PDA

View Full Version : Windows Multiploint Server does not work

circlecomputers
01-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Hi

I'm having some issues with diplaylink WMS driverswhich appears to relate to to the software attempting to to connect to the windows update server and failing.

Installation of the WMS software works fine, the LED on the device comes on during the installation but I'm asked to reboot for the secondary display to become active.

Once rebooted I return to maintenance mode and can identify the Kesington Display link devices in Device Manager, the seem to have the correct hardware IDs.

I not that on logon I'm toile the Windows Update server could not be contacted although there are no network issues and manually updating is fine.

The LED on the display lin devices never on after the intial install and secondary monitors are not shown in the display properties.

I have run the debug toll and attach the ZIP output from this.

Just finally, I have had the same diplay link devices working on another WMS server but am in the process of trying to move across to a more 'robust' server host based on a Dell PowerEdge 830 server.

Thanks

Gary

Wim
01-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I think the Windows update message is spurious, and the reason this is not working is due to your primary graphics card:

Graphics: XGI Volari Z7 v1.10.01h_Dell (XGI)
Graphics Driver: 6.14.10.1100 Dated 2008-05-15

This should be a high end Intel, AMD or NVIDIA graphics card for WMS. DisplayLink don't support this graphics card and is not a WDDM driver (which we require). See the recommendations here:

http://www.displaylink.com/zero_client/wmshowto.php

Wim

circlecomputers
01-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Hi

I suspected that was going to be the case, I do not quite understand why display link product are dependant on the hosts graphics card.

Is that true for other DisplayLink based Zero client devices or just the USB graphics cards?

So if I can find a graphics card on the registered list which has the correct bus for my server then I should be able to get things working.

Regards

Gary

circlecomputers
01-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Hi

The only non-integrated graphics card that is recommended is the ATI Radeon 4200 range, which seems to have been discontinued, you can't even buy one on ATI's shop.

If I get a higer model of Radeon is that going to work or does the card just have to have WDDM driver to work?

Thanks

Gary

Wim
01-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Hi

The only non-integrated graphics card that is recommended is the ATI Radeon 4200 range, which seems to have been discontinued, you can't even buy one on ATI's shop.

If I get a higer model of Radeon is that going to work or does the card just have to have WDDM driver to work?

Good point. We should update that page, which I have now done. In general as long as it has a WDDM graphics driver (which any Intel/AMD/NVIDIA card released during Windows 7 lifetime should have) will work. But the higher end and faster the graphics card, the better performance you will get for your USB zero clients.

Wim