PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Targus (DL-3900) insane lag, please help!

metalliqaz
05-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Just got a brand new Targus USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Dual Video Adapter, which I understand is based on the DL-3900. I have installed the latest displaylink software (6.3m0). The software installed without error and the adapter was installed without issue when I plugged it in.

It does work. The display looks fine, but as soon as I open a web browser it slows down so much that the mouse lag renders the additional display unusable. I mean REALLY unusable. I can't reliably click on links or read mouseovers because of the extreme lag. Strangely enough, video plays just fine (for example YouTube). The user interfaces of Windows media player and Libreoffice work a bit better but still not well enough for me to use this adapter for anything serious.

I need you guys to be straight with me. Is this just what I have to put up with when using a USB video adapter or is this something that can be fixed. As it is right now, this is so laughably bad that I can't imagine this would ever have been put on the market on purpose. How can I fix it?

I'm definitely using Aero. This is a laptop, and the the other graphics adapter is a GeForce GTX 260M.

I just noticed that if I do anything that causes Windows to ask for elevated priviledges, it makes the screen on all monitors go black for several seconds. This is definitely new behavior.

metalliqaz
06-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Update

My laptop is a Asus gaming series. A few years old but still no slouch. WEI is 5.0 (Processor. Graphics and Gaming graphics are 5.9/5.8). I have the latest and greatest nVidia drivers installed.

I turned off Aero and it is MUCH better. Still not awesome, but at least usable.

So what the heck is going on? When Aero is enabled, ANY task that causes the computer the think even the least little bit causes the mouse to hiccup and lag so much that it can't possibly be used.

metalliqaz
06-01-2012, 05:43 PM
update #2

I'm running Windows Vista on my laptop. I tried my adapter on a different computer running XP and it works fine there. Is there a problem with the software and Vista?