PDA

View Full Version : OSX 10.8 Screen Flicker on Display Link Monitor

Packeteer
07-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Hi,

Since upgrading to OSX 10.8 (clean install) and running v1.8 of the Display Link drivers, I've noticed a couple of issues when running these applications on the Display Link monitor.

1. When running Safari and I have "Top Sites" open, the display flickers.
2. When running VMware View Client, I cannot see my remote desktop at all.

Moving either application to the main screen is fine.

I didn't experience either issue with Lion.

Any tips (if any) on what I can try? I did see a KB article about video switching, but it suggested that it was only for older OS'es so I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks.

chris.brooke
07-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi,
1. When running Safari and I have "Top Sites" open, the display flickers.

I too have this issue, It almost seems like the display is not refreshing properly as I also get it when scrolling in safari, the page tends to mess up

Duspin
07-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Mountain Lion doesn't seem to be getting along with DisplayLink 1.8. Having the same flicker problems with Top Sites.

creativecag
08-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Same flickering issues here.

Happens with Safari's Top Sites and Flash content.

While the flickering is occuring, WindowServer and DisplayLinkManag processes CPU usage both spike dramatically.

I'd be glad to record the occurrences if it would help.

Walter0132
08-01-2012, 08:49 PM
I too am seeing strange things with OS X10.8
every time I plug my 3 usb attached monitors in i have to reset the locations.. have had to do this since OS X 10.6.5. but now it's worse because now the wallpaper changes also..and the color changes and i have to reset everything-everytime i plug in my monitors. I thought things would be better with new drivers and new OS but now it's worse. Also screen flicker alot with flash and anything that is video related. never saw that in previous OS X's. I really like the Displaylink product, but things are now worse and if something can't be done to fix these issues, i might just have to switch products.

zwettemaan
08-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Just to add one more voice to the crowd: same here. I have two DisplayLink adapters connected to a MacBook Pro 17", and Safari flickers like crazy when I put one of its windows on a DisplayLink-driven monitor. No flicker on the other monitors (I have 4 screens in total: two DisplayLink, built-in laptop monitor and a Thunderbolt-port-connected monitor). Also, any Safari windows with graphical stuff (maybe Flash movies?) are not usable on the DisplayLink screens.

Packeteer
08-07-2012, 05:12 PM
It's good to know I'm not alone! :-)

Do DisplayLink devs lurk on these forums? It would be good to know if this is being looked at and how long before a new rev of the driver might be available.

twokansamm
08-07-2012, 05:56 PM
I have sent a question into the developers via the website. Hopefully they reply.

hiob
08-12-2012, 07:32 PM
same here!

Packeteer
09-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Doesn't seem to me like they're too bothered about sorting this out.

Disappointing really.

MickM
09-24-2012, 03:26 PM
All this stroboscopic display flickering is my main concern with the 1.8 driver.
For example - visit www.icloud.com - make sure you're at the login screen (i.e. logout of icloud if you're logged in). Move you're mouse around a little and enjoy your ensuing epileptic fit...

cmwade77
09-25-2012, 11:27 PM
All this stroboscopic display flickering is my main concern with the 1.8 driver.
For example - visit www.icloud.com - make sure you're at the login screen (i.e. logout of icloud if you're logged in). Move you're mouse around a little and enjoy your ensuing epileptic fit...I see no screen flicker on the login screen on icloud.com

I admit that this driver has it's share of issues, but I just don't see this one.

sandersd
12-06-2012, 12:04 AM
i have same issue. i have to keep one monitor plugged into the thunderbolt port, bypassing the display link, just to watch videos. it needs to be fixed...