PDA

View Full Version : USB2DVI causes Flash to crash on Windows 7

SteveHodge
01-27-2012, 11:12 PM
The display link drivers really give my laptop such problems that it becomes almost usable
It is a Sony Vaio VGN-P39VL, running a 1.6 ghz Atom processor with Intel GMA 500 graphics processor, and with Windows 7 professional as its operating system
My display link device is a USB2DVI device whose driver installs itself as CONV-USB2DVI when it is plugged in
The install process is to download and install the latest displaylink core software and drivers for Windows 7/32 bit, up to which the machine runs OK. However as soon as the device is plugged in (and one waits while it installs its drivers) things go badly wrong

(1) Adobe Flash - in both versions I have on the machine (DirectX and Mozilla Plug-in) - crashes as soon as I try to play flash content on a website, such BBC iplayer
(2) I get a series (usually six or more) of error messages saying the igftext module has stopped working. As near as I can see this module is something to do with the Intel video driver
(3) the displays start to run impossibly slowly
(4) the display from the USB2DVI device works sometimes but freezes up a lot. This happens really badly when I try to play video in WMP or a third party player

All of these symptoms go away if I uninstall the displaylink software, which, by the way, can only be done by using the end user clean-up utilty from the displaylink website. Windows 7 uninstall does not work

When the USB2DVI is installed I can get through all the tests laid out in the sticky post at the top of this forum, and they all come up OK

A relevant data point is that for a year or so the USB2DVI sort of worked, although i got a lot of igftext error messages. It did not however cause crashes of Flash or slow down the machine very much (it did slow it somewhat). Something in the latest displaylink driver updates or the latest Flash updates or maybe the Windows updates has really blown things up. I did re-install an older version of displaylink (5.6.x.x) and still got the same problems.

Clearly however it is not right and almost certainly never was right, and I am inclined to give up on it. Can anyone help?