PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my iMac as a monitor for a Mac mini with this?

mondair99
08-09-2012, 06:47 AM
Here's the case:

I am purchasing a Mac mini in a few months.

I am trying to entirely prepare myself for when it is shipped to my doorstep.

I am still, however, hesitant to buy a VGA monitor, because I have an iMac that might have the potential to act as a monitor. It is an old iMac that will be replaced by the Mac mini.

This is where you forum members come in. You guys and gals are to tell me whether or not I need to buy a monitor.

My setup:

iMac G5 running 10.5.8 Leopard.

Will be getting:

Mac mini running newest Apple OS X version.

Already have:
Apple USB Keyboard (2 USB ports, 1999 edition)
Just a generic mouse
80gb external hard disk(?...just thought I'd mention it in case it came in handy)

The only reason I doubt VGA2USB will work is the fact that the video source will

1). Leave Mac mini via MiniDisplayPort, from a VGA socket without prongs
2). Exit the MiniDisplayPort dongle into double-ended VGA cable with prongs
3). Enter a VGA2USB device via the double-ended cable
4). USB end is received by the iMac.

That's pretty complicated, I know... but will it work... that's my question. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been attempted, but it would make my day if you actually knew the answer to my question. :)

~m99

GodwinC
08-09-2012, 09:03 AM
No I don't think they even make a driver for G5. The only way I can think of to reuse your old monitor is to use desktop sharing aka VNC.

Here's the case:

I am purchasing a Mac mini in a few months.

I am trying to entirely prepare myself for when it is shipped to my doorstep.

I am still, however, hesitant to buy a VGA monitor, because I have an iMac that might have the potential to act as a monitor. It is an old iMac that will be replaced by the Mac mini.

This is where you forum members come in. You guys and gals are to tell me whether or not I need to buy a monitor.

My setup:

iMac G5 running 10.5.8 Leopard.

Will be getting:

Mac mini running newest Apple OS X version.

Already have:
Apple USB Keyboard (2 USB ports, 1999 edition)
Just a generic mouse
80gb external hard disk(?...just thought I'd mention it in case it came in handy)

The only reason I doubt VGA2USB will work is the fact that the video source will

1). Leave Mac mini via MiniDisplayPort, from a VGA socket without prongs
2). Exit the MiniDisplayPort dongle into double-ended VGA cable with prongs
3). Enter a VGA2USB device via the double-ended cable
4). USB end is received by the iMac.

That's pretty complicated, I know... but will it work... that's my question. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been attempted, but it would make my day if you actually knew the answer to my question. :)

~m99

mondair99
08-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Can you explain VNC to me?

Catherine
08-22-2012, 06:43 PM
VNC stands for 'Virtual Nework Computing', and is basically the standard protocol that various companies sell as "screen sharing". In a nutshell, VNC operates by sending an image of a server computer's desktop over the network, and the client computer's mouse and keyboard input back to the server.

VNC is also used for such tools as Air Display (http://avatron.com/apps/air-display) and Screen Recycler, (http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html) which trick your server (main) computer think it has an extra monitor attached. The apps then only stream the contents of that extra monitor over the network to a recipient computer, which, when displayed as full-screen, gives the impression that the entire secondary computer's display is part of your main desktop.

Note: there's probably going to be somewhat more lag than you'll find on a DisplayLink device, even if you're connected via 1000BaseT instead of wifi. Still, depending on what you're doing, that might be more than acceptable.

(As a side note: While no other Macs can be, all 27" iMacs can be used as an external Mini DisplayPort monitor--so assuming you like glossy screens, when the cost of an old 27" iMac drops below the cost of a 27" monitor... go for it.)

mp9_sit
08-23-2012, 02:36 AM
Here to go

http://mac.appstorm.net/how-to/os-x/using-screen-sharing-in-os-x-leopard/

mondair99
08-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks so much! Both of you. I'm grateful anyone actually bothered to answer my questions.

Sincerely,
M99