PDA

View Full Version : usb devices on windows 7

lifej
01-03-2012, 06:04 PM
these devices never came with any documentation so I don't really know what is what. Some of it is displaylink, some of it is vi-book. I bought these maybe 4 years ago. I have been using them successfully on my xp computer. now I just got a new W7 computer. It has a nvidia graphics card GT530.

When I put on the software that I had i got it all to work to where the mouse moved, and i could even drag windows around, but they would remain inaccessible.

Now, I'm not real computer knowledgeable, so first I guess I need to even identify what is what - whats the device called, which version number?

then my two pieces of software - one is the driver dor the usb device - that's probably the displaylink part? what's that driver likely to be called, so I can identify what I have.
the other is some extra desktop managing software , i guess - that is probably from villagetronic?

and then I need to make sure i have the latest software and driver, and for that matter, that these devices WILL work on a W7 64 bit computer

Sorry I don't understand how to navigate this forum, I hope I can even figure out how to look up responses, but perhaps someone would be kind enough to send an e-mail to lifej@mcn.org that they have responded

Jimmyburkitt
01-10-2012, 11:26 PM
It kinda sounds like my problam, i cant get any info anywhere to fix it, have you figured it out yet?

lifej
01-11-2012, 04:30 AM
yes, updating seems to have fixed it, for my w7 machine this means displaylink 6.1.35667 and vtmultidisplay 3.0.7 en x64. There are other problems, though, but they don't seem to really affect functionality. for instance I believe there is a conflict between this stuff and the nvidia control panel. I can typically not access it, but since I can do most of what I need to dso from within vibook and windows control panel its no big deal. The only thing which is still an issue, and I may choose to just live with it is resolution vs aspect ratio. The two with the vi-books adjusted themselves nicely to a lower resolution, but the two that I have hooked up to the vga and dvi directly give me a black band top and bottom to retain the aspect ratio. I changed to a much lower resolution so i dont have to use glasses. like 1200x800 on a 24". I got into the nvidia control panel, or rather, dell did remotely, and after that I still could, but computer had trouble restarting, and then repaired itself and started fine, looked like it restored itself, then reinstalled both vi-book programs. So I may just live with the black bands. While I was in the nvidia control panel it looked like there were settings to change the screen to full screen and override the aspect ratio, but they didnt work, presumably because of the conflict. But seems there must be some after-market software to fix that. it was never a problem on my old xp.