PDA

View Full Version : Problem with USB 3.0 ASMedia Host controller and DisplayLink

rlane00
02-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me with getting this software to load / work for my setup. Here is the situation I have a Samsung NP700Z5AH-S0AUS (running Win 7 professional 64-bit) which has two video cards: 1) Intel HD Graphics Family and 2) AMD Radeon HD6750M. I also have two external monitors - both Dell U2412. Since my laptop does not have a dedicated docking station I decided to buy a universal docking station so that I could use my dual monitors (as I had with previous laptop).

I first bought a Toshiba Dynadock U3.0 which seemed to have all the features I wanted. However, when I attempted to load the driver software that came with the Toshiba it did not work (the software did not show up in the task bar). They tried downloading the latest drivers directly from DisplayLink site, but that didn't help. They said the unit was bad and I should return and replace.

Thinking that I didn't want to have the same problem I decided to return the Toshiba unit, but replace with a similar featured version from Targus instead - model ACP71USZ. That unit just arrived today and I had the same problem. The instructions state (for Win 7) to just connect the docking station to laptop and Windows will start installing the DisplayLink Driver automatically. I did this, and a "Generic USB Hub" driver was installed - but nothing showed up in the system tray. I then tried downloading the driver from the CD provided and the installation appeared to be "in progress" and then it just stopped with no notice or window popping up saying anything. Still nothing in the system tray. Same result when I tried downloading the latest driver from DisplayLink website.

I called Targus for tech support and the tech asked if my laptop had two video cards (which it does). He said I had to disable one of the video cards and then try it again. Doesn't sound like a real good solution to me, so I looked for support here. I didn't see anything that addressed this issue in a quick search - hence this post.

Is there a way to make this setup work? If so, how do I do it?

Edit: I further checked some of the sticky posts and went through the steps.
- The program is installed.
- The service is running
- However the Hardware Ids is"USB\VID_8087&PID_0024" which does not match what the posts says it should be.

Thanks.

Wim
02-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Hi

OK - we'll try and help you get to the bottom of this. Firstly, the 2 graphics cards you have I think are switchable graphics (the computer switches between the GPUs), which are supported by DisplayLink. What is not supported is when you have 2 discreet video cards installed in a desktop.

The hardware ID you are seeing is the Hardware ID of the USB hub I think. As you cannot see anything else, it looks like the dock is not being recognised on the USB bus.

A quick Google and I think your laptop has USB 3.0? There can be some problems with older versions of USB 3.0 Host controller drivers (the driver for your USB 3.0 port). Updating the driver for your USB 3.0 controller could solve this issue. We have an FAQ to the latest driver versions of USB 3.0 controllers (http://kb.displaylink.com/315).

Hopefully with an updated Host Controller driver, the dock should leap to life, but if it doesn't please gather the log files and post them here (http://kb.displaylink.com/269)so we can take a further look.

Wim

rlane00
02-27-2012, 03:14 PM
My laptop does have USB 3.0 (2 ports) plus a single USB 2.0 port as well. So far I've only been trying to work with the 3.0 ports - since the Targus universal docking station also supports 3.0.

I was able to update my driver (to ASMedia version 1.14.3.0), but the docking station is still not recognized on either of the (2) USB 3.0 ports. However, when I switched to the USB 2.0 port on my laptop the docking station sprang to life and appears to be working fine.

So it is now working - but would be nice to have the 3.0 operational as well. Any further thoughts on that?

Wim
02-28-2012, 12:28 PM
At least it is now working on USB 2.0. We are aware of some issues with compatibility with DisplayLink and ASMedia USB 3.0 controllers. V6.1 M2 was specifically released to work around issues with this Host controller (ASMedia limitations, not DisplayLink problems). However the latest released version of ASMedia you have does not contain fixes that they have done, so there are still ASMedia problems with DisplayLink, that they need to fix. We believe they are working on these, but we don't know if/when these will be released.

I think it would be best to contact the laptop manufacturer and ask if there is an updated ASMedia driver to solve the compatibility with DisplayLink. We will also follow up with ASMedia.

Thanks

Wim

JamesH
02-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi,

To help us investigate this issue can you try version 1.14.4.0 of the ASMedia driver to see if that helps and also please post the logs that can be gathered through the tool described here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks
James

rlane00
02-29-2012, 07:16 PM
I installed the 1.14.4.0 driver (I hope it was done correctly). I then restarted the computer and connected to the USB3.0 port on my laptop. The behavior appeared to be the same as before on the 3.0 port - essentially the universal docking station was not recognized at all.

I then reconnected to the usb2.0 port and it's working again.

I then downloaded your debug tool and ran it (when connected to the 2.0 port) and attached the zip file that was created.

JamesH
03-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Hi,

The logs show that version 1.14.3.0 of the ASMedia driver is installed.

Did you try an upgrade to 1.14.4.0?

Can you try uninstalling 1.14.3.0 and then installing 1.14.4.0 and then see if the problem still occurs?

Thanks,
James

rlane00
03-02-2012, 04:59 PM
I am not sure if I can uninstall the 1.14.3.0 driver, and then reinstall the 1.14.4.0 driver. The reason is that the install for the 1.14.3.0 driver went very smoothly and automatically (like I suppose it should), however the install for the 1.14.4.0 did not go so automatically. I was able to download the 1.14.4.0 driver to my computer, but the "setup" program didn't automatically install the driver. Instead, I had to go to the device manager and update the driver for the ASMedia XHCI Controller manually. When I check the properties of that driver it shows me 1.14.4.0 (see screen shot attached) - so I presumed it was loaded.

Because the driver did not load smoothly / automatically I chatted with Samsung support about the issue. They said that they show the latest supported driver is 1.14.3.0. When I showed them the link to the 1.14.4.0 version the support guy just repeated the company line that 1.14.3.0 was latest version supported.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

guvies
03-08-2012, 06:50 AM
I have the same problem, My laptop Asus N55SF have USB 3.0 (2 ports) and USB 2.0 (2 ports also). My Targus are ACP70USZ and supports USB 3.0 but only works in USB 2.0 the driver of DisplayLink Graphics (6.1.36490.0), DisplayLink Core Software (6.1.36484.0) and the driver of USB is Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver (1.14.4.0) installed on 2012-03-07 Status is Installed.

Wim
03-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm afraid that this will need an update from AS Media. We don't know when this will be, but are trying to find out. It looks like it is possible to contact AS Media directly to try and get an update:

http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_contact.php

Wim

rlane00
03-09-2012, 10:37 PM
I just sent them an email, with a link back to this thread, and asked them to provide with some feedback on the situation. Thanks.

ultrah
03-19-2012, 03:04 PM
I can confirm this issue.

I also own a Samsung Series 7 700Z3A and a Toshiba Dynadock U3.

The dock works fine on the USB 2.0 port, albeit with lower display performance.

On USB 3.0 it is only recognized as two generic usb hubs. I can use mouse and keyboard, but nothing else.

On another Machine with an ASMedia 106x Controller it works fine on USB 3.0

Host Controller Driver Version is Version 1.14.8.0, OS is Win 7 x64

by the way, I only got useless respones from samsung along the lines of "the notebook is fine, the device you are trying to attach is broken"

Randog77
04-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Version ASMedia 1.14.8.0 works properly with the Displaylink now!

ultrah
04-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Version ASMedia 1.14.8.0 works properly with the Displaylink now!

I can't verify this because I am on vacation right now but I doubt that. If you look one post up you can see that I already tried this driver version.

rlane00
04-04-2012, 05:01 PM
I just updated to this latest driver version and the USB3.0 is now working for me just as promised. I hadn't tried to update previously based on the feedback that it hadn't worked for ultrah, but it's working for me.

ultrah
04-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Still not working for me :/

Wim
04-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Its possible that you have different chip versions of the AS Media Host controller and different firmware programmed into the host controller. This is why the new HC driver may work for some and not for others.

ultrah, it might be worth asking AS Media if they have a way of making sure you have the latest firmware in your host controller, as this might help.

Wim

Randog77
04-27-2012, 07:42 PM
I am using the firmware from this site:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm

version 110914

The only problem I have found is that I cant use my USB 2 Serial port adaptor (with an FTDI chip inside) and my Terasic blaster (with an FTDI chip insdie) at the same time. It seems to crash something. Its unfortinate, because otherwise everthing works perfect (as far as I can tell). I run on USB 2.0 for now since I cant debug without both running.

matthewt
06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
I updated my drivers from the same place as Randog77 and now it's working over USB3.

I also updated the firmware to 1222oE (minor hassle you need to boot into DOS).

This is on a Samsung 700z5a i7 quadcore. Previously only the usb hub worked on USB3 (USB2 everything worked). Now after installing the new USB3 drivers and a few reboots everything is working fine over USB3.

mikospy
09-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi guys,
I had same problem with vx6s netbook, solved by flashing bios 1222_0e through real DOS promt and using driver 1.14.10.0 all downloadable from station-drivers.com. Not use 1.16.xx.x driver because it contains new drivers for windows 8 but older 1.14.3.x for windows 7

Apache1983
11-02-2012, 11:42 PM
I updated my drivers from the same place as Randog77 and now it's working over USB3.

I also updated the firmware to 1222oE (minor hassle you need to boot into DOS).

This is on a Samsung 700z5a i7 quadcore. Previously only the usb hub worked on USB3 (USB2 everything worked). Now after installing the new USB3 drivers and a few reboots everything is working fine over USB3.

I updated to the latest driver but I don't how to flash the firmware, is it possible if you can post a instruction on how to flash the firmware? Thanks a lot.:)

Apache1983
11-04-2012, 06:11 AM
I have another problem on the Toshiba Dynadock 3.0, the screen becomes fuzzy when I go to the Youtube page and it keeps going on when I play video on full screen, but it disappears when I switch to another web page. I tried both usb 2.0 and 3.0 but same thing happens.

Wim
11-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I have another problem on the Toshiba Dynadock 3.0, the screen becomes fuzzy when I go to the Youtube page and it keeps going on when I play video on full screen, but it disappears when I switch to another web page. I tried both usb 2.0 and 3.0 but same thing happens.

This could be a side effect of USB issues. If the bandwidth reduces, then the compression will increase to match the lower bandwidth.

Wim

Apache1983
11-05-2012, 05:47 PM
This could be a side effect of USB issues. If the bandwidth reduces, then the compression will increase to match the lower bandwidth.

Wim

Thanks for you reply, Wim. Is there a solution for this, I tried disconnecting other ports on the dock but HDMI, the problem still exsits, I thought the bandwidth problem would go away since there was only HDMI on it. Other than that, Toshiba and Displaylink both did a great job on this.:) BTW, the graphic from my laptop comes from HD 3000.

Muzica
01-31-2013, 12:16 AM
I had the same problem with USB 3.0 and Toshiba Docking station.

Unchecking the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Device Manager.
"Universal Serial Bus controllers."
Double-click on "USB Root Hub." You may have more than one "USB Root Hub" listed in the Device Manager. Double-click on any one of the "USB Root Hubs."
Click on the "Power Management" tab.
Uncheck the box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
Push the "OK" button and close the "Device Manager."
Repeat steps four through seven if you would like to disable multiple "USB Root Hubs."