PDA

View Full Version : No video / USB Display Adapters

Mblackburn
04-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Hi
I just got the Targus Dual video Docking Station and I can't get any video. I have been looking through the forum for ways to trouble shoot, and I tried the steps in the "Debugging ussues on Windows with DisplayLink". I am runing a Dell Vostro 3550, which has USB 3.0. The drivers seem to install fine and it will work as a USB hub, but I cannot get it to see the NIC, or make video. I can see the DisplayLink service and it's started, but in the device manager there is no USB display adapter. I have tried everything in the HOWTO (to my knowledge at least). I have attached the support files. I gotta be missing a step or something.
WIN 7 Pro
Dell Vostro 3550
Thanks

Wim
04-10-2012, 12:53 PM
No DisplayLink devices have been detected on the USB bus according to the logs.

Can you try updating the driver for your Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver (2.0.32.0). This might solve the issue. Does the dock work when connected to a USB 2.0 port?

Wim

sadcom
04-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Same docking station, Dell XPS 14Z laptop Windows 7 Pro. 64bit, with USB 3 ports and I am having THE SAME PROBLEM.

What I tried:
- installed the latest software
- followed "HOWTO: Debugging issues..."

DisplayLink UI is not running. It is not in the tray and when I start it manually, it doesn't appear.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slava

jcwh2
05-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi folks!

I spent many hours wrestling with my Targus SuperSpeed USB3 Dual Monitor Docking Station, but now I've finally got it to work reliably! (kind of) :)

I found that when I plugged in the docking station the OS would detect the USB Hub, but not the display adapters. They would not show up in device manager. When I unplugged the docking station and plug it in again, the same thing happenned.

However...

Instead of unplugging the USB and plugging it in again, try leaving the USB plugged in. Instead, unplug the power to the docking station and then plug it in again. When I do this the second time round the OS detects all the UBS display adapters - they appear in device manager and the DisplayLink UI then appears in the system tray.

Even now, every time I turn on the computer I have to unplug the power to the docking station and then plug it in again before it is fully detected by the OS.

Hope this helps! Let me know,

John

-----

Samsung Q310 Laptop
Windows Vista Home Premium
Targus USB3 PC Express expansion card

xps13
05-23-2012, 05:53 PM
My company is having the same issue, we have 3 xps13 dell laptops, windows 64bit, with the latest Displaylink drivers. When we install the drivers every thing works fine with the Targus 3.0. When the user takes their computer home and comes back the next day and plugs the usb into the Targus dock, the keyboard and mouse work, but the monitor does not detect, and the Displaylink icon does not show up in the bottom right. Unplugging the Targus power and plugging back in fixes the issue, but then it happens again the next day. Please fix or contact Targus?

Wim
05-24-2012, 10:45 AM
For all the issues raised here, they are probably USB related. We really need to know what the USB controller is on the laptop and whether the user is connecting to a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port on the laptop.

Please make sure the logs are posted, gathered when the dock is detected and not detected.

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Thanks

Wim

corig1
05-24-2012, 10:52 AM
There is an update to 2.1.32.0 for the Renesas controller drivers.

xps13
05-24-2012, 07:29 PM
User comes in the morning and plugs usb cable into usb3 port, display not working, mouse and Keyboard work, not sure about ethernet. Unplug and replug the dock power, display works.

Attached are the Not working and Working logs.

USB Driver:
Fresco Logic xHCI Controller FL 1009

Wim
05-25-2012, 04:09 PM
User comes in the morning and plugs usb cable into usb3 port, display not working, mouse and Keyboard work, not sure about ethernet. Unplug and replug the dock power, display works.

Attached are the Not working and Working logs.

USB Driver:
Fresco Logic xHCI Controller FL 1009

I suspect this could be due to the Fresco Host controller. Could you try updating the driver to the latest 3.5.46 version from here:

http://station-drivers.com/page/fresco_logic.htm

Does the same issue happen if they use the USB 2.0 ports?

Thanks

Wim

xps13
05-25-2012, 08:01 PM
the drivers you posted are for a Asus motherboard, so I don't think i can use it? The same no display issue comes up in the usb2 port.

xps13
06-04-2012, 08:38 PM
the drivers you posted are for a Asus motherboard, so I don't think i can use it? The same no display issue comes up in the usb2 port.

Any updates?

nlandas
06-06-2012, 01:03 PM

I have an XPS 13 as well with the same problems described by others. I downloaded the archive that is linked in the previous post. (THANK YOU.) I checked out the archive and it seems to have a driver package directly from Fresco. I gave it a try and (knock on wood) the problem has not occurred for over 14 hours. I came in the next day, after leaving my laptop plugged in and locked and was able to log right in.

The file I used in the archive is......
FLUSB3.0-3.5.46.0 (Signed by Fresco Logic.)

I've emailed my DELL representative to ask if they can report to the department in DELL that would update the driver package on their support site but until then, I think trying those newer Fresco drivers is a good idea.

Now obviously, it would be nice to test this longer and I'd recommend backing up any important data as a safeguard and PLEASE CREATE a restore point. When you are done, report back to the forum your results so that other DELL XPS 13 users can benefit from the results. I'll try and remember to pop back and let everyone know how my testing goes after a longer period of time. (Fingers crossed.)

I'm loving my Ultrabook and if this Targus 3.0 Superspeed with dual displaylink ports works stably, I've just replaced my desktop. Something I never thought I would ever do.

-Nyle

nlandas
06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
I suspect this could be due to the Fresco Host controller. Could you try updating the driver to the latest 3.5.46 version from here:

http://station-drivers.com/page/fresco_logic.htm

Does the same issue happen if they use the USB 2.0 ports?

Thanks

Wim

Thank you for the link.

The relevant file is.......
FLUSB3.0-3.5.46.0 (Signed by Fresco Logic.)

See my earlier post for my results.

nlandas
06-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Ok, after a little more testing I have found that it is more stable but still not what I would call rock solid. This is with my Targus DisplayLink based SuperSpeed 3.0 port replicator. Does anyone have the same problems to report with other devices?

So I'm running the latest USB drivers and the latest DisplayLink.

My behavior is that randomly my Dell XPS13 Ultrabook seemingly looses connection to the port replicator. It's not always display, sometimes just the NIC drops off but it's using a Displaylink driver too. All in all this has not been a smooth experience and I can't recommend this yet as a solution to our non-technical staff.

I'd love to equip our Administrators with Ultrabooks and DisplayLink port replicators but not until I can work these issues out.

wadegibson
06-12-2012, 02:06 PM
I've had similar problems with my Dell XPS 14Z and Targus USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Dual Video Docking Station with Power. In the morning I will connect the power to my laptop and USB connection, power on, and I will have USB connectivity (keyboard, mouse, USB drive), but no video and no ethernet. I figured out a couple weeks ago to just unplug the dock power and re-plug then everything appears and works fine.

I finally got frustrated enough with having to do this every single day, so today I Googled the issue and found this thread. A couple weeks ago when the problem started I had uninstalled all of the DisplayLink software and drivers, then downloaded and reinstalled the latest DisplayLink 6.3m0 software, but that didn't help any. It was the same whether plugging into a USB 2 or 3 port. I also tried downloading the Fresco USB drivers posted earlier in the thread, but upon installing it said it couldn't find any Fresco USB controllers (my dock apparently has a Texas Instruments Root USB Hub).

Interestingly enough, even though I was running the 6.3m0 software (latest on DisplayLink download site), this morning I ran Windows Updates and there was a DisplayLink software update posted that was published in the past few days. I installed that, rebooted, and now things seem to be working fine (for now).

I hope this continues to work. I've been really happy with this dock/laptop combination so far aside from these few bugs.

xps13
06-20-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm pretty sure this is a hardware issue, not a software issue. How else would re-powering the dock fix the issue? Targus really should be responding to this.

wadegibson
06-27-2012, 08:57 PM
This seems to be getting worse. Now even unplugging/re-plugging the power on the dock doesn't fix it. I've completely uninstalled/re-installed the 6.3M0 software to no avail. Still no video or ethernet connectivity, only USB. This dock is turning out to be a glorified USB hub and I'm really frustrated with it.

Does anyone from DisplayLink read these forums?

Wim
06-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi Guys

This does sound like it could be hardware with the device not appearing on the USB bus. Are you all using the same Targus product (ACP71 - with the laptop PSU)?

When you have issues, how much of the dock appears on the USB bus? Can you use device manager and "View devices by connection" to see if it is just the DisplayLink chip that is not appearing or if the USB 3 hub in the dock is also not appearing? Might help diagnose the issue.

Thanks

Wim

pbhatia
06-29-2012, 05:59 PM
I am having the following issues with my XPS 13 (Win 7 64bit) and Kensington Dock:

After updating the latest display link drivers (6.3) and USB drivers (3.5.56):

1. The ethernet port on the dock does not work
2. Gives me the following error - Display Adapter is not supported on this operating system version
3. The USB ports on the dock (keyboard, mouse) seem to be working.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

pbhatia
06-29-2012, 08:34 PM
In addition to the post above, i also do not see a computer (displaylink) icon in the task bar. The monitor display is not working either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wim
06-30-2012, 10:50 AM
I am having the following issues with my XPS 13 (Win 7 64bit) and Kensington Dock:

After updating the latest display link drivers (6.3) and USB drivers (3.5.56):

1. The ethernet port on the dock does not work
2. Gives me the following error - Display Adapter is not supported on this operating system version
3. The USB ports on the dock (keyboard, mouse) seem to be working.

Any ideas?

Yes - please refer to this thread:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1372

Wim

Wim
06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
I finally got frustrated enough with having to do this every single day, so today I Googled the issue and found this thread. A couple weeks ago when the problem started I had uninstalled all of the DisplayLink software and drivers, then downloaded and reinstalled the latest DisplayLink 6.3m0 software, but that didn't help any. It was the same whether plugging into a USB 2 or 3 port. I also tried downloading the Fresco USB drivers posted earlier in the thread, but upon installing it said it couldn't find any Fresco USB controllers (my dock apparently has a Texas Instruments Root USB Hub).

If you have a TI Root Hub in your laptop, the Fresco drivers are not going to work. You need to update the TI drivers, which can be found here:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/texas-ins.htm

And for anyone else wanting to update the USB 3.0 drivers in their laptop, the latest drivers are linked from this article (http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=315) in our knowledgebase.

I would have expected it to work when plugging into a USB 2.0 port. When you connect to a USB 2.0 port and have the issue, can you use device manager, and "View Devices By Connection" and drill down the USB bus to see how much of the dock has appeared on the bus? Is the root hub of the USB dock there or is it just the DisplayLink USB chip that is missing?

Wim

wadegibson
07-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Wim - I updated to the latest Ti USB3 drivers, but I'm still experiencing the same problems. After the Ti USB3 update I now have an Unknown Device showing up under the Generic USB Hub section in Device Manager. However, the Texas Instruments USB Root Hub and XHCI Controller show up fine.

I've attached a couple Device Manager screenshots if that helps any. The first is normal view (devices by type) of USB, second is devices by connection. Under device by connection I don't see the Ti USB.

Thanks for your help.

pbhatia
07-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Can you pls. point me to the latest Kensington SW? When i do a search on sd400v on this link nothing shows up.

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/s/1550/softwaredrivers.aspx

pbhatia
07-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Yes - please refer to this thread:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1372

Wim
C:\Users\pooja_bhatia\Desktop\Capture.png

Wim
07-04-2012, 05:55 AM
V5.5 from kensington can be downloaded here.

http://accoblobstorageus.blob.core.windows.net/software/de2b7958-991b-432d-9607-60c38c3fdef5.zip

Wim

Kevin Parker
03-20-2014, 03:41 AM
I have Windows 7 Professional running on a 64 bit processor and I had the same problem. When the Targus USB 3 Docking Station is plugged in for the first time and the drivers start to install—select “Skip obtaining driver software from Windows Update” for all drivers being installed.

Problem FIXED! :cool:

JamesH
03-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Hi,

You can pickup the latest Fresco drivers from here:
http://www.frescologic.com/support.php (FLUSB3.0-3.5.106.0)

Thanks,
James

paulsparrow
10-08-2016, 04:01 PM
THANKS! It worked. Spent days on this. You are my hero!

Hi folks!

I spent many hours wrestling with my Targus SuperSpeed USB3 Dual Monitor Docking Station, but now I've finally got it to work reliably! (kind of) :)

I found that when I plugged in the docking station the OS would detect the USB Hub, but not the display adapters. They would not show up in device manager. When I unplugged the docking station and plug it in again, the same thing happenned.

However...

Instead of unplugging the USB and plugging it in again, try leaving the USB plugged in. Instead, unplug the power to the docking station and then plug it in again. When I do this the second time round the OS detects all the UBS display adapters - they appear in device manager and the DisplayLink UI then appears in the system tray.

Even now, every time I turn on the computer I have to unplug the power to the docking station and then plug it in again before it is fully detected by the OS.

Hope this helps! Let me know,

John

-----

Samsung Q310 Laptop
Windows Vista Home Premium
Targus USB3 PC Express expansion card