

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim

Casshern
09-28-2012, 02:06 PM
I downloaded the debug tool and recorded the logs (see attached zip file). The system compatibility check yielded the following results:
Pass: Basic mode support
Pass: Device attached
Pass: Device started correctly
Pass: Graphics driver date
Pass: WEI is above recommended 3
Pass: No Other USB graphics software installed

Still no luck with the apple cinema display. It seems the displaylinkadaptor does not signal the monitor on command through the displayport - so the cinema display does not even turn on. Please fix!

It should work, but not tested this specific display. Do you have the logs when the display is connected?

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim

Casshern
10-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Did anybody have a look at the logs I posted? I specifically bought the displaylink adaptor for the cinema display - please fix this problem!

Wim
10-18-2012, 11:09 AM
It looks like the software is not detecting the display. We don't have this display to test and find out the exact cause, but we are doing a lot of work to improve the reliability of connecting DisplayPort displays. Hopefully some of these changes and fixes will solve the issue you are finding.

Wim

Casshern
10-18-2012, 04:16 PM
It looks like the software is not detecting the display. We don't have this display to test and find out the exact cause, but we are doing a lot of work to improve the reliability of connecting DisplayPort displays. Hopefully some of these changes and fixes will solve the issue you are finding.

Wim

Hmm, the apple cinema led display is one of the most widely used monitors in the mac community - you can surely find one to test. At the moment the new displaylink usb 3.0 devices are not widespread, but this will change soon. I would not want to imagine if more people think they can use them with their cinema displays and get disappointed.

This is not some obscure monitor - it seems that the displaylink device just does not send the correct hot-plug signals to turn the monitor on -> that's why it does not detect it.

Please be so kind to fix this, as I spend a lot of money on the monitor, the displaylink device and the DP-MDP adaptor.

Gordon
11-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Another unhappy user here. I think I have the same problem.

I have the same set up as Casshern ie. HP Windows 7 PC -[USB3]-> Lindy 43171 Displaylink-[displayport]->passive displayport to female minidisplayport adaptor->Apple 27" LED Cinema display monitor.

Displayport software up to date at v 7.0M2

When I plug in the monitor nothing happens - the display remains off. I think Casshern may be correct, the displaylink device just does not send the correct hot-plug signals to turn the monitor on

The monitor works just fine plugged into the PC's internal displayport using the passive displayport to female minidisplayport adaptor, so I know that both of those components are working properly.

I too spent a lot of money on this set up and am extremely disappointed. In fact, doubly so as I actually bought 2 monitors and 2 displaylink adaptors.

Please, please can someone at Displaylink bump this up the priority list? If Displaylink cannot make the adaptor/chipset work with one of the best selling WQXGA displays on the market then I have serious questions regarding the validity of the claim that the chipset really does support 2560x1600...

Gordon
12-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Bump!

Is anyone at Displaylink working on this? I'm sitting here with a couple of thousand dollars of design industry standard Apple monitors which I cant use at all.

I'm very happy to help cooperate by providing log files etc, but a complete lack of response on this issue is just not acceptable for a supposed premium product.

Please update us on this!

Wim
12-05-2012, 03:42 PM
The next release of software, v7.1 should be later this month, and is intended to pass DisplayPort compliance. Hopefully this should fix the issue with this particular display, however we do not have access to this exact model so cannot confirm what the issue is.

Wim

Gordon
12-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Wim,

That sounds like good news. I'll test as soon as the update comes out and will let you know.

Many thanks for the information and support!
Gordon

shakman
12-15-2012, 08:45 AM
This is good news indeed. I am yet another customer with the same display and exactly the same symptoms as the rest of the folks. I hope software v7.1 works with the LED cinema display 27" (non-thunderbolt mini-displayPort).

Since you don't have this monitor to test, I would be happy to test a beta version of the software if that's possible. I'm trying to figure out if I should wait for this update or just go find a different solution. Please let us know if we can help.

The next release of software, v7.1 should be later this month, and is intended to pass DisplayPort compliance. Hopefully this should fix the issue with this particular display, however we do not have access to this exact model so cannot confirm what the issue is.

Wim

Gordon
01-07-2013, 03:20 AM
Sigh. Still no joy here with the new drivers.

Wim - what can I do to provide you with further information?

shakman
01-12-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm returning this item. latest firmware still doesn't work w/ apple cinema display 27". Please post when it's fixed. In the meantime, please update your web site to say that Apple LED Cinema Dispalys are NOT compatible with this device.

Sigh. Still no joy here with the new drivers.

Wim - what can I do to provide you with further information?

Casshern
01-13-2013, 07:40 PM
I would like to return mine, too. I still cannot believe that displaylink let its customers without a fix. I kind of hoped displaylink would do something and waited to long to return the displaylinkdaptor. Now I guess its just another thing gaining dust here - and reminding me to never recommend any displaylink product.

shakman
01-20-2013, 07:10 AM
:confused:

Wim

Howard Long
01-25-2013, 07:44 AM
I have exactly the same problem as the OP: Lindy 43171, Apple Cinema Display 27" plus displayport to mini displayport adapter.

Attached are my logs.

I agree with other posters, the Apple Cinema Display is about as ubiquitous as it gets when it comes to displayport monitors.

Many thanks, Howard

Howard Long
01-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Same applies to OSX 10.8.2 running the Mac 2.0 alpha 2 drivers on an MBP 15" retina. The cinema display (note, this is a Cinema Display, not a Thunderbolt display) works fine when directly connected to the Thunderbolt/MDP ports of the MBP.

Many thanks, Howard

stuart.doy
02-25-2013, 12:31 AM
I also have a 27" Apple LED Cinema Display and am running a USB32DPPRO (http://intrl.startech.com/AV/USB-Video-Adapters/USB-3-to-Displayport-Video-Card-Multi-Monitor-Adapter-2560x1600~USB32DPPRO) from Startech (which I understand is based on the DL-3500).

Their tech support advised that the monitor is not sending the required EDID information to the device and is therefore not switching the monitor on.

I carefully read all documentation before purchasing the device and found no mention of any such issues.

Is this likely to be corrected in a future release? If so when?

Will the cinema display work with a dock based on the DL-3900?

Any guidance would be appreciated as I now have over $300 of adapters that it appears I need to resell...

Debug information attached.

Gordon
03-04-2013, 03:22 AM
Hi Wim,

Any update on this? We're getting close to 6 months without any resolution. All of the folk on this thread (and I'm sure many others) have been induced into purchasing equipment featuring the chipset on the basis of statements such as "High resolutions for any display (up to 2560x1600)" (emphasis added) made on your website. However, it is beginning to look like the chipset is incapable of running at 2560x1440 (or indeed at all) with the de facto standard graphic designers workstation monitor. There is and has been no disclaimer or notice to this effect on your web site or in your OEM partner's materials.

Your continued silence is very unhelpful. I'm sure that no-one here wants to consider bringing an action for misrepresentation or breaches of trade descriptions law, but what option are you leaving us? Please let us know what steps you are taking to remedy this issue as soon as possible.

Wim
03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
We have been working on this issue. We believe there a hardware design fault on some early versions of these adapters, which prevent them working correctly with a small number of DisplayPort displays, one of which is the Apple Cinema Display.

We have made the vendors and the manufacturer aware of the fault and the change needed in January and it should be corrected in the latest adapters. I would suggest contacting the product vendor for a replacement, which includes the fix.

Thanks

Wim

Howard Long
05-31-2013, 12:31 PM
While the Lindy product doesn't work, I am delighted to report that the Startech USB32DPPRO does work with the 27" Apple Cinema Display (ACD), at the full 2560x1440 resolution, both in native Windows (bootcamped) and from OSX. This works around an outstanding problem with Apple's Thunderbolt port, where daisy chaining from a Thunderbolt Display to an ACD won't work without an interim thunderbolt device like a hard drive in OSX, and not at all in Windows.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008CXFM64/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDetails

You still need a displayport to minidisplayport adapter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-DisplayPort-Video-Cable-Adapter/dp/B003N3DTKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370002742&sr=8-2&keywords=displayport+to+mini+displayport

Just did a side-by-side comparison streaming BBC iplayer full screen, and there's little to compare between the direct-attached Thunderbolt display and the ACD running of the Startech device. Even Flight Simulator (FSX) in native Windows was usable on the ACD attached to the Startech.

My test setup FWIW is a Mac Mini Server (late 2012) with USB 3.0, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM.

So I think we can safely say now that the Lindy device simply won't work with an ACD.

Cheers, Howard

shakman
08-16-2013, 05:28 AM
Thanks for your post Howard, that's great to hear!

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this yet and had any success? Also, has anyone tried driving the apple LED 27" display with USB2.0 at any resolution? My PC only has a usb2.0. I don't need it to be fast... as long as it displays a reasonably clear image.

shakman
08-27-2013, 01:37 AM
Hi all,

Just confirming that StarTech.com USB 3.0 to DisplayPort adapter USB32DPPRO is now working great for me on a core2duo Dell laptop PC via a USB 2.0 port to an Apple Cinema LED Display 27" (non-thunderbolt).

The issue I was having is that I was using a SIIG displaylink adapter (not a StarTech one). The SIIG adapter does NOT work with the Cinema Display (same problem as Lindy adapter that other folks are having on this thread). The StarTech adapter works PERFECTLY!

I'm using following:

StarTech.com USB 3.0 to DisplayPort:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CXFM64/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

StarTech 6 inch DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Video Cable Adapter - M/F :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-DisplayPort-Video-Cable-Adapter/dp/B003N3DTKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370002742&sr=8-2&keywords=displayport+to+mini+displayport

Dell Latitude E4200 via USB 2.0 port, 3GB RAM, Win7.

I'm getting the full native resolution of 1260x1440. The picture is perfect. The refresh rate is good enough for daily web browsing, email etc, but obviously not good for games since i'm using usb2.0. However, I'm just using it for work and I'm using remote Desktop / VNC which works perfectly and the refresh rate is good enough for me. Even with just a dual-core 1.6ghz cpu, the performance is pretty impressive!

Additionally, I'm also using a cheap display port switcher to switch between my mac-mini and Dell laptop:
Kanex SnapX 2x Switcher for Mac ($28 on amazon). This works perfectly too!

I've also got a Dell port replicator (docking station), and it works fine thru it's USB2.0 port as well. I'm a happy camper :)

One hint: if you don't have the cinema display drivers installed on your PC, don't worry. The audio works out of the box on Windows 7, including the volume control. The brightness control is not available without the driver. However, if you set the brightness of the monitor using the mac, the monitor will remember it and use the same for the PC. The drivers are apparently available in Boot Camp and can be installed on a PC, but I haven't tried it. There are several other threads discussing that. I have yet to try the iSight camera on the display thru the PC...

Thanks again Howard Long for sharing that the StarTech adapter works on a bootcamped mac. I can now happily say it works great on a relatively low-end PC as well.

shakman
08-27-2013, 01:39 AM
Thanks a lot Howard! The startech adapter works on a PC thru a usb2.0 port as well.

Casshern
11-21-2013, 04:26 PM
I can also confirm that the StarTech.com USB 3.0 to Displayport adapter is working with the Apple Cinema LED Display (mini displayport). The Lindy adapter did not, not even after exchangeing it with referencing this forum and the statement that there should be a new design correcting this bug. So as far as I know, stay clear of the Lindy, get the StarTech.com if you want to use the Apple Cinema Display.

Hi all,

Just confirming that StarTech.com USB 3.0 to DisplayPort adapter USB32DPPRO is now working great for me on a core2duo Dell laptop PC via a USB 2.0 port to an Apple Cinema LED Display 27" (non-thunderbolt).

The issue I was having is that I was using a SIIG displaylink adapter (not a StarTech one). The SIIG adapter does NOT work with the Cinema Display (same problem as Lindy adapter that other folks are having on this thread). The StarTech adapter works PERFECTLY!

I'm using following:

StarTech.com USB 3.0 to DisplayPort:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CXFM64/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

StarTech 6 inch DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Video Cable Adapter - M/F :

Dell Latitude E4200 via USB 2.0 port, 3GB RAM, Win7.

I'm getting the full native resolution of 1260x1440. The picture is perfect. The refresh rate is good enough for daily web browsing, email etc, but obviously not good for games since i'm using usb2.0. However, I'm just using it for work and I'm using remote Desktop / VNC which works perfectly and the refresh rate is good enough for me. Even with just a dual-core 1.6ghz cpu, the performance is pretty impressive!

Additionally, I'm also using a cheap display port switcher to switch between my mac-mini and Dell laptop:
Kanex SnapX 2x Switcher for Mac ($28 on amazon). This works perfectly too!

I've also got a Dell port replicator (docking station), and it works fine thru it's USB2.0 port as well. I'm a happy camper :)

One hint: if you don't have the cinema display drivers installed on your PC, don't worry. The audio works out of the box on Windows 7, including the volume control. The brightness control is not available without the driver. However, if you set the brightness of the monitor using the mac, the monitor will remember it and use the same for the PC. The drivers are apparently available in Boot Camp and can be installed on a PC, but I haven't tried it. There are several other threads discussing that. I have yet to try the iSight camera on the display thru the PC...

Thanks again Howard Long for sharing that the StarTech adapter works on a bootcamped mac. I can now happily say it works great on a relatively low-end PC as well.