PDA

View Full Version : window content stretched on Mountain Lion

grummen
07-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Hi all,

I've just upgraded to Mountain Lion and installed the 1.8 driver, but I've encountered a problem.

The window of each app is displayed at the right size, but the content of the window is stretched out to the right like it thinks the window is larger than it actually is, cutting off roughly 20 pixels on the right. The interesting thing is that with some of the smaller buttons I have to click slightly to the left to make sure I'm clicking the right one, so things are acting like they're in the right place, just not displaying properly.

So for example if I have firefox open on that screen, buttons, URL bar, etc is all stretched to the right, and most of the vertical scroll bar disappears. Text looks weird like the screen is running at the wrong resolution (but it's not, I've checked).

Anyone have any ideas? I've re-installed the driver, rebooted several times, etc.

Thanks.

tailtwister
07-26-2012, 04:30 PM
After my Mountain Lion upgrade and subsequent driver upgrade, I found that yes, if you have the resolution as "Scaled", it may do that.

I appear to have lost a lot of resolution with this driver upgrade. I had 1920x1080 before, but the now the maximum is 1680x1050.

Seems there is a problem somewhere!

ChristianP
07-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Could you please use the debug tool here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269, collect info and post the output file? Thanks

tailtwister
07-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Here's the debug output.

downwind
08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Exactly the same problem here in case you need more debug logs.

downwind
08-13-2012, 06:14 AM
I'm running "Best for display" resolution, but still stretched like that.

forza
08-13-2012, 10:19 AM
I've got two display link connected displays, one set to scaled, the other best for display - both exhibit this behaviour.

Both display link usb devices are the same make, brand and model and both are connected to identical monitors - one display works fine as best for display, the other when set to best goes to 1280x1024 whereas native is 1600x1200 - so that one has scaled and 1600x1200 chosen.

See screenshots for example - app is Github for Mac, but others display the same problem too (e.g. Postbox compose window). Useful to note that not all apps display this behaviour (e.g. Chrome).

bhhales
08-13-2012, 08:34 PM
My issue is similar, the content is not so much stretched as that the driver is not identifying the correct resolution for the monitor. I have a Westinghouse LCM-22w3 that has an odd resolution, 1680x1050. The 1.7 version of the mac drivers seemed to work fine, but the 1.8 is locking me down at 1280x1024, scaled or best fit.

I have attached my displaylink information file.

Thanks

EDIT: to clarify, I was running the 1.7 driver on Lion; my 1.8 issue is on Mountain Lion

EDIT 2: Well, magically, I booted one day to have the displaylink software for some reason re-identify my monitor and this time it showed the correct resolution options. I have no idea why it chose this particular day to find my monitor again, but perhaps disconnecting or re-installing might help others.

stevedave
08-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Same issue as others listed above. Two of the exact same monitors Dell 2408WFP. Main monitor allows me to go to 1920x1200. However the displaylink monitor now only see's 1600x1200.

Backstory.. The 1.8 driver with Mountain Lion 10.8 was having an issue waking from sleep without crashing. I had removed that driver and stopped using the secondary external monitor. Today updated to 10.8.1 and then installed the displaylink 1.8 driver.

Not sure which is better.. the crashes or the stability but bad resolution. =)

I'd prefer to have stability and the 1920x1200 resolution again. Thanks in advance for looking into this issue.

desiac
08-24-2012, 09:56 AM
same problem here too... use to have full 1920x1200, now limited to 1680x1050.

suggestions?

thanks

stevedave
08-24-2012, 01:44 PM
I just happened to get a new drive for my system. I'm going back to 10.8 where the system will crash from waking in a sleep.

The 1.8 driver works there and you get full resolution. side affect being the crashing of coarse... I bet anything apple "fixed" something on their end. Which is who we'll be waiting for before the issue is resolved.

Carlo
08-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Please if you are having resolution issues always mention the model of the display: we might already have it or we may buy it.
I'm missing the ones from Desiac and downwind.

Cheers,
Carlo

desiac
08-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi Carlo,

I didn't realise it was a per device issue. Im using a Samsung S24A450.

I've also attached the debug output,

many thanks

desiac

forza
08-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Postbox just issued an update (3.0.5) providing, amongst other things, retina display compatibility. This update has resolved the issue of stretched/blocky fonts on the compose new message window when displayed on a display link attached panel.

It may be that only apps not updated to support retina display this behaviour?

desiac
09-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Please if you are having resolution issues always mention the model of the display: we might already have it or we may buy it.

Cheers,
Carlo

Hi Carlo,

Any news on an updated driver or possible work around?

thanks

downwind
09-03-2012, 06:43 AM

Whoops, wasn't reading up on the forums for a bit, here it is (if I managed to attach it correctly)
I have a Samsung Syncmaster SA350.

stevedave
09-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Yeah any update on this issue? I'm really looking forward to using my second monitor again.

agonzal2
09-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Same problem here.
I have an ACER x223w
Please help...

unusedusername
09-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Mine is a Dell 1907FP with a BVU195 adapter, same issue as others. Oddly, the content stretches differently in different apps.

The worst is Firefox (mouse location does not match up with location of buttons) and iMessage (text really hard to read).

desiac
09-19-2012, 03:00 AM
Hi,

Any updates?

thanks

blanka
09-25-2012, 06:31 PM
The content of some windows (Reminders.app, Messages.app) is stretched horizontally. I need to also click to the left of the buttons to make them work.

The monitor connected to the DisplayLink is a Samsung P2770HD at 1920x1080. My main monitors are an LED Cinema Display (24-inch, late 2008 at 1920x1200) and the built in 15-inch LCD display at 1680x1050. Only the samsung exhibits this stretching effect.

The Display Link driver was working fine (no stretching) before upgrading to Mountain Lion.

gkra
10-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I've got the same problem, too. Various apps have content stretched oddly.

Display is an HP LA2405wg. Worked fine on 10.7.x.

stevedave
10-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah I've moved on.. I ditched the displaylink software and box and got a apple thunderbolt display. Yes its 1k but guess what.. it works. And no need for 2 monitors anymore, and the hope that they will fix this issue. Because if they haven't fix an issue like this yet.. chances are they wont.

Good news though.. apple has this thing were you do 0 down and you get 0% apr for 12 months on stuff. So really.. out of pocket its not bad.

So sell this craptastic box they built and spend your monies elsewhere is what I say. =)

gkra
10-01-2012, 08:07 PM
If only ditching it were an option. I had to go through crazy justifications for this box (NewerTechnology's unit) because DisplayLink had at least admitted support for Mac OS X, whereas the only options from CDW didn't have any Mac support whatsoever. And work will absolutely not pay for a Thunderbolt display, which wouldn't fix the problem of having two external displays on this MBP, anyway.

I feel a little betrayed after having to deal with 6 months of justifications and procurement delays, only to have it (a) hard-lock my MBP if I switch to the Login Window while logged in (via the Fast User Switching menu), and now, post Mountain Lion upgrade, having stupid graphics and font rendering issues.

Thankfully I tend to use the secondary display primarily for text apps or apps where the primary content is text, and most of them are displaying properly (Tweetbot, Messages and Cisco Jabber for the corporate WebEx account being the notable exceptions so far.)

So, I wait patiently for DisplayLink to fix things. At least with the DisplayLink adapter, I don't need to reboot my mac every time i want to plug it in.

paulgee31
10-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Here are the log from my Digimate 24" Monitor. Firefox stretching is my biggest issue, font corruption etc.

cmwade77
10-03-2012, 08:45 PM
If only ditching it were an option. I had to go through crazy justifications for this box (NewerTechnology's unit) because DisplayLink had at least admitted support for Mac OS X, whereas the only options from CDW didn't have any Mac support whatsoever. And work will absolutely not pay for a Thunderbolt display, which wouldn't fix the problem of having two external displays on this MBP, anyway.

I feel a little betrayed after having to deal with 6 months of justifications and procurement delays, only to have it (a) hard-lock my MBP if I switch to the Login Window while logged in (via the Fast User Switching menu), and now, post Mountain Lion upgrade, having stupid graphics and font rendering issues.

Thankfully I tend to use the secondary display primarily for text apps or apps where the primary content is text, and most of them are displaying properly (Tweetbot, Messages and Cisco Jabber for the corporate WebEx account being the notable exceptions so far.)

So, I wait patiently for DisplayLink to fix things. At least with the DisplayLink adapter, I don't need to reboot my mac every time i want to plug it in.

Ditching is an option, J5Create has drivers on their facebook page that work great with OS X 10.8.2 and even work with USB 3.0, so their devices work. You can easily buy one of them and use it. Ok, now I am sounding like an advertisement for J5Create and that is not the point, I am simply pointing out that there are other options that are currently working.

desiac
10-14-2012, 03:14 AM
based on my troubleshooting, i think its a mixture of the model of mac and monitor. i have 2 of these adaptors, 2 macs both running ML. works perfectly on my 2 year old MBP but on 2 month old fully spec'd mini server at home, as soon as i upgraded to ML i lost the res. there are other working options out there (fixed my issue), hopefully there will be a fix from displaylink soon.

bhhales
10-19-2012, 06:23 PM
I updated my earlier post as well with these new findings...

This week, I booted as I normally do only to have the os seem to "forget" my settings for my Westinghouse LCM-22w3 hooked up to the display link. And now, magically, the correct resolution options are available. This was without any other change that I can think of, it just suddenly re-identified the monitor and offered the correct resolutions. Maybe the recent OS patch helped, I don't know.

So try removing and re-installing the monitor, and see if it helps for you.

mkormendy
07-22-2013, 04:49 PM
I too am having the exact issue as first posted. (There are people in this forum with different problems of resolutions not being available, and while it may be related in the overall improper work of the driver or hardware, it's not the same as the described first post and that may have been fixed elsewhere, but not the original issue).

There are a number of applications that this rendering issue happens in.

I have created a small video capture of my monitor screens (identical make/models and resolutions/settings) side by side .. (DisplayLink glitch is seen on the right):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZwExkGHwNQ

mkormendy
08-01-2013, 04:53 PM
I finally got a response back from the Technical Support staff on this issue.
Hopefully this at least lets people know where they stand.
Here is the response after I posted a video on YouTube and referenced it in a Ticket Report I filed with them:

Thanks for the video. This is not an issue with DisplayLink, as we are showing
the pixels that the OS is sending us. The DisplayLink screens are software
accelerated frame buffers, and it seems that when some applications fall back
to software rendering, they show this issue.

This bug has been raised to Apple, as it requires an OS fix. There is nothing
we can do to fix this as we are using the only OSX API available to get the
pixels.

Best regards,

Wim
DisplayLink Technical Support