PDA

View Full Version : Screensaver starts while working

gbpaxjr
02-07-2012, 01:02 AM
I am running the latest driver with the BVU195 on a Early 2011 Macbook Pro running 10.7.3. Whether I have the USB adapter connected or not, my laptop will enable the screensaver nearly every fifteen minutes. This is regardless what I'm doing. I have searched the forums and found one article with the same symptom but no resolution. I have tried driver version 1.7, 1.7B2 or 1.7B3.

Any thoughts? My log collection is attached.

Thanks

drfrogsplat
03-11-2012, 01:30 AM
I'm seeing the same behaviour.

I have a MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.7.3 and just installed the most recent DisplayLink drivers from the website, v1.7 (8 Dec 2011). I've not yet tried the "1.8 Alpha 1" driver, but will attempt to when I get time. Would be interested to hear if others have tried it out yet...?

I haven't even received the USB-DVI adaptor yet, but installed the driver since I expect to receive it in the mail in the next day or two... this isn't a great sign to be experiencing annoyances before I even get the device :(

Symonty
03-15-2012, 09:53 PM
I see something same but it seems more systemic.

1) If my thunderbolt displays are plugged in then I can even login the login screen is obscured by the screen saver.
2) some application no longer see me as active but think I am idle all the time
3) the screen saver will suddenly appear when I login
4) the screen saver will randomly appear.

Symonty
03-15-2012, 10:00 PM
The screensaver appears at login window ( so i have to reboot as I can't login ) if my thunderbolt displays are attached.
Idle timer of many applications seems to think I am always idle.
screensaver just randomly appears

I am using newest 1.8a1

When I remove display link driver all back to normal.

I recently upgrade from a 9400/9600GT based macbook to the newest model, but I am don't think any breadcrumbs got left?

mooreplusone
04-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I just start using the DisplayLink at home for 1 of 2 HP IPS monitors. I am having the same issue. The screensaver starts up intermittently; I can't detect a pattern or action that causes it, and no hot corners, special actions are set to make this happen.

It did not happen until I installed the displaylink software.

Any progress on this?

Symonty
04-10-2012, 06:25 PM
None I have worked around it for now.

Everytime I get back to the login screen it has a screensaver appear.
I am unable to use fast user switching but if I login in to one account I can work around it.

hyperlink
06-07-2012, 05:00 PM
When I just have a 2nd monitor plugged into the macbook pro with thunderbolt, the screensaver just starts randomly. I think it's supposed to "dim" at that point but then it just goes into full screensaver. Any update on this?

phirst
06-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Just started running DisplayLink and yes I have the same issue: every so often the screen saver kicks in while working. Goes off as soon as carry on working (i.e. any keyboard/mouse input), but it's a real pain to have the screen go blank so often.

I don't want to have to not have a screen saver.

Any update / ideas ?

Macbook Pro, OSX 10.7.4, DisplayLink driver 1.8 a1

sprensky
06-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I have two external monitors running on my MacBook Pro Mid-2012 running OS 10.7.4. One through the display port and the other using the display link usb adapter. The screen saver comes on randomly, while using the mouse and keyboard. The monitors are constantly powering off and on and the one attached via the USB adapter will sometimes lose a data connection and the usb cable removed and then reinserted into the MacBook port.

I tried the DisplayLink driver 1.7 and also 1.8a1. Neither works properly. I had to revert to 1.7 to get the monitor using the USB adapter to work at all.

mooreplusone
07-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Amazing no one from displaylink has replied or issued a patch for this.

I get better support for Wordpress plugin developers...highly disappointed. Perhaps time to see if there is another vendor who will support their offering.

Bugs aren't an issue; Ignoring them is.

hyperlink
07-26-2012, 04:09 AM
I've been using it for a few hours and so far so good. I'll let you know if it happens again.

ChristianP
07-26-2012, 08:59 AM
This is a known issue with MBP with nVidia 330 or nVidia 650 (MBP 6,1, 6,2 or 9,2). Let us know if you have a different machine.
This bug seems to affect upgraded systems from a previous OSX version and not systems installed from scratch.
A possible workaround is to to remove the screen-saver settings file. The file should be located in the ~/Library/Preferences/ByHosts/ folder and named something like com.apple.screensaver.xxxx.plist. Set your screen saver preferences once again and check if this solve the issue. Some users reported that the they still see the issue even after trying this workaround.

hyperlink
08-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I've upgraded to ML and also deleted the screen saver preferences and have not experienced this since! Thank you!

Wim
10-08-2012, 11:08 AM
We have had confirmation from Apple that this was an OSX bug and should be fixed in the latest Mountain Lion update. From Apple:

We believe this issue has been addressed in OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2. The GM
version is available now. Please verify this issue and update your bug report
with the results.

OS X 10.8.2 build 12C54
Posted Date: September 19, 2012
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581

Wim

bmridul
03-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Do u know if there is an OS-X lion update for this issue.

alejandroloppez
04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I have the same "screen saver" problems, I'm using the latest drivers on a MBP Retina 15" with OS X 10.8.3.

I tried to uninstall the drivers, delete the screensaver.plist and reinstall the drivers and the problem still there.

What can I do?, thanks.

upn1541
04-23-2013, 05:15 PM
I just installed the 2.0 drivers, and have the same problem - the screensaver kicks in at random times.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.8.3 (12D78) w/all latest updates, on a MacBook Pro 15" Retina (MacBookPro10,1) Core i7, 16GB RAM, Graphics set to discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB

Any help would be appreciated!

whatever
03-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Is there a solution for 10.7 (lion) users already?
I'm using V2.0 and still screen saver goes off every couple of minutes (depending on the time I set up in the system preferences panel).

Unfortunately I don't feel like updating to 10.8; any suggestions?