PDA

View Full Version : Crashes and monitor issue

Doobywho
07-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Everything was working fine with 10.7 and then we upgraded to Mountain Lion and the issues started. We've tried reinstalling the driver several times and we've even wiped the computer and reinstalled osx a few times. Issues always start after installing the displaylink drivers.

Issues we are having:
- When the login screen appears, it appears on the 3rd monitor (displaylink monitor) but that monitor doesn't turn on until after you login so we can never actually see the login screen. we just have to type the password in and press enter. No it is not set to be the primary monitor.

- Finder crashes consistently. Anytime you try to do anything that uses finder, it crashes.

ChristianP
07-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks for your report.
Do you see the login issue at boot or after logging out from a previous session?
The Finder crash is quite weird. Could you please post the Finder crash log? The file should have name Finderxxx.crash and it should be located in the ~/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder. Thanks

Doobywho
07-27-2012, 08:13 PM
The login issue happens anytime the login screen should appear. Fresh boot from shutdown, sleep, restart, logout, etc. Will post the finder crash log in a bit when I can reinstall the driver and have my computer go crazy :)

Doobywho
07-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for your report.
Do you see the login issue at boot or after logging out from a previous session?
The Finder crash is quite weird. Could you please post the Finder crash log? The file should have name Finderxxx.crash and it should be located in the ~/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder. Thanks

Here you go.

hughfletcher
07-29-2012, 02:32 AM
Exact same issue as Doobywho.

Upgraded to Mountain Lion, used your newer 1.8 driver, now no login box...ever. Thanks to his suggestion I can still just type my pass and get in.

Once there, Finder crashes every time.

2012 13" Mac Pro.
Using the Diamond BVU195.

I never found a Finder crash log as you asked from the OP.
I did find various crash logs in /Library/Logs/CrashReporter and Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports. Attached are those.

Thanks

VA2SS
07-29-2012, 02:45 AM
Same thing here !!! If I ever been informed BEFORE upgrading that I got such trouble, I will probably wait a little longer.

Exact same issue as Doobywho.

Upgraded to Mountain Lion, used your newer 1.8 driver, now no login box...ever. Thanks to his suggestion I can still just type my pass and get in.

Once there, Finder crashes every time.

2012 13" Mac Pro.

vraopolisetti
07-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Same thing here !!! If I ever been informed BEFORE upgrading that I got such trouble, I will probably wait a little longer.

I have the same issue and had to clean install Mountain Lion twice trying to figure out what was going on with the blank login screen. V1.8 driver not only corrupts the Finder but also system preferences and iPhoto.

Both the times, I installed the latest driver from Display Link website that they claim to have been working for Mountain Lion as well. I could not even remove the driver as it was crashing the Finder again and again.

Macbook pro early 2011 13 inch.
Display adapter: BVU195

Unless some one confirms this is working on Mountain Lion, I am not going to install that driver again on the mac.

Hope Display Link will fix the driver and does some tests before they release it to the general public.

hughfletcher
07-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Jacks up watching anything in flash as well.

Despite not having Finder to uninstall the driver if you go into your Applications folder and in the DisplayLink folder you can uninstall it from there.

Hope that helps, I hate hearing people had to wipe their boxes clean and reinstall. That would suck. I would think DisplayLink will be all on this, it's pretty messed up. Be nice if I could my second monitor back up too.

longst
07-30-2012, 09:24 AM
I try to installed Mountain Lion from a clean harddisk. And install Display Link Driver right after mountain lion completely installed.

Afterward, if I reboot machine, login screen would not appear.
if I set machine to automatic log, after I log in, despite displaylinke video adapter works, some App stop working or crash, for example, Finder would be "no response" Adobe Flash player stop working, (browsers would not be able to play flash any more, I tried Safari and Chrome), event worth, Macbook regular crash to reboot.

Wish DisplayLink will fix this problem soon.

jdmueller84
07-31-2012, 08:03 AM
I am having the same problem. Everything worked fine in 10.7.3 and when i upgraded to 10.8 weird things started happening. After days of troubleshooting I found out it was the Display LInk drivers causing the problems. Finder crashing, apps not installing, dmgs not mounting/unmounting, ect are just some of the weird things that would happen.

I feel like I spent a decent amount of money on these adapters and 2 extra displays that I now cannot use. Does display link have a fix for this?

Do they even acknowledge the problem?

What the hell is going on? You have users over here spending hours and days troubleshoot your crap drivers when you should have released the 10.8 version FULLY TESTED, which you in fact did not. Also, I would like to note there is nothing on the drivers download warning us of this problem. I spent countless hours of my life troubleshooting a problem I thought to be 10.8 related and it turns out it is your crap software/drivers.

So when is this going to be fixed DisplayLink? Are you going to offer replacement hardware to people to fix this? WHEN will this be fixed???? I am starting to get really pissed off with DisplayLink. I also purchased two 14" external displays for my laptop which I haven't tested, but probably have the same issue.

WTF???? I expect more out of a company than this. If you can afford to mass product a product, you sure as hell should be able to test it properly instead of release it to your users and making us as your beta/alpha testers on YOUR hardware. Last time I checked we weren't getting any credits or refunds for troubleshooting YOUR crap product.

Fix this IMMEDIATELY.

cumic
08-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Late 2011 13" Macbook pro, using the Diamond BVU195.

Same issue with Finder, crashing every time I open it. Adium, Chrome and others also crash from time to time. In the console log there are errors about libGPUSupport.dylib and other similar libraries.

Please try to fix these issues, I'm one screen short :(

Thanks

cumic
08-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Actually, going back to the (unstable) alpha is not as bad as this "stable" release:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1538

At least Finder/Adium/Chrome/etc works, even if I have to reboot every time to properly set my screens up.

rod242
08-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Like many others I am finding the latest driver release with Mountain Lion support to cause significant instability for many applications and OSX as a whole.

Could a display link representative give an indication that they are working on the problem and that perhaps a new release is coming?

Thanks

Walter0132
08-03-2012, 06:59 PM
i too am seeing my Macbook Pro (early 2011) crashed upon opening the lid the next morning after sleeping. I uninstalled the Display link 1.8 driver and had no problems with sleep mode the next day- reinstalled it after a few days and the problem follows again. Also noticed that every time i plug the display link usb devices into the mac it creates a new Display Profile. I have 3 Display Link Monitors connected and I always have to rearrange them... and now I have to Correct the Color also! The problem got 10x worse with ML OS X 10.8 not better! Anyone else have another product they can recommend that is a little better supported? I have used with Display Link products for many years but seems they either don't care or don't want to fix their issues. Could someone from DL atleast let us know you are reading and working on this fix.. before you loose alot of customers!!!!

theallisonhome
08-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Like the others, I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with 3 BVU195 adaptors an the crashing make the system useless. I've back down to the older revision and that has helped with the crashes of the finder, safari and other apps. My concern is with the older revision, the macbook fans are on 100% of the time. The activity monitor shows them as being the top runners. When running Lion, i didn't have the fan issues so I'm worried about leaving the computer running 24 hours a day. At this point, I'm putting the unit to sleep to attend meetings because of fan noise and concern about over heating.

DisplayLink needs to do better at providing a status of the update progress. My opinion is that a well tested driver should have been prepared for this release unless DisplayLink doesn't plan to support this product any further.

Please update the community as to progress and perhaps an expected date for the new driver.

chandler767
08-04-2012, 03:25 PM
I am also having issues and reinstalled ML 3 times before I decided to check the display drivers. I hate I cant use my 2 $300 displays because the driver wasn't checked properly.

vraopolisetti
08-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Actually, going back to the (unstable) alpha is not as bad as this "stable" release:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1538

At least Finder/Adium/Chrome/etc works, even if I have to reboot every time to properly set my screens up.

This alpha version is also not working for me. It also crashes all the apps and I could not even open the pkg to uninstall it. I had to boot it in safe boot node and uninstall it.

I believe, DisplayLink does not see the true picture of what is going on with their driver. I have not seen a single assurance from the DisplayLink team so far as to whether they are trying to fix this or what.

This is a truly un-customer friendly company, I guess.

jdmueller84
08-04-2012, 10:06 PM
My two Lenovo 14" external displays ($200 each) were purchased for my Macbook Air and worked perfectly fine until I installed the new 10.8 and DisplayLink drivers.

So the total now is 2 displays on my Mac Pro, and 2 for my Macbook Air. I put up with the screen rotational issues for a long time and didn't say anything. But we are coming to a whole new level of screwing over your customers. Whatever this cost you to hire someone to fix you need to do it DisplayLink! We (your customers) have spent hundreds of dollars on your products, and others (like me) RELY on this product in order to develop and produce OUR products and services.

This is extremely disrespectful and I feel taken advantage of. As a developer I know you have had PLENTY of time to work out whatever bugs 10.8 would throw at you. There were several different releases of 10.8 as it was being developed and I don't believe for one f***ing second that you didn't have access to this.

The people on this forum ( and no disrespect meant to anyone not on the forum ) complaining about this issue on their Mac 10.8 system are not your typical users. We are software developers and graphic designers, ect. We are the people that use the computer all day, and sometimes all night to product our services and products to our customers. Generally speaking the Mac community represents users that expect more. If you offer a driver and say it works on 10.8 when we install it we expect the thing to work. But somehow you have managed to render 2 of my systems worthless and still we hear NOTHING for a solution on this.

As I watch the responses to this forum grow by the hour I can't help but think what the hell is wrong with you as a company? Do you not think you should test your own products before slapping your label on them and then saying the 10.8 driver works? Some of these people's systems are so badly screwed up with your driver that they can't even uninstall it. If your goal was to make this a virus with the purpose to cause malicious harm... I would say you have done an EXCELLENT job. I personally... will NEVER use a DisplayLink product after this and I certainly will relay my experiences to anyone I know in my industry that will listen. This is asinine that you have left so many of us like this. It would be one thing if your driver just didn't work. BUT YOUR DRIVERS ARE CRASHING OUR SYSTEMS. Who knows how many hundreds of hours your customers will spend over your inability to provide a driver that was fully tested. Seriously disappointed!!!

Insert_Coin
08-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I am having the same issues, and I'm about to try the alpha driver. Also, your login isn't popping up on the displaylink screen, which is not working, it's still where it should be, but it's invisible (not rendering). If you move your cursor around where the password field should be, it will eventually turn into the "I," signifying that the field is there ...
I'm also using a late '11 MBP 13".

Insert_Coin
08-08-2012, 03:21 PM
So, the alpha driver didn't work either. Finder still crashes, and Flash doesn't work. On a related note, if you can't get finder open, and you want to uninstall the driver from the dmg, opening finder from another application seems to work fine, so use the 'show in finder' link in your downloads in Chrome, for instance. I've also used the open file window in TextEdit. Finder seems to be having troubles loading itself natively for some reason.

hughfletcher
08-13-2012, 04:07 AM
To those reading this with the same issues, I finally got the 1.8 driver working by following the instructions on this knowledge base article (http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=318) and fixing the file permissions using the Disk Utility (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1452). Afterwards the driver works fine, Finder opens, flash works, login screen displays correctly. No probs what so ever so far.

To Displaylink, your customer service sucks. Either your forum support are not even aware what's on your site or you have clamped up to remove yourself from any liability of screwing up so many peoples system. Not the way a successful company operates either way. You could have at least posted a link to the fix.

chandler767
08-13-2012, 07:21 PM
That didn't work for me. I tried every possible way I could think of. We need a new driver.

Insert_Coin
08-21-2012, 06:14 PM
The fixing of the permissions only seems to work for each time the system starts. I was having to fix the permissions each morning before I started the computer. That's really not much of a fix.

jdmueller84
08-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Wow. Over a month with this problem and not ONE word from DisplayLink. What I find amazing is that the dev version of 10.8.1 has been in the works for several months as well. Apple is getting ready to release 10.8.2 for developers already. How is DisplayLink going to support their product if they already can't resolve this issue now?

I have been forced to backup and reload and use a copy of OSX Lion. This is a HUGE pain as I have had to remove the HD and use another one as to preserve my system until DisplayLink fixes the bugs.

The idea of this product is great. When they work they are really a genius idea. It takes your machine to a new level without much investment. However, I have now returned 2 14" Lenovo external displays as well as my Macbook Air that I used them with. I must say I am extremely disappointed with DisplayLink and I think EVERYONE with this problem should keep posting.

DisplayLink DESERVES as much negative press over this as possible. It may help them decide to release products with properly tested drivers, ect. As I said in another post... It is one thing if it just doesn't work. However, this is rendering my systems unusable and I have been forced to change my OS to Lion, and I am not able to keep my main dev machine updated properly (which is a big problem for someone trying to use the latest tools to build iOS apps, ect).

Insert_Coin
12-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I was reading another thread, one which DisplayLink is paying attention. From what I understand, the problem lies in the generic ktext that DisplayLink uses to create their display driver for OSX. I don't know specifically what the issue is, but apparently the issue belongs to Apple. The issue is supposed to be fixed in the 10.8.3 update, and I can verify this is true because I installed the 10.8.3 beta update, and my DisplayLink adapter works like a champ again! I would hope that Apple would apologize for any negative feedback that affected display manufacturers have received while their OS has had display driver issues.

cmwade77
12-17-2012, 11:15 PM
I was reading another thread, one which DisplayLink is paying attention. From what I understand, the problem lies in the generic ktext that DisplayLink uses to create their display driver for OSX. I don't know specifically what the issue is, but apparently the issue belongs to Apple. The issue is supposed to be fixed in the 10.8.3 update, and I can verify this is true because I installed the 10.8.3 beta update, and my DisplayLink adapter works like a champ again! I would hope that Apple would apologize for any negative feedback that affected display manufacturers have received while their OS has had display driver issues.

But J5Create has come up with a driver that works with 10.8.2 and lower, so obviously it's possible to work around this bug. As a result, even if the bug was caused by Apple, the fact that it's possible to work around it tells me that Displaylink needs some better customer service.