PDA

View Full Version : Installing Win-XP software on Win7 system?

tomsheeley
01-05-2012, 11:26 PM
I am currently running a Dell Poweredge T100 with a quad xeon processor, 8 gb ram with Win 7 Pro. I want to use this with my HDMI display.

Since the system does NOT have a PCI-e slot, I need an external video card/driver to get the HDMI output. I got the Display Link usb adapter for this.

It works using my laptop ( Dell Latitude w/ 4gb running Win XP ), but I can't get it to work on the system I need it to work on.

The Faq says that the XP software doesn't need a good graphics card, but that the Win 7 software does... so is it possible to install the Win XP software on my Win 7 system?

I would HATE to have to return this!

Thanks for a swift responce in advance!

Wim
01-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Windows Vista and 7 need to have a primary graphics card installed for DisplayLink. This is because on these operating systems, we need the GPU to render the desktop. Its not possible just to use the XP drivers, as XP had a completely different graphics architecture.

I'm afraid you're going to need a primary graphics card on this system to use DisplayLink

Wim

tomsheeley
01-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Damn.. then I will need to return it. I was so hoping that this would solve my problem. The system is the best I have, and I can't afford to get another one that lets me add a GPU card. If it allowed me to have a graphices card, then I wouldn't need the DisplayLink USB adapter!

Thanks for your swift reply anyway!

Tom