PDA

View Full Version : Games crash with UM 710 and latest DisplayLink drivers

Crus
02-03-2012, 10:00 PM
I received a nanovision MiMo UM 710 7" USB monitor for my birthday in April 2010, and despite some problems with it I was quite happy using it to watch diagnostic readouts (temperatures etc.) from my PC while I was gaming. However, sometime since summer 2011 it has started to cause games to crash or not work correctly:

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky both crash on startup if any DirectX9 or 10 display mode is selected in their options file. Both worked fine over the summer of 2011 (especially July).

Mechwarrior 4 Free (the MekTek version) now lists my graphics card as unsupported, where previously (~july 2011) it worked fine.

The only thing that has changed since the summer is I've updated DisplayLink drivers to the newest (v6.1 M1) and updated nVidia drivers.

In each case once I unplug the UM710, uninstall the DisplayLink software via the control panel, and reboot, the games work perfectly again.

If I then install the DisplayLink software the games still work correctly, but once I plug the UM710 back in and windows tells me it is ready to use, the games stop working again.

The good news is that I can access the nVidia control panel around 90% of the time (up from ~10% over the summer) and the UM710 handles the system changing screen resolution (e.g. starting a game) much better, compared to over the summer.

My system specs: Windows 7 Pro x64, MSI GTX470, Iiyama E2403WS Monitor, Intel Core2Duo, ASUS Rampage Formula, 4Gb Crucial Ram, nanovision MiMo UM710 7" USB monitor.

I'm currently using DisplayLink Drivers via DisplayLink-6.1.35912.exe, and nVidia drivers 285.79. No other problems with my system.

Wim
02-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Does the system drop to basic mode with the Mimo connected?

Wim

Crus
02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
It does for a short time when I first plug the Mimo in and it's being installed, but after that it stays in aero mode (assuming that is what you were referring to)