PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion Problems

paulmj21
07-31-2012, 12:35 PM
As well as the aforementioned flicker problems I also have lost the entry boxes for my login screen. (I can bypass the problem if I use automatic login, but then can't logout). The input box is still there, (though hidden) I can sometimes guess roughly were the input box should be and type blindly and still get in.

The problem is resolved if I uninstall DisplayLink Driver.

Here is a macrumors thread from other users who have a similar problem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1191946

Your help would be appreciated.

Mountain Lion
DisplayLink_Installer 1.8

rrggrr
07-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Black screen.

chandler767
08-04-2012, 05:24 PM
You can still type your password the box just isn't loading. Turn on automatic login until they fix this.

Other issues you are probably having are:
Finder crashes
Flash crashes
Login issues
Photo booth wont load

pmiddlet72
08-07-2012, 07:37 PM
I had a clean install of OS X 10.8 and noticed a number of repeating issues.

New installation ran fine until installation of DisplayLink Driver v1.8.

Notable issues:
Login screen inputs invisible.
iTerm crashes.
Installation of Chrome fails (Console noted simultaneous plugin issues with FlashPlayer 10.6)
System Preferences crash upon attempting to view screensaver options.
Screen Saver initiation w/ hot corner failed.

Unexpected issue:
Using outlook to choose a file to attach to email - outlook crashes when choose file in dropdown.

Once I uninstalled displaylink. All back to normal. I can send a Console dump as requested.

I can't tell what the graphical issue pushing an otherwise ok driver to go kerplunk from the OS X 10.8 side.

Note - I"m using a Late 2011 MBP 13" w/ 2.4GHz Intel i5. 8GB RAM. 500GB SATA HDD (5400rpm). One external monitor: DVI to Thunderbolt, Second external monitor, via Kensington Adapter w/ Displaylink (now down due to uninstall of DIsplayLink 1.8 Driver).

Many thanks,
Phillip

paulmj21
08-20-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm finding the lack of response from the DL team quite frustrating. I have written a polite email asking for an update and after a few weeks have not yet received a reply. They are still saying on their driver downloads page that v1.8 is Mountain Lion ready; it's quite clear from the forum that this is not the case.

I appreciate that they are having to do catch up with Apple, but the latest driver is simply not suitable for everyday use with Mountain Lion. They should make that clear on their download page.

It would also be helpful if they could give us an update as to what stage they are at in addressing the problem.

Carlo
08-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Hi All,

We can reproduce the login issue and a few crashes. We have prioritised the login issue first however as it looks more widespread and may explain other problems.
If it is something we can fix we will release a 1.8.1 version asap.

Carlo

Gilbert
08-22-2012, 01:23 AM
Hi there

I seem to have the same issues. I downloaded the updated driver for Mountain Lion, and after reinstalling Mountain Lion again, it was working sporadically, but not great. I have three external monitors plugged into a MacBook Pro (2011), one through the thunderbolt connection and two with DisplayLink 2.0 USBs.

The login screen disappears (like others I can login through guesswork), and Skype crashes repeatedly. I use Skype constantly for work so it is not an option not to have it on. Finder crashes periodically as well.

I have uninstalled the latest DisplayLink drivers (and reinstalled without success, and uninstalled again) which has stopped the issues. A solution would be very much appreciated as I use multiple screens the whole time.

Cheers

Gilbert
08-26-2012, 11:19 PM
I've just downloaded the Mountain Lion 10.8.1 upgrade with no effect or improvement on the DisplayLink issues.

My only workaround to the Skype crashing/blank login page at the moment is:

*uninstall DisplayLink
*unplug the monitors
*restart the laptop
*reinstall DisplayLink
*restart the laptop
*plug in the monitors

Bluetooth has been turned off as well.

Are we likely to have a solution to this anytime soon?

chris.ridgeway
08-27-2012, 04:45 PM
I have spent over 70 minutes on the phone with Apple on my login screen not rendering correctly. They have me with senior advisors now, and they report never having encountered this issue.

I am also able to "click" in the middle of my screen and type my password and get it to login, even though I can't see what I'm doing. Took me a while to discover this.

Help is appreciated asap.

DisplayLink USB adapter: BVU195
MacBook Pro 13" (late 2011)
OS X 10.8 (12A269)

jcohn25
08-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Mountain Lion Users: Until this problem is fixed and if you get stuck in the monitor login dead zone...:confused:

Reboot your Mac while holding down the <shift> key. This will boot the system into 'Safe Mode' and then you can uninstall the DisplayPort driver so things function normally until this is addressed.

I just thought I would help out a few that I have read are stuck on screens not sure what option they have.

I REALLY wish there would be some kind of response to this problem? The radio silence is very very unprofessional. I think we are all just looking for 'Acknowledged and we are actively working on a fix'

forza
08-29-2012, 08:58 AM
I REALLY wish there would be some kind of response to this problem? The radio silence is very very unprofessional. I think we are all just looking for 'Acknowledged and we are actively working on a fix'

The response from Carlo (#6 on previous page) is just that isn't it?

paulgee31
08-31-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm suffering from flickering in Safari and in Firefox there is an offset which means mouse clicks have to be offset.

We really need a fix quickly.

andynormancx
08-31-2012, 11:24 AM
I've also run into this problem, blank login screen 50% of the time and Finder/Skype crashing.

Oddly for the first day or so of using Mountain Lion I only had the login problem, then the Finder and Skype crashes started.

You don't need to click randomly on the login screen, you can use the down arrow to move down the the list of users, then use the left/right arrows to select the user (if you have more than one user), then hit enter and type your password, then enter again.

For the moment though I've had to remove the driver, the Finder and Skype crashes are a showstopper. Time to tell all my DisplayLink using friends not to upgrade to ML yet :(

MickM
09-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I haven't seen any of the login screen problems yet, but boy am I seeing screen flicker under mountain lion. It's possible that me not seeing login screen problems is because my main screen (the one anointed to have the menubar) is not a displaylink controlled screen. In addition to the screen flicker, whenever I invoke mission control the little window containing the image of the DisplayLink monitor is just messed up. In case it matters, I'm running 10.8.1 on a retina 15" MacBook Pro. I'm really looking forward to the next update for DisplayLink - I check every day for it!

Stephen
09-04-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm starting to get just as frustrated as everyone else, I was just lurking in these threads because the problems I have been seeing other people have been seeing.

However I now have to add another voice to the chorus.

I use a DisplayLink adapter to drive a monitor while I am at work, outside of work I do not use a DisplayLink Adapter and I do not have any issues. At work, I have flickering content inside of browsers, I never see the box to enter my password when my screen saver activates, thankfully I've just been able to type blindly. Also I get the occasional kernel panic.

I'm at the point where I will not be able to recommend any DisplayLink product to anyone.

MickM
09-04-2012, 01:37 PM
I use a DisplayLink adapter to drive a monitor while I am at work, outside of work I do not have any issues.

Are you implying that outside of work you use a DisplayLink adapter and mountain lion and you do not have any issues?

Stephen
09-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Are you implying that outside of work you use a DisplayLink adapter and mountain lion and you do not have any issues?

I fixed the wording in my post to make it a bit clearer. I do not use a DisplayLink Adapter when not at work.

stevedave
09-06-2012, 07:04 PM
I fixed the wording in my post to make it a bit clearer. I do not use a DisplayLink Adapter when not at work.

I'm in the same boat as Stephen... frustrated and yeah.. kind of need my second monitor to work since this is for work. I may just have to save up for a thunderbolt display from apple to "resolve" my issue.

unusedusername
09-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I've found as a work around to this that if you enable disk encryption (Preferences->Security & Privacy->FileVault) that the normal login screen is replaced with one that does not get broken when DisplayLink is installed.

Just in case anyone is looking for a better solution then leaving the computer unlocked all the time.

stevedave
09-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Thats good to know and now I know why I never had this login issue everybody talked about. Full disk encryption is always on my stuff. Just have the lower resolution and graphical corruption on the secondary monitor in my cause.

Andy
09-07-2012, 05:03 AM
Im using a MAC Book Pro, Core 2 Duo, so not the latest model but have upgraded with DisplayLink from Tiger, through Lion and now on to Mountain Lion. I use a Toshiba docking station and two USB adapters for a three screen solution at work (four with my MAC screen included). Basically the apps I use every day for business including Microsoft and Outlook all work fine. There is a very annoying bug in the 10.8 OS which changes random text to caps when entering phrases like 'I'm ' which is nothing to do with DisplayLink but other areas work fine. I had one issue with flickering in Safari which is when I have the option selected to show recent site images, but resetting this to not show the site image selection screen and default the browser to a given website overcomes this.

Not sure why I'm different or maybe people only come here when something is wrong but for me it's fine for work and I believe updates are coming likely from both Apple and DisplayLink given this is a new OS there are bound to be teething issues.

Andy

jcohn25
09-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Carlo,
Is there any timeline you can share about a 1.8.1 release to fix this issue?

thanks
Jeff

scelfo
09-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Carlo,
Is there any timeline you can share about a 1.8.1 release to fix this issue?

thanks
Jeff

+1, looking forward to an update about 1.8.1

kp_ecuador
09-15-2012, 04:41 PM
In my case, besides grey login screen, it crashes finder, preview, the whole office suite and even itunes.

Please let me know if there will be an updated driver soon, so I would return the product.

KP

MickM
09-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I visit this site every day looking for 1.8.1...
I know the people working on a fix for all the Mountain Lion issues work better under pressure, so I thought I'd add another post to this topic ;-).

chandler767
09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
I check it every single day as well. Starting to lose hope...

Stephen
09-17-2012, 04:38 PM
I check multiple times a day :(

cmwade77
09-17-2012, 06:32 PM
What is the status on this? I think we have been waiting patiently, but since Apple says that we need to contact the driver manufacturer to get a new driver, they make it sound like you already have one. So, where can we get it?

ETA: Here is the link to Apple's support document on this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3977

Gilbert
09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Like others, I am checking this forum at least once a day for a solution.

DisplayLink, your products are great when they work - are we likely to see a solution, or even an update on progress, anytime soon?

Currently I can work around login and various programs crashing (Skype, Finder etc) by uninstalling and reinstalling several times (in order to hit the jackpot of the displays and programs working simultaneously) but it is time-consuming and frustrating.

roozter
09-18-2012, 08:04 PM
I have the same issues.

Login screen is blank; not showing login pictures or password entry box. My workaround for this is to hit the right arrow twice (there are only two user logins displayed) then enter then type my password. I am choosing to live with the issues (so far) and keep my third display rather than uninstall the driver and lose my third display.

Other issues you are probably having are:
Finder crashes - Yes
Flash crashes - Yes
Login issues - Yes, see above
Preview crashes - Yes
Shockwave crashes
Java, Shockwave and flash will not install. Image mounts but will not trigger the installation.

Attempted workaround: Reboot in "safe mode" and install flash, java and shockwave. This was successful but reboot into normal mode shows that the installtion did not take. I still receive messages about missing plug-ins.

jkirker
09-19-2012, 07:55 PM
1.8.2 will likely be out shortly... As a developer I've been running it and I can tell you that the same flicker issues exist w/ the latest version which will likely be very similar to the current build.

Are there any updates on this? Any ETA for a new driver release?

I imagine your volume is significant enough to have dedicated resource staff for development, right??

Thanks,
John

Teemu
09-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Displaylink does not work according to specs and if there is no fix soon I am returning mine. Warrantly is 12 months if I remember right.

Can anybody recommend another brand that actually works?

I have macbook later 2008 with two displays. One with DVI and another one with DisplayLink.

Teemu

GodwinC
09-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Get a new mac with thunderbolt.. that would work. Displaylink is the only game in town.

Displaylink does not work according to specs and if there is no fix soon I am returning mine. Warrantly is 12 months if I remember right.

Can anybody recommend another brand that actually works?

I have macbook later 2008 with two displays. One with DVI and another one with DisplayLink.

Teemu

fhall1
09-20-2012, 12:30 PM
1.8.2 will likely be out shortly... As a developer I've been running it and I can tell you that the same flicker issues exist w/ the latest version which will likely be very similar to the current build.

I imagine your volume is significant enough to have dedicated resource staff for development, right??

Thanks,
John

Hahaha...based on lack of response here lately, I doubt it. My USB MIMO has been sitting unused in a cabinet since I went to 10.7.3 on my iMac (that was the first version of Lion I installed - I never install before .3 is released)...it just too much of a hassle to have to mess with whether it's going to work right on any given day. Worked fine with 10.6.x, but those days are long gone.

cmwade77
09-20-2012, 04:27 PM

Thanks,
John

Can we download the developer version somewhere? Seriously, this is becoming a MAJOR problem.

ETA: I may have found a work around, it is not ideal, but may just work, I will test it out tomorrow and post if it does.

paulmj21
09-21-2012, 11:35 AM
cmwade77: I look forward to your findings. Any tips or workaround is really appreciated. Everyone else is at a loss as to what to do?

DL Team: I would really appreciate an update. Its been two months since Mountain Lion release... an exceptionally long time for a major software problem.

cmwade77
09-21-2012, 04:25 PM
So far, my Fix works, here is what is you need to do:

Restart your computer ins safe mode, if you cannot get finder to open.
Open terminal and enter chflags nohidden /System/Library/
Now, open finder and go to /System/Library/Extensions
Find the file DisplayLinkDriver.kext and copy it to your desktop.
Now delete the same file from your /System/Library/Extensions folder. (OS X will not let you simply move the file)
Download "Install KEXT" from: http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/04/install-kext-files-easily-with-kext-drop/
Restart your computer in regular mode and it should start up normally.
Use the Install KEXT and drag the DisplayLinkDriver.kext into the window and click install.
Restart your computer in reglar mode and all should be well now with your extra monitor working.

So far I have only needed to complete these steps once and it seems to be a permanent fix, but you can certainly do it multiple times if you find that you need to. I would also think that most, if not all of this can be automated somehow, but I don't have the skills to accomplish this. There may also be other methods that work with fewer steps, but this has worked for me.

Please note that at several points during this, you will need your administrator password.

Update 1: I found that you do have to do this every time you want to reboot, but it does seem to work every time.

Update 2: I am now not sure if you have to do this every reboot, I have had several successful reboots now without going through this process.

mfbiocoogana
09-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Same problems as everyone else and so angry I didn't check this out before I went ahead with the "upgrade" to mountain lion...... had my displaylink work for a total of 3 days..... FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fbaptiste
09-27-2012, 12:36 AM
Upgraded MBP recently to Mountain Lion after running it on my iMac for a while without any issues. MBP had major issues - in particular Finder (which by the way will open as long as it is not pointed to All My Files, which is how it opens for me from the dock). Flash failed.
Took forever to narrow it down to the Display Link drivers...
It's obviously been several months now since people have brought this to DisplayLink's attention... Any hope of getting this resolved quickly?? DisplayLink - anyone around? Or have you checked out of the Mac business?

cmwade77
09-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Unfortunately, my workaround above has stopped working for me as of today. This is very frustrating, but we have found another company (J5Create) that works flawlessly with Mountain Lion, the only catch is you need to download the drivers from their Facebook page, as they are still prerelease drivers.

paulmj21
09-28-2012, 11:53 AM
cmwade77: Just to clarify, are you saying that the 'J5Create' driver works with the DisplayLink adaptor or are you meaning get both the adaptor and driver from J5C? Can you send a link to their facebook download.

Come what may, I might have to consider ditching DisplayLink. The lack of support has been pitiful. All communication appears to have stopped.

cmwade77
09-28-2012, 02:50 PM
No, I am saying that the J5create device works and you may wish to purchase one of those devices instead.

The manufacturer of my device (Pluggable) is considering switching to the chips that they use (I believe it was MTA or something like that) as a result of this in the future. I have to say that their support has been excellent, but has been limited by DisplayLink's lack of support on this matter.

Wim
10-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi All

I have updated the status of our Mac development here:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2007

Wim

cmwade77
10-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi All

I have updated the status of our Mac development here:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2007

Wim
All of the issues listed there only happen when the login screen does not appear. Another issue is that Flash crashes when the login screen does not appear.

If you fix the login screen not appearing, all other issues should fix themselves as well.

Could we possibly get a beta of the 1.8.1 to test out with? We use these for business, luckily the manufacturer of our device has been very kind and offered us refunds, but I would still like to have them working properly instead, as I like their company better than the competition that already has drivers that work properly out.

clarksonator
10-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Will the update fix generally lag in window events? How about a weird screen glitch that causes a double of my cursor to appear?

Thanks

Wim
10-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm looking at what we can do to release a beta, with minimal impact on the engineering team.

Once we have the architecture, we hope it will fix all the weird issues users are seeing. I'm sure there will be new problems with the first beta releases of 2.0 we do, but the new architecture and code base should make it much easier to find solutions and fixes.

Wim

cmwade77
10-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm looking at what we can do to release a beta, with minimal impact on the engineering team.

Once we have the architecture, we hope it will fix all the weird issues users are seeing. I'm sure there will be new problems with the first beta releases of 2.0 we do, but the new architecture and code base should make it much easier to find solutions and fixes.

Wim
While I look forward to 2.0, I would just like to see 1.8.1 now. You do need to keep up with your competition, who already have drivers that are fully compatible with Mountain Lion and work with USB 3.0 devices.

I like you chips a bit better, as they seem to run faster when they work and I like the manufacturer that we are dealing with that uses your chips, so I want this to work, but it is going to need to do so soon.

paulmj21
10-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I appreciate the information update, however the problem that I see is the sheer amount of time that has elapsed since Mountain Lion shipped. Even that has now progressed to 10.8.2 and could easily jump up again before a Display Link Beta.

I also think that it is totally wrong not to mention this to unsuspecting new users of the Display Link driver, (that it is NOT compatible with Mountain Lion). Your download page suggests that it is Mountain Lion suitable, when clearly this is not the case.

I implore to speed up the process and remove the broken driver from your download page.

cmwade77
10-15-2012, 04:35 PM
I appreciate the information update, however the problem that I see is the sheer amount of time that has elapsed since Mountain Lion shipped. Even that has now progressed to 10.8.2 and could easily jump up again before a Display Link Beta.

I also think that it is totally wrong not to mention this to unsuspecting new users of the Display Link driver, (that it is NOT compatible with Mountain Lion). Your download page suggests that it is Mountain Lion suitable, when clearly this is not the case.

I implore to speed up the process and remove the broken driver from your download page.

At bare minimum, make a note that the current driver is NOT fully compatible with Mountain Lion.

cgierke
10-15-2012, 06:58 PM
I am running a business and bought 12 of these to use with our macs. This is complete unacceptable. Just like what everyone else is saying once i install the drivers everything else starts crashing. This needs to be fixed now. I have invested over $500 in this hard ware, and I am not about to have to pay for restocking fee. Please fix this problem or send me a check for the full amount of the product. I believe that I wouldn't be the only one ready to seek legal action against your company. Please just simply fix your product so we can use it like it is advertised to work. Thank you

defilm
10-16-2012, 03:08 AM
At bare minimum, make a note that the current driver is NOT fully compatible with Mountain Lion.

I would say this is poor policy. I have had to reboot my system so many times it caused damage to the file system, and I have had to do a full restore. Glad OS X has Time machine.

I have a quad monitor set-up at work and quad at home. I have had no problems to date, but with the DL driver loaded I have had so much instability, besides the Blank login screen, and core dumps, I have had MS Office 2011 inability to start and crash. Cold start, same problem, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, crash. Uninstall the driver, cold start, MS apps AOK.

3 adapters per location, but these were purchased a while ago. I rely on this to work to be productive. Sorry if MAC users seem impatient, but we put up with Apples crap, underpowered hardware, RAM compared to the PC market, because "A Mac just works", and that is what you want when you need to be productive. This driver destabilizes the OS, and REMOVING it is NOT an option! Now a 2.0? manes me really want to consider upgrading and replacing my USB adapters, especially if the other forums and support area is relatively clean and their drivers work... :confused:

yuryg
10-16-2012, 11:57 PM
While working for a computer manufacturer I appreciate your developer team trying to improve the product in to the future.

Unfortunately that is just what I would expect from a developer.

"Yeah ... it does not work ... but we can make it better. Why don't we just rewrite the code ... and ...and"

I have heard it before. That is usually when I step in and have them forget they are a developer and put themselves in the customers place. We have a LARGE number of users that have 22-25" Displays staring back at us with a blank screen.

While I welcome the 2.0 improvements, how about they just fix the code to have a WORKING version first.

Can you imagine what you are telling us????

OCTOBER - 15, just wait until Q1 and we will fix it. That is is a minimum of 4 to 5 months you are asking us to stare at a blank screen. Do you really think that all of us will do that?

Now you are also asking your partners to argue with until now happy customers who have a $100 piece of @#$&(*&@# lying on their desk and unable to do anything about it.

Please pass our feelings to the executives (CTO, CIO, Executive in charge of Trash removal) and have them put this ship back on track by providing a fix that us with Mountain Lion 1.8.2 can stabilize on.

If you provide a fix for 1.8.2 I would be glad to Freeze the system until Q1 and not update the root kernel waiting for the full release.

defilm
10-18-2012, 02:01 AM
I have a quad monitor set-up at work and quad at home and work. That is 6 total. This is just rock bottom poor support. I realize how difficult it is in the US to get highly skilled IT workers. I suspect this problem goes much deeper. Remember that the ROI is low. Existing customers don't bring in additional revenue. The motivation to resolve this would be higher if this was a Win7 problem just on volume alone. What I do find unethical is that they are still claiming 10.8 compliant and selling to new unsuspecting customers. That may induce me to write my friends at @techcrunch, and @mashable, @maccult on twitter, and let them get the word out.

I am loyal, but it can only go so far. Having worked as an EE, PE working my way up after 25+ years to Director and Managing Director, I am linkedIn to some peers over at ATEN corp among many other OEM's. (ATEN are the makers of the I/O gear products, which I have 6 of, and each of my IT staff have at least one to support their second monitor. I conveyed the concern. Unfortunately they do not write drivers for their products, understand the issue, but their hands are tied. I MUST have a solution NOW. I need 30-35 units ASAP that work on Mac OS X 10.8 mountain lion. I saw that it was mentioned that a competitor has Mountain Lion drivers that work fine on their product. I don't expect DisplayLink to allow the name of a superior competitor product, and there are at least 10-12 out there from Diamond Media, to Sabant and everything in between, so it is pretty hard to tell which is the known working product.

The person that mentioned he saw a compeditors unit working with 10.8 mountain lion, would you mind sending me an email at defilm at defilm.me so I can stop our bleeding please? Clearly DL don't have a 1.8.1 that resolves the problems, or they would release a beta. I am intimately familiar with proper regression testing, but when the "city of houses is burning to the ground, you get water on it ASAP", you don't play with the fire nozzle on the end of the hose! I don't care if the units are $200 each, the productivity loss is costing far more.

Many thanks!!

PS. I will order one unit overnight. If it works, I will order the remaining balance of 30+ units that I need. I will contact you back for shipping information and I will purchase up to two units for the first provider of the working vendor information and have them drop shipped to you at no cost to you to show my appreciation.

Wim
10-18-2012, 03:37 PM
I agree with you all... if I was in your position I would also be frustrated.

We have a 1.8.1 beta, but it doesn't address many of the issues that have been raised about Mountain Lion. If I released it, I would give it a few hours before it was ripped apart as not a solution. And it needs bug changes to 1.8 to work around the OS bugs causing the issues.

We have to get our v2.0 software out. We're whipping the dev team as hard as we can to get this done, but they're already rowing as fast as they can.

V2.0 development is going better than expected and we should be able to deliver a preview before the end of the year. But it is not ready yet, so can't just magic something up.

Wim

cmwade77
10-19-2012, 06:23 PM
3 adapters per location, but these were purchased a while ago. I rely on this to work to be productive. Sorry if MAC users seem impatient, but we put up with Apples crap, underpowered hardware, RAM compared to the PC market, because "A Mac just works", and that is what you want when you need to be productive. This driver destabilizes the OS, and REMOVING it is NOT an option! Now a 2.0? manes me really want to consider upgrading and replacing my USB adapters, especially if the other forums and support area is relatively clean and their drivers work... :confused:

Even though they were purchased a while ago, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the device, they may have an option, our said that they are looking at using the same chips as in the J5Create's devices, as they seem to have better support and that they would replace our devices with the ones with the new chips, in the meanwhile they gave us a complete refund and let us keep the device. I honestly want to keep using their products just because of that, but I can't if they continue to use DisplayLink and they don't come out with updated drivers.

cmwade77
10-19-2012, 06:27 PM
I agree with you all... if I was in your position I would also be frustrated.

We have a 1.8.1 beta, but it doesn't address many of the issues that have been raised about Mountain Lion. If I released it, I would give it a few hours before it was ripped apart as not a solution. And it needs bug changes to 1.8 to work around the OS bugs causing the issues.

We have to get our v2.0 software out. We're whipping the dev team as hard as we can to get this done, but they're already rowing as fast as they can.

V2.0 development is going better than expected and we should be able to deliver a preview before the end of the year. But it is not ready yet, so can't just magic something up.

Wim

Well, then stop ALL work on 2.0 and get 1.8.1 stable and out, bottom line is your competitors have caught up and passed you. They are offering Mac support for USB 3.0 devices, even on Mountain Lion. Are their drivers perfect? No (if anyone claims a driver or piece of software is perfect and cannot be improved, I would worry about them), but they work and don't cause all of these crashes.

So, unfortunately, from our (the customers) point of view, it shows that you are not trying hard enough to get a fix out. I know that may sound harsh, but it's the honest truth.

I think it may be time to start a Twitter/Facebook campaign to warn everyone about the lack of Mountain Lion support for Displaylink devices, so that they aren't suckered into thinking that they will work.

r8r
10-20-2012, 08:07 AM
I couldn't care less whether you call it a 1.8.x or 2.x release. I just want to be able to use my 3rd screen again. If you don't come up with a solution soon I will never find out what magic unicorn things v2.0 will do, as the displaylink adapter long will have been chucked by then.
Apart from the fact of this somewhat ridiculous support, I think your problem also is, that your user base consists of a fair share of developers and we all know how to not approach upgrade issues; mountain lion has been released for developers months and months ago and you've had plenty of time to release a working driver. Take off the note on your driver page at least, that its supposed to be working on 10.8.
Last but not least, the statement, that you're "whipping the dev team as hard as you can" gave me shivers; I'm glad I don't work for displaylink.
Don't get me wrong: I am a development shop owner myself and know how devestating Environment changes can be to resource planning, but I don't understand why management doesn't have the guts to take responsibility and officially address this issue.

Carlo
10-20-2012, 09:45 AM
I couldn't care less whether you call it a 1.8.x or 2.x release. I just want to be able to use my 3rd screen again. If you don't come up with a solution soon I will never find out what magic unicorn things v2.0 will do, as the displaylink adapter long will have been chucked by then.
Apart from the fact of this somewhat ridiculous support, I think your problem also is, that your user base consists of a fair share of developers and we all know how to not approach upgrade issues; mountain lion has been released for developers months and months ago and you've had plenty of time to release a working driver. Take off the note on your driver page at least, that its supposed to be working on 10.8.
Last but not least, the statement, that you're "whipping the dev team as hard as you can" gave me shivers; I'm glad I don't work for displaylink.
Don't get me wrong: I am a development shop owner myself and know how devestating Environment changes can be to resource planning, but I don't understand why management doesn't have the guts to take responsibility and officially address this issue.

Some really good points here, thank you r8r.
Yes there has been a lapse in communication, nobody could ever deny that. We should in hindsight also have tested more use cases on more platforms as the changes in the undocumented and unsupported parts of the OS we interface to (you are a developer: try to find the graphics DDK for OS X) have been much more than what seemed at first sight.

On the other hand, if a software is resulting in an atrocious user experience with version 10.8.0 of the OS and exactly the same software has a much better user experience with 10.8.2 (5 critical OS bugs fixed up to now, 6 to go), how shall we define its quality? On my system I have only 1 issue left for example and I know it's another OS bug.
You also have to consider that the same exact issues are also reproducible (on the same systems) even with the other Miracle Devices often mentioned on the forum.
I think I'll write a separate post about the whole ML user experience.

Anyway, I wanted to reassure you about the work conditions in DisplayLink.
The dev team is fine, thanks, we are actually pretty excited about progress on the unicorn.
Our version of whipping has been a very successful week-end in the mountains to bond the team with a lot of physical exercise, laughter and good cooking. Unconfirmed reports say that alcohol played a role as well..
We have open positions by the way: http://www.displaylink.com/careers/job_board.php

Cheers,
Carlo

P.S. We might change our internal code name for 2.0, I think "unicorn" is brilliant.

andynormancx
10-21-2012, 12:58 AM
How about at least updating this page:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

so that it doesn't falsely claim that you support OSX 10.8, several people have pointed out this falsehood and yet weeks later the page still says that your driver supports 10.8, which it does not in any meaningful way.

People are STILL buying the various DL based products expecting them to work correctly with OSX 10.8

fhall1
10-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Gotta agree with andynormancx about the note on the driver page.....while you guys are partying in the mountains, people are still wasting money on hardware that won't work.

jdeuce77
10-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Gotta agree with andynormancx about the note on the driver page.....while you guys are partying in the mountains, people are still wasting money on hardware that won't work.
Agreed. It's the least I think your company can do to at least show responsibility in addressing the problem.

cmwade77
10-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Some really good points here, thank you r8r.
Yes there has been a lapse in communication, nobody could ever deny that. We should in hindsight also have tested more use cases on more platforms as the changes in the undocumented and unsupported parts of the OS we interface to (you are a developer: try to find the graphics DDK for OS X) have been much more than what seemed at first sight.

On the other hand, if a software is resulting in an atrocious user experience with version 10.8.0 of the OS and exactly the same software has a much better user experience with 10.8.2 (5 critical OS bugs fixed up to now, 6 to go), how shall we define its quality? On my system I have only 1 issue left for example and I know it's another OS bug.
You also have to consider that the same exact issues are also reproducible (on the same systems) even with the other Miracle Devices often mentioned on the forum.
I think I'll write a separate post about the whole ML user experience.

Anyway, I wanted to reassure you about the work conditions in DisplayLink.
The dev team is fine, thanks, we are actually pretty excited about progress on the unicorn.
Our version of whipping has been a very successful week-end in the mountains to bond the team with a lot of physical exercise, laughter and good cooking. Unconfirmed reports say that alcohol played a role as well..
We have open positions by the way: http://www.displaylink.com/careers/job_board.php

Cheers,
Carlo

P.S. We might change our internal code name for 2.0, I think "unicorn" is brilliant.
Hmm....I don't think that a trip to the mountains is the best use of time until a fix for the problems is released. I definitely want my Pluggable device working properly on Mountain Lion. I don't care that it's only a 2.0 device, we have enough of these around the office that is an issue. I can see taking the trip after the fix is out, but not before.

Again, your competitors have these drivers out already (as well as ones for USB 3.0), which means they have obviously found a way around these "Operating System Bugs", so it is possible to do. Now, I do agree that Apple should fix their bugs, but if there are ways around them, then it is your responsibility to make your product work properly. I don't like the blame game, we don't accept it within our office and I don't accept it from those that I do business with. Bottom line is it either works properly or it doesn't.

I have started a Facebook page about these problems to try to bring public attention to the issue and help others not waste their time and/or money. For us, it was only wasted time as the manufacturer took care of us, but for many, it is also a waste of money.

The Facebook page is at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/DisplayLink-OS-X-Mountain-Lion-Problems/437576346278575

defilm
10-23-2012, 02:06 AM
Hmm....I don't think that a trip to the mountains is the best use of time until a fix for the problems is released. I definitely want my Pluggable device working properly on Mountain Lion. I don't care that it's only a 2.0 device, we have enough of these around the office that is an issue. I can see taking the trip after the fix is out, but not before.

Again, your competitors have these drivers out already (as well as ones for USB 3.0), which means they have obviously found a way around these "Operating System Bugs", so it is possible to do. Now, I do agree that Apple should fix their bugs, but if there are ways around them, then it is your responsibility to make your product work properly. I don't like the blame game, we don't accept it within our office and I don't accept it from those that I do business with. Bottom line is it either works properly or it doesn't.

I have started a Facebook page about these problems to try to bring public attention to the issue and help others not waste their time and/or money. For us, it was only wasted time as the manufacturer took care of us, but for many, it is also a waste of money.

The Facebook page is at:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/DisplayLink-OS-X-Mountain-Lion-Problems/437576346278575

Not Sure Facebook is the right medium unless you get tons of people to write and link to it. I think I can have more impact writing on my Blog, and then hitting my twitter account, and asking my MAC twitter friends to populate the link so we can at least save some fellow Mac users from getting stuck in the same trap. My Blog is normally about FIber Optics, and Enterprise Network Theory and best practices, and most of my followers are Enterprise engineers, industry analysts, equity analysts in those area's. THis product does not exactly fit, but heck it is 500,000 people, and if I can get the link tweeted by all my Mac friends (You know them @cultofmac, @cali, @techcrunch, etc... we can get it in front of a million of more people in under 2 days. Heck, it only took a few days to undermine all of Egypt.... How hard could this be? :D

defilm
10-23-2012, 04:27 AM
I have some IOGEAR USB-DVI I purchased back when on Tiger 10.4! Plus several Startech, and some Kensington. They all have the Displaylink chipsets.

I added a review for my Startech units. But when I went to add one for my IOGEAR, it said "one already existed". I looked. It was a review from 10.4 and 5 stars. It had a update for Lion 10.6, Updated in December 2010 I believe, stating it works great through Tiger 10.4, Leopard 10.5, Snow Leopard 10.6, Lion 10.7. Well I updated the updated update, and note that for Mountain Lion 10.8, v1.8 is a disaster and unusable.

I noticed there are many others under every USB to DVI device on Amazon.com, and Newegg.com with 1 star. So I have reviewed all my owned devices, and that is what I love about Amazon, it notes that I am an actual purchaser.

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE people to write reviews on Amazon.com. I fyou own the device, you can write it there. If you bought it from Amazon.com, even better.

There is a glimmering light:

Today I purchased a Mac Mini. It comes with a HDMI out and a THunderbolt port. Apple sells a HDMI to dVI cable, and of course the thunderbolt has a DVI. Native support for 2 displays with no USB 2.0 limitations. Word has it HDMI outputs coming next on Mac Book Pro's. RUmor, but Apple rumors are becoming more tangible.

I also know of a Canadian product OEM that makes many intelligent memory and laptop devices that is creating a Dual DVI from THunderbolt device. Not all that difficult to do since Thunderbolt is a dual channel technology, but takes some engineering. (Yes, being a PE & EE has it's advantages when it comes to assessing technology as I do for Wall Street every day.... Equity analysts are not all that technical.. they need technical engineers to tell them when products are sound, and which companies are leaders and aspiring, and plain poor.). Simple fact is if displaylink has 100% of it's revenues prior to OS X 10.8, and it can not support 10.8 OS X, which is some X% of category revenue, this will show up on the next income statement as a upcoming revenue reduction. Analysts need to know this information and they appreciate it.

cmwade77
10-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Not Sure Facebook is the right medium unless you get tons of people to write and link to it. I think I can have more impact writing on my Blog, and then hitting my twitter account, and asking my MAC twitter friends to populate the link so we can at least save some fellow Mac users from getting stuck in the same trap. My Blog is normally about FIber Optics, and Enterprise Network Theory and best practices, and most of my followers are Enterprise engineers, industry analysts, equity analysts in those area's. THis product does not exactly fit, but heck it is 500,000 people, and if I can get the link tweeted by all my Mac friends (You know them @cultofmac, @cali, @techcrunch, etc... we can get it in front of a million of more people in under 2 days. Heck, it only took a few days to undermine all of Egypt.... How hard could this be? :D
Please post away, Facebook was the best choice for me, but I will support every effort to bring this out so that people know about the issues and will know to avoid products with these chips because of the lack of support.

MyDisplayLinkDoesntWork
10-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Any idea of when a fix for this will be done? Perhaps something a little more concrete than "end of the year?" I really wish I would have read these forums instead of taking the driver page info for granted. I would have purchased a different product.

scelfo
10-24-2012, 12:39 AM
I've been watching this thread for a while. Today, I took out my mimo UM-710 monitor that has been sitting in my desk drawer since I upgraded to 10.8.

My mac is running 10.8.2.

I installed the 1.8 drivers currently available on http://displaylink.com/mac.

I have two normal monitors and the mimo UM-710 monitor. They are all working right now. Here's what I did:

1\ Download/install the drivers.
2\ Reboot.
3\ Log in.
4\ Plug in the mimo monitor and turn it on. At this point, the two normal monitors flashed blue like I'd expect but the mimo didn't work.
5\ Open System Preferences > Displays.
6\ Observe that there is a dialog for the mimo monitor but there wasn't a small draggable screen in the Arrangement tab.
7\ (here's the weird workaround) I change the rotation for the mimo monitor to be 180°.
8\ Content showed up on the mimo monitor and a draggable screen showed up in the Arrangement tab. It seems to work fine.

It also worked at 90° and 270°, just not at Standard rotation. Unfortunately, I never tried the rotation setting on 10.8 so I don't know if the OS bug fixes in 10.8.2 mentioned in this thread fixed anything.

Seems like the rotation triggers some kind of software scaling/transform that works around a bug. Now my monitor is happily connected to my computer and I have an ugly usb cable sticking out of the top of the monitor. Much better than leaving it in my desk drawer and getting more frustrated with DisplayLink as a company.

I hope this works for someone else!

I also hope that DisplayLink steps up and puts a notice on their website about compatibility problems with 10.8.*. A "Known Issues" post on http://displaylink.com/mac would be a good start.

nathan
10-24-2012, 02:58 PM
I experienced this same fix. Unfortunately, I can't physically rotate my monitor upside down to match the orientation. :(

andynormancx
10-25-2012, 10:22 AM
How about at least updating this page:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

so that it doesn't falsely claim that you support OSX 10.8, several people have pointed out this falsehood and yet weeks later the page still says that your driver supports 10.8, which it does not in any meaningful way.

I'm pleased to see that the page has now been updated to say there are problems with 10.8, well done DisplayLink.

However, the knowledge base article that they link to doesn't detail the most serious problems that I had with the driver, namely that it caused Finder and Skype to repeatedly crash and so rendered the machine unusable.

ikki
10-25-2012, 05:57 PM
It's clear that the DisplayLink v1.8 drivers have serious problems with OS X 10.8. For instance, I am also experiencing the crash of Finder - on a brand new mac with only DisplayLink drivers installed.

Do we have any official statement from DisplayLink?
In their "Mac software releases update" post, they mention that a new version may be available on Q1 2013. Any update?

Cheers,
Luca

MickM
11-01-2012, 01:00 PM
I experienced this same fix. Unfortunately, I can't physically rotate my monitor upside down to match the orientation. :(

Got excited there for a moment. I set my DisplayLink monitor for upside-down orientation and restarted etc, but I still get the same epilepsy-inducing screen flashing. Oh well.

At this point I'm going to back off pushing on the DisplayLink developer because I guess it's clear that Apple introduced this bug with Mountain Lion and the developer is left holding the bag. I also use other applications in which Apple's CoreGraphics's bugs yield totally messed up visuals. I'm going to go back through this thread and see if there is a reference to an Apple bug number and then just report it myself to try and up the priority. I hear they've started seeding 10.8.3 - man I hope Apple have done something about this in that release. I wouldn't mind seeing a vague smiling emoticon from the developer as an indication that this will bring improvements.

cmwade77
11-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Got excited there for a moment. I set my DisplayLink monitor for upside-down orientation and restarted etc, but I still get the same epilepsy-inducing screen flashing. Oh well.

At this point I'm going to back off pushing on the DisplayLink developer because I guess it's clear that Apple introduced this bug with Mountain Lion and the developer is left holding the bag. I also use other applications in which Apple's CoreGraphics's bugs yield totally messed up visuals. I'm going to go back through this thread and see if there is a reference to an Apple bug number and then just report it myself to try and up the priority. I hear they've started seeding 10.8.3 - man I hope Apple have done something about this in that release. I wouldn't mind seeing a vague smiling emoticon from the developer as an indication that this will bring improvements.

I am not going to back off of them, the more that I use the J5Create's device, the more I realize that at least the crashing issues are NOT an OS issue, as their device is working quite well under Mountain Lion.

Yes, there are some minor display issues that are on OS issue, but these are resolved by simply moving the cursor and don't happen all that often.

quang4me
11-03-2012, 08:38 AM
After installing the driver 1.8, I randomly got the login issue after starting the computer, it doesn't show up the user login boxes.
Even though I can bypass this problem by typing my password and login blindly, I couldn't make Preview app, Flash and XCode work after that, they constantly crashed.

All programs above work fine if I (luckily and randomly) start my computer with no login issue.

Therefore, I believe that it's not just a login issue per se, but its related effects need to be resolved also.

johnkramlich
11-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I recently went from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. Previously, my monitor connected via DisplayLink correctly set the maximum resolution of my display to 1920x1080. It now incorrectly sets the max resolution to 1280x1024. The highest resolution I can set the monitor to without distortion, due to the wrong aspect ratio, is 1280 x 800.

My monitor is an Acer S231HL

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/MONITOR/2010/Acer/S231HL/S231HLsp2.shtml

As a fellow software developer, I urge you to create a tool for advanced users that would allow a person to input the maximum resolution and refresh rate manually. I know this is probably easier said then done.

wilkesalex
11-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Hi there,

Mountain Lion 10.8.2
Mid 2009 Macbook Pro 8Gb 2.53 Core2Duo
9400M-256MB
VERTEX4-256GB
15" macbook 1440x900
24" plugged into mini displayport 1920x1080
27" plugged in usb hdmi 1920x1080

I got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Plated-Premium-Adapter/..... (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Plated-Premium-Adapter/dp/B004MS0DIK) this today, it didn't seem to work without the driver...
so I downloaded the latest Mac driver

I saw the warning for Mountain Lion, awesome

Installed driver, rebooted, had to unplug and plug back in but it worked. Showed up in Display Prefs as the identified (with model info etc) 3rd monitor, works great with Arrangement tab, and made the usb 27" my main monitor by moving the top taskbar over

However,

laggy performance on usb monitor (just about bareable, but really noticeable when u have two great performance monitors either side)
sometimes mouse freezes on the screen, but I can still move it about (like taking a snapshot of just the pointer)
also I have to sometimes make something on the designated screen happen for it to "activate" , e.g. drag a window onto it, after logging in. (As it's set as my main monitor, I cant see the login screen too) - but its a BenQ monitor that does take pretty long to start up so will confirm in more tests tomorrow

but no lag on other screens
and no crashing programs (had ubuntu VM open, chrome, skype, chrome, preview, itunes, mail)

I dunno how many days I've got till I can return it, which i will do, as i didn't buy a decent second monitor for it to lag, but I hope either Apple or the developers make it work with all the known issues, and I guess general performance, before then! You can't even get Lion in the app store, which I would do, you know, just to make use of my second monitor or something stupid, so you gotta ring apple to get a special code, great, cheers for not mentioning that on your page

Save all of us a phone call, ring one of your apple cronies and work together to update the driver before they update OSX ? how do we even know that 10.8.3 will fix it? how do YOU even know that 10.8.3 will fix it? what if apple doesnt care about your hardware? i know who does care. the people buying it.

GodwinC
11-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Lag is caused by USB bandwidth limitation.. there is no way to solve it other than a hardware / port upgrade.

Hi there,

Mountain Lion 10.8.2
Mid 2009 Macbook Pro 8Gb 2.53 Core2Duo
9400M-256MB
VERTEX4-256GB
15" macbook 1440x900
24" plugged into mini displayport 1920x1080
27" plugged in usb hdmi 1920x1080

I got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Plated-Premium-Adapter/..... (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Plated-Premium-Adapter/dp/B004MS0DIK) this today, it didn't seem to work without the driver...
so I downloaded the latest Mac driver

I saw the warning for Mountain Lion, awesome

Installed driver, rebooted, had to unplug and plug back in but it worked. Showed up in Display Prefs as the identified (with model info etc) 3rd monitor, works great with Arrangement tab, and made the usb 27" my main monitor by moving the top taskbar over

However,

laggy performance on usb monitor (just about bareable, but really noticeable when u have two great performance monitors either side)
sometimes mouse freezes on the screen, but I can still move it about (like taking a snapshot of just the pointer)
also I have to sometimes make something on the designated screen happen for it to "activate" , e.g. drag a window onto it, after logging in. (As it's set as my main monitor, I cant see the login screen too) - but its a BenQ monitor that does take pretty long to start up so will confirm in more tests tomorrow

but no lag on other screens
and no crashing programs (had ubuntu VM open, chrome, skype, chrome, preview, itunes, mail)

I dunno how many days I've got till I can return it, which i will do, as i didn't buy a decent second monitor for it to lag, but I hope either Apple or the developers make it work with all the known issues, and I guess general performance, before then! You can't even get Lion in the app store, which I would do, you know, just to make use of my second monitor or something stupid, so you gotta ring apple to get a special code, great, cheers for not mentioning that on your page

Save all of us a phone call, ring one of your apple cronies and work together to update the driver before they update OSX ? how do we even know that 10.8.3 will fix it? how do YOU even know that 10.8.3 will fix it? what if apple doesnt care about your hardware? i know who does care. the people buying it.

Parch
11-11-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm still sitting here with the usb monitor adapter that I bought under the mistaken impression that it worked with mountain lion. Now that I have this $50 paperweight, I've tweeted the Displaylink twitter account multiple times and am being ignored. Anybody heard any recent updates (like within last two weeks)?

Really want this thing to work.

Wim
11-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi All

We have been looking at the login issue to try and find the root cause of this. It appears that when the login issue occurs, it leads to the application crashing (finder, Adobe flash etc), so the 2 issues look related.

We have discovered it occurs when we install our kernel extension (kext), needed to add our virtual displays. To try and work out what was causing it, we tried a basic kext, using Apple example code. However the login issue can still be reproduced with this basic extension from Apple. It happens less often, but the bug is still there. We have also found it happens on other 3rd party devices. It seems there is a timing issue with adding a kext to Mountain Lion, which exposes this login issue/applications crashing.

I know you don't care whose issue this is and just want this fixed, but there is nothing further we can do to fix this issue. We are already beating on Apple's door about this bug (Bug ID# 12533718) but have not had any follow up from Apple about the cause or a fix. If there is anyone from Apple reading this - then please follow up on this issue and see how it is affecting your users with DisplayLink devices.

Hopefully together, we can pressure Apple into fixing this now we know it is an OS issue.

Thanks

Wim

Macdaddy
11-13-2012, 05:28 AM
I had a clean install of OS X 10.8 and noticed a number of repeating issues.

New installation ran fine until installation of DisplayLink Driver v1.8.

Notable issues:
Login screen inputs invisible.
iTerm crashes.
Installation of Chrome fails (Console noted simultaneous plugin issues with FlashPlayer 10.6)
System Preferences crash upon attempting to view screensaver options.
Screen Saver initiation w/ hot corner failed.

Unexpected issue:
Using outlook to choose a file to attach to email - outlook crashes when choose file in dropdown.

Once I uninstalled displaylink. All back to normal. I can send a Console dump as requested.

I can't tell what the graphical issue pushing an otherwise ok driver to go kerplunk from the OS X 10.8 side.

Note - I"m using a Late 2011 MBP 13" w/ 2.4GHz Intel i5. 8GB RAM. 500GB SATA HDD (5400rpm). One external monitor: DVI to Thunderbolt, Second external monitor, via Kensington Adapter w/ Displaylink (now down due to uninstall of DIsplayLink 1.8 Driver).

Many thanks,
Phillip

Hello Phillip,

I had the identical symptoms you encountered. My situation was resolved by disabling the display driver in Splash Top Streamer (a remote desktop app). I'm not sure if you or anyone else in this thread is running this app, but if you are, that will do the trick.

Cheers!
Sean

chandler767
11-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Hi All

We have been looking at the login issue to try and find the root cause of this. It appears that when the login issue occurs, it leads to the application crashing (finder, Adobe flash etc), so the 2 issues look related.

We have discovered it occurs when we install our kernel extension (kext), needed to add our virtual displays. To try and work out what was causing it, we tried a basic kext, using Apple example code. However the login issue can still be reproduced with this basic extension from Apple. It happens less often, but the bug is still there. We have also found it happens on other 3rd party devices. It seems there is a timing issue with adding a kext to Mountain Lion, which exposes this login issue/applications crashing.

I know you don't care whose issue this is and just want this fixed, but there is nothing further we can do to fix this issue. We are already beating on Apple's door about this bug (Bug ID# 12533718) but have not had any follow up from Apple about the cause or a fix. If there is anyone from Apple reading this - then please follow up on this issue and see how it is affecting your users with DisplayLink devices.

Hopefully together, we can pressure Apple into fixing this now we know it is an OS issue.

Thanks

Wim

Is there anyway to disable the kext until the user logs in? If so wouldn't this fix the problem?

briangig
11-14-2012, 05:42 AM
chandler767,

I had the same thought, and was curious all day what type of workaround could get this to work. Glad to report that for the first time in a few months I have my DisplayLink device working great...

This whole problem is bizarre, because the drivers seemed to work for a month after I got it, but then started having the Finder crash issue, Login screen missing, and Flash crashing in the browser problem.

So here is what I did (this just happend, I may recreate everything later to give more details).

Install driver, reboot. Do not plug in displayport device yet (I did, but I guessed where the login button was, not sure if the results will be the same if device is not plugged in)

After login, plug in device and monitor.

Open terminal, and type:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext

Logout, Login and you should be good to go.

If this doesnt work, try (your system will probably crash/Kernel Panic):

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext

Then startup again, login and run the kextload command above, logout and login.

If you need to reboot, try unplugging the USB adapter, then rebooting or shutting down. After login plug it in.

This entire set of instructions may be as simple as: Do not boot with the device plugged in, if you can you are missing the login buttons, and can guess, just plug in device, reload kext and logout/login.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the above..it may just be my luck..this is a '12 13" MBP, 10.8.2.

Let me know how this works for everyone..very hacky and a PITA, but maybe DL can get a workaround going in the meantime.

Carlo
11-14-2012, 07:19 AM
chandler767,

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext

[...]

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the above..it may just be my luck..this is a '12 13" MBP, 10.8.2.

Let me know how this works for everyone..very hacky and a PITA, but maybe DL can get a workaround going in the meantime.

Tried to unload the kext on my vintage MBP 3.1 and got a kernel panic in com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily.

Dynamic graphics kext unloading is an old limitation in OS X, it seems to have been resolved in ML but it's evidently not reliable.
But the idea is interesting, we'll investigate further.

Cheers,
Carlo

docLocke
11-14-2012, 07:11 PM
One hidden, hard-to-find FAQ item explains that DisplayLink drivers do not run in virtual machines (like VMware, Parallels).
I guess they don't. They don't even warn you--just install, and take it all down to a BSOD.
Days and days to rebuild drive from scratch.
Thanks.
I believe J5Create.com has functioning drivers (and support USB 3.).

chandler767
11-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Hey guys,
I FINALLY found a way to fix the issue with the display link monitors! Full use and all with ML and the 10.8 driver. It requires you to use a script that I have uploaded here:
http://www.c-bit.co/resources/DisplayLink.scpt
To set it up watch this video:
http://youtu.be/XJLN3LSYtMQ

**IMPORTANT Notes:**
-Always unplug your DisplayLink monitor before turning on your computer or the bug will still occur. Only plug in after you login!
-The script may still require a password after login for some people. Type it in and hit ok.
-Sorry if the video is a tad blurry.

kaci
11-15-2012, 09:42 PM
I have 150 users currently using display link and half of them have already been upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Every user that has experienced an issue has had 7-10 crashes directly caused by the display link driver. Do we have an ETA other than sometime in Q1? I can provide as many crash reports as necessary to aid in a fix.

Unfortunately, I cannot go through Chandler767's fix with all of my users. It's fine for a one person but it's not a temp-fix for a whole office.

Parch
11-21-2012, 04:45 PM
chandler767, thanks for fixing the problem (for me at least). Display Link should give you some $$ for your time :D

chandler767
11-21-2012, 11:31 PM
chandler767, thanks for fixing the problem (for me at least). Display Link should give you some $$ for your time :D

Ha, I wish.

The_Flatline
11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm just tried briangig and chandler767's solution of the kextload and it appears to have solved the issues of Finder crashing, Login box not working and Flash crashing.

However the third screen (second external as I already have one out the mini-DisplayPort on my iMac 21.5") still isn't displaying any image and if I go to Displays in System Preferences it doesn't show anything.

The device I'm using is USB 2 HDMI from Maplin, and the product code it gives is UHD-100 U3 from running system_profiler SPUSBDataType on Terminal.

andynormancx
11-26-2012, 10:33 AM
I've fixed my Mountain Lion problems.

I've bought a 27 inch monitor and put my DisplayLink adapter in a drawer. Thanks for nothing DisplayLink :(

Couldn't wait any longer.

MyDisplayLinkDoesntWork
11-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Any fix for Projector issues?

sltyler1
12-01-2012, 04:28 AM
Hey guys,
I FINALLY found a way to fix the issue with the display link monitors! Full use and all with ML and the 10.8 driver. It requires you to use a script that I have uploaded here:
http://www.c-bit.co/resources/DisplayLink.scpt
To set it up watch this video:
http://youtu.be/XJLN3LSYtMQ

**IMPORTANT Notes:**
-Always unplug your DisplayLink monitor before turning on your computer or the bug will still occur. Only plug in after you login!
-The script may still require a password after login for some people. Type it in and hit ok.
-Sorry if the video is a tad blurry.

Hey thanks for the script and notifier application!

What language did you write the application for the notifier application in? would like to help to improve it so it can be hidden :)

chandler767
12-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Applescript.

set the alert_message to "You may now plug in your DisplayLink device."
display dialog the alert_message buttons {"OK"} default button 1
set the my_choice1 to the button returned of the result
if my_choice1 is "OK" then
end if
on quit

set the alert_message to "Unplug your DisplayLink device now."
set the my_choice to the button returned of the result
if my_choice is "OK" then
tell application "Finder"
continue quit
end tell

end if
continue quit
end quit

cmwade77
12-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Ok, so if we as a community can figure this out, shouldn't DsiplayLink be able to get a seamless solution working?

Also, is there a way to disable USB ports during the login process, then renable them automatically? If so, wouldn't this work the same as unplugging and plugging back in the device?

chandler767
12-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Ok, so if we as a community can figure this out, shouldn't DsiplayLink be able to get a seamless solution working?

Also, is there a way to disable USB ports during the login process, then renable them automatically? If so, wouldn't this work the same as unplugging and plugging back in the device?

Unfortunately its not that easy...

Wim
12-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi All

About a week ago, Apple released v10.8.3 OSX update to developers. The release notes don't mention the login issue being fixed, but we have been testing this and the Login issues seem to have "gone away".

We're wondering if this is just coincidence in our testing, as we know it is timing related, or is it fixed for anyone else on here with access to the 10.8.3 developer release?

Thanks

Wim

sltyler1
12-05-2012, 04:51 AM
Applescript.

set the alert_message to "You may now plug in your DisplayLink device."
set the my_choice1 to the button returned of the result
if my_choice1 is "OK" then
end if
on quit

set the alert_message to "Unplug your DisplayLink device now."
set the my_choice to the button returned of the result
if my_choice is "OK" then
tell application "Finder"
continue quit
end tell

end if
continue quit
end quit

thanks for that! will be doing some more testing/messing with the code this weekend to see if it's possible to integrate the script and the application.

did however get the application to hide and just run in the background except popping up and showing in the dock when the message is displayed. :)

sltyler1
12-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Hi All

About a week ago, Apple released v10.8.3 OSX update to developers. The release notes don't mention the login issue being fixed, but we have been testing this and the Login issues seem to have "gone away".

We're wondering if this is just coincidence in our testing, as we know it is timing related, or is it fixed for anyone else on here with access to the 10.8.3 developer release?

Thanks

Wim

I would, but I don't use the beta's anymore after a huge hiccup from using one of the beta's last year haha. Have you guys looked at chandler767's temporary solution? it's a simple work around and should help your techs if they don't already know the problems or how to find a solution around the current problems.

briangig
12-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Ready for this one?

I haven't used my DisplayLink adapter in a few weeks, the drivers have long been uninstalled.

This week I was having some memory problems, related to the 16GB I updated to back in Sept. I finally isolated the bad DIMM, so I am running on one 8GB. I decided to boot into single user mode to double check this one with memtest overnight (this included a fsck of the main HD).

This morning I rebooted, and I have no login screen...I guess the location and login, and my Finder is crashing, just like I had the DL drivers installed. I ran the uninstaller from my Desktop, and it said no drivers found (which was correct).

I rebooted, and the login screen was there that time. I had to leave for work, but I thought this was a very bizarre issue.

TL;DR: I had the no login/Finder crashing problem with NO DisplayLink drivers installed after I ran memtest in single user mode overnight.

kaci
12-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi All

Thanks

Wim

I am currently running 10.8.3 on my MBPR. I will use my display link driver to test.

kaci
12-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Previously I posted that I would test the theory that issues with display link manager were fixed with 10.8.3. I have crash logs every day from 12/7/12- present of display link manager crashing. If it would be helpful I can send a zip of my logs.

jpap
12-18-2012, 09:37 AM
I've installed OS X 10.8.3 (12D38) on a late-2011 13" MBP, with a DL-195 connected to a 24" 90deg rotated DVI HP display.

No random crashes after a full week. The HP display doesn't go live until after login and looks as it should.

After a really bad DisplayLink driver-support issue on 10.7, I waited several months before upgrading to 10.8 and after seeing that 10.8 was "supported" on the driver download page. (Yes, the DL driver was the only thing holding me back!)

I did not have an appreciation of the severity of the issues in KB333 until I had experienced them myself. I would recommend not saying that 10.8 is supported on the Driver Download page until a user can use the driver normally. I don't consider random crashes of Finder and other apps, caused by a OS bug or DL driver issue, as being "supported".

Glad it wasn't your bug in the end, DL, but you still fail on communication. Luckily that's something you can easily fix going forward. ;-)

jpap

Hi All

Thanks

Wim

dkn
12-28-2012, 02:02 AM
It looks like it might be a general problem in Mac OS X 10.8 with third party display drivers.

I tried out AirParrot (external display via AirPlay on Apple TV - it also sets up a display driver) - exactly the same symptoms as described here:
* no login window (managed to log in simply by entering the password blindly)
* some types of output don't show - e.g. iTunes video

This is extremely uncool - devices are only partly functional.

If DisplayLink have a workaround, by all means please publish it.

If the problem can be traced to Apple.. well, blame Apple and demand a fix.

Carlo
12-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Glad it wasn't your bug in the end, DL, but you still fail on communication. Luckily that's something you can easily fix going forward. ;-)
jpap

Dear jpap,

I personally think that this is a very sensible conclusion.
The 1.8 we shipped months and months ago is still the same and the user experience seems to be good on 10.8.3 for most people. Yet, on some platforms the 10.8.0 user experience was awful (not for everyone, I've never seen the login issue on my Mac for example).

Determining where the blame lies is not the most important thing here, even if it's not with DisplayLink.

We need to ensure that in the future solutions like ours can interoperate well with OS X. Apple already fixed at least six critical bugs in ML that affect our devices, including some USB 3 ones that the forum will never be aware of.
This shows that Apple is actively interested in improving the OS and hopefully will bring other improvements as well.

We can help as OS X developers. You can help as Mac customers by raising the issues not only here but with Apple as well, to raise awareness.

All in all, I'm optimistic. I think 2013 will be a great year for USB graphics on OS X.

Carlo

MickM
01-07-2013, 03:30 PM
With the new year upon us, is it possible to provide an estimate for the revised driver update - the constant screen flicker issue continues to a major irritant.

Carlo
01-08-2013, 09:51 AM
With the new year upon us, is it possible to provide an estimate for the revised driver update - the constant screen flicker issue continues to a major irritant.

MickM I looked at your previous posts but it's not clear to me what kind of flicker you are experiencing. Is window content or full screen flickering? Only with some applications/OS functions or always?
Any specific triggers? What Mac model do you have?

As many other Mountain Lion issues it may be an OS issue, if I were you I'd open a bug on bugreport.apple.com as well so both us and Apple are aware of it.

Regards,
Carlo

lars@lindoff.org
01-09-2013, 05:59 PM
My screen is completely black - and I can't find the monitor in Settings/monitors. Seems like the installation doesn't work in 10.8.2. Anybody else having this problem?

zappcatt
01-10-2013, 12:06 AM
I also have issues with the DisplayLink an am dissapointed in the lack of information listed on the "Works with 10.8 with these small issues" page.

I have an issue where my mouseclicks are about 1/8th of an inch off where the mouse is pointing, and windows are drawn about the same distance "off" For example, I can not see the + sign for New Tab in the Firefox browser.

I had flickering issues when playing videos before, but can not duplicate it right now, so will leave that as a "maybe Apple fixed it" mention.

I also will have the adapter not power up when I return after having the computer off for the night. I typically swap USB ports and it works fine for a bit before it happens again.

I would love to see more communication, not just buried 10 pages deep in this thread, would be willing to try beta drivers to see if they help. I just find it amazing that their has not been a single update to the driver for this device since July, over 6 months ago.

fhall1
01-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Displaylink is banking on Apple soon releasing 10.8.3 and hoping it fixes everyone's issues. My USB display has been sitting unused on the shelf for months now...

omervk
02-10-2013, 08:27 AM
The issue is the same for me as described above:

Mac OSX 10.8.2, driver v.1.8, monitor is blank and does not appear in the Displays page in Settings.

Workaround is to uninstall the driver, restart, reinstall the driver, restart.

Very unpleasant. Looking forward to a prompt reply from DisplayLink!

MikeA
02-11-2013, 06:37 AM
RE: the screen flicker issue (ghost rectangles from the edges of previously drawn + moved rectangles).

I use SwitchResX. The screen flicker doesn't occur when I set the resolution of my main display at maximum (2880 * 1800). I have only seen the screen flicker on the main display, not the DisplayLink-connected displays.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, (didn't have time to trawl through this thread). Hope it might give a clue.

Good luck guys.

MikeA
02-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Put up weekly driver updates. Then you guys can tighten the feedback loop. There seem to be plenty of people willing to test new drivers.

Is the mac driver code open source?

MickM
02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
MickM I looked at your previous posts but it's not clear to me what kind of flicker you are experiencing. Is window content or full screen flickering? Only with some applications/OS functions or always?
Any specific triggers? What Mac model do you have?

As many other Mountain Lion issues it may be an OS issue, if I were you I'd open a bug on bugreport.apple.com as well so both us and Apple are aware of it.

Regards,
Carlo

Hi Carlo,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. The screen flickering I'm am experiencing is almost entirely restricted to the Mail screen of icloud.com. Go www.icloud.com and you'll be at the screen where you can choose to enter into Mail, Calendar, Contacts etc. If you go into Mail (and only Mail, the rest are OK) then you'll see your 3 column view with all your mailboxes, message list and message contents. Just move your mouse around the screen and you'll go into a fit with all the screen flickering. In case it matters, I'm using a 15" MacBook Pro Retina running 10.8.2. I would appreciate it if anybody else could chime in and confirm this. Also, I just tried the new 2.0 alpha version and the problem is still there :-(.

Carlo
02-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Hi Carlo,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. The screen flickering I'm am experiencing is almost entirely restricted to the Mail screen of icloud.com. Go www.icloud.com and you'll be at the screen where you can choose to enter into Mail, Calendar, Contacts etc. If you go into Mail (and only Mail, the rest are OK) then you'll see your 3 column view with all your mailboxes, message list and message contents. Just move your mouse around the screen and you'll go into a fit with all the screen flickering. In case it matters, I'm using a 15" MacBook Pro Retina running 10.8.2. I would appreciate it if anybody else could chime in and confirm this. Also, I just tried the new 2.0 alpha version and the problem is still there :-(.

Hi,

I's unlikely to be an issue specific to our driver (any version), it's probably some hardware acceleration used by the browser that is not correctly supported by the OS software renderer. We'll reproduce and open our own bug on bugreporter.

Carlo

MickM
02-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks Carlo. If you are able to confirm this behavior then I would appreciate you mentioning it in this thread. Your post also gave me another idea - when I get into work (where I have a DisplayLink device connected to my MacBook Pro Retina) I'll try accessing my icloud email from another browser and see if I still get screen flickering.

MickM
02-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Well guess what - it was a Safari issue! I just tried viewing my icloud email from within Firefox and there are no screen flickers at all :-). I was on the verge of dumping Safari anyway because it crashes way too often. Now I'm a happy camper! Sorry also about a couple of my previous exasperated posts where I was kind of dry about the state of the DisplayLink driver.