PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP x64 Software

dr.b
03-20-2012, 03:06 PM
My office recently received a grant to purchase 50 additional monitors - giving each of our works a second display. Since not all computers could support two screens we purchased USB video adapters with the DL-165 chip in them. I downloaded the .MSI installer and pushed out the update to the entire network. The software installed extremely well - except on the XP x64 platform (which I later saw on your website - is not supported). When we purchased the adapters it looked as though XP / Vista / 7 32-64bit systems were supported.

However, I then dug around the MSI files and was able to install the hardware to each machine. Now in the XP x64 device manager we have a category for USB Video Device - with the adapter being identified as: DisplayLink Display Adapter (0290). The hardware is installed and ready to go. However, it is still displayed as a configurable option in the display properties screen.

I tried to force an install of your software - removing the launch conditions and software gets installed in the x64 program files folder. If you try to launch the displaylink utility it opens for a second and closes. I feel as if the application is "10 seconds" away from working.

These 14 machines are stuck on XP x64 due to the medical software they integrate with ex. X-Ray, MRI, Cat Scan. I know that XP x64 is a difficult system to install drivers for, but now the driver is installed and working (no BSOD) - I just am looking for some way to get the adapter listed in the display properties page. I don't care about "extra" features - I just want to get the display activated.

Is there any chance you have a beta or trial version for XP x64. Would we be able to aid you in the development of one? Pay for the development to occur? Thank you for your assistance and I hope we can get these great adapters to work.

Wim
03-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Hi

I'm afraid there is on XP 64 bit driver, even in beta, and there are no plans to support this. It is a large amount of work to do this, on an OS that Microsoft are trying to end of life. Instead we are focussing on supporting future operating systems, eg Windows 8.

Thanks

Wim