PDA

View Full Version : Lock screen freezes

jiolasa
01-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Once I upgraded to Lion, any time I'm at the lock screen (where it shows me my users on a textured backround), it'll freeze as soon as I click my user. If I sleep my computer and then revive it, it'll give me a few more seconds, during which I click the user again and frantically type the password, and then it usually freezes again right around when I hit return. Usually sleeping and reviving the computer one more time will allow it to complete the unlock and then I'm at my desktop where everything works fine.

I believe this was discussed and, seemingly, not resolved while it was still in beta, but this conversation thread about it (http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1048) is closed.

I'm on Lion with an iMac, and I don't have any drag-and-drop or login issues like other people have reported, just this one.

Any ideas?

ChristianP
01-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Are you able to login if you disconnect the DisplayLink adapter or do you experience the issue even not connecting the adapter? If you can login, could you please use the debug tool here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269 and post the output file? Thanks

brianpartridge
01-09-2012, 04:41 PM
ChristianP, I have the exact same problem. If I unplug the display link adapter then the lock screen no longer has any issues. Attached is the requested information from running the debug tool.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the latest driver today from the web to ensure that I had the latest version.

Another issue that I've noticed is that after first booting my mac, the display link monitor doesn't get detected right away, it is blank for up to 30 seconds after logging in. In fact, I think the display link driver is delaying execution of my user's Login Items. This is made evident because I don't see apps like Dropbox or Alfred become available until the display link monitor has been detected. Any thoughts on this?

jiolasa
01-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Hey Christian,
If I unplug the adapter, I can go to the lock screen and login without a problem.

I've attached the DisplayLink Information generated by the diagnostics tool.

I don't think I'm having the same login problem as brian, but I'll try to check it out next time I reboot.

Thanks!

*edit* I ran the diagnostic tool with the displaylink adapter not attached. Let me know if I should re-run it with it attached.

jiolasa
01-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Christian, a quick update: I left my computer locked overnight with the USB adapter unplugged. When I came in this morning, it was locked up on the screensaver; when I slept and awoke it, I had the same login trouble I always have, even though the adapter wasn't plugged in. So.. there's even more complication...

bmbartlett
01-10-2012, 09:36 PM
As far as I've been able to tell, the system is active, it just won't flip to the active screens.

Disconnect the USB display, and within seconds, the desktop will rotate into view, and I can plug the display back in.

Relevant info:

OS X 10.7.2
Macbook Pro 17" Radeon 6750M Set to discreet only.

I also have Parallels 7 installed, and the issue seems worse when it is running.

jiolasa
01-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Bmbartlett, you're absolutely right. I dumped out to the lock screen, started typing and got it to lock up, and then got the spinning rainbow pinwheel; I unplugged the USB adapter and it un-froze, the Core Animation rotate effect happened, and I was into my computer without a problem.

Good looking out. Still broken, but at least we have a better idea of the problem.

I don't have Parallels or any other VM, if that's pertinent to whoever fixes this.

ChristianP
01-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Ok, thanks for the new information and the logs. We will analyse the logs and try to replicate the issue. I let you know as soon as we have updates or if we need some more info. Thanks

Dan Richelson
01-18-2012, 06:06 PM
MacBook Pro Mid 2010. All is ok except for lock screen issue. Please let me know what the status of this issue is since I may return the product if a fix is not on the way shortly.

dm33
01-26-2012, 05:00 AM
Any update or progress on these issues?

I've been using displaylink for years on my Mac(s) without problem. Since the Lion release in July 2011 I haven't been able to use my displaylink adapters at all. I figured a few weeks, maybe a month or two, but going on 6 months and it still doesn't work?

I have major issues with Lion hanging at the login screen as detailed in this thread. Also when switching userids and trying to back back to the previous id.

I always have to give up. The instability isn't worth it to me. There have been times that unplugging the adapter does not work and I have to do a hard power off potentially losing what I was working on.

Please raise the priority on fixing these issues. There should be a beta build available more frequently. It seems that no one is working making display link work on Lion. Or best case, they're waiting on Apple. In any half a year is too long. There was a Lion beta available for months that should have been used for testing as well.

esteiner
02-08-2012, 02:48 PM
No change after upgrading to 10.7.3 problem started in 10.7.2

All was working fine on 10.7.2 until returning from a meeting and I entered my password on login screen. Beachball hang then when the laptop finally returned the displaylink was no longer working.

Symptom also shows no LED light on the front of the Kensington Displaylink dock. If I unplug the USB cable the LED returns.

See attached file.

Thank You

brianpartridge
02-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Any update on this issue? Even just an inkling that the issue has been identified would be nice. I'd really like to be able to lock my laptop rather than shutdowns and booting.

I can't recommend DisplayLink adapters to my coworkers if it doesn't work properly with Lion.

esteiner
02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
I called Kensington support today and they told me the fix was to disconnect my keyboard, mouse, printer and monitor and connect them directly to the laptop. When I asserted that this was not a fix at all they put me on hold.

I was escalated to their Tier 3 Technical support and the gentleman that did answer the phone was great at acknowledging that there is an issue that DisplayLink is working on. There is no current time estimate for the fix and that they would post an update on their website to help keep everyone "in the Know"

So basically, still waiting....

eugeny
02-24-2012, 11:09 PM
my lock screen unfreeze if I adjust brightness using F1 or F2

slantview
01-18-2013, 10:47 PM
I have all the same problems and both the unplugging and brightness adjustment work for me. Can we please get this issue fixed, it's extremely frustrating.