PDA

View Full Version : 10.7.3 incompatibility?

teufeldog
02-02-2012, 12:00 AM
I just updated to 10.7.3 and upon reboot all my screens are blue, except for my DisplayLink screen which remains black. I have to unplug everything to get my MacBook Pro screen to display again. I'm then able to plug in my mini DisplayPort adapter for one monitor, but when plugging in the USB DisplayLink adapter everything goes blue again (black for DisplayLink).

Known issue?

philip
02-02-2012, 01:44 AM
SAME EXACT ISSUE!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I already posted what display link manager gave in the thread I made about this.They're going to ask you for what this http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269 output (a zip file with logs and your system information). I would do so to save the time of them asking you.

rickbdotcom
02-02-2012, 02:28 AM
Same here after upgrading to 10.7.3 today.

rickbdotcom
02-02-2012, 02:34 AM
And here's a crash log.

displaylinkmarmot
02-02-2012, 03:16 AM
10.7.3 on a 2009 24" iMac breaks displaylink on UGA-2k-A but my MiMO um-710 works fine. The monitor that was on the UGA-2k-A just keeps flickering.

Sofiaan
02-02-2012, 05:33 AM
I upgraded to 10.7.3 on my mid 2011 macbook air and have this issue, but it is slightly different on two different display link devices. Both devices are connected to displays that are rotated at 90 degrees and worked perfectly on 10.7.2.

The one that doesn't work gives me a blank screen on the display link monitor, but the status LED on the screen indicates that it is getting a signal of some sort. I see the LED on the display link adapter blinking in a very predictable pattern that repeats.

The other display link adapter (which is a higher resolution) works, but only in landscape mode. Not much good when my monitor is on its side :) . When I change the rotation to anything other than standard, I get weird patterns on the display, and there is no resolution to choose from in the display preferences window.

Thanks Phillip for posting the link to the tool. I will run it tomorrow at work. I hope there's a fix soon.

GodwinC
02-02-2012, 07:43 AM
After upgrade to 10.7.3..

However holding Command Option then press System Preference will return the rotation dropdown menu.. however it also display weird lens when switch to 90 degrees./ potrait mode.

rickbdotcom
02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Yes I should add I was also using a monitor in portrait mode. I'll have to check to see if it works in landscape.

volsk
02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Also the same issue in 10.7.3. I also had my displaylink display rotated.

Does anyone now how to reset the orientation? Maybe this helps to get the display at least working again.

ChristianP
02-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your reports.
Are you using the DisplayLink screen in a rotated mode? In case, could you please try this:
Boot without the DisplayLink adapter connected then run in a terminal:

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*

rm -f /Users/"USERNAME"/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*

This should reset your display settings.
Reconnect the DisplayLink adapter and check if the connected display is working correctly.

We are working on trying to solve the rotated mode issue.

lfalkenburg
02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
As far as I see we do not only have an rotation issue in OS X 10.7.3

Since Update I get always get only a blue background without any Icons on all my monitors if the USB VGA-Adapter is connected. It makes no difference if I boot with connected Adapter or I connect the adapter after the system is running. All I found were these protocol entries:

Feb 2 15:36:19 LF-iMac DisplayLinkManager[1370]: SCNetworkReachabilityCreateWithAddress[Pair] called with invalid address family 1
Feb 2 15:36:19 LF-iMac com.displaylink.usbnivolistener[92]: terminate called throwing an exception
Feb 2 15:36:19 LF-iMac ReportCrash[1374]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.
Feb 2 15:36:24 LF-iMac DisplayLinkManager[1385]: SCNetworkReachabilityCreateWithAddress[Pair] called with invalid address family 1
Feb 2 15:36:24 LF-iMac com.displaylink.usbnivolistener[92]: terminate called throwing an exception
Feb 2 15:36:26 LF-iMac ReportCrash[1374]: Saved crash report for DisplayLinkManager[1370] version ??? (0.3) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DisplayLinkManager_2012-02-02-153625_localhost.crash
Feb 2 15:36:26 LF-iMac ReportCrash[1374]: Removing excessive log: file://localhost/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DisplayLinkManager_2012-02-02-014601_localhost.crash
Feb 2 15:36:26 LF-iMac ReportCrash[1374]: Saved crash report for DisplayLinkManager[1385] version ??? (0.3) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DisplayLinkManager_2012-02-02-153626_localhost.crash
Feb 2 15:36:26 LF-iMac ReportCrash[1374]: Removing excessive log: file://localhost/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DisplayLinkManager_2012-02-02-014602_localhost.crash
Feb 2 15:36:27 LF-iMac DisplayLinkManager[1392]: SCNetworkReachabilityCreateWithAddress[Pair] called with invalid address family 1
Feb 2 15:36:27 LF-iMac com.displaylink.usbnivolistener[92]: terminate called throwing an exception
Feb 2 15:36:27 LF-iMac ReportCrash[1374]: Saved crash report for DisplayLinkManager[1392] version ??? (0.3) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DisplayLinkManager_2012-02-02-153627_localhost.crash
Feb 2 15:36:27 LF-iMac ReportCrash[1374]: Removing excessive log: file://localhost/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DisplayLinkManager_2012-02-02-014603_localhost.crash
Feb 2 15:36:28 LF-iMac DisplayLinkManager[1395]: SCNetworkReachabilityCreateWithAddress[Pair] called with invalid address family 1
Feb 2 15:36:28 LF-iMac com.displaylink.usbnivolistener[92]: terminate called throwing an exception
Feb 2 15:36:28 LF-iMac ReportCrash[1374]: Saved crash report for DisplayLinkManager[1395] version ??? (0.3) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DisplayLinkManager_2012-02-02-153628_localhost.crash
Feb 2 15:36:28 LF-iMac ReportCrash[1374]: Removing excessive log: file://localhost/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DisplayLinkManager_2012-02-02-014604_localhost.crash
Feb 2 15:36:29 LF-iMac DisplayLinkManager[1398]: SCNetworkReachabilityCreateWithAddress[Pair] called with invalid address family 1
Feb 2 15:36:29 LF-iMac com.displaylink.usbnivolistener[92]: terminate called throwing an exception
Feb 2 15:36:30 LF-iMac ReportCrash[1374]: Saved crash report for DisplayLinkManager[1398] version ??? (0.3) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DisplayLinkManager_2012-02-02-153630_localhost.crash
Feb 2 15:36:30 LF-iMac ReportCrash[1374]: Removing excessive log: file://localhost/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DisplayLinkManager_2012-02-02-014605_localhost.crash
Feb 2 15:36:30 LF-iMac DisplayLinkManager[1401]: SCNetworkReachabilityCreateWithAddress[Pair] called with invalid address family 1
Feb 2 15:36:30 LF-iMac com.displaylink.usbnivolistener[92]: terminate called throwing an exception

Regards Lutz

ChristianP
02-02-2012, 03:35 PM
As far as I see we do not only have an rotation issue in OS X 10.7.3

Since Update I get always get only a blue background without any Icons on all my monitors if the USB VGA-Adapter is connected. It makes no difference if I boot with connected Adapter or I connect the adapter after the system is running. All I found were these protocol entries:

Regards Lutz

Thanks Lutz for your report. The entries are related to a crash of the DisplayLinkManager process. We are able to reproduce this issue, but the problem seems somehow related to the rotated modes. Do you remember if you were using a rotated mode before upgrading to 10.7.3? If you set a rotated mode before upgrading, the OS tries to apply the same setting any time you connect the DisplayLink adapter, causing the issue. Thanks

lfalkenburg
02-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks Lutz for your report. The entries are related to a crash of the DisplayLinkManager process. We are able to reproduce this issue, but the problem seems somehow related to the rotated modes. Do you remember if you were using a rotated mode before upgrading to 10.7.3? If you set a rotated mode before upgrading, the OS tries to apply the same setting any time you connect the DisplayLink adapter, causing the issue. Thanks

Ah, I see. I have a HP Pivot Display (2 of them but one connected using your Adapter). Usually the rotation change automatically if I tilt my display, so, yes, I think I am using rotation. =) Thats probably why I still got the issue after deleting the display setting because the Display was still tilted. So I will wait till you fix the driver - is there any eta?

Regards Lutz

Sofiaan
02-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for your reports.
Are you using the DisplayLink screen in a rotated mode? In case, could you please try this:

Reconnect the DisplayLink adapter and check if the connected display is working correctly.

Thanks for your rapid response to this issue Christian. However, deleting the plists doesn't work for me on my monitor at work. I can't get to the preferences to reset the rotation, because I get blue screens on my working displays.

Is there another rotation setting that gets cached somewhere? It worked on my other monitor at home, but that was running a higher resolution with a different brand display link adapter. The one that's failing is the encore electronics brand model ENMUV rev 2.

Attaching the output of the "display link information" software report.

chaz4070
02-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone. I'm having the same issue. Two display link adapters in portrait mode. Neither work when rotated. They do come on when in "standard" orientation, however, I'm also seeing my Dock use 100% CPU when I have the displaylink adapters plugged in. I have repeatedly force quit the Dock from Activity Monitor and it immediately respawns at the high usage rate until I unplug the display link adapter and force quit it again.

It is very noticeable for me as I have a 13" MBP and the fan gets really loud when the CPU is under load.

I'm curious as to why I can't seem to find any info regarding the 10.7.3 update on the Mac page on the DisplayLink website. Shame on me for not holding off on the update I suppose but I would think the DisplayLink folks would be using the developer releases to test the software and could post notices like: "Current users using DisplayLink software on 10.7.2 on rotated monitors may want to hold off on the 10.7.3 update until we release a new driver".

My current setup doesn't have space for landscaped monitors so right now my extra two 20" along with their display link adapters are of no use.

I would appreciate an update on the timeline of the anticipated fix please.

philip
02-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks for your reports.

Yes my display was rotated no this did not fix my issue, I added in the user name . Am I not supposed to use the asterisk?

Would love to have my third monitor back.

EntroX
02-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Yes my display was rotated no this did not fix my issue, I added in the user name . Am I not supposed to use the asterisk?

Would love to have my third monitor back.

Just finished installing 10.7.3 and immediately after rebooting i started having the exact same issue, rotated 3rd display, even after trying the suggested commands on Terminal it was still exactly the same.

Edit: forgot to give some info, 3rd screen rotated on a MacBook Pro (Early 2011).

chris79
02-02-2012, 06:55 PM
just here to be counted...

same problem with 180° rotated 3rd display on 27" iMac (Mid 2010).

Jim Bauer
02-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Count me too - 27" iMac mid 2011

zerohalo
02-02-2012, 08:56 PM
same here, rotated display - I can see the displaylink process dying, respawning and triggering crash reporting.

falcom
02-02-2012, 09:16 PM
I have two rotated displays and have the same issue as others after having upgraded to 10.7.3. I've tried deleting the files:

and restarting, and still have the same issue. I've also tried this in conjunction with reinstalling the display link software but still no go. While waiting for the bug fix it would be great to at least get things working in non-rotated mode if there is some other suggestion as to how to do this.

thanks,

Mark

Sofiaan
02-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Are there any updates on this issue's resolution? I have been staring at a blank screen all day.

philip
02-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Not to sound harsh... but it seems like the DisplayLink for Mac team doesn't have a developer's build to test on and will only know once the build is live...

Is this true or is that too personal? I don't mean it to be, I'm sure a fix will be coming as soon as possible.

Keep on Truckin'!

Mac L
02-03-2012, 02:15 AM
Wow, I am really re-thinking this whole DisplayLink thing. Can't work like this.

rickbdotcom
02-03-2012, 03:56 AM
Not to sound harsh... but it seems like the DisplayLink for Mac team doesn't have a developer's build to test on and will only know once the build is live...

Is this true or is that too personal? I don't mean it to be, I'm sure a fix will be coming as soon as possible.

Yeah honestly I was thinking the same thing, but was keeping it to myself since that's not really helpful. Maybe they had a dev seed but didn't think to test on a rotatable monitor or have one that reproduced the bug. I remember fixing a bug one time that involved a game being flipped upside on certain videos cards and had no idea until I happened to get a configuration that would replicate it and figure out what was going on. Programming is complicated especially when it's low level and depends on the vagaries of the OS maker. Sounds like they're on the ball now though.

If I had happened to have been running a dev seed I could have let them know about it earlier, but I tend to stay away from OS betas since I don't have the time to test the OS for Apple.

Carlo
02-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Yeah honestly I was thinking the same thing, but was keeping it to myself since that's not really helpful. Maybe they had a dev seed but didn't think to test on a rotatable monitor or have one that reproduced the bug. I remember fixing a bug one time that involved a game being flipped upside on certain videos cards and had no idea until I happened to get a configuration that would replicate it and figure out what was going on. Programming is complicated especially when it's low level and depends on the vagaries of the OS maker. Sounds like they're on the ball now though.

If I had happened to have been running a dev seed I could have let them know about it earlier, but I tend to stay away from OS betas since I don't have the time to test the OS for Apple.

This is very close to what happened, good insight.
But first things first: please continue to keep the feedback coming, even criticism. We make Mac drivers for Mac users and are Mac users ourselves: we know what is the expected user experience.

We don't test thoroughly every developer drop but we do try them, the level of testing depends on the perceived risk in the update. It would be great to have a decent change log with the OS updates from Apple but we live on Earth in 2012 so that's not possible.

In the meanwhile my rotated screen is black: have to fix this issue quickly! Hopefully it will be possible, it's likely that Apple does not test much with rotation now that they have removed the option from the standard interface and don't sell any displays that can be rotated.

nejec
02-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Just updated MBP13(2010) to 10.7.3 and connecting two displaylink adapters just makes default screen + external LCD blue and stays so for ages.

Here is what I found:
- unplugging USB displaylink adapter does NOT fix the issue and external LCD and MBP monitor stay blue. Unplugging external LCD fix the issue blue screen issue, not the displaylink issue.
- reinstalling drivers do not fix the issue
- removing files (sudo rm, etc.) does not fix the issue
- applying combo update to 10.7.3 does not fix the issue

I am pretty much stuck with one external monitor now (although I usually use 3: 2 on displaylink adapters and 1 on mini DisplayPort)

Any additional hints?

Sofiaan
02-03-2012, 04:33 PM
But first things first: please continue to keep the feedback coming, even criticism. We make Mac drivers for Mac users and are Mac users ourselves: we know what is the expected user experience.

We don't test thoroughly every developer drop but we do try them, the level of testing depends on the perceived risk in the update. It would be great to have a decent change log with the OS updates from Apple but we live on Earth in 2012 so that's not possible.

In the meanwhile my rotated screen is black: have to fix this issue quickly! Hopefully it will be possible, it's likely that Apple does not test much with rotation now that they have removed the option from the standard interface and don't sell any displays that can be rotated.

It's too bad you didn't test on your rotated display :( but thank you for looking at it now. Some more detailed information for you if it helps: I have a "pluggable" brand at home connected to a DELL 2005FPW. The amazon description of the displaylink card is "Plugable UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI Adapter for Multiple Monitors up to 2048x1152 / 1920x1200 Each (DisplayLink DL-195 Chipset)". Sorry, I left it at home so I don't have the part number. However, that one works in standard/landscape mode on the dell display running at 1050x1680. I can even switch to rotate mode, without the other screens getting stuck blue, but the displaylink display shows some weird patterns which looks like a corrupted signal on the screen and the list of resolutions are completely blank in the display preference options (when rotated). When I rotate back to standard mode, I see the resolutions again and I have a working display in standard/landscape mode.

However, my NEC LCD2070 display at the office, doesn't work in any mode, but I am using a different displaylink device. I can't get past the blue screens but my keyboard is probably working, only if there was something I could type into terminal to fix it while it was like that. I thought blue screens only happened with Microsoft ;) . That display was running at 1200x1600 with the aforementioned device by Encore Electronics "ENMUV rev 2". Oh, and I can connected the ENMUV to my mac without any display plugged into the dvi connector, and it doesn't cause the stuck blue screens. Plugging the DVI connector in afterwards triggers a display detection, then the encore LED turns off - looks like it died and doesn't come back. Plugging and unplugging the DVI connector after that has no effect. I have already uploaded my log files, but I can do some more stuff if it helps. Please let me know!

rmhayler
02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Have a DELL2408 in portrait mode and same problem after upgrading to 10.7.3.

Tried all the suggestions in this forum but nothing works. Have uninstalled the driver and now waiting for someone to release an update or suggest a workaround.

Pretty gutted as I literally just bought my DisplayLink less than a week ago and have been loving the experience of having two additional monitors attached to my mid 2010 27" iMac.

rickbdotcom
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Some people seem to be having issues with the 10.7.3 delta update. Has anyone tried the combo update to see if that makes any difference?

philip
02-03-2012, 08:17 PM

I like this response a lot!!! :D

philip
02-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Some people seem to be having issues with the 10.7.3 delta update. Has anyone tried the combo update to see if that makes any difference?

The delta created a situation where people wouldn't even be worrying about their displays, but why NONE of their apps are working and crashing instantly. I think it's safe to assume that the people reporting issues here are fully functional accept for a black screen display or two.

Sofiaan
02-03-2012, 09:33 PM

I used the software update feature. However, I will try the combo update tonight. Right now, I can't risk screwing up my machine any more at work :)

The delta created a situation where people wouldn't even be worrying about their displays, but why NONE of their apps are working and crashing instantly. I think it's safe to assume that the people reporting issues here are fully functional accept for a black screen display or two.

Yeah, those poor guys had some major issues with their update. I suppose I shouldn't complain much because everything else works perfectly (as far as I can tell) except for my blank screen.

rickbdotcom
02-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah I consider it unlikely it would make any difference, but you never know.

jayjanssen
02-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Same here. I was fine with 10.7.3, until I decided to see how Rotation would look with my two displays (one of which is a displaylink). I had to uninstall my Displaylink driver before I could plug my USB back in again.

Wouldn't be quite so frustrating if there was a way to reset whatever setting got set.

Sofiaan
02-04-2012, 07:03 PM
I was pleasantly surprised when I restored using a thumb drive I made from InstallESD.dmg downloaded from Apple for my MBA. The version I restored to was 10.7.2 and I'm really pleased the restore version isn't higher. All my data/apps are still loaded up and my display is working again at 90 degrees. Woohoo!!

Backups are fully automated now :)

I will update again to 10.7.3 when this issue has been resolved.

katlemons
02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi!
I just updated to 10.7.3 last night and when I came into work this morning, my Vizio HDTV that I'm using as a monitor through HDMI (Aluratek USB to HDMI 1080p adapter) has blue screen.

I don't even know where the rotation settings are and my macbook is brand new (got it 3 weeks ago) so I'm pretty certain I'm not in rotated mode.

Can you think of ANYTHING else for me to try? I have all of amy cables (USB, Ethernet, Power) connected to a dock but if I can't use the external monitor, I can't use the dock and therefore I have to try to unscrew all the cables from the henge dock.

ANY Help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kat

EntroX
02-06-2012, 04:54 PM
any chance we can get an update on this subject?

chaz4070
02-06-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm going to ask again what I asked on page 2 of this thread...

"I'm curious as to why I can't seem to find any info regarding the 10.7.3 update on the Mac page on the DisplayLink website.

Shame on me for not holding off on the update I suppose but I would think the DisplayLink folks would be using the developer releases to test the software and could post notices like: "Current users using DisplayLink software on 10.7.2 on rotated monitors may want to hold off on the 10.7.3 update until we release a new driver".

Are we really gonna have to check forums each time there is an update to the OS if we rely on displaylink software?

ChristianP
02-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Here follows an alternative way for resetting the display preferences:

1. Remove the DisplayLink adapter
2. Boot in safe mode (pressing and holding the shift key after the startup tone, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455)
3. Just open the Display preferences in system preferences (not sure this is needed)
4. Reboot
5. Connect your DisplayLink adapter. The rotation should be back to standard.

Hope to have good news soon.

katlemons
02-06-2012, 06:23 PM
But what if you're not in rotated mode?

And do we follow the steps above just on the mac display since the USB display isn't working?

Thanks!
Kat

Sofiaan
02-06-2012, 06:45 PM
But what if you're not in rotated mode?

And do we follow the steps above just on the mac display since the USB display isn't working?

Thanks!
Kat

I think what Christian was trying to say is that booting in safe mode and opening up the display prefs, should reset all displays back to their default settings.

I can't vouch for this method however, because I just restored from Apple to 10.7.2 (this was the version preinstalled on my Macbook Air mid 2011). All of my apps/docs/preferences and even my virtual machine was preserved, and my display is working again in rotate mode. I made many backups before restoring, since I figured I'd be starting from a blank slate, but that wasn't the case thankfully.

I agree with chaz4070: There really should be a disclaimer on the DisplayLink homepage for Mac Support warning people not to upgrade to 10.7.3 until this issue has been resolved. It would save a lot of people a lot of time. This is already the 4th most viewed mac related thread on this forum ever with 2500+ views.

Jesse W
02-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Is there a way we can be notified when updated drivers are available? I should have checked the forums here before upgrading to 10.7.3. I'm now out a display.

Sofiaan
02-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Is there a way we can be notified when updated drivers are available? I should have checked the forums here before upgrading to 10.7.3. I'm now out a display.

Hopefully this thread will be the first place where we find out about a fix. You could subscribe to this thread using the "thread tools" menu and get notified when there's an update. It would be nice if there was a better way.

Triptoph
02-06-2012, 06:57 PM

Yes, I used the combo update, and have the same symptoms described here when the DisplayLink adapter is plugged in attached to my rotated display (which was set to rotated mode before the update): I get a blue screen on my MBP 15" late 2011, and on my external landscape-mode display connected via direct displayport connection, while the 3rd rotated display connected to the DisplayLink adapter remains black.

Good luck DisplayLink team with this one. I appreciate the openness displayed on this thread about the difficulty involved with lack of info from Apple etc.; that's refreshing to see! Cheers.

AppleMacGenius
02-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I think we have gone as far as we can go.

The rebooting while holding shift and then opening System pref/display worked to get my system back to 3 monitors..

I will wait to see if something comes out this week... crossing figures since I rely on 3 monitors to work.

rjimenez
02-06-2012, 08:35 PM

2. Boot in safe mode (pressing and holding the shift key after the startup tone, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455)
3. Just open the Display preferences in system preferences (not sure this is needed)
4. Reboot

I had had done everything mentioned in this post. These steps work for me. I have again my two displaylink managed monitors (no rotation). This helps for the moment.

thanks

thanks

lfalkenburg
02-06-2012, 11:10 PM
I had had done everything mentioned in this post. These steps work for me. I have again my two displaylink managed monitors (no rotation). This helps for the moment.

thanks

thanks

Useless for me, I need rotation. So will there be a fix in the near future or shall I switch to a new iMac with to miniDisplayPort-adapters?!

katlemons
02-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Sorry All! I still need some help!

I'm very new to using a DisplayLink product. 5 days ago I got my new macbook set up in a hengedock and connecting through a USB to HDMI adapter. Worked great. I've never set up any rotation. I was using the HDMI display as my "main display" since the macbook was closed and in the dock.

Now all I get is "no signal" on my display when I connect it through the USB adapter. I've booted in safe mode (at least I think it's safe mode all though it doesn't say). Ive opened up system pref/displays. There is nothing there to change.... No place to "restore defaults" so then I just close display preferences and reboot into normal mode, but I still get "No signal".

Anybody have any ideas? I'm a teacher and EVERYTHING i use in class everyday is connected to the dock, so If I don't have a display, I can use any of my other technology.

THANKS for any suggestions....

Kat

Sofiaan
02-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Sorry All! I still need some help!

I'm very new to using a DisplayLink product. 5 days ago I got my new macbook set up in a hengedock and connecting through a USB to HDMI adapter. Worked great. I've never set up any rotation. I was using the HDMI display as my "main display" since the macbook was closed and in the dock.

Now all I get is "no signal" on my display when I connect it through the USB adapter. I've booted in safe mode (at least I think it's safe mode all though it doesn't say). Ive opened up system pref/displays. There is nothing there to change.... No place to "restore defaults" so then I just close display preferences and reboot into normal mode, but I still get "No signal".

Anybody have any ideas? I'm a teacher and EVERYTHING i use in class everyday is connected to the dock, so If I don't have a display, I can use any of my other technology.

THANKS for any suggestions....

Kat

I don't want to waste your time, but have you tried connecting the display link device directly to your mac, without the hengedock? It might be worthwhile making your config as simple as possible until it's working, then add the dock and troubleshoot more if necessary. Good luck!

codefingers
02-07-2012, 12:47 AM

thanks

thanks

Strangely, it doesn't work for me at all. It makes no difference. Even after the safe-boot workaround steps, my non-DL displays go blue as soon as I plug in the DL.

camgas
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
I had 10.7.2 and all worked great, and as reported here with update to 10.7.3 I only see a blue screen on my main display and flicker on the DisplayLink display. I did the trick proposed (safe mode) and all works fine but with no rotation! It's a bumper for me. I hope we will get an update to support rotation soon.

mwp
02-07-2012, 01:04 AM
All 15 of our developer workstations; iMac 27", with Apple Cinema Display (MiniDisplayPort), and Dell 21" 2007FP Monitors in Portrait/Rotated (ioGear Adapter with DisplayLink 1.7 Driver) are having the same issue.

After upgrading to 10.7.3 (Combined), the machines booted to blue screens. Our solution was to boot into Safe Mode (power on while holding shift key), then uninstall the DisplayLink 1.7 Driver. Then, on reboot, the iMacs and the Apple Cinema Display started properly; without the Dell monitors. Afterwards, we reinstalled the DisplayLink 1.7 Driver, which reset the Dell monitors back to standard landscape mode.

Unfortunately, we need the portrait/rotated modes to work properly. So while we're now able to boot the machines properly, until the DisplayLink Driver is fixed to address rotation, we're leaving them turned off.

katlemons
02-07-2012, 01:44 AM
I was thinking about that too (connecting without using the hengedock). Unfortunately I'll have to wait 'till I go to work tomorrow.

I don't think it will make a difference, since all the dock does is hold the cables in place, but your still use the same USB cables etc to connect. But you're right... it's worth a try.

Still a little jealous of the people who have gotten theirs to work at least temporarily. Are any of you using a USB adapter and trying to use it as the main display (with the macbook closed)??

Thanks!

rjimenez
02-07-2012, 07:55 AM
I was thinking about that too (connecting without using the hengedock). Unfortunately I'll have to wait 'till I go to work tomorrow.

I don't think it will make a difference, since all the dock does is hold the cables in place, but your still use the same USB cables etc to connect. But you're right... it's worth a try.

Still a little jealous of the people who have gotten theirs to work at least temporarily. Are any of you using a USB adapter and trying to use it as the main display (with the macbook closed)??

Thanks!

Yes, I use hengedock too, two DisplayLink monitors and one directly to the mini display port of the mac book pro (early 2011), the one connected to the mac minidisplay rotated.

First, I follow the step (1..5) connecting directly, i.e without the hengedock, step 6 should be installing the diplaylink driver, 7 reboot.

After that I put it into the hengedock, no problem.

I'm happy I have my three monitors back, but yes is not what I need (I need rotation capabilities)

katlemons
02-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for your help. I'm going to try those steps.

One question. Did you "uninstall" your current displayLink driver? If so, when? Before booting into Safe Mode or after?

THANKS!
Kat

katlemons
02-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks rjimenez.

That almost worked! I now can get my USB display to work connected directly to the macbook with my macbook open but when I close it and put it in the dock I get "no signal" again.

Not sure if thats a hengedock thing, since I'm just connecting to a USB adapter that is screwed into the dock. It's just weird that I got it to work last week and this week (after the update) it's not.

Kat

AppleMacGenius
02-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Wanted to see if DisplayLink has a ETA on when we can expect a patch/fix?

rjimenez
02-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks for your help. I'm going to try those steps.

One question. Did you "uninstall" your current displayLink driver? If so, when? Before booting into Safe Mode or after?

THANKS!
Kat

Yes I uninstall the driver (step 0)

mwp
02-07-2012, 08:17 PM
I recall reading in this thread.. someone mentioning that options for rotated portrait orientation in display preferences was deprecated by Apple. This is incorrect.

Rotation of screen orientation has not been deprecated and removed from OS X Lion 10.7.3. For instance, if you took a monitor (Dell 2007FP) and attached it via DVI>MiniDisplayPort Converter, the options for rotation are available and operate perfectly well.

Sofiaan
02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks rjimenez.

That almost worked! I now can get my USB display to work connected directly to the macbook with my macbook open but when I close it and put it in the dock I get "no signal" again.

Not sure if thats a hengedock thing, since I'm just connecting to a USB adapter that is screwed into the dock. It's just weird that I got it to work last week and this week (after the update) it's not.

Kat

It's possible your mac is going to sleep when you close the lid with this new update. Have you tried waking it up with an external keyboard? I heard about an app called insomniax that might do the trick if it's a sleep problem.

slantview
02-08-2012, 12:34 AM
I am seeing the same thing on Oct/2011 MBP. I had to unplug my DL monitor (DELL 22" widescreen) that I have rotated. Updated with the combined update and was blue screening.

After unplugging the DL adapter I am down to just my 27" Apple Cinema Display. Would like to get this resolved as well.

photobyjosh
02-08-2012, 03:51 AM
I've tried this on both my latest Macbook Air and my Mac Pro.
Everything seemed to work fine when I used my Diamond USB display adapter pro (BVU195) with OS X 10.7.2 and Displaylink driver 1.7.

It no longer works after upgrading to OS X 10.7.3. No longer works as in the screen turns blue on the main monitor and nothing appears on the other monitor. I have to end up restarting the computer after unplugging the adapter.

Any suggestions? Know if a new beta driver is coming out that's compatible with the latest OS X? Thanks!

fixbone
02-08-2012, 09:36 AM
same issue with plugable adapter
just upgraded to 10.7.3 and driver 1.7 won't work

richkahn
02-08-2012, 11:40 AM

4. Reboot

I tried these and every other suggestion from DisplayLink guys and I still can't use the DisplayLink adapters. I have 3 screens connected to the adapters, one is rotated 90 degrees and my main screen plugged directly into my MAC. At this point, if I can use 2 of my non-rotated DisplayLink screens I would be happy until the fix is out.

No matter what I do, when I plug in my display link adapters I get a blue screen on my main screen...and nothing else shows up. If I unplug my main screen and plug it back in, it comes up, but the side screens do not work.

Any thoughts??

chaz4070
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Both of my screens are rotated so I haven't tried this but has anyone that doesn't have a rotated screen tried an NVRam reset (more widely known as PRAM)? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

I would unplug the adapter, reset the NVRam and then plug in the adapter.

Resetting NVRam usually clears resolution settings and I'm thinking its worth a shot.

To the DisplayLink Team: I'm still very disappointed that you cannot be bothered to update the Mac software page to exercise caution when updating due to some known issues. I think it is ridiculous that people would have to come to the forum and research this. My $.02

philip
02-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Both of my screens are rotated so I haven't tried this but has anyone that doesn't have a rotated screen tried an NVRam reset (more widely known as PRAM)? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

I would unplug the adapter, reset the NVRam and then plug in the adapter.

Resetting NVRam usually clears resolution settings and I'm thinking its worth a shot.

To the DisplayLink Team: I'm still very disappointed that you cannot be bothered to update the Mac software page to exercise caution when updating due to some known issues. I think it is ridiculous that people would have to come to the forum and research this. My $.02

If only it was that simple, I've done PRAM resets and SMC resets to fix this issue to no avail. I even reinstalled lion from the recovery partition.

Sofiaan
02-09-2012, 07:37 PM
If only it was that simple, I've done PRAM resets and SMC resets to fix this issue to no avail. I even reinstalled lion from the recovery partition.

That sucks :( Did you restore lion to 10.7.2? I did that and got my display working again and rotated. At first, the screen displayed garbage, but came good after changing the settings in the display preference.

*edit* I also reinstalled the display link driver ver 1.7.

Sofiaan
02-09-2012, 09:39 PM
It looks like the DL team have put a warning message in RED next to the Mac driver download section of the site. Thank you for doing this, and hopefully that will help people who haven't updated yet. Fingers crossed a real solution is near.

chaz4070
02-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Yeah I saw they finally added a warning to the Mac page. Only took 'em a week and I know I asked at least twice in this thread for it. Better late than never I suppose.

I'm a little disheartened that the DL team hasn't posted anything in a few days - I'm getting ready to reinstall Lion again and just go to 10.7.2 - I was holding out but with no updates/ETA I don't think I want to wait any longer.

Triptoph
02-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi DisplayLink Team,

Are you guys ready to give us a rough ETA for a fix?

As a software engineer I find it easy to put myself into your shoes; the lack of openness from apple regarding these changes is frustrating. Thank you for the work.

I really need to learn to wait a few weeks before installing those damn updates! :rolleyes:

Checking back daily,

Tony

PhoenixRebourne
02-10-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure how helpful this is. I can get the DisplayLink adapter plugged in and have it be black, but I can get my other displays to display like normal. When I do this SystemUIServer is constantly consuming 1.2% of my CPU, and my Mac get's pretty hot. As soon as I unplug it, it drops down to 0%, where it probably should be, and the fans turn off as the computer quickly cools down.

To replicate:
I have a Thunderbolt-to-DVI adapter that came with my Mac and a USB-to-DVI adapter from DisplayLink. Begin with nothing plugged in. Plug in the Thunderbolt display. Plug in the DisplayLink adapter. Unplug and then replug the Thunderbolt adapter.

Maybe this has already been posted / discovered, but I thought I might as well mention it in case it hadn't.

eazywig
02-11-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm using a BVU195 to connect a 1920x1200 display in portrait mode to a mid 2010 iMac 27". After applying 10.7.3 patch I faced the problem described in this forum. All connected displays turned to blue.
Starting up the iMac in safe mode and launching display preferences resetted the orientation of the display connected to the displaylink adapter to landscape. After a newly restart the displaylink adapter can be used again, but only in landscape mode :-(.
Nevertheless thanks for posting this solution!!!

GodwinC
02-11-2012, 10:39 AM
That is the nature of USB.. it uses a lot of CPU power.

I'm not sure how helpful this is. I can get the DisplayLink adapter plugged in and have it be black, but I can get my other displays to display like normal. When I do this SystemUIServer is constantly consuming 1.2% of my CPU, and my Mac get's pretty hot. As soon as I unplug it, it drops down to 0%, where it probably should be, and the fans turn off as the computer quickly cools down.

To replicate:
I have a Thunderbolt-to-DVI adapter that came with my Mac and a USB-to-DVI adapter from DisplayLink. Begin with nothing plugged in. Plug in the Thunderbolt display. Plug in the DisplayLink adapter. Unplug and then replug the Thunderbolt adapter.

Maybe this has already been posted / discovered, but I thought I might as well mention it in case it hadn't.

displaylinker
02-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Not sure if this post helps, I'm also hoping to see a solution to this "no rotation" issue soon.

I have to use displaylink in rotated mode so all my displaylink monitors are useless right now.

Why do we have to go through this trauma every time Apple updates its OS?

creamhackered
02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Any update on this? Luckily I saw this forum post shortly after 10.7.3 was pushed live and I held off. I feel sorry for everyone else who has been left without a working display though. We need a better response to this. I have a feeling I'll be moving away from using DisplayLink adaptors in the future, the beta was bad enough but this is worse.

lfalkenburg
02-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Are there any alternatives? Each and every USB2DVI-Adapter I found on the web uses DisplayLink Drivers!

So DisplayLink has to have gotten a lot of license fees and a lot of users should have such a problem. This can't be unresolvable!

If anybody around here, reading this knows alternatives to the DisplayLink-Driver I would be glad to here from you. THX.

SilverOne
02-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Welcome all to display link, unfortunately this is all you'll get from here.

GodwinC
02-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Alternatives would use Thunderbolt and daisy chain the displays. That will be the best method since USB has bandwidth limitations.. I only use my displaylink for Terminal.. when you move say a VLC window to the Displaylink side, the CPU use rate will go up rather alarmingly (not to mention the lag).

Honestly I don't see the performance issue due to Displaylink but the problem of USB protocol. The screen rotation however is their problem.

I am just glad that Thunderbolt is coming real soon.

Are there any alternatives? Each and every USB2DVI-Adapter I found on the web uses DisplayLink Drivers!

So DisplayLink has to have gotten a lot of license fees and a lot of users should have such a problem. This can't be unresolvable!

If anybody around here, reading this knows alternatives to the DisplayLink-Driver I would be glad to here from you. THX.

fhall1
02-14-2012, 12:18 PM
I have an early 2009 iMac 24" NVidia GT120 running a Mimo 7" USB monitor in landscape before I just upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.7.3 over the weekend.

I notice the Display Preference shows no resolution numbers and no ability to rotate the display.

I have my monitors set to sleep after 20 minutes....yesterday after coming home from work, the Mimo didn't wake up properly, it was flashing colors/checkerboard/etc like it had just powered up and no system was driving it. So I unplugged it from the USB for a while...when I plugged it back in, the background image appeared briefly, then the windows I keep open on it appeared, then the background image changed to just an all gray screen but the app windows stayed visible....that's the way it's sitting now. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

AppleMacGenius
02-14-2012, 06:32 PM
I have an early 2009 iMac 24" NVidia GT120 running a Mimo 7" USB monitor in landscape before I just upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.7.3 over the weekend.

I notice the Display Preference shows no resolution numbers and no ability to rotate the display.

I have my monitors set to sleep after 20 minutes....yesterday after coming home from work, the Mimo didn't wake up properly, it was flashing colors/checkerboard/etc like it had just powered up and no system was driving it. So I unplugged it from the USB for a while...when I plugged it back in, the background image appeared briefly, then the windows I keep open on it appeared, then the background image changed to just an all gray screen but the app windows stayed visible....that's the way it's sitting now. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Option + Apple + open monitor = give you rotation option on all monitors.

jpap
02-15-2012, 05:55 AM
For what it's worth, this happened to me today after installing the 10.7.3 combined update. :(

I'm using the Plugable UGA-2K-A (DL-195) with a HP ZR24w rotated at 90deg (1200x1920), plugged into one of the USB2 ports on my Thunderbolt display. I run the latest model MBP 13".

I rely on the second rotated monitor for software development and hope an updated driver can be made available very soon. A black screen is quite discomforting...

jpap

jpap
02-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Glad to hear we're in the same boat, at least.

If there are any release candidate builds that you need testing, I'll gladly help.

The Thunderbolt display (which I now have) has a VESA mount option, and you can indeed ask the staff at an Apple Store to configure it vertically at 90deg.

The display options in System Preferences has a drop down rotation selection by default. (I recall having to use the hidden option/alt key option to enable the same thing for the DisplayLink monitor. Was this because the DL driver didn't expose rotation-capabilities to OS X?)

jpap

Carlo
02-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Time for an update.

We found that every third party Lion driver we could find has problems with rotation. Luckily for iPad-as-a-monitor users if the resolution list is just one long, when you rotate the the resolution list just disappears instead of crashing.

So at the moment could not find a good way to restore the rotation functionality. We're still trying a few ideas but nothing that we have access to in the OS has changed so have very few leads.
We're in contact with Apple and can only hope them to tell us this is a bug we can fix on our side.

chaz4070
02-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the update but I'm sure the news is not what any of us want to hear.

Now that 10.8 has been announced what is your timeline to downloading a developer copy and testing it? I'm assuming that functionally, something like displays/display preferences won't be altered much if at all from 10.7 -> 10.8 but one can hope right?

jpap
02-17-2012, 12:19 AM
That is actually great news, Carlo!

How about an interim workaround whereby only the highest resolution supported by the connected DisplayLink monitor is returned? That way we share the iPad-as-a-monitor single-resolution configuration and the "list length greater than one" OS X bug is not triggered?

A more elaborate workaround could be a config file where the user could select an alternate resolution. e.g. A list of resolutions is populated by the driver in a config file where the default selection is the highest resolution; the user could edit the file under sudo and select a different resolution, then reboot to enact. (I'd imagine that most users, myself included, do not change resolutions very often, if ever, after installation.)

Really missing my 90deg DisplayLink connected monitor! :-)

jpap

Time for an update.

We found that every third party Lion driver we could find has problems with rotation. Luckily for iPad-as-a-monitor users if the resolution list is just one long, when you rotate the the resolution list just disappears instead of crashing.

So at the moment could not find a good way to restore the rotation functionality. We're still trying a few ideas but nothing that we have access to in the OS has changed so have very few leads.
We're in contact with Apple and can only hope them to tell us this is a bug we can fix on our side.

Carlo
02-17-2012, 07:07 AM
How about an interim workaround whereby only the highest resolution supported by the connected DisplayLink monitor is returned? That way we share the iPad-as-a-monitor single-resolution configuration and the "list length greater than one" OS X bug is not triggered?

At the moment we're trying something a little bit more elaborate, you're describing the final resort in case we don't find anything else in terms of workarounds.
It would be best to choose the monitor's native resolution but too many monitors lie about that so probably the highest resolution is the best choice at least for digital displays.

If this is working we'll post an alpha marked with flashing red lights and alarm sounds for you to try: the last time we worked around an OS bug and the resulting beta was not working on all systems (because of another OS bug, mind you) we've been shredded to pieces in this forum.. part of the job!

Cheers
Carlo

qthatswho
02-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Hi,

I've been following events here, and tried to employ all of the workarounds posted, but had no luck. I believe there is some issue with entering Safe Mode when FileVault2 (full disk encryption) is enabled. I can't seem to get into that mode (system, just keeps rebooting after progress bar in EFI).

I can't get my second display working at all, and if I connect the DisplayLink adapter, it hoses my machine because the blue screen appears, and there's no way to get out of it (even removing DL adapter has no effect).

I'm okay with giving up rotation for now, but I really need my second display. Any other thoughts on how to reset the display prefs so that I can at least use my other display?

Thanks in advance.

Renejos
02-17-2012, 08:39 PM
I just got a DisplayLink unit to use with my new 22" screen running at 1920*1080, I works great but I was kind of disappointed with the lag on the screen, not even the mouse is moving smoothly, but as for what I have managed to read is that there has been a big decrease in performance from 10.6.x to 10.7.x.. I just wanted to hear what the status of getting a performance boost from the driver? :D

But still loving my new extra screen.. :)

jpap
02-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Fantastic, Carlo! Thanks for the update. :-) (I almost forgot that CRTs even existed; can they easily be physically mounted at 90deg?)

Looking forward to the alpha version with all the (red) bells and whistles. ;-) Feel free to PM me if you need a more gentle evaluation of the driver. I'd be glad to help out and regain use of my second display.

jpap

At the moment we're trying something a little bit more elaborate, you're describing the final resort in case we don't find anything else in terms of workarounds.
It would be best to choose the monitor's native resolution but too many monitors lie about that so probably the highest resolution is the best choice at least for digital displays.

If this is working we'll post an alpha marked with flashing red lights and alarm sounds for you to try: the last time we worked around an OS bug and the resulting beta was not working on all systems (because of another OS bug, mind you) we've been shredded to pieces in this forum.. part of the job!

Cheers
Carlo

displaylinker
02-18-2012, 05:43 AM
sadly, won't be available before the weekend? :(

productivity has gone way down this week without my second and third monitors. :(

this is pushing me to buy and install the OSX 86 hackintosh with multiple display cards so I won't ever have to rely on displaylink again! :mad:

Hophoto
02-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Upgraded.. and other than on reboot it takes about 20 sec.. to see and turn on the screen all is good.... .. not perfect.. but good... miss my 3d accel.. but can deal with it for a while.....so again..on restart.... both screens hooked to card.. come up perfect.. and the middle screen hooked to display link.. takes about 20 sec.. to recon and come on..

Med Dement

martinreed
02-20-2012, 02:39 PM
My system is a mid-2009 27" iMac with a 20" Samsung monitor in portrait (rotated) mode on the left, connected to the built-in displayport, and a 24" Benq monitor, also in portrait mode on the right, connected via an HIS Multi-View II DisplayLink adaptor.

I use the Benq/DisplayLink for all my messenger programs, so the lower performance of USB adaptors is not a problem, as it only has to display mostly static primarily textual information.

I had held off upgrading from 10.6.8 until now, because some apps and utilities that I rely on were still PowerPC only, not yet Intel or Universal, so when I finally decided to upgrade, it was straight from 10.6.8 to 10.7.3 and it was there that I found the problem with 10.7.3 and rotated displays.

I've read through all the postings on this forum, and I have similar symptoms to many other users, of a blue screen on my left and centre (built-in) screens, and flickering black on the USB-powered screen. However, I have got around the problem for the moment by moving all the messengers onto their own screen in Mission Control and leaving the USB-attached screen switched off. Not ideal, but a workaround. I'd imagine that my "DisplayLink Information" zip file will be the same as everyone else's but have attached it anyway.

I've also read on the net about the possibility of downgrading the OS from 10.7.3 to 10.7.2, and it seems to be universally considered to be a bad idea, so I will just stick with the situation I have, rather than trying to make it worse.

However, like many other posters to this forum, I would be very keen to be an alpha or beta tester for any 1.7.1 or 1.8 driver, as I am very very keen to get my third screen operational again.

displaylinker
02-21-2012, 11:46 PM
where is the alpha or beta? at this point, I'd rather have something that might work instead of not having anything?

GodwinC
02-22-2012, 06:36 AM
or get a Displayport splitter by Matrox or Atlona.. problem solved and no need for this USB display driver BS... and save some CPU power for your apps.

where is the alpha or beta? at this point, I'd rather have something that might work instead of not having anything?

Jim Bauer
02-22-2012, 11:29 PM
:confused:This might explain a lot !
http://www.gizmag.com/apple-hybrid-displayportusb-30-connector/18340/

camgas
02-23-2012, 12:09 AM
or get a Displayport splitter by Matrox or Atlona.. problem solved and no need for this USB display driver BS... and save some CPU power for your apps.

Which one did you get? They have a few options. Can you use rotation?

pomaceous76
02-23-2012, 10:43 PM
I can confirm that eazywig's method of going into safe mode and then restarting my MBA brought my AOC e1649fwu back to life, albeit in landscape mode. The one difference was that in when I was in safe mode, the AOC didn't show in Display Preferences. Therefore I wasn't able to reset the rotation back to landscape mode. It didn't seem to matter because my end result was the same as eazywig's: a working DisplayLink monitor.

Needless to say, I won't be touching portrait mode until DisplayLink figures this out.

I'm using a BVU195 to connect a 1920x1200 display in portrait mode to a mid 2010 iMac 27". After applying 10.7.3 patch I faced the problem described in this forum. All connected displays turned to blue.
Starting up the iMac in safe mode and launching display preferences resetted the orientation of the display connected to the displaylink adapter to landscape. After a newly restart the displaylink adapter can be used again, but only in landscape mode :-(.
Nevertheless thanks for posting this solution!!!

displaylinker
02-23-2012, 11:22 PM
I have tried booting into safe mode, but my Mac just stays on the boot screen with spinning wheel for hours and fan engaged. I had to shut it down due to overheating.

How long does it take for guys to enter safe mode?

Jim Bauer
02-24-2012, 12:27 AM
:confused:This might explain a lot !
http://www.gizmag.com/apple-hybrid-displayportusb-30-connector/18340/

My Samsung USB Monitor is back after Apple Software update (EFI I think)

So far I have horizontal but no vertical yet:)

pomaceous76
02-24-2012, 12:31 AM
It does take longer than booting normally, but mine only took like 3-5 minutes max.

I have tried booting into safe mode, but my Mac just stays on the boot screen with spinning wheel for hours and fan engaged. I had to shut it down due to overheating.

How long does it take for guys to enter safe mode?

Jim Bauer
02-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Not so fast --- the USB went away again when I tried to rotate 90.
Blue screen again.

wesbos
02-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Can we please get an update on this? I've been without my extra monitor for at least 3 weeks now and I'm getting frustrated without any response from DisplayLink

pablo
02-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Any update on this? I just upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7.3 thinking it was finally safe to upgrade. I really need this other monitor, but hate the thought of a restore from time machine.

GodwinC
02-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Matrox and yes it can do rotation.

Which one did you get? They have a few options. Can you use rotation?

fr4nk18
02-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi everybody ... having just bought a Displaylink adapter and since i would like to use it on a vertical monitor i would like to know if the latest drivers are stable for my configuration

osx lion 10.7.2 (not 10.7.3)
Imac 3.06 Ghz
Monitor config 1 The stock monitor 2 a Philips HD Monitor (on second Imac video out) 3 Dell Monitor vertically oriented ...

Is this config a suitable one (with no nasty side effects like the one i read about with 10.7.3 and vertical monitors ?)

thanks

francesco

jpap
02-27-2012, 05:02 AM
Francesco, you should be fine... and if not, report back in the forums.

jpap

Hi everybody ... having just bought a Displaylink adapter and since i would like to use it on a vertical monitor i would like to know if the latest drivers are stable for my configuration

osx lion 10.7.2 (not 10.7.3)
Imac 3.06 Ghz
Monitor config 1 The stock monitor 2 a Philips HD Monitor (on second Imac video out) 3 Dell Monitor vertically oriented ...

Is this config a suitable one (with no nasty side effects like the one i read about with 10.7.3 and vertical monitors ?)

thanks

francesco

jpap
02-27-2012, 05:04 AM
As we're approaching two weeks since the last very positive update, I'm sure many of us are eagerly awaiting more good news.

Is there anything you can share with us, Carlo? :)

jpap

qthatswho
02-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Workaround posted in these forums is not working for me. I think this is because I cannot get into safe mode with an encrypted disk (FileVault2). I've tried resetting PRAM (Cmd-Opt-P-R) and resetting nvram, to no avail. Any time I plug in the DisplayLink adapter, I get a blue screen, and my machine is hosed (even sleeping and waking with displays disconnected does not recover.

I really need the use of my second display, even in landscape mode. Anyone else got any suggestions for resetting display settings?

Thanks,
qthatswho

AppleMacGenius
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Workaround posted in these forums is not working for me. I think this is because I cannot get into safe mode with an encrypted disk (FileVault2). I've tried resetting PRAM (Cmd-Opt-P-R) and resetting nvram, to no avail. Any time I plug in the DisplayLink adapter, I get a blue screen, and my machine is hosed (even sleeping and waking with displays disconnected does not recover.

I really need the use of my second display, even in landscape mode. Anyone else got any suggestions for resetting display settings?

Thanks,
qthatswho

Because there is no workaround for rotating... If you read through all the posts, you will see the issue has been esculated to Apple... the driver is crashing do to a change in the graphics driver and there is nothing we can do but wait. It sucks, but that's the truth. Best thing to do if you really want a TRUE workaround is to go back to 10.7.2. This is the only work around!! If you blew up your monitor and can't get it them back follow the steps to boot with extensions off this works 100% of the time....

Hang in there folks, it doesn't look like a easy fix... :-) Displaylink is on it, I believe in these guys!!

qthatswho
02-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Actually, as I mentioned, it does not work 100% of the time. I am unable to boot with extensions off (safe mode) due to a filevault2 encrypted disk. I would be happy to employ this workaround, if it actually worked for my machine's config. I'm in a managed system environment, and have no capacity to disable FV2, so I need to find another way to reset the display settings such that rotation is not an issue.

AppleMacGenius
02-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Actually, as I mentioned, it does not work 100% of the time. I am unable to boot with extensions off (safe mode) due to a filevault2 encrypted disk. I would be happy to employ this workaround, if it actually worked for my machine's config. I'm in a managed system environment, and have no capacity to disable FV2, so I need to find another way to reset the display settings such that rotation is not an issue.

Sorry.. I missed the FileVault reference.. Try creating a user that isn't file vaulted and boot in to that person, unless you are full hard drive encrypted, then I am afraid you might be boned.. but don't quote me on that.

qthatswho
02-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Sadly, FV2 is full-disk encryption, so it seems like I'm screwed. Even uninstalling the driver, removing all prefs and re-installing seems to leave me in a hosed state.

AppleMacGenius
02-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Sadly, FV2 is full-disk encryption, so it seems like I'm screwed. Even uninstalling the driver, removing all prefs and re-installing seems to leave me in a hosed state.

Yeah, unless you can actually boot in safe mode I think you are screwed, unless Displaylink has any insight on this.. yours is a very specific environment setup.

NautiqueJeff
02-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Actually, it is not that specific. I have a mid-2009 17" MBP without FileVault in use at all and it too will not boot into Safe Mode. My issue is that I have removed the DVD drive and added an additional SSD, setting up the two SSD's in RAID-0. This causes Safe Boot not to work. I have four external monitors, all rotated, and only the one using the miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter is working. The other three (using Diamond BVU195 USB devices) cause the blue screen issue. Wish I could find a way to use them, even in portrait mode for now!

http://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/mbp.jpg

Please disregard my home office. It is obviously being renovated...

Carlo
03-06-2012, 11:51 AM
We have an Alpha release that has a prototype fix for the 10.7.3 rotation issue. You are welcome to try it but remember it's an Alpha: it has gone through very limited testing so you are going to install and use it at your own risk!
If you previously had a working rotated DisplayLink screen you can just install the new driver and the rotated screen should come back to life.

If you do try it, please post your feedback in the new 1.8 forum: http://www.displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Best regards,
Carlo

P.S. NautiqueJeff it would be great if you could post a picture of your setup working!

Jim Bauer
03-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Alpha Driver works for me !!!!!

NautiqueJeff
03-06-2012, 09:29 PM
P.S. NautiqueJeff it would be great if you could post a picture of your setup working!

Awesome!! That totally fixed mine too. I even added a fifth monitor to the mix today, and that one is working too. Great job fixing this!!

And Carlo, here's your picture!

http://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/desk.jpg

camgas
03-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Great news! Works for me! Thank you very much DisplayLink!

Carlo
03-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Brilliant, thank you for all the pictures!

Carlo

Wade
03-07-2012, 08:56 PM
1.8 (alpha) works on my Mimo UM-710. Thanks a million!

Note: I had to run the uninstaller then the installer to get it to work. Just running the installer (without the uninstaller removing the old 1.7 code) corrected the blue screen lockouts, but did not give me full functionality. I would be able to boot just fine but the UM-710 did not work. Uninstall then reinstall fixed that and now everything is fully functional.

MacGirl1985
03-08-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't have a rotated display, but the Version: 1.8a1 (36844) alpha update now allows my 3rd monitor to be used. Previously, all I got was a black screen that flickered.

Thanks Carlo for your teams hard work! :):):)

My setup:
MacBook Pro
17-inch, Mid 2009
OS 10.7.3

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB

eazywig
03-11-2012, 09:04 AM
I was using a rotated display with 1200x1920 resolution on my iMac 27 until I updated to OS X 10.7.3. By updating DisplayLink graphics software to 1.8 Alpha 1 I was able to reactivate the rotated display again :-).
Thanks alot for the update!!!

My config:
iMac 27 (Mid 2010) OS X 10.7.3
Cinema Display 27" on display port
Samsung SyncMaster 2443 rotated via USB BVU195.

Sofiaan
05-04-2012, 12:55 AM
I finally got around to updating to 10.7.3 and made sure I had plenty of backups beforehand. I uninstalled the old display link driver before the upgrade, and then installed the new alpha driver afterwards. Everything is working great on my two rotated display link screens. Thanks guys for the driver.