PDA

View Full Version : USB 3.0 Displaylink DL-3000 series: DL-3100 / DL-3500 / DL-3900

torsions
06-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Is anybody concerned about making it work under linux.
In Win8 (don' t know about Windows RT) it will be natively supported.

thnld
08-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I am also very much interested in the development of linux support for the DL-3000 series. On the homepage it says that linux support is scheduled for the "near future". Are there any ETAs?
Will this support also include the audio out?
Will it be incorporated into the existing udl driver in the kernel?

Wim
08-17-2012, 11:07 AM
We don't have any ETAs at the moment, and still looking at the best path to do this. One issue is that the DL-3000 supports content protection and we need to ensure this remains secure under an open source environment.

Wim

knilyalpsid
08-29-2012, 08:49 AM
that's a real bad info. windows-only-world is over. there're so many work-places with macs and linux-pcs (and even some others)...

has "content-protection" anything to do with DRM?

simply drop it if you can't open it. no one really needs it, but needs possibilities to connect to more than two monitors in hi-res

unfortunately I've bought a displaylink-device with a DL-3100 (only heard, that displaylink will run with linux) for CAD on a laptop and now I'm really annoyed with a nearly useless device...

thnld
09-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the response Wim!

That is very interesting information. Could you give some more insights into the paths and plans that you consider to support the DL-3000 on linux?

Apparently Dave Airlie from Red Hat is building the infrastructure to support USB display hotplugging. It would be great if this could be used on the DL-3000!

Also, I have to agree with knilyalpsid that probably very few linux users care about content protection.

thnld

We don't have any ETAs at the moment, and still looking at the best path to do this. One issue is that the DL-3000 supports content protection and we need to ensure this remains secure under an open source environment.

Wim

gazpel
10-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Hi,

i'm also very interested in Linux support for the DL-3xxx chipsets.
Any update on the ETA jet?

regards,
gazpel

ps. +1 to the suggestion to drop content protection if that is a blocker for linux support. The possibility to connect multiple high-res displays and periphals to an ultrabook is what i need.

thnld
10-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Hi,
I was wondering, with Xorg 1.13 out, it should be rather straight forward to support the DL-3000 on linux, right?
thnld

khamer
10-30-2012, 02:48 PM
I'd also immediately benefit from this.

Lenovo is pushing the USB 3.0 ThinkPad dock, and ThinkPads are generally known for their good linux support. As it is, all the rest of the dock works perfectly out of the box except for the displaylink adapter.

Be awesome. The linux community (myself personally included) will go out our way to help.

batrick
11-01-2012, 03:31 AM
I also have a USB 3.0 Lenovo dock with DVI ports I can't use because of this driver issue. Can we get an update please?

thnld
11-01-2012, 08:50 AM
I have the Toshiba Dynadock U3. For me, only the USB hub and the ethernet works under linux, no audio and no video.

sanette
11-02-2012, 09:14 AM
I have the Targus usb 3, and same thing: USB and ethernet work, but no video
(haven't tested audio yet)

I'd be happy to help. Where should one start ?

Lingonsylt
11-02-2012, 05:41 PM
How is the progress on the driver development for USB 3.0 going?
I've spent ages searching the internets for an up to date repository with the source code for the current drivers. Does anyone know who is actively working on the linux drivers? Or who has last actively working on them and have access to the most up to date source code?
It seems there are many coders willing to help - but it's hard if we can't find the source code.

Tips anyone? The most recent code repository I found was about 1 year old.

waza-ari
11-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Hi,

i have a Toshiba Dynadock USB3.0 docking station. As of all others, Ethernet and USB Hub is working, Audio and Display not.

I just have limited coding experience, but would be happy to help (testing etc).

Is there any eta? Would really love to use the displays with my Ubuntu nativly withoud needing to emulate it via VMware or similar...

Regards
waza

rektide
11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Very anxious to have linux support for this as well. :cool: :rolleyes:

noleti
11-22-2012, 10:58 AM
I am another customer who already bought a Lenovo USB 3 dock - anticipating that DisplayLink would be supported by Ubuntu. I am very disappointed that apparently there are no plans to add support for this platform.
In particular, I feel cheated because I trusted your FAQ entry:

"Does it work with Linux?

An open source driver is available, which is now built into the Linux kernel. Linux support for DisplayLink devices is supported by the Linux community."

I should have followed the links to find a 2 years dead project...

I use Linux as a professional since 8+ years and I personally couldn't care less about DRM, as I never watch any media over the display. I would appreciate, however, being able to use my text editor and browser with my dock. Right now it is only a 200$ brick providing the same functionality as my 25$ usb-ethernet adapter.

If this is a question of money - let us know. I would donate you 100$ for a working driver right away, and I will not be the only one

Regards

Damian Ivanov
11-23-2012, 03:39 PM
I have bought a couple of the UD165 chips for personal and corporate users. I'm happy I didn't buy the Dl3XXX yet. I will buy the UD3000 from plugable I guess when you have drivers for the only sane operating system (guess you got the hint).

pythonholum
11-27-2012, 03:15 PM
I do have a work around ( I have a windows vm that I pass the usb device through ) but I can only get usb 2.x speeds on it and would LOVE to have direct support, even a rough eta would be helpful. Also an open source driver would be prefered, but even a propriatary bianary only driver for ubuntu would be at least an improvement

smertrios
12-21-2012, 11:37 PM
+1

I've been following the Pluggable site for a while, hoping to see some "official" support for Linux. I'm another biz user with 100% Linux shop...

TimInColorado
01-03-2013, 12:39 AM
I am yet another Linux user, and I picked up a Plugable USB 3.0 Laptop Docking Station...only to discover belatedly that there are no Linux drivers.

I also don't care at all whether it supports HDMI content protection. Since it's impossible to get a commercial BluRay player on Linux regardless, there's no point in worrying about supporting it on Linux at all.

So can someone please post an ETA for drivers without DRM support?

bolapara
01-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Another Linux user here who would like to use DisplayLink... Any time lines?

khamer
01-11-2013, 02:26 AM
This is the only way to get more than one external monitor on an linux ultrabook like Lenovo's X1 Carbon. Kickstarter this if you have to - this needs to happen.

winjer
01-11-2013, 07:18 AM
This is the only way to get more than one external monitor on an linux ultrabook like Lenovo's X1 Carbon. Kickstarter this if you have to - this needs to happen.

Yup, I'd pay for this.

Dan
01-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Sorry to disappoint - we can't promise USB 3.0 compatibility with linux any time soon. In the meantime, if linux OS support for hotpluggable monitors using our USB 2.0 technology gets better, it would help to incentivise USB 3.0 support!

We have many products available which should allow an X1 to have extra screens, just not USB 3.0 currently.

winjer
01-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Sorry to disappoint - we can't promise USB 3.0 compatibility with linux any time soon. In the meantime, if linux OS support for hotpluggable monitors using our USB 2.0 technology gets better, it would help to incentivise USB 3.0 support!

We have many products available which should allow an X1 to have extra screens, just not USB 3.0 currently.

Unfortunately the Lenovo USB 3.0 Hub is the thing I actually have :/

Is there anything I can to do to help?

gazpel
01-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Bummer. Your website still states that linux support for usb3 is coming 'in the near future' though (but it's been that way for more than 6 months now):

The DL-3000 series currently supports recent Windows platforms including Windows Multipoint Server 2010/2011, with support for Apple Mac OS and Linux scheduled in the near future.

My current impression is that you estimate a very low demand for a linux solution and thus do not put any resources behind it. I kind of like the Idea to use crowdfunding to solve this.

Also, did you reach out to the linux community to ask for improvements/help? With the advent of Ultrabooks with usb3.0 i acutally see some demand, especially for the road-warrior/developer type which is typically also found among linux developers.

mingy
01-16-2013, 10:11 AM
I really believe that if they'd just release the specs of the device to the world there'd be a driver in no time. My bet is that the they bought there "content protection" from a third party, which does not want it's tech disclosed (or maybe the the code's license used implementing the DRM is not GPL compatible). My prediction is that there will never be a open source drive available for that device series.

But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Bummer. Your website still states that linux support for usb3 is coming 'in the near future' though (but it's been that way for more than 6 months now):

My current impression is that you estimate a very low demand for a linux solution and thus do not put any resources behind it. I kind of like the Idea to use crowdfunding to solve this.

Also, did you reach out to the linux community to ask for improvements/help? With the advent of Ultrabooks with usb3.0 i acutally see some demand, especially for the road-warrior/developer type which is typically also found among linux developers.

rektide
01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
In the meantime, if linux OS support for hotpluggable monitors using our USB 2.0 technology gets better, it would help to incentivise USB 3.0 support!

Your USB2.0 technology it already works perfectly in many multi-seat uses, thank you very much. There's no need to improve it for many people, and it's mudslinging to tell us to work your product harder when it already does work and is enjoyed.

That said, huge amounts of work have been poured into very modern reworks, namely systemd's multiseat configuration. If that doesnt incentivize you, motivate you, I have no hope anything will. Your post seems to confirm that I ought not have any hope for DisplayLink caring about Linux or open source, and you seem unaware of the work that is being invested.

Sorry to disappoint - we can't promise USB 3.0 compatibility with linux any time soon.

You tell us to plug in more monitors, yet the only OS which supports multi-seat in a serious way you do not support, do not release any docs for, have out and out told us you are going to ignore. :eek:

Good luck to you. I- we all here- wish you cared, wish we could use your products, in a massive way no one else ever will have interest in, but you've said you don't care about us, and won't do anything to help us. :confused:
----

DisplayLink: :(

khamer
01-17-2013, 05:11 PM

What product would you recommend? I see that you list these products as certified (http://www.displaylink.com/shop/adapters), and note that none of the DL-3xxx products will work with Macs either. It also looks like both the dual monitor devices are USB 3.0 based. Are there any certified dual monitor DL-2xxx products? Any non-certified dual monitor DL-2xxx products that you're aware of?

Would DL-2xxx adapters work connected to a USB 3.0 hub - as in, for the time being, could I use any USB 3.0 hub (such as the Lenovo dock) with a DL-2xxx based adapter that supports dual monitors or (worse) two DL-2xxx adapters with one monitor each?

I'm still all for finding a way to get support for DL-3xxx for linux, but I'd certainly be happier if there's a recommended way for linux to have two external displaylink monitors off one of USB port right now.

noleti
01-18-2013, 02:28 AM

So, after I bought an USB3 Dock for my X1 based on your FAQ entry that Linux is supported, you tell me to buy another product from you? big chance - I will never trust you again, that is. Get your programmers to meet your promises you make on your website!

luiset83
01-21-2013, 10:37 PM
I recently purchased a Targus ACP71USZ and I'd also love it if Linux support was added for the DL-3xxx series! I'd also be willing to donate some $$ to make this happen.

Dan
01-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Your USB2.0 technology it already works perfectly in many multi-seat uses, thank you very much. There's no need to improve it for many people, and it's mudslinging to tell us to work your product harder when it already does work and is enjoyed.

Thanks rektide - we have worked closely with Userful and Plugable for example to help multiseat USB work well on linux. As you say USB 2.0 provides a pretty good solution here.

Sorry if you took my remark to be mudslinging.

That said, huge amounts of work have been poured into very modern reworks, namely systemd's multiseat configuration. If that doesnt incentivize you, motivate you, I have no hope anything will. Your post seems to confirm that I ought not have any hope for DisplayLink caring about Linux or open source, and you seem unaware of the work that is being invested.

You are right on the ball - multiseat on Linux is much better than the Microsoft solution.

My comments were about hotpluggable multiscreen support on Linux being a bit poor.

Good luck to you. I- we all here- wish you cared, wish we could use your products, in a massive way no one else ever will have interest in, but you've said you don't care about us, and won't do anything to help us. :confused:
----

DisplayLink: :(

Well life is complicated. We worked very hard with the USB-IF to produce the USB A/V spec, but that wasn't finished until after we'd made the USB 3.0 chip. We hope to support it with a FW update at some point in the future, but it's very hard to know when currently.

It has long been a desire to enable our ASIC designers to use the technology they are developing to have multiple USB screens on their linux desktops! Unfortunately we're not quite there yet.

I can understand your frustration.

Dan
01-24-2013, 11:01 PM
What product would you recommend? I see that you list these products as certified (http://www.displaylink.com/shop/adapters), and note that none of the DL-3xxx products will work with Macs either. It also looks like both the dual monitor devices are USB 3.0 based. Are there any certified dual monitor DL-2xxx products? Any non-certified dual monitor DL-2xxx products that you're aware of?

Would DL-2xxx adapters work connected to a USB 3.0 hub - as in, for the time being, could I use any USB 3.0 hub (such as the Lenovo dock) with a DL-2xxx based adapter that supports dual monitors or (worse) two DL-2xxx adapters with one monitor each?

I'm still all for finding a way to get support for DL-3xxx for linux, but I'd certainly be happier if there's a recommended way for linux to have two external displaylink monitors off one of USB port right now.

You can plug in as many DL-1x5 adapters as will fit on the bus (in fact we've had some embedded customers using linux plug in very large numbers). However, you may have to be creative to get hotplugging screens useful on linux (other than for multiseat).

If you check the other forums here, you'll see we've just released Alpha Mac drivers for DL-3xxx.

You can of course plug USB 2.0 devices into a USB 3.0 hub, but you won't see any performance increase.

JordanGrant
01-29-2013, 04:35 PM
I also have a Thinkpad, in part because of it's Linux support. Bought a ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock to support my peripherals at the office and am disappointed to find that it doesn't support my external monitor with built-in speakers. Does support external keyboard, mouse, gigabit network, etc.
Please make Linux support a priority.

JordanGrant
01-29-2013, 04:38 PM
I'd also immediately benefit from this.

Lenovo is pushing the USB 3.0 ThinkPad dock, and ThinkPads are generally known for their good linux support. As it is, all the rest of the dock works perfectly out of the box except for the displaylink adapter.

Be awesome. The linux community (myself personally included) will go out our way to help.
I also have a Thinkpad, in part because of it's Linux support. Bought a ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock to support my peripherals at the office and am disappointed to find that it doesn't support my external monitor with built-in speakers. Does support external keyboard, mouse, gigabit network, etc.
Please make Linux support a priority.

Wim
01-30-2013, 07:40 AM
So here's the problem.

We had exactly the same back in 2008 for our DL-1x5 chips. So we did development to enable these on Linux and released the driver into the community. This wasn't a complete solution, as there are many variants of Linux and the graphics architecture was not suited to multiple displays in the same way Windows already was. But the information and example drivers released gave all the tools needed to create a driver and a solution on Linux. If there was enough demand for DisplayLink technology on Linux, all the tools were enabled for the community to do it.

Fast forward 5 years, and DisplayLink technology and the graphics architecture issues on Linux still has issues, as this recent post (http://plugable.com/2013/01/18/fedora-18-and-displaylink-usb-2-0-graphics-adapters) from Plugable shows. It slowly gets better, but it still does not "just work" without bugs and a lot of configuration. It seems the demand on Linux is not there currently, otherwise if it was really desired, the work would have been done to improve this by the community.

As the Linux community hasn't adopted multiple displays or created "easy to use" DisplayLink drivers for the DL-1x5 chips, justifying the work we would have to do to enable DL-3xxx support on Linux is difficult. So if you want to help show there is demand for DL-3xxx Linux drivers, making drivers stable and easy to use for the DL-1x5 family and showing demand for these USB 2.0 products on Linux first would be the catalyst to get DL-3xxx family support on Linux.

Ourselves and Plugable want to see our devices working on Linux. If you want to help develop this support for the DL-1x5 and show that there would also be demand for the DL-3xxx, then Plugable and running a hardware seeding program here:

http://plugable.com/projects/plugable-open-source-hardware-samples-program

Wim

luiset83
01-30-2013, 11:14 PM
So here's the problem.

We had exactly the same back in 2008 for our DL-1x5 chips. So we did development to enable these on Linux and released the driver into the community. This wasn't a complete solution, as there are many variants of Linux and the graphics architecture was not suited to multiple displays in the same way Windows already was. But the information and example drivers released gave all the tools needed to create a driver and a solution on Linux. If there was enough demand for DisplayLink technology on Linux, all the tools were enabled for the community to do it.

Fast forward 5 years, and DisplayLink technology and the graphics architecture issues on Linux still has issues, as this recent post (http://plugable.com/2013/01/18/fedora-18-and-displaylink-usb-2-0-graphics-adapters) from Plugable shows. It slowly gets better, but it still does not "just work" without bugs and a lot of configuration. It seems the demand on Linux is not there currently, otherwise if it was really desired, the work would have been done to improve this by the community.

As the Linux community hasn't adopted multiple displays or created "easy to use" DisplayLink drivers for the DL-1x5 chips, justifying the work we would have to do to enable DL-3xxx support on Linux is difficult. So if you want to help show there is demand for DL-3xxx Linux drivers, making drivers stable and easy to use for the DL-1x5 family and showing demand for these USB 2.0 products on Linux first would be the catalyst to get DL-3xxx family support on Linux.

Ourselves and Plugable want to see our devices working on Linux. If you want to help develop this support for the DL-1x5 and show that there would also be demand for the DL-3xxx, then Plugable and running a hardware seeding program here:

Wim

I agree that the driver for the DL-1x5 chips that was released is/was limited to some extent. However, the fact that Fedora 18 has actually made these devices plug and play (Ubuntu's latest release has not yet, I don't think) is actually a good amount of progress, IMO, and I believe others would agree.

As these devices are not a critical system component, it is understandable that development lags behind drivers for other such components (integrated sound and video, for example). We certainly don't need some sort of finished and polished driver that works with every *nix system out there, but it would be ideal to have that base from which others in the open source community can improve upon!

Sadly my field is not in video processing, otherwise I would enroll in Pluggable's program. Even so, it feels like the burden is put on the community to reverse engineer a product when the developers have all the tools needed to get a decent solution out to the community to begin with...

khamer
02-04-2013, 10:18 PM
So here's the problem.

Wim

2008 was two years before the first USB 3.0 products, three years before Intel announced their push for ultrabooks and trademarked the word "ultrabook" itself. Ubuntu was only just becoming mainstream in 2007 and 2008, and the second most popular distro at the time, Fedora, did add support for the DL-1x5.

Five years later, its 2013. Companies like Lenovo are pushing ultrabooks and completely dropped availability of their USB 2.0 dock. These companies are relying on USB 3.0 and DisplayLink for parity with Thunderbolt.

Congratulations! You've got a vice-like hold on an entire workflow.

Saying "Maybe we'll support the current generation products if you go back and add better support for the products that are being end-of-life'd" is at best busy work.

noleti
02-05-2013, 02:16 AM
So here's the problem.

Wim
I understand your (very defensive) rationale. You want to get support for your driver for free from the community, without investing too much effort. You do not see the potential of embedded/thin devices running Linux, that is your choice.
But my personal problem is that you are still not stating clearly on your webpage that DL-3xxx devices will not be supported for a long time. I bought a device using your technology relying on your information on your website which said that "An open source driver is available, which is now built into the Linux kernel. Linux support for DisplayLink devices is supported by the Linux community." Given that there was very little information about the DL-3xxx chip with Linux at that time anywhere on the net, I had to rely on this.
Thus, I bought the Lenovo USB3 dock believing your FAQ statement to be true (and applying to this dock). Many people in this thread did the same. Be more honest on your website, then less people will feel scammed. Don't point towards long dead projects websites without updates. This thread is a good start - but more proactive communication would help. Posting this rationale earlier would also have helped raising interest into your issues without angering customers with bricks on their desks.

gurrier
02-08-2013, 03:38 AM
This is disappointing.

I arrived at this thread towards the end of a search for solution.

Canonical are launching an Ubuntu phone at the end of February.
To be able to dock this as a PC would be a huge boon for business.

This should be evident to DisplayLink and promises a huge opportunity.

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

Please reconsider support for linux.

69AD0EF9
02-10-2013, 09:34 PM
I understand your (very defensive) rationale. You want to get support for your driver for free from the community, without investing too much effort. You do not see the potential of embedded/thin devices running Linux, that is your choice.
But my personal problem is that you are still not stating clearly on your webpage that DL-3xxx devices will not be supported for a long time. I bought a device using your technology relying on your information on your website which said that "An open source driver is available, which is now built into the Linux kernel. Linux support for DisplayLink devices is supported by the Linux community." Given that there was very little information about the DL-3xxx chip with Linux at that time anywhere on the net, I had to rely on this.
Thus, I bought the Lenovo USB3 dock believing your FAQ statement to be true (and applying to this dock). Many people in this thread did the same. Be more honest on your website, then less people will feel scammed. Don't point towards long dead projects websites without updates. This thread is a good start - but more proactive communication would help. Posting this rationale earlier would also have helped raising interest into your issues without angering customers with bricks on their desks.

Exactly!
If possible i will return mine ASAP. Guess word will go out into the community now, that DisplayLink is officially *NOT* supporting linux....

PS: i needed like 20 attempts to comple registration - these images are completly unreadable - hope someone will write a tool soon, which can decipher these catpchas - becaue i as a human certainly can't...

frief
03-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Hi,

still no Linux support? I cannot believe it. For the USB 2.0 devices the code lives in less than only 2000 lines here:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/video/udlfb.c

Less than 2000 lines!!! With most of these lines apparently not written by DisplayLink. And DL-3xxx USB 3.0 support would likely share most of code for the previous devices!

Have the authors of udlfb.c listed on top of the file been contacted at all?

Greetings,

fbachofner
03-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Hi frief:

Have the authors of udlfb.c listed on top of the file been contacted at all?

Great idea. Doing that right now!

fbachofner
03-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Doing that right now!

I just took a moment to write to Roberto, Jaya and Bernie, the authors of the USB 2 driver for DisplayLink products as pointed out by frief above.

I linked to this thread, mentioned the growing demand and the idea that various participants in this thread thought crowdsourced funding could work. [I also offered to help in any way I can - unfortunately that does not extend to coding video drivers.]

Bernie Thompson is apparently the founder of Pluggable. Hopefully he will visit this thread and see the demand for a Linux driver for these USB 3 devices based on DisplayLink technology.

I think DisplayLink should be a little embarrassed in having tried getting more adoption of the older USB 2 devices when clearly everyone has noted the benefits of moving on to USB 3, especially given the desire for multi-monitor setups.

This issue really needs to be addressed NOW.

I will continue to vote with my dollars and my clients with theirs. Right now, everyone we advise on Linux systems is holding off on ANY DisplayLink purchase as these devices are unusable for display extending purposes.

Hopefully a solution for Linux will arrive soon!

fbachofner
03-06-2013, 07:42 AM
I just took a moment to write to Roberto, Jaya and Bernie

Bernie wrote back incredibly quickly:

On 3/5/2013 11:54 PM, Bernie Thompson wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>
> DisplayLink's USB 3.0 chips use an encrypted protocol for sending
> commands (all of which is very different from the USB 2.0 generation
> chips).
>
> A first step is DisplayLink would need to choose to open that up and
> document it. There's no way for someone outside of DisplayLink to
> embark on this effort until then.
>
> Sorry for the bad news,
> Bernie

I responded as follows:

Hi Bernie:

Thanks for the quick response!

In the previously referenced thread, Wim (of DisplayLink) alludes to the problem you cite by mentioning this is all somewhat complicated because (among other issues) "the DL-3000 supports content protection."

Dan, also of DisplayLink, later mentions "we've just released Alpha Mac drivers for DL-3xxx". Might those be of help? Based on BSD, I would assume Mac OSX is somewhat similar to Linux. On the other hand, the display elements are probably almost entirely different since they are now (I believe) based on XQuartz. Of course XQuartz is open sourced, so this may still be of significant help.

Wim suggests that DisplayLink is amenable to helping the Linux driver effort [ http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showpost.php?p=9199&postcount=35 ] if a better solution for the older devices is crafted. [Your company, Pluggable, is in fact referenced in that post as providing no cost test ("seeding") hardware for developers -- thank you! . . . I'm sorry my skill set does not apply].

I'm sure Pluggable would love better Linux support for the older series, but this backward-looking emphasis seems to fly in the face of the technology industry which continually invents a better mousetrap and quickly abandons the older one.

Any way, is there anything else I (or anyone else) might be able to do to help with this situation? [For starters, I will post this in the thread and hope it will inspire DisplayLink to open the requisite data.]

Thanks again for your interest and effort!

Felix

Hopefully something positive will come from all this.

AndyF
03-08-2013, 09:38 AM
In the previously referenced thread, Wim (of DisplayLink) alludes to the problem you cite by mentioning this is all somewhat complicated because (among other issues) "the DL-3000 supports content protection."

This is indeed true. However, it is "possible" to allow open access to the none content protection sensitive parts of the protocol without compromising the devices security. I would be more than happy to write the open source drivers free of charge but I would need access to documentation that I no longer have access to, and possibly an extremely small level of cooperation from the firmware team, whom I know well.

Andy F

crayola
03-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Hi --

I have nothing to add to the ongoing discussion, though I just thought I should signal my strong interest in USB 3.0 DisplayLink support for Linux. I almost made the mistake to order the lenovo USB 3.0 dock, under the assumption that it would work under Ubuntu; thankfully I cancelled the order after reading this thread..

benklop
03-12-2013, 04:15 PM
I take issue with the statement that DisplayLink's USB2 adapters do not work easily on Linux. In ubuntu 12.10 with the kernel updated to 3.6+ (and I assume in ubuntu 13.04 stock) running KDE, if I plug in a displaylink adapter a dialog pops up asking me if I would like ot automatically use the new display plugged in. By default it operates in clone mode, but it is quite simple to use the display preferences panel to use it to extend the desktop.

Currently to my knowledge Ubuntu is the only distro to support this, because they are using an early version of xrandr 1.4 announced here: http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2013-February/002170.html - now that this is released, any distro with current versions of the kernel, xorg, and supporting libraries will have support for using screens from multiple GPUs in the same display.

This honestly works incredibly well - I have been using it since last august, though at the time it required building and installing my own versions of unreleased software. Right now my desk has 4 displays driven off of one laptop - 2 displaylink, one vga, one dvi.

luiset83
03-14-2013, 01:14 AM
I'll just reiterate my support and interest for having the DL-3xxx devices working on Linux as well... C'mon guys it's not like anyone is going to make cheap knockoffs of your devices... even if it's not a driver, whatever documentation on the protocols would definitely help!

Per Mors Jakobsen
03-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Hi there,

I can understand manufacturers didnt do any effort in making linux drivers 5-10 years ago.. but today Linux is storming foreward as a full blown ready to use desktop.
Even Microsoft knows this, and last year they even contributed with 1% of all development on the linux kernel.
Steam has also made their platform availeble to linux .. so how come this type of producers cant see it? Be among the first and wise, and get out of the windows bubble.. when releasing a product, include drivers for win, IOS and Linux..

( sort of like when MS have to give a choice of browser... )

Thanks for an interresting product, which only lacks a use for all flavours.

/Per

jetsetwilly
03-28-2013, 03:21 PM
First post, joined this forum only to register my amazement and disappointment that ubuntu is not supported. Have just bought Lenovo's USB 3.0 dock and will be returning it immediately, citing DisplayLink's lack of Linux support as the reason. It is 2013 right? Not 1993?

tkkaisla
04-03-2013, 03:48 PM
We need linux support for DL-3000 series soon as possible. We living now year 2013 and these days linux support for this type of product is must have. I am so disapointed for DisplayLink because lack of linux support.

mikus
04-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Agreed this is disappointing as well. I only use linux, and trying to find a decent solution that doesn't have refresh issues under linux would be quite welcome. I know other users that require the same support for theirs as well professionally, but the 3.0 adapters remain unsupported.

At some point the hardware manufacturers have to look at the usefulness of the hdcp protection and admit it's thus been defeated in any number of ways to even bother with media company demands. Linux has no drm, or mostly goes against its nature to do so, but will you simply shun an entire market of even server potential?

It'd be huge to have a seamless video solution for linux over usb for desktop or even server room use for crash-cart ability. Auto-spawn x on a new display for repair ability ala vesa if needed.

I drive 6 displays seamlessly with an ati card now at home, but work is a problem with a corporate laptop that supports only 2. Two displays is a... hindrance. I'd love to use the 3.0 usb bus to add a few displays using linux there too.

It *is* 2013, and people do use linux every day now. Please implement a support team for it already. Certainly there would be eager developers available to help both community and paid services.

FunkyMonkeyMonk
04-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Hello,

While native drivers would be the ideal means of support, until this is possible would the community be able to create a wrapper like the ndiswrapper, for those of us used to working with the old broadcom chipsets. Has this option been explored? Is there anything that would prevent this? I haven't done much work with drivers but I'm willing to contribute time and code if someone more familiar with the process can help guide me.

brycenesbitt
04-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Free hardware goes a long way in the Linux community. If DisplayLink could seed some to the distribution vendors, who could in turn parcel them out to developers... that could be the right route to full Linux support.

I'd argue the USB3.0/DRM chips should be a 2nd priority, after getting all the legacy DisplayLink devices working smoothly (plug and play) on typical distributions like Ubuntu.

luiset83
04-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Free hardware goes a long way in the Linux community. If DisplayLink could seed some to the distribution vendors, who could in turn parcel them out to developers... that could be the right route to full Linux support.

I'd argue the USB3.0/DRM chips should be a 2nd priority, after getting all the legacy DisplayLink devices working smoothly (plug and play) on typical distributions like Ubuntu.

Pluggable has a seeding program that devs can apply to here:

While I have not tried it yet w/ my old DL-195 device, another poster here mentioned Fedora 18 and Ubuntu 13.04 both support Plug&Play for these older devices. I did upgrade my laptop to Ubuntu 13.04 Beta 2 a few days ago to be able to connect reliably to my university's wireless network, so I will update this post when I try it out myself.

Lautr
05-06-2013, 03:00 PM
I bought the Lenovo USB 3.0 Port Replicator together with my carbon x1, quite disappointed that there is no linux support at all for your chipset :(

Per Mors Jakobsen
05-06-2013, 06:37 PM
I was just wondering, is all this only for show?

Are nobody from displaylink screening these forums?
As far as i can see there has been no response what so ever from display link..

I find this sad.. :(

pythonholum
05-15-2013, 04:13 PM
If they are not interested in writting a linux based driver for it, We could try to get a community based open hardware solution out there? I mean if we look at something like the beaglebone black, That has a usb client port, ethernet, hdmi ( And even runs linux its self ) We could use some existing protochal ( X2Go, vnc or something like that ) and get it up and running probably and have the total hardware cost be $50, Just a thought

bachi
05-16-2013, 05:07 PM
It seems really unbelieveable that this company is not able to provide Linux drivers for its products, in 2013! About every other brand has managed that. Today even on the ISS Windows is replaced with Linux and they still are not able to solve this or are too lazy and wait for whoever could do the job for them. Wake up! Spend some bucks and see how many Linux users will gladly buy your products!

rese
05-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Dear all
reading from the posts, it looks like there is no hope to make a docking station USB 3.0 work with a laptop and Ubuntu (13.04)?

Is that really true or is there is hope that this would be solved and if yes on what timescale (best guess?)?

Thanks for any input here: I have bought two docking stations for my Dell XPS13 and it seems that I may have to return both of these to Dell...

towlie420
05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
I've tried every Google article I could find to make this work. Nothing has so far.

When I plug my displaylink into the computer dmesg shows the following output.

[ 5421.703550] usb 1-5: USB disconnect, device number 6
[ 5426.636018] usb 1-5: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci_hcd
[ 5426.769197] usb 1-5: New USB device found, idVendor=17e9, idProduct=4301
[ 5426.769201] usb 1-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 5426.769204] usb 1-5: Product: StarTech USB32DPPRO
[ 5426.769207] usb 1-5: Manufacturer: DisplayLink
[ 5426.769209] usb 1-5: SerialNumber: YUAN412130131091460369
[ 5426.770572] parse_audio_format_rates_v2(): unable to retrieve number of sample rates (clock 10)
[ 5426.770832] cannot get ctl value: req = 0x83, wValue = 0x201, wIndex = 0x0, type = 4

Is there going to be a linux driver or support soon? I bought this expecting that it would work on Linux.

Berg
05-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Same here on a K33970 I thought I was really close after the dmesg below but I'm giving up all hope now and return the device.

59.132364] usb 4-3: new SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[ 59.146428] usb 4-3: New USB device found, idVendor=2109, idProduct=0811
[ 59.146438] usb 4-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 59.146444] usb 4-3: Product: DU3200 3.0 Dock
[ 59.146448] usb 4-3: Manufacturer: Goodway
[ 59.147246] hub 4-3:1.0: USB hub found
[ 59.147553] hub 4-3:1.0: 4 ports detected
[ 59.421486] usb 4-3.1: new SuperSpeed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[ 59.432958] usb 4-3.1: New USB device found, idVendor=17e9, idProduct=430f
[ 59.432968] usb 4-3.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 59.432974] usb 4-3.1: Product: Kensington USB3.0 Video Dock
[ 59.432979] usb 4-3.1: Manufacturer: DisplayLink

elkropac
05-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Hello, any progress with support of this device?
I'm using network and usb hub. I would like to use sound. Is sound transmit also encrypted? Or is there some way to get it working?

[ 2575.572314] usb 8-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
[ 2575.665916] usb 8-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=17e9, idProduct=4307
[ 2575.665933] usb 8-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 2575.665940] usb 8-1.1: Product: USB 3.0 Dual Video Dock
[ 2575.665951] usb 8-1.1: Manufacturer: DisplayLink
[ 2575.665958] usb 8-1.1: SerialNumber: 000400110001784
[ 2575.744306] usb 8-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
[ 2575.807290] parse_audio_format_rates_v2(): unable to retrieve number of sample rates (clock 10)
[ 2575.807902] parse_audio_format_rates_v2(): unable to retrieve number of sample rates (clock 10)
[ 2575.809656] usb_audio: Warning! Unlikely big volume range (=511), cval->res is probably wrong.
[ 2575.809671] usb_audio: [14] FU [Digital In Playback Volume] ch = 6, val = -8176/0/16usb_audio: Warning! Unlikely big volume range (=511), cval->res is probably wrong.
[ 2575.811287] usb_audio: [11] FU [DisplayLink Audio Capture Volume] ch = 2, val = -8176/0/16<6>[ 2575.814885] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
[ 2575.842417] usb 8-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=1a40, idProduct=0101
[ 2575.842435] usb 8-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
[ 2575.842443] usb 8-1.4: Product: USB 2.0 Hub
[ 2575.843350] hub 8-1.4:1.0: USB hub found
[ 2575.843771] hub 8-1.4:1.0: 4 ports detected
[ 2575.859364] cdc_ether 8-1.1:1.5 eth1: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-0000:00:1d.7-1.1, CDC Ethernet Device, 00:50:b6:55:88:8b
[ 2575.860887] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
[ 2576.116187] usb 8-1.4.3: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci

miconof
05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
I've also a Targus USB3 I bought with a Dell XPS13.

What's working under Ubuntu :D :
- soud output
- network card
- usb port

What's not test :confused: :
- sound input

What's don't work :mad: :
- display(s) output(s)

Wolf
06-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Without usable DVI Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock under Linux the device is functional kaput.:mad:

mikus
06-12-2013, 02:47 AM
Is there any update on this? Will you ever bother helping producing a solution for linux?

Would DisplayLink actually like to NOT sell product to oppose draconian drm rules? Hdcp is entirely broken and useless to bother enforcing it with software, so just do so to minimal spec to pass "certification" like everyone does. It will be broken regardless, so for crying out loud help produce a driver for this device already. Hell, the community that wants to see them actually work for their linux systems would likely do it for you with some understanding of the hardware and mired chipset security.

To what extent would one of your professional driver development firms listed charge for such an effort to adapt libdlo for this chip for gods sake? Kickstarter it - you'd get funded by all the people that read off of your homepage that you offer linux support, but really do not, and are now thus screwed like myself and all these folks.

Otherwise you can just be cursed and spit upon as a vendor by said folk, simply because someone within your organization can't figure out a technical solution to a business problem. Your chipset sales profits far outweigh what it would cost to offer a software solution as a driver for linux, and you don't even realize what kind of a market it would open as a raw crtc device for other gpu's alone.

Please?

mikus
06-12-2013, 02:50 AM
By the way, remove off your faq that you support linux please. You do not.

gazpel
06-12-2013, 12:33 PM
By the way, remove off your faq that you support linux please. You do not.

THIS. Or at least clarify that it is only supported on older usb 2.0 devices and that you are not working on a solution for usb 3.0.

Maybe it's time to drop someone at the linux foundation a line about false advertising?

I'd still love to see it happen as it would broaden my choice of next laptop to a lot more ultrabooks but given the pace of this thread i'm not holding my breath and will properbly stick to a laptop with native docking support.

alepar
07-05-2013, 05:42 AM
If you check the other forums here, you'll see we've just released Alpha Mac drivers for DL-3xxx.

I guess, community needs to keep bumping this thread until you release something open sourced alpha-like for linux :rolleyes:
Hope this will give you an idea that linux support is very much desired ;)

Sonolin
07-16-2013, 06:18 AM
I am very very dissapointed that Displaylink does not support USB 3.0 under linux!

I will not be buying any products, and am advising all linux clients not to either. Thankfully I figured this out before I ordered my new laptop, because this means I won't be purchasing an X1 carbon (I was counting on usb 3.0 working).

Seems displaylink has a monopoly on the market, and just wants to secure their pockets. Very bad and I won't be buying any displaylink product until the protocol is opened up so that systems other than Windows can utilize the hardware. This includes any USB 2.0 products, or any other Pluggable/Displaylink related products.

Beaker
07-19-2013, 08:54 PM
I just tried finding linux drivers, now considering returning my two displaylink docks

displaylinklinux
07-22-2013, 06:45 PM
I please make the ThinkPad USB 3.0 video stuff work in linux.

acassis
07-24-2013, 11:30 PM
I can believe that Linux, the operational system with support for more devices out-of-the-box, doesn't have support to new DisplayLink chips.

I want to use a DisplayLink USB dongle to interface with external high resolution monitor.

Please add support for Linux!

damienjoldersma
07-29-2013, 08:55 PM
I please make the ThinkPad USB 3.0 video stuff work in linux.

I'd like to second all of this and put in my vote for Linux support :)

Beaker
07-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Dan, is there any update, now that its 8 months later?

Is there a plan for drivers this year?

crayola
08-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Pretty much every week now, I come back to check this page.

Not sure anymore what I am hoping for. Initially, I was optimistic that within month some sort of solution could be found. Now, even some sort of encouraging acknowledgement from the DisplayLink guys (even a 'hang in there, we are aware of your legitimate expectations and are working on it') has become, apparently, too much to ask for. Linux is dead to DisplayLink, and DisplayLink is dead to me. Unless a spectacular apology comes really, really soon, I will only ever buy a DisplayLink product again if there is really no other choice, and I will never recommend DisplayLink to anyone.

Beaker
08-05-2013, 04:09 PM
its been over a year that I've been wanting this to work

any ETA or glimmer of hope would be nice

even a "we have no plan" would be respectful

seanmccully
08-17-2013, 06:52 AM
So if what I am hearing there is no support for USB 3.0 Displaylink drivers for USB Displays.

ngner
08-20-2013, 06:04 AM
We have an organisation running several thousand of these (as OEM docking stations) and a significant group are now using linux on the associated laptops. Because of which they are asking us to provide alternate hardware to enable them to work.

shadowbq
08-26-2013, 03:49 PM
+1
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

medobear
08-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Please add support for Linux!

ThePhi
09-01-2013, 02:49 PM
+1
I'm very disappointed! I've bought an AOC E1659Fwu USB monitor expecting linux support as it worked with the previous USB 2.0 model.
Please provide a solution! :(

Beaker
09-04-2013, 06:58 PM
its now September 2013 : (

sure wish I could use this USB 3 displaylink device i have sitting here un-powered

gazpel
09-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Threeaaad, happy birthday too you.

Still checking back here periodically to see if things have changed. Looks like they did not. :/

spamalam
09-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Registered just to prod this thread, this is rather disappointing to see a lack of foresight on supporting linux/mac at launch, but after a year with absolutely zero progress its all a bit shameful.

Any news?

linux_desktop_user
09-10-2013, 11:06 AM
I am another Linux desktop user who is disappointed that the newer USB 3.0 products do not work with Linux.

As I understand it from posts by DisplayLink staff on this forum, there are two problems here:
1. DisplayLink are of the opinion that there is insufficient demand for a Linux driver to justify DisplayLink's software development costs incurred in creating one; and
2. The USB 3.0 products use some sort of encryption scheme intended to prevent copyright violation, and DisplayLink are concerned that release of source code able to drive their USB 3.0 products (or specifications of the wire protocol used) would permit people to break this in some way, and thus be able to violate copyrights.

Could someone from DisplayLink please confirm the above, or correct my understand if I'm wrong?

I would have thought that the number of posts here would cause DisplayLink to change their mind regarding demand.

In any case, problem number one above does not need to be solved - DisplayLink do not need to write a Linux driver. There are many competent C programmers (and I am one of them) who could write such a driver, if specifications were available.
This brings us on to the second problem, the undocumented encryption scheme used.

I would just like to confirm: so the only thing preventing the copyright infringers of this world from using DisplayLink's products to aid their activities is the security by obscurity gained by not releasing source or specifications for the USB 3.0 devices, is that the case?

If not, then there exist additional effective protections, so specifications (or even driver source) should be released, so that we in the community can develop drivers ourselves.

If so, then we in the community need to get going breaking the encryption used, so that we can then write working drivers.

Of course, in the latter scenario, it would be rather sad for the content industry if, in their attempt to force DisplayLink to protect their content, they in fact multiplied many-fold the number of skilled people attempting to break the protection scheme.
How ironic that instead of fighting only the copyright-infringers, they would have to fight those copyright-infringers *and* people like me who just want this hardware to work with Free drivers.

This reminds me of the DVD story, where due to the 'protection' afforded by CSS, in order merely to play DVDs under Linux, it was necessary to break CSS entirely, and then Jon's DeCSS code got integrated into the DVD-copyer programs, and the rest (as they say) is history.

Is this a repeat of the same silly story? Please tell me it's not.

divioseo
09-10-2013, 04:28 PM
I have also buyed an AOC E1659Fwu usb monitor thinking it was ok on linux ...

Additional display are heavily used by linux users, thats non sense to not provide a driver for it !

Please do something for us.

Zizounnette
09-10-2013, 04:37 PM
plz need it too.
Awaiting for 3 month now.

Give us at least some hope and an ETA !

playmobitch
09-10-2013, 04:50 PM
WHAT ??!?!?? No Linux Support ?!??

no mac support, why not, who cares? but no Linux support is a total nonsense.

dclarke
09-11-2013, 12:20 AM
I agree with the rest of the forum posts... lack of basic Linux support in 2013 is really lame and with business targeted laptops now relying on this tech for their docking stations it is no longer an annoyance it is a real problem.

I've been watching this thread since the start (1 year now) and I thought by now we'd surely have basic support. Just wanted to voice my discontent with the lack of support and lack of communication.

Beaker
09-12-2013, 05:53 PM
coming up on my deadline to return my displaylink device, i think i'll just return it and wait a year or two until there's a product available for usb 3 on linux

sandule
09-13-2013, 07:16 AM
I joined just to post this.

I purchased my USB 3.0 docking station just because it said it had Linux support. I have been trying to solve this myself for a while now and now I can't return my product because the 7 day grace period is up. I have also been told that DisplayLink's false advertising is not enough for them to return my product and that I should take it up with DisplayLink. I say it is time for a class action lawsuit for false advertising.

It is companies like DisplayLink that give Linux in general a bad name as people think this limitation is an OS limitation.

sandule
09-13-2013, 07:29 AM
I have written to a popular technology news source about the issue and that they should make this very public knowledge to discourage people buying USB 3.0 DisplayLink products.

Hopefully this will be brought to the public eye and it will force DisplayLink to get off of their lazy asses.

Lope
09-13-2013, 08:28 AM
We need to get the word out that Displaylink are as bad as Nvidia. They only pretend to be linux friendly. Its fake. They actively try to prevent developers from figuring out how their devices work.
Look how many years we have been without drivers and see what the Displaylink hackers (who are really responsible for creating the linux drivers available today, that still don't support most devices properly) have to say.
http://displaylinklinuxdriver.wordpress.com

Displaylink have never created a linux driver of their own accord. They released a piece of junk calling it 'open source' that still contains closed source blobs. They even still tried to encrypt it. When hackers had already figured all that stuff out. Displaylink did not help with any of the challenges that still remain.

Displaylink's approach won't change until the situation changes.
The community needs to actively get involved and tell people about Displaylink's real nature. And boycott their products until they open up their specifications to allow linux support.

ThePhi
09-17-2013, 10:25 AM
I've seen this portal to post crowdfunded projects of development,
Are there some motivated programers who would be interested in trying to develop an application for all the people dying to see their USB 3.0 working with Linux? :)
I'm sure the total amount of money assembled here could be quite high! ;)

http://funding.openinitiative.com/

mnemonic
09-20-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm very disappointed. I've spent 4 days trying to configure displaylink on linux to extend my desktop on Ubuntu 13.04.
No way.

I'll never buy a DisplayLink product anymore, until I see a decent Linux driver for my DL-195.

michaelmitchell
10-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Registering my disappointment for lack of USB3.0 support in Linux, 80% of people I know who use multiple displays are Linux users as average Joe windows user usually has very little use for a second display, software developers like myself on the other hand will use as many as they can get their hands on.

I would love to use a portable USB monitor with DisplayLink but until there is Linux support it is not an option.

I would be willing to pay for this, why not start a crowd funding and see what result you get?

But do it soon please.

genfish
10-28-2013, 09:08 AM
I would also like to register interest in support for this. Could it be devloped without HDMI DRM support for now? :)

ctw
10-29-2013, 10:43 PM
I bought the USB docking station under the impression that I could use it with an external display under Linux. Am very disappointed in Displaylink ... please fix this!

xork
11-08-2013, 03:50 AM
Very sad.. checking in on this issue after I received a dock through work 5 months ago. All this because according to DisplayLink, they need to ensure content protection remains secure under an open source environment. To hell with the greed and DRM! If someone were to crowdsource a solution, I would throw my money at it.

soustaji
11-08-2013, 05:38 PM
come on this can't be true. make this work! we don't care for useless content protection or any political reasons. we paid for a product that we can't use - some of us, like me, not at all! i am a linux only user and bought a useless piece of plastic and silicon. how against your customers is that? i will have to plug/unplug dozens of cables because my dock is totally useless to me. i'll send it back!

kwutchak
11-12-2013, 02:37 PM
... One issue is that the DL-3000 supports content protection and we need to ensure this remains secure under an open source environment.
Wim

I'd hazard a guess that not many Linux enthusiasts would be overly concerned at losing a data path that secures the interests of companies that didn't pay for your hardware (in contrast to the Linux user who did buy it).

Is it possible to provide open source drivers that allow us to display X (as I do on your USB 2 chipset). I know that I don't care at all that the data path for my X display is secure from, well, me.

paulbarker
12-01-2013, 01:06 PM
I was planning to buy a Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock for my laptop (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/0A33970/460/EB6CE8241B8A47E18EBAF06F8726DA3E). I now shan't be doing as it doesn't look like it will have Linux support any time soon. This is very disappointing and DisplayLink have just cost their customer, Lenovo, a sale.

phainuna
12-08-2013, 11:48 AM
@paulbarker: Hold back from that one. I fell into the trap...

jtheoof
12-08-2013, 04:45 PM
After checking this thread for a weeks, I, too, decided to register to the forum only to display my disappointment with the lack of Linux support. We will soon be joining 2014 and not supporting Linux these days really feels unprofessional, especially when DisplayLink falsy advertises for Linux support.

Please, listen to the community and bring us the means to use your devices under our favorite OS.

Darrenm
12-09-2013, 11:53 AM
For what it's worth - I'm another pleading for Linux support.

DisplayLink depend on a vibrant PC market and I am holding off buying a new laptop because of this one issue. It sounds like I'm not the only one.

I might even have to buy a Mac.

walkeer
12-11-2013, 12:08 PM
I am very unhappy that there is no linux support for my USB 3.0 docking station from Lenovo, the more that there is support for Mac, which I guess is quite simmilar to linux.

khamer
12-14-2013, 01:44 PM
I've started a petition on change.org (https://www.change.org/petitions/displaylink-support-linux-with-dl-3000-series-chips) for this.

Bert Rolston
01-07-2014, 10:19 PM
I bought a 3XXX series so that I could replace laptops without have to get a new docking station each time.
:(

Disappointed that DisplayLink won't support the 3xxx series in Linux because of DRM, which only stops honest people from using their computers effectively. :mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(

Let's face it, the real crooks will ALWAYS find a way to circumvent protection.:p:p:p:p:p:p

I won't be recommending this product to ANY of my customers.:eek::p

arthur.lutz
01-09-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm the same case, and would like to use this for work (and some collegues too). I can assure you that if this issue was resolved, we'd buy some more docks. DisplayLink please hear us out and provide a Linux solution for this problem.

Am using Ubuntu 13.10...

Stonie
01-17-2014, 11:28 PM
Loose the narrow view display link... what about the ~2 million RaspberryPi boards in circulation? digital signage? - yes you are foolish at best.

Hey Display link, Here is your chance to be part of the future... If you choose to ignore the Linux community we will find another way that does not include you. We always do. You can count on our determination and perseverance. Please choose to be part of the solution.

Sign the petition:
https://www.change.org/petitions/displaylink-support-linux-with-dl-3000-series-chips

Harold
02-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Another subscriber just to express my disappointment in DisplayLink and the immense power of the content industry. :mad:

khamer
02-28-2014, 04:07 PM
The petition passed 250 signatures. That's 250 customers who were affected, found the petition and took the time to sign it in ~2 months.

JordanGrant
03-01-2014, 11:43 PM
I also have a USB 3.0 Lenovo dock with DVI ports I can't use because of this driver issue. Can we get an update please?

I have the Lenovo dock as well. Ethernet, and USB connections work, sound and video don't. :( It's now a year later. Any progress?

kempe
03-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Any news on this? I just got a device and just took for granted that it would work but apparently not

disappointed_customer
03-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Just created an account to express my frustration and disappointment for having bought the Lenovo USB 3.0 dock and finding out that there was no linux support for it.

I really hope that the DisplayLink people will change their mind...

joncamfield
04-01-2014, 07:24 PM
This is not only blocking me from buying docking stations for my team, but also it is changing my laptop purchasing. It's really a shame for the leading-edge laptops that have moved to USB3 port replication models.

Beaker
04-02-2014, 11:46 PM
checking back after months, sad to see this is still not fixed

shame on you DisplayLink

mikus
04-05-2014, 11:52 AM
I checked back again to see if there's been any progress, and of course not.

Really, you need to get over the whole content protection racket - it was defeated before it started. Do the world a favor and tell the media cartels that it's not worth the effort on your behalf, and display the damn video anyway. The only thing you are hurting is your sales, as I have already refused solutions in a company because the useless usb3.0 docks weren't supported for me (a full-time linux desktop user).

We now consider linux a viable, in-use desktop in our corporation (of ~3500 people), and were considering support aspects of usb3 docks (with this forsaken chipset), which sadly rules out many vendor solutions like Lenovo that push them as a "solution". Your customers need made aware of a distinct lack of support on your part for essentially all future chipsets under linux until you move beyond this ridiculous stigma of content protection being something useful to you and/or the end users.

Check usenet or pirate bay, you're really not stopping anything, you're just obviating your platform, and consequently hurting your upstream customers from consideration for purchase and adoption.

brusserius
04-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Stinks like "yet another marriage with Bingosoft (read Microsoft)". I was always interested how the European Commission can be involved in something like that. This time have a clear reason/case so will ask friends around how to file some anti-competition case.

luiset83
04-17-2014, 09:52 PM
The reality is that as newer laptops come with DisplayPort, sometimes in addition to HDMI and/or VGA, docking stations based on this technology will become a thing of the past.

See for example:
http://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

In the meantime, yes, DisplayLink is shooting themselves in the foot not supporting Linux OS's....

Cedric
04-21-2014, 07:15 PM
I do not understand why DisplayLink does not develop a bit more than Mac in order to bring to Ubuntu users a functional device ! Today you must consider Windows, Mac dans Ubuntu as worldwide OS.

I bought a Dell XPS 13 certified by Canonical for Ubuntu OS use. Dell told me when I was ordering there were not any problem of compatibility with your D 3000. It cost me 150 € ! Finally it sleeps in my office waiting for your team to bring a simple linux support....:mad:

+1000 for linux support !!!!

David Raymond
05-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Like many others, I want to be able to use a docking station with Linux. Please bring this up the priority list!

Others - please keep signing the petition on change.org (https://www.change.org/petitions/displaylink-support-linux-with-dl-3000-series-chips)

nanoop13
05-31-2014, 02:37 PM
Hi DL,

Now I am not saying that you are completely useless, but releasing display link drivers for USB 3.0 on Linux ain't your piece of cake.

Now I am not saying that you have incompetent developers or your Business Strategy team sucks, but releasing display link drivers for USB 3.0 on Linux ain't your piece of cake.

And also I am not saying that you will be ever be satisfied licking Microsoft because Satya Nadella & other folks at Microsoft enjoy it very much and they won't let you explore other world of possibilities.

Can't wait for the day when Google takes over Microsoft in OS business( Just like Android took over IOS ) and The Great Google OS does not support display link in either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0. Well then, since your lazy employees will be jobless, you can get them recruited at Microsoft.

You want to become "Android" by being consumer friendly or some deprecated thing of the past?

Sorry if I intentionally or unintentionally did hurt your feelings, but if you can not deliver to people buying your products, nothing about you should be taken care of.

khamer
06-11-2014, 06:00 PM
The petition has now reached 600 signatures in ~5 months (https://www.change.org/petitions/displaylink-support-linux-with-dl-3000-series-chips).

Let's be civil, this is a negligent company decision, not the fault of the engineers in here. DisplayLink doesn't believe there's sufficient interest to make it worth their while to support linux, and we're trying to establish that they're wrong.

DisplayPort is nice but most laptops and ultrabooks only have one DisplayPort port, and would rely on USB3.0 to power a second external monitor.

I got rid of the $200 Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock I had purchased, because it didn't make sense to continue waiting without any indication from DisplayLink if they're ever going to resolve this.

DisplayLink, what would it take to establish sufficient interest to at least work with the open source community to get DL-3000 series drivers under way?

David Raymond
07-16-2014, 11:23 AM
The reality is that as newer laptops come with DisplayPort, sometimes in addition to HDMI and/or VGA, docking stations based on this technology will become a thing of the past.

See for example:
http://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

In the meantime, yes, DisplayLink is shooting themselves in the foot not supporting Linux OS's....

I would still want a docking station even with DisplayPort - I'd like to connect all my peripherals, including monitors, with a single USB 3.0 connection to make docking and undocking quick and easy.

The petition now over 700 signatures (https://www.change.org/petitions/displaylink-support-linux-with-dl-3000-series-chips) - interesting that no-one from DisplayLink as commented on this thread for a long time. Is anyone there?

surjio
07-22-2014, 04:59 PM
The best incentive we can all offer this rubbish company is to vote with our wallets and buy other machines which have proper docking connectors. With a bit of luck they'll go out of business and the good companies will survive.

Blastyr
08-01-2014, 01:35 AM
I could apologize in advance for the hostility that will probably come across in the tone of this post, but it wouldn't be sincere. It is clear to me that DisplayLink has no concern for the exploding demographic of users who run Linux, and therefore I'm not concerned with being polite. I will, however, keep my language in check, as I'd prefer it read rather than deleted.

I switched to Linux as my primary OS in 2008, and I've never looked back. Over time, I've been extricating myself from Windows entirely. It's no longer installed as a host OS (not even dual-boot) on any of my machines, and if I didn't need to test on multiple platforms (I'm a developer), I wouldn't even keep it around in a VM. It is (sans the testing bit) wholly unnecessary for anything I do - work or play. I have Steam with an ever-growing library of games (not to mention the games that are just plain native [thanks, Humble Bundle]), a web browser, LibreOffice for those trying times when I have to interact with someone living in the past, my entire toolchain for work, teleconferencing with Google Hangouts...and multiple displays.

[...] As the Linux community hasn't adopted multiple displays [...]

What planet do you live on? I and three of my coworkers use Linux all day at work with three displays each. Two on Debian using Gnome, one on Ubuntu using Unity, and myself on Linux Mint using Cinnamon. In all cases, hotplugging these displays and configuring them took literally seconds. I know many dozens of others that use Linux, and the overwhelming majority of them do so with more than one display (six, in one case). So, when you state that Linux users don't use multiple displays, you're either being blatantly ignorant or deliberately untruthful. In either case, you should just shut up.

[...] or created "easy to use" DisplayLink drivers for the DL-1x5 chips, justifying the work we would have to do to enable DL-3xxx support on Linux is difficult. So if you want to help show there is demand for DL-3xxx Linux drivers, making drivers stable and easy to use for the DL-1x5 family and showing demand for these USB 2.0 products on Linux first would be the catalyst to get DL-3xxx family support on Linux. [...]

This is absolutely the most backwards way of thinking I've ever heard. Open-source is not about getting other people to write your code for you, but I suspect you know that and are just trying to get the community to do it for you anyway. I'm gonna go ahead and point out that it's very likely that the reason there's so little interest in Linux support for the DL-3xxx series is precisely because there's no support. Your product doesn't do anything compelling to make us want to use it because when we plug it in, it literally doesn't do anything compelling (or at all). You've proven you don't care to support us, so we've moved on.

I'll be physically breaking this waste of $100 to vent some of my anger, and then disposing of it. Goodbye, and good riddance.

thnld
08-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Hi,
this video shows how Chrome OS supports displaylink apparently quite well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW0QNcr6aJ0
Chrome OS is linux based. This indicates that there is some working implementation.
Please,
explain this.
Please,
make this code available on both Chrome OS and other linux flavours.
Thanks

raoulbhatia
08-12-2014, 12:34 PM
So, while DisplayLink is deciding on that matter,
which other product, maybe from a different company, should we use to connect two (or even more) monitors to our laptops?

I have purchased a Lenovo ThinPad Dock 3.0 for my Lenovo X1 Carbon,
but as i require Linux for my daily work, this does not work out...

yochaigal
08-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Just adding my 2 cents to this thread - I have a Carbon X1 (2nd gen) and I also purchased a Displaylink port replicator/dock from lenovo.
I am able to use multimonitors in Windows without issue; but not with Linux.

Why DisplayLink, why do you hate me? I'll happily never purchase a computer that uses your product again after this experience - and that includes for my clients (IT consultant for large companies). So, say goodbye to that sort of business, at least.

vevmesteren
08-22-2014, 06:46 PM
I manage a team of developers as well as Security and DevOps. Bought a new Dell Sputnik for everyone of them. A couple of us bought ourselves the DELL dock in addition. Having the Terminal on 23inches is just so much nicer. Now finding ourselves with a glorified USB hub.

What a dissapointment....

David Raymond
08-23-2014, 07:11 PM
On their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/DisplayLink.social) they stated on 10th June "Afraid there are currently no plans for desktop linux drivers". I suggest people flood that page with complaints!

gilrim
10-03-2014, 10:25 PM
I'd be willing to chip in for a reverse engineering attempt, anyone know where to start something like that?

FourFire
10-05-2014, 11:16 AM
You could look through the website of this person who was already reverse engineering the devices, but dropped off the map; http://floe.butterbrot.org/displaylink/doku.php And this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci8HbCRRZvM

Good luck!
I wish I could contribute, as I also have an ASUS MB168b+ which is pretty much useless to me except as a laptable.

jamesT
12-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Disappointed that there is no linux support. Will not be purchasing or recommending DisplayLink products. period.

FerdiFuchs
12-18-2014, 02:44 PM
I'm also very disappointed that there is no linux support.
Without docking, the t440s seems useless for me!
Except a 200-Euro-USB3 HUB with integrated ethernet! wow!

Gave all the hardware for return today and claiming for refund. Lookin for other manufacturers than displaylink and lenovo.

Greets,
FerdiFuchs

--
keywords for preventing further mispurchases:
usb3 dock no linux support thinkpad displaylink docking usb no drivers professional hardware for nonprofessional use and users

banderson5586
12-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Haven't read all of the comments but here is my +1 for this being supported. It's been years since the first request for this has come in and people are still requesting. I find it odd that something like this, with constant customer visibility, has not been addressed. Admittedly, I have only done small amounts of research into whether or not this is possible yet but it is looking grim.

With companies like Dell releasing "Devloper" model laptops such as the XPS 13 (I purchased the XPS 12, basically the same thing but I can boot into Android so it doubles as a tablet) which natively support Ubuntu, how can this still be a question of demand? The day DsiplayLink 3.0 equipped docks support Ubuntu I will buy 2, until then I'll manage with Synergy and one small display.

uter
12-26-2014, 08:07 AM
I really like the displaydriver driver in the windows world & don't get it why there is no linux alternative :( Hopefuly there will be one in the near future. It's the most debated thread in this forum and there is even a petition that ran quite successful. @DisplayLink please don't ignore the linux world any longer. For me is a closed driver also ok on the linux world, like the graphic card drivers...

AmigoNico
12-28-2014, 10:45 AM
The ability to drive an additional monitor over USB 3.0 was the only thing keeping me on Windows. But Linux in a VM on a Windows host has proven painful enough that I'm giving up -- I just want Linux, not Windows.

DisplayLink, if you ever get your act together on Linux, then we'll meet again.

banderson5586
12-29-2014, 08:14 PM
I am in contact with Dell. (I'm assuming) They are one of DisplayLinks larger customers and right now DisplayLink is hurting their customer experience and revenues. Hopefully they can get traction where we cannot. I will not stop pressing the issue with Dell until they confirm a Dell representative has reached out to DisplayLink.

banderson5586
12-29-2014, 09:13 PM
I read a comment by Wim from a couple years back stating that HDCP was one of the reasons an open source implementation is not supported. Is that the issue that is keeping this from being developed?

billq
12-30-2014, 10:13 PM
This thread started June, 2012, and is 15 pages long.

My employer uses Linux desktops extensively for all engineers and programmers, and would love to be able to support DisplayLink on USB 3.0 docks. That's roughly 2000 desktops.

What does it take for some folks to realize that the Linux desktop is viable and in use?

chralph
01-07-2015, 09:40 AM
We have just purchased the Dell Displaylink DL3100 to go with our dell xps 13 laptops and obviously it does not work with linux. Does anyone know of any work arounds or any other docking stations that can be bought that will work with this kit?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chralph

LaurentG
01-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Hi,

I have a new Inspiron 7000 and they is now Ethernet Connector on this Slim laptop ! It is very enoying, I am obliged to use a Docking Station that doesn't work on Linux :(

I'm also very interested in Linux support for the DL-3xxx chipsets.
Any update on the ETA jet?

Someone knows any other solution ?

regards,
Laurent

LaurentG
01-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Hi,

Finaly, a simple USB to Ethenet (TrendNet) allows me Laptop (Linux OS, Ubuntu Gnome) to have Ethernet connection. And the Second Screen is done by laptop HDMI output.

So don't need DisplayLink product anymore for me, sorry...

Regards,
Laurent

banderson5586
01-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Display Link is most likely ignoring this thread as well as Facebook posts about a Linux driver.

Rather than posting and getting ignored by Display Link I suggest everyone on this thread reach out to their hardware manufacturer and don't stop until they raise the issue with Display Link.

I am still working my way through the trenches that is Dell customer support but I have no need for Belkin, Targus or Lenovo products so I suggest someone else who would purchase those products (or any other) reach out and do the same thing I am doing with Dell.

notmy1realname
01-23-2015, 03:12 AM
I echo the disappointment that is evident throughout this thread.

How could I help support the support of DL-3xxx chipsets for Linux?

Also, here's the most relevant report I was able to find regarding similar requests from the community:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1376771

I can't program, but I'd be happy to support financially.

Thanks!

blu_oreo
02-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Having the same issue, just bought a DA100 for my DELL XPS and using a Ubuntu linux and need to use the features of the adapter especially network and VGA....any news on the topic?
Would really appreaciate help in solving the issue.

blu_oreo
02-05-2015, 08:04 AM
I know there should be some official support from DisplayLink, but as a matter of fact there isn't yet.
I guess most of the people writing in this post have some form of programming knowledge. Can't we organize in some way to make it our own? Let's build from the bottom up this driver we all want and need!!

Looking forward to you reactions.

PS: I don't know where to start otherwise I would already be busy with that! :-)

jerry_to
02-05-2015, 12:44 PM
I just came back from FOSDEM '15 and heard that there are some activity with DL USB 3.0. Dave Airlie (Red Hat) is attempting to figure out a new protocol.

http://airlied.livejournal.com/
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/dl3dev/

Smiley0455
02-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Bought Dell XPS 13 2015 model, installed Ubuntu 14.04 with minor mods. Fantastic computer, recommend. Gladly to myself found this thread with all discussions relating to absence of Linux driver before I bought the computer.

I did not buy Dell USB 3.0 docking station as an accessorry. I voted and acted with my money. "Shame on you" approach seem not to work with DisplayLink.

tivoni
02-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Another verbose +1:

I run Linux as my embedded and web development environment. Was about to buy one of those cute usb 3.0 docking stations, because it's exactly what I need. Then I found out about this fiasco, the fact that DisplayLink chips do not support Linux intentionally (for whatever reasons, I don't care). Big thumbs down. Not going to buy a docking station until Linux is supported.

I hope DisplayLink or a competitor supports Linux soon.

To DisplayLink reps:
It's time to accept it, Linux is real and there are users who expect product support. Don't tell us why it can't work. We couldn't care less. Make it work so we can focus on the next big thing.
Thank you.

gilrim
02-11-2015, 01:46 PM
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/dl3dev/
http://airlied.livejournal.com/
https://plus.google.com/104877287288155269055/posts/PQ6adATfcyT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6301tGNs9Dc#t=2595
"I've wasted a few months on that lately, just because I don't like them" :/

"So for some reason I decided to look at the displaylink usb3 adaptors today. (no good news).
This blog post is so I don't forget all of this when I page it out. Notes, HDCP1.0 being broken doesn't matter to this, maybe HDCPv2.0 being a bit broken could be used, but I'm not sure how!"

Dan
02-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Another verbose +1:

I run Linux as my embedded and web development environment. Was about to buy one of those cute usb 3.0 docking stations, because it's exactly what I need. Then I found out about this fiasco, the fact that DisplayLink chips do not support Linux intentionally (for whatever reasons, I don't care). Big thumbs down. Not going to buy a docking station until Linux is supported.

To DisplayLink reps:
It's time to accept it, Linux is real and there are users who expect product support. Don't tell us why it can't work. We couldn't care less. Make it work so we can focus on the next big thing.
Thank you.

Hey - we demoed Android and ChromeOS support at international forums. We run linux hugely internally, like all our chip development runs on linux. But since it's timewarped locked CentOS for them to use the tools they need, there's very little chance we could get our drivers to work on them.

If we saw credible support for the existing DL1x5 chips in Linux for multiscreen, then that would be some motivation. Until that, people will just moan that we haven't bent the OS to work with our chips as well as Windows did with little change to the number of complaints we get.

ove
02-18-2015, 01:59 PM
The DL1x5 chips are well supported on newer Linux kernels.

I have a "Lenovo VDK8736 USB Port replicator with digital video" using the DL165 chipset and when I connect it to my Ubuntu 14.04 it just works... no configuration required.

The performance is not very good when you use a display manager like Unity or Gnome but it works.

If DisplayLink provided support for the newer chipset with USB-3 then I guess the performance problem will go away.

gilrim
02-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Hey - we demoed Android and ChromeOS support at international forums. We run linux hugely internally, like all our chip development runs on linux. But since it's timewarped locked CentOS for them to use the tools they need, there's very little chance we could get our drivers to work on them.

If we saw credible support for the existing DL1x5 chips in Linux for multiscreen, then that would be some motivation. Until that, people will just moan that we haven't bent the OS to work with our chips as well as Windows did with little change to the number of complaints we get.

I'm having a hard time comprehending what your trying to communicate here. Are you saying that "yes, we realize that Linux is a valuable target, but don't release specs nor proprietary drivers because Linux users whine and moan", or are you saying "our devs run ancient centos versions, and since that's the case anything we build will be deprecated"?
Please clarify your stance on this issue, as there clearly is a huge following that have your products but are prohibited from using them.
Again; reaching out to the community with some documentation would very well get you a long way, as it did with the libdlo drivers quite a few years back now. the pluggable guys even shipped embedded linux hardware using it, I can't see how this would be any different now..

soccerties
02-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Like others here I was bummed to found out DisplayLink USB 3.0 devices are not support on Linux. But there is now an alternative: Displayport MST (multi-stream transport).

There is support for MST starting in kernel 3.17 (thank you David Airlie (http://airlied.livejournal.com/79657.html)). Here's how to use MST in Ubuntu with Intel graphics card: http://askubuntu.com/a/552094

ulysse68
02-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Hi!

Could you please allow GNU/Linux users to use DisplayLink? Or could you publish the complete specs so that the community can build the required drivers on them?

Thanks!

gilrim
03-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Got a reply, this is my attempt for translating it (oh, the irony of them linking a fbdev support page):

"I checked status with my supervisor but unfortunately Displaylinks says that Linux on have "experimental support" (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DisplayLink) and thus aren't supported under linux by Dell. This means that there isn't anything I can do about the issue, but you can contact sales at 67 11 68 00 if you'd like to return the unit."

Sjekket status med min supervisor men dessvärre så seier DisplayLink at Linux har kun "expermintal support" (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DisplayLink) og er ikke stöttet under Linux av Dell. Dette mener at det finns ikke noen som jeg kan gjöre åt saken men du kan kontakte Salg på 67 11 68 00 om du vil hevde kjöpet.

Mvh,
Name
Support Technician
DELL | ProSupport Norway

yochaigal
03-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Like others here I was bummed to found out DisplayLink USB 3.0 devices are not support on Linux. But there is now an alternative: Displayport MST (multi-stream transport).

There is support for MST starting in kernel 3.17 (thank you David Airlie (http://airlied.livejournal.com/79657.html)). Here's how to use MST in Ubuntu with Intel graphics card: http://askubuntu.com/a/552094

Will this work on laptops that don't use docks? What about mini displayport or direct to USB?

Mechatism
04-13-2015, 06:28 AM
Another verbose +1:

To DisplayLink reps:
Thank you.

It seems DisplayLink has little desire to keep customers happy :mad:; requests for linux support were made back in 2012! Does anyone at this company actually read these posts? Obviously they get enough revenue from WhineDoze users but with 8.x turning every PC into a phone (with all their limitations) maybe more people will desert that behemoth. :D

yochaigal
04-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Will this work on laptops that don't use docks? What about mini displayport or direct to USB?

You have to have displayport 1.2 for it to work - I've got a 1st-gen X1 Carbon; I can't get DisplayLink 3.0 (works great in Windows, though) and I can't get MST! I am forever stuck with one screen, it seems.

advocat3
04-17-2015, 12:50 AM
Just another disappointed user chiming in.

Just ordered my XPS 13 touch 2015 developer edition and am sad to see that the USB 3.0 hubs will not support external displays.

There's a real missed opportunity here. I guess I'll be going DisplayPort? Even though I really don't want to? But what other options do we have? Not sure.

pingy
05-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Just another disappointed user chiming in.

Just ordered my XPS 13 touch 2015 developer edition and am sad to see that the USB 3.0 hubs will not support external displays.

There's a real missed opportunity here. I guess I'll be going DisplayPort? Even though I really don't want to? But what other options do we have? Not sure.

Couldn't agree more.
Using the xps 13 2015 edition. On windows no problems using the d3100, on linux no display support :(

Currently I use an additional minidisplayport to displayport cable for my monitor. However no multi-display support :(

Ehnalis
05-06-2015, 07:28 AM
Lenovo won't like it, but I'm about to return their product. It seems that there is no Linux (Ubuntu) support for Lenovo USB 3.0 ThinkPad Docking Station by DisplayLink and the DVI ports are not working.

I can guess that the double DVI ports on this pretty is only attractive to people who really wants to work with it, and work with Ubuntu.

Sorry Lenovo, you should have not played with DisplayLink. :-)

vmelandri
05-15-2015, 07:13 AM
Just adding another voice to the request: please, PLEASE, support us!

hackan
05-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Hi,
I just registered since I've ordered an ASUS MB168B+ monitor. I was looking forward to use the monitor with my computer, but since I'm using Ubuntu (14.04) at least half of the time I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Still no news regarding Linux/Ubuntu support, even if there's been talk about driver development from 2012 in this thread?

Also, has anyone noticed there's an Android DisplayLink app ("DisplayLink Desktop", not sure if I'm allowed to post URLs)? When I have the monitor and get hold of an Android 5.x device I'll probably try it...

bugmenot
05-27-2015, 08:56 AM
Just willing to know: there are alternatives?
(let's spread them!)

typhoe
05-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Hi,
I just registered since I've ordered an ASUS MB168B+ monitor. I was looking forward to use the monitor with my computer, but since I'm using Ubuntu (14.04) at least half of the time I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Still no news regarding Linux/Ubuntu support, even if there's been talk about driver development from 2012 in this thread?

Also, has anyone noticed there's an Android DisplayLink app ("DisplayLink Desktop", not sure if I'm allowed to post URLs)? When I have the monitor and get hold of an Android 5.x device I'll probably try it...

Hi,

I'm not able to use my own Asus MB168B+ with any linux (I tried both ubuntu and arch).

I quickly tested the Android DisplayLink app with a Galaxy S4 running CyanogenMod 12.1 nightly.
Although the DisplayLink driver seems to detect the monitor when plugged, it doesn't appear in the casting tile (And yes, I had another power source for the screen and casting to a miracast or chromecast dongle usually works).

So if you expect to use the MB168B+ with windows (or maybe OSX?), it's a great product (that's my case for my work).
But if you hope to use it with linux, it's just a piece of crap and you should definitively return it and try to find an other solution!

Regards.

sintesi
05-27-2015, 09:55 PM
I got a docking station and an adapter with Displaylink technology, because i was so stupid to assume that they would work on Linux. I was also milsled by Dell, recommending these devices with their XPS13 shipped with Linux.

Given the lack of support, the devices are totally useless for me, i can just try to sell them on eBay.

Maybe this will contribute to lower slightly the market value for this hardware. This is the only way i can express my gratitude to Displaylink for the time wasted

manghoti
06-03-2015, 01:43 AM
Sad to see no progress on more modern drivers.

I don't think I fully understand the hold up here. Go reach out to the xorg developers for help, put some feelers out in the linux kernel mailing list asking for help to develop an open source driver.

I bought the targus USB 3 Docking station to test it out, sad to see there hasn't been any work from display link. I'm not so miffed about that though because I'm just going to return it for a refund.

I can't imagin my use case is so rare, frankly. I'm a developer, my company just bought us laptops as workstations, and it would be great if we could dock them. How uncommon can that demographic possibly be?

Ehnalis
06-03-2015, 10:49 AM
No, you're case is not rare. I've just returned my Lenovo USB 3.0 docking station, because I'm a developer and I was not able to use it with Linux. One of my colleges were also wanted to try it out, but I suggested them not to buy. Also, they were not surprised at the store when I've returned the item.

vmelandri
06-23-2015, 10:57 PM
an Android DisplayLink app ("DisplayLink Desktop", not sure if I'm allowed to post URLs)? When I have the monitor and get hold of an Android 5.x device I'll probably try it...

The application claims it's doing exactly what we all need.
Will this indirectly shine a tiny beam of light on the situation?
Can the Android driver/module be ported to the 4.* linux kernel?

aabramwow
06-25-2015, 02:53 PM
I've got an MSIGT60-0ND-250US laptop with one VGA and one HDMI port. I'm running Xubuntu 15.04 right now and have two external monitors working nicely with these built-in ports.

I also have a StarTech USB 3.0 to DVI Displaylink adapter that works out of the box with my second OS, WinX64 8.1.

I REALLY wish that there were drivers for the StarTech USB 3.0 Displaylink adapter!!! Searching on Google for a USB external display / monitor adapter (search term: "linux usb display adapter") brought me to this forum page and I registered just to pipe in...

It would be SO wonderful if the community would pick up this issue. Being able to extend your desktop to three or more large external monitors is a big productivity gain and I bet *Nix developers would really enjoy and relish the experience.

I'm just piping in to say that I'm just one more in a (possibly) large crowd of folks who'd really love to see a driver come out for this device category.

My apologies for not providing very useful/helpful information. Just feel strongly about this matter (been hoping for a solution for more than two years now) and really wanted to speak up about it.

Fingers crossed folks!

rektide
06-25-2015, 08:56 PM
It would be SO wonderful if the community would pick up this issue. ... Fingers crossed folks!

It's not up to us. The USB2 devices were unencrypted, and the open source community was able to reverse engineer how to talk to the devices. The new USB3 devices are encrypted, and DisplayLink, after initially announcing USB3.0 devices with Linux support and advertising Linux support on the product pages, backpedaled, changed their product listings, and for two and a half years now has done absolutely nothing to give open source developers the starting place they need.

There have been some heroic attempts to hack the problem- keithp has been at it for a while (example 1 (http://airlied.livejournal.com/80307.html) example 2 (http://airlied.livejournal.com/80516.html) pleading cry for help #3 (http://airlied.livejournal.com/80797.html)), but there's little sign that without some kind of help, we'll be able to get around the encrypted mess.

Meanwhile, USB-AV is an official USB specification that at one point community manager Dan mentioned as a possible support target for future releases (http://displaylink.org/forum/showpost.php?p=9124&postcount=31), but that was 2.5 years ago.

DisplayLink product manager Wim recently issued a quick teaser, saying It would be useful to know which Linux distros would be the most popular for DisplayLink support first (http://support.displaylink.com/forums/287786-displaylink-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7988955-support-linux-on-all-your-devices). It would be of course best if they released some open documentation to let the open source community take over; if DisplayLink drops a closed-source proprietary driver it will be of limited long term use, whereas if they help explore the protocol (what USB-AV would have been a clear win for), work like David Aerlie's Reverse PRIME (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=modesetting-output-master) work would be able to be integrated ongoingly, we could experiment with what would make DisplayLink the best performing, most accessible across the broadest range of systems. But right now, and for the past three years (since USB3.0 product), there is no starting place for open source community, and there is no closed-source support. :eek: :mad: :confused:

Fingers crossed indeed, that we can start using the best multi-seat, multi-monitor platform on the planet with the best auxiliary/peripheral display hardware out there.

Wim
06-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Thank you for your patience with DisplayLink over support for Linux.

DisplayLink have been working on extending our OS support beyond Windows and Mac, and have recently introduced support for Android.

Now we have our first support for Android, we are pleased to announce that we will be extending our support for Linux, beyond USB 2.0 devices, with the first public preview for USB 3.0 devices planned in Q3 this year.

We will let you know when we have a first driver release available.

Thanks

Wim

typhoe
06-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Now we have our first support for Android, we are pleased to announce that we will be extending our support for Linux, beyond USB 2.0 devices, with the first public preview for USB 3.0 devices planned in Q3 this year.

Whooo! That's really a great news!

I'm looking forward to test it!

THANK YOU!

joshuapassos
07-04-2015, 06:41 PM

DisplayLink have been working on extending our OS support beyond Windows and Mac, and have recently introduced support for Android.

Thanks

Wim

*_*

Thank you !

wosen7
07-06-2015, 03:29 AM
Just joined this forum and thread because I got my USB 3.0 docking station from Dell a week ago, unfortunately not knowing about the deliberate choice of having it incompatible with Linux. I do need it for work, I am a researcher at Emory university and - given that everything has been said already - I would like to express and emphasize the need of DisplayLink programmers to come up with drivers as soon as possible. I will keep my device hoping that the solution will (really) be available by the 3rd quarter of this year.

Then finally this Wiki article will contain some good news:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayLink#cite_note-29

I would like to encourage other costumers to keep on expressing their interest for having DisplayLink hardware drivers for Linux and also their concern about the company's Linux adverse policy! I hope this (3 year waiting time for costumers) situation will not repeat in the future.

Best regards,
D. Hofmann

santilland
07-09-2015, 04:47 PM
I also just registered to say, i was thinking about getting a XPS 13 developer edition and after reading there was no support for the docking station with usb 3.0 i was about to dismiss the idea.
Reading from DisplayLink team that they are working on it makes me rethink the situation a bit.
Still looking at this with a bit of mistrust, but if they get it working i would buy the notebook and docking station for sure.

Looking forward to more news.

nonsbe
07-13-2015, 10:21 AM

Thanks

Wim

Just want to let you know that I also have a Dell XPS 13 running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I bought it, not knowing there was no USB 3.0 video/... support by DisplayLink. Looking forward towards the public preview in Q3.

pistolpete2nd
07-18-2015, 08:34 AM
I am also very displeased that after buying the Dell XPS 15 I notice that the USB3.0 Adapter to VGA does not work for Linux. I hope the drivers will be released soon, as I am eager to test them.

bohan
07-21-2015, 05:30 PM
I've been using Linux exclusively for more than ten years.
Since Dell recently sold XPS 15 laptops with linux preinstalled, I was confident this hardware was well supported on linux.
So I bought a Dell XPS 15 laptop, with its DL 3100 so called "docking" station.
I'm totally disappointed with the two products combined, since I can't plug any monitor, nor power my laptop through the dock. I have then no use for the DL 3100 dock.
I'm considering selling it away. Sure that's a *big* waste of money!

bohan
07-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Thank you very much!
Can't wait for it!

Thanks

Wim

Blastyr
07-30-2015, 06:39 AM
Emphasis mine:[...] with the first public preview for USB 3.0 devices planned in Q3 this year.

Really? I have a major problem with these three words, after 18 pages of people complaining about the lack of support.

Way to commit, DisplayLink. Pfft.

banderson5586
07-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Even a weak commitment is better than nothing. With the Andoid app out there, I can't imagine some sort of Linux support would be far behind. Would be interesting to know what what flavors of Linux are they targeting.

guerrierk
07-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Hi all,

I bought HP EliteDisplay S140u and I have to use it with Debian (3.16.0-4-amd64) on Dell Laptop n5110.

I am waiting for this new version of udl to use do.

Could we test beta version to help with our feedback ?

Thanks by advance ;-)

gaya
07-31-2015, 01:42 PM
I also registered for the +1 ;)
While searching for a tablet with proper Linux support and a docking station I came across the Dell XPS18. I have exactly that now. It definitely is a nice tablet, but I came to know after some time that the Linux support isn't as I expected and I cannot use my 2 other Monitors under Linux. I forced myself to use Windows 8.1 now. It is working somehow but annoying me in many places. It doesn't cold-start when shutdown down the PSU prior shutdown, it bugs with Windows 10, it complains about weird things, it cannot properly copy files and on the second Monitor it is slow. The DNS cache crashes the network when modifying the hosts file. Battery runtime has been less with Windows compared to a fully blown Gnome Desktop.

Windows has many antique parts no one cares for (Mail account settings, registry, browser, properties, explorer Window features ("window on top")).
In Linux you can find those antiques as well, but you often can find an alternative and it runs stable. So I'm forced to use Windows because of the docking station as I need the two monitors. And I hate it. I can't use my old scanner anymore because HP doesn't supply the driver anymore for Windows 7+. Linux has no issues speaking with that device.

I would love to go back to Gentoo. I considered financing the docking station driver, but earlier in the thread I read about companies buying 2000 laptops and that docking station for Linux will do better than me.

I can think of replacing my Windows with Linux sooner or later again or I can find another Docking station that works fine. Problem is that the few working seem to work with the DL1x5 chipsets. I don't have that many ports on that AIO-PC XPS18.

jkudish
08-03-2015, 05:34 AM
Another big +1 from me to please add Linux Support. Got the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition and definitely disappointed that I can't easily use the Dell accessories to connect a display.

Q3 is already halfway through, would be great to see support added soon. Happy to alpha/beta test :)

Wim
08-04-2015, 05:46 PM
We’re pleased to announce the first version of DisplayLink support for Ubuntu is now available. It can be downloaded from here:

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu.php

We intend to maintain Ubuntu support, but have designed the driver in such a way, it should be possible to port the driver to other distributions.

More information about the release can be found here:

http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/683482

Wim

Blastyr
08-04-2015, 10:30 PM
We’re pleased to announce the first version of DisplayLink support for Ubuntu is now available. It can be downloaded from here:

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu.php

We intend to maintain Ubuntu support, but have designed the driver in such a way, it should be possible to port the driver to other distributions.

More information about the release can be found here:

http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/683482

Wim

This is a pleasant surprise, but I have one concern after reviewing the release notes (emphasis mine):

C. Supported O/S variants
=========================

This release has been prepared to be compatible with Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS. Other variants and editions may be compatible if they meet minimum O/S requirements, but are not supported by DisplayLink.

The Software contains binaries which work on Intel x86 platform (32 bit and 64 bit).
Minimum supported Linux Kernel version is 3.16.
Minimum supported Xorg version is 1.16.

These two statements appear to contradict each other, as Ubuntu 14.04.x uses kernel 3.13.0 and Xorg 1.15.1.

If you could clarify this point, it would be appreciated.

baldyman
08-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Does this driver support the ASUSMB168B+ / DL-4120 ?

I installed your driver on Mint 17.2 (based on Ubuntu 14.04), 3.19.0-25-generic kernel, xorg 1.15.1, and it appears to do the sum total of nothing.

banderson5586
08-05-2015, 12:26 AM
These two statements appear to contradict each other, as Ubuntu 14.04.x uses kernel 3.13.0 and Xorg 1.15.1.

Here is the error I received. Looks like 3.14 is the minimum.

Unsatisfied dependencies. Missing component: Kernel version 3.13.0-61-generic is too old. At least 3.14 is required.

jkudish
08-05-2015, 02:04 AM
installing the driver with Kernel 4+ is not possible:

Unsatisfied dependencies. Missing component: Kernel version 4.0.7-300.fc22.x86_64 is too old. At least 3.14 is required.
This is a fatal error, cannot install DisplayLink Linux Software.

MartinHerrman
08-05-2015, 07:56 AM
This is fantastic news! Delivered before expected :-)

I'm running Debian Jessie and tried to install the driver. After installing dkms and running the installer again, it complains about my kernel version as well. It also complains about missing headers.

Eventually I can install it by making some modifications.

Unfortunately, mouse and network are available, but power and display are not available to the laptop.

All information is in the attached text file (I tried to put it in this post, but that results in an error when previewing or submitting it).

What can I do to get this solved?

nonsbe
08-05-2015, 09:02 AM

Wim

Installed it on 14.04.2 LTS and it works like a charm with 2 external displays! Thank you for the effort!
Though this should have been released from the start on though. I hope this will be kept in mind for future productions of DisplayLink.

mlukaszek
08-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Hi,
In Ubuntu 14.04.2, both kernel and X have been updated. See http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/615714#ubuntu for details on how to get compatible versions.

Technically speaking, the absolute minimum version we need for the kernel module is 3.14, as the installer claims.
However, recommended and tested versions of kernel and X are as in the release note: 3.16 and 1.16.

Hope this helps!
Michal

mlukaszek
08-05-2015, 09:55 AM
I'm running Debian Jessie (...) power and display are not available to the laptop.

installed your driver on Mint 17.2 (...) and it appears to do the sum total of nothing

Hi,

The install script only recognises Ubuntu 14.x at the moment. If you attempt to run in on another distribution you need to manually install either an upstart script, or a systemd service file for our user mode driver application, so it is started automatically when your graphics environment is up - see the install script for examples how it's done for Ubuntu.

Without the driver application running, your screens will not work.

Hope this helps!
Michal

nonsbe
08-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Installed it on 14.04.2 LTS and it works like a charm with 2 external displays! Thank you for the effort!
Though this should have been released from the start on though. I hope this will be kept in mind for future productions of DisplayLink.

I seem to experience some input/display lag on both screens (slight delay on mouse movement and dragging windows).
Probably you are aware of this issue and this will be solved in future releases?

mlukaszek
08-05-2015, 12:42 PM
some input/display lag on both screens (slight delay on mouse movement and dragging windows).

It is very much dependent on the quality of information our driver receives from the desktop environment. We have seen differences in performance between Unity, which is used by default on Ubuntu and other environments like GNOME Shell or KDE's Plasma. This is also getting more visible with the number of extra screens you add, and is also dependent on the platform you installed the O/S on.

If the desktop environment is not optimised to notify just the parts of the screen that has changed, and sends all pixels again instead, this will impact DisplayLink performance, as we will have more data to send to our device.

Thanks,
Michal

Wim
08-05-2015, 03:19 PM
I'm going to close this thread to new posts, as it looks to be turning into a support thread for multiple issues.

For feedback on the Ubuntu driver for USB 3.0 devices, please start new threads in this forum.

Thanks

Wim