PDA

View Full Version : 2nd monitor lags when browsing

John C Arnold
01-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Starting a couple of weeks ago, possibly after a Windows update, I have a problem where the display on the second monitor does not keep up with the laptop's screen - but only when browsing. All local programs, including movies played from DVD, seem to be just fine. But anything in a browser, including IE9 and Google Chrome (whatever version is available for download this afternoon, when I tried it) lags behind by up to 10's of seconds.

I am running an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop using HP's USB port replicator to connect to a Dell M900 CRT as the second monitor. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, on Service Pack 1 (in fact, I think I saw a notice about the Service Pack installation at about the same time that the problem began). I downloaded the newest version of Displaylink two hours ago and there was no improvement.

Any ideas?

Wim
01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Please make sure you are using Windows Aero graphics mode, rather than basic graphics mode. This should solve the issue you are having.

Wim

ErikvanD
01-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Exactly the same here.

Have been running DisplayLink for more than a year now without any problem or noticable lag. But since a week or so I too experience extreme lag when browsing. My system is a late 2009 MBP with Windows 7 SP1 x64 (latest updates applied). On latest DL driver (6.1.35912). Graphics card is Nvida M9400. Aero is enabled. Monitors are two Samsung Syncmaster P2450H.

metalliqaz
06-01-2012, 06:41 PM
I have the same problem, except I have it all the time. Has there been any solution found for this?

metalliqaz
06-04-2012, 05:05 PM
First off, I'd like to thank you for ignoring my other pleas for help. Very professional.

I'm having problems with my DL-3900 based video adapter. It is very, very slow. The main issue is a choppy mouse while interacting with the GUI.

It does work. The display looks fine, but as soon as I open a web browser and start to interact with it, it slows down so much that the mouse lag renders the additional display unusable. I mean REALLY unusable. I can't reliably click on links or read mouseover pop-ups because of the extreme lag. Video is not slow and plays just fine (for example YouTube). The problem exists in all applications. It is obvious that ANY interaction that causes the computer to "think" even a tiny bit causes the mouse to hiccup and lag so much that it can't possibly be used. Move the browser to the directly connected display and all issues disappear immediately.

When Aero is enabled the problem is at its worst. I turned off Aero and it is MUCH better. Still not great, but at least usable. I tried the same adapter on a different (older) computer running XP and it works perfect there. Is there a problem with Vista?

I have tried unplugging all USB peripherals and moving it to different ports. No difference. I've updated, rebooted, reinstalled, etc.

I have also noticed that the DisplayLink drivers seem to interfere with the operation of the normal graphics card and built-in screen. For example, if I do anything that causes Windows to ask for elevated privileges, it makes the screen on all monitors go black for several seconds. This is definitely new behavior. It also goes blank after playing video games. Also, the Asus Splendid utility seems to be overridden now.

Based on my experiments with this unit, I'm pretty sure this is a software issue. Targus includes the DisplayLink drivers unmodified. You are the experts. Please advise.

I'd prefer not to use your data collection tool on my PC and then post the results on the open internet, but here are the system details:

Targus USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Dual Video Adapter
DisplayLink drivers 6.3m0
(using USB2 -> DVI)
Asus gaming series laptop
Core 2 Duo (WEI 5.0)
Windows Vista, up-to-date
GeForce GTX 260M (WEI 5.9)
Latest up-to-date graphics drivers

Wim
06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Can you take a video of the "lag" as it might give me an idea of the cause and a possible fix.

Wim

Wim
06-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Looking at the spec you have posted, it looks like there should be no issues under Vista.

I'd need the logs to see if there is anything else that stands out, and possibly a video of the lag and see if that gives any ideas.

Wim

Doublej
06-07-2012, 07:49 PM
I am trying to use the Toshiba Dynadock U3.0 with a Dell XPS13 laptop and Dell U2412 external monitor running Windows 7.

I have the setup in projector mode (i.e. displaying on the U2412 only) and I am getting cursor lag when in Firefox.

I am using the latest driver from the DisplayLink website.

Any thoughts at to why this may be occuring?

FYI this is a great improvement over using the latest Toshiba supplied driver where Firefox would not launch.

The odd thing is that Firefox Safemode works fine, yet if running not in safemode with all extensions and plug ins disabled it does not.

metalliqaz
06-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ygRydu6Vk

Wim
06-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks metalliqaz. I can see the problem. Can you post the log files, or at least the System Details.txt so we can see the machine settings.

Wim

Wim
06-08-2012, 03:24 PM
I've merged a few threads together here, as you all seem to be seeing the same issue. From metalliqaz's video I can see that the cursor lags on all the screen, not just the web browser.

We haven't seen this in test, so going to have to ask some further questions:
Do you have to have the web browser application on the screen to make this happen?
Does this happen on v6.1, 6.2 and 6.3 DisplayLink software?
Can people post their System Details.txt file from the DisplayLink debug tool to give us system information and DisplayLink device information.
Does it happen on USB 2 and USB 3 ports?

Thanks

Wim

metalliqaz
06-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Okay, a few things:

1) Without the browser, the mouse input doesn't slow down. It does hiccup a bit when I right-click and bring up a menu. It hiccups when I mouse over something that shows a tool tip. Active webpages like Google or the displaylink forums cause everything to be slow as hell. Simple web pages don't cause any problem until I mouse-over a link.

Here is another video. What you are seeing is firefox showing a very simple index page. It behaves until the mouse hits the links. Then you see the mouse get slow as it moves over the menus in Windows Notepad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLPV0hQDiqg
That is all pretty mild compared to a real website. I'm typing on the displaylink monitor now and it is just intolerable, like in the other video I posted.

2) Here is the zip file from the support tool, minus the network info.

3) I don't have USB 3.0 available on this laptop.

4) I uninstalled the 6.3 drivers and tried 6.2. Same problem.

5) The only thing I have found so far that helps is to disable Aero.

6) The displaylink drivers seem to interfere with the normal graphics drivers even when the USB adapter isn't plugged in. Videos are slow to start updating on the screen after I "click play". There is also a persistent graphics glitch on the top left corner of my primary display.

Wim
06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Just one thought... do you have "Optimize for Video" enabled in the DisplayLink GUI in the system tray? Does this option make any difference to the mouse cursor performance?

Thanks

Wim

metalliqaz
06-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I just tried it. "Optimize for video" wasn't checked. Turning it on and off doesn't seem to make a difference.

metalliqaz
06-14-2012, 03:58 AM
Okay, I've had enough. I'm contacting Targus for a refund.

The DisplayLink drivers make everything slower when they are installed, even when the USB adapter isn't even connected. That's just unacceptable guys.

I plugged the thing into a separate laptop and it was even worse than the first one! Comical how the USB screen would show the cursor and nothing else, no matter what. Just sorta smudged the mouse pointer. lol

I don't know if it is possible to fit two high-def screens through USB, but one thing is for sure, the drivers aren't ready to go. I am going to tell everyone on the Internet to stay away. The one thing I can't understand is why every customer doesn't do the exact same thing. Oh well.

Here's to waiting for a Thunderbolt display adapter, eh guys?

Doublej
06-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Below are my system details. Again my problem appears to be only with Firefox and with the latest driver update from DisplayLink Firefox has gone from unusable to cursor lag. With the previous release of the DisplayLink software Firefox in Safe mode had no issues. I am unplugged at the moment but I think they are no issues with Firefox in safe mode now.

I hope the above information is useful to your engineering department. One would expect with such detailed information that they could quickly identify the issue and remedy it.

Support Tool Version: 1.0.0.13

--------- Computer Info ---------

Computer Name: [redacted]
Logged on as: [redacted]
Computer: Dell Inc. - Dell System XPS L321X [redacted]
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (x64-based PC), Service Pack 1, English
OS Build: 7601 (Debug = False)
System Bios: Version A03 built 2012-03-13
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2467M CPU @ 1.60GHz
Number of Cores: 4
Memory: 3983 MB
Free Space: 65517 MB
Primary Resolution: 1920x1200x32
Desktop Size: 1920x1200
Number of Monitors Connected: 1
Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (Intel Corporation)
Graphics Driver: 8.15.10.2455 Dated 2011-07-19
WEI Base Score is 5.7, CPU 6.3, RAM 5.9, GPU 5.7, Gaming 6.3, Disk 7.9
Desktop Mode: Basic

Monitors Connected:
Manufacturer: CMN ProductCode: 1338 Serial: 0 Built: 48/2011
DELL U2412M Manufacturer: DEL ProductCode: A07A Serial: M2GCR22K09TL Built: 8/2012

Installed Package: DisplayLink Core Software (6.3.38355.0) on 2012-05-29 Status is Installed
Installed Package: DisplayLink Graphics (6.3.38392.0) on 2012-05-29 Status is Installed

USB3.0 Host Controller Drivers Installed:
Fresco Logic USB3.0 Host Controller (3.5.36.0) installed on 2012-04-20 Status is Installed

Connected USB Devices:
(Standard system devices) - USB Input Device
(Standard USB Host Controller) - USB Composite Device
Intel Corporation - Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) 3.0 + High Speed Adapter
TOSHIBA Corporation - dynadock U3.0
DisplayLink Corp. - DisplayLink Display Adapter (4305)
Microsoft - USB Printing Support
HP - HP LaserJet P2015 PCL6
DisplayLink - dynadock Audio
Hewlett-Packard - HP LaserJet P2015 Series EWS
DisplayLink - dynadock Ethernet
Microsoft - Integrated Webcam

DisplayLink Version: 6.3.38355.0
DisplayLink USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver: 1.23.0.0
DisplayLink USB CDC ECM Driver: 1.27.0.0
Optimize for Video: Disabled (dynadock U3.0)

--------- Nivo Info ---------

Attatched USB device(s) matching our VID:
USB\\VID_17E9&PID_4305\\10003831
USB\\VID_17E9&PID_4305&MI_00\\8&8E48F59&3&0000
USB\\VID_17E9&PID_4305&MI_01\\8&8E48F59&3&0001
USB\\VID_17E9&PID_4305&MI_02\\8&8E48F59&3&0002
USB\\VID_17E9&PID_4305&MI_05\\8&8E48F59&3&0005

Nivo's that have been attached: USB_4305-10003831^0

Hardware IDs:
USB Composite Device
USB\VID_17E9&PID_4305&REV_0015
dynadock U3.0
USB\VID_17E9&PID_4305&REV_0015&MI_00
DisplayLink Display Adapter (4305)
USB\VID_17E9&PID_4305&REV_0015&MI_01
dynadock Audio
USB\VID_17E9&PID_4305&REV_0015&MI_02
dynadock Ethernet
USB\VID_17E9&PID_4305&REV_0015&MI_05

Wim
06-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Doublej - do you get the same problem in Aero mode as well as basic? What version of Firefox are you using?

Wim

Doublej
06-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Doublej - do you get the same problem in Aero mode as well as basic? What version of Firefox are you using?

Wim

It's fixed now for me. For some reason Desktop Windows Manager was disabled on my machine. I forget exactly how I discovered this but I think I recalculated the Aero score and when it finished it brought up a troubleshooting dialog box which I then executed.

Once I enabled the Desktop Windows Manager and rebooted for good measure the problem went away. Seems to be working fine in Aero and non-Aero mode.

Thanks for your help.

guruuno
07-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Windows 7, mouse 'jumps' stalls, lags, only in IE9/Win7.
MacSales of no help, they only have DisplyLink chip, and say, 'oh well' it is what it is, and my customer says, "but I paid for these and paid you to setup and install'.

USB 2.0/USB 3.0, no difference.

Nobody to call, nobody to interact with, just keep being told to try this revision or that revision of software, exchange for different unit, etc., etc., etc.

What to do?

Wim
07-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Can you see if the same problems occur with the v7.0 Beta we have just released?

http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php

Thanks

Wim

mikeytown2
08-30-2012, 01:13 AM
There is an open bug for chrome
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=109402

Quick solution is to launch chrome with this command line argument --disable-accelerated-compositing

Andyjbee
09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I recently installed Win 7 from scratch with my Displaylink attached, all was fine with IE9 until the other day when i was prompted to update. Now I have terrible lag on second display with IE9 and during the course of the day 3 system failures with blue screen (.sys failure) to quick to get precise file name. Chrome seems to be fine, when I chose Windows Basic theme it did improve but when scrolling down pages the graphics explode into huge pixels and IE9 totaly freezes, I have installed the V7 beta but no change, I was also struggling to downgrade driver as system properties always displayed 6.3.
Any help appreciated.

revile
11-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but our IT department had to figure out this on our own last year with little to no help from Targus.

If you get browser lag on the 2nd monitor when using IE, here's your fix:
http://i.imgur.com/KZTUL.png

Make sure it's checked and poof, lag gone. As for other browsers and applications, good luck. Our fix has been to bypass the replicator and plug the VGA straight into the laptop.

Unfortunately I have to deal with these port replicators in my IT environment. The drivers are extremely flaky and often times the 2nd display will no longer work. Targus doesn't provide an extensive driver uninstaller, so literally uninstalling every USB driver is a huge PITA. I gave up and just created a base image with Norton Ghost.

davbryan
11-07-2019, 09:36 PM
I'm going to give this thread some new life.

I'm seeing some strange delays on my second monitor when I watch videos online. It's only when I go through Firefox which is version 70.0.1

Windows 10 version 1903 -- here shortly going to updating to 1909 -- once released by MS.

The issue only happens when I'm watching videos on the second monitor and I don't have That scree active. Meaning I'm watching it, but I'm actually working in a different screen. The audio does continue to play but the video either lags or just stops playing entirely. If I move my mouse over to the screen, within about 2 seconds it instantly catches up.

Seems like some kind of setting causes it to stop operating at best capacity when it's not the active Window.

I have an AMD ryzen 7 turbo up to 3.8 ghz normal is 2.6 Ghz 12 GB's of RAM. I do have USB 3.0 and it's using a 3.0 connection.

All of my drivers are updated.

Please note that if I use Windows media player the issue doesn't seem to happen at all.

I've checked Firefox settings and based on Mozilla's recommendations I'm set at what I should.

I've had the issue since the 1800 version numbers, and Firefox versions during that same time frame.

Whatever information you need I'll be happy to provide.

If I remember right my hardware isn't running overly hard when this happens either.

davbryan
11-11-2019, 10:33 PM
I'm going to give this thread some new life.

I'm seeing some strange delays on my second monitor when I watch videos online. It's only when I go through Firefox which is version 70.0.1

Windows 10 version 1903 -- here shortly going to updating to 1909 -- once released by MS.

The issue only happens when I'm watching videos on the second monitor and I don't have That scree active. Meaning I'm watching it, but I'm actually working in a different screen. The audio does continue to play but the video either lags or just stops playing entirely. If I move my mouse over to the screen, within about 2 seconds it instantly catches up.

Seems like some kind of setting causes it to stop operating at best capacity when it's not the active Window.

I have an AMD ryzen 7 turbo up to 3.8 ghz normal is 2.6 Ghz 12 GB's of RAM. I do have USB 3.0 and it's using a 3.0 connection.

All of my drivers are updated.

Please note that if I use Windows media player the issue doesn't seem to happen at all.

I've checked Firefox settings and based on Mozilla's recommendations I'm set at what I should.

I've had the issue since the 1800 version numbers, and Firefox versions during that same time frame.

Whatever information you need I'll be happy to provide.

If I remember right my hardware isn't running overly hard when this happens either.

To add more information -- according to my purchase history it looks like my version of display link is UD-3900

davbryan
11-13-2019, 02:29 PM
To add more information -- according to my purchase history it looks like my version of display link is UD-3900

From what I can tell, updating to version 1909 hasn't made any changes.

I do notice that the delay only seems to happen in Firefox. However, different sites have different issues. For example, Youtube and Netflix, although but have delays the delay is different. For Youtube it's like it gets stuck and then catches up, but is forever in a loop. For Netflix it seems as though it's more fluid but it still has issues keeping up with the player.

I've already checked Firefox's settings and it's set for max performance.

I've checked my computers resources when this is happening and it's not near max, it's about where you'd expect for the performance to be.

davbryan
11-13-2019, 03:36 PM
From what I can tell, updating to version 1909 hasn't made any changes.

I do notice that the delay only seems to happen in Firefox. However, different sites have different issues. For example, Youtube and Netflix, although but have delays the delay is different. For Youtube it's like it gets stuck and then catches up, but is forever in a loop. For Netflix it seems as though it's more fluid but it still has issues keeping up with the player.

I've already checked Firefox's settings and it's set for max performance.

I've checked my computers resources when this is happening and it's not near max, it's about where you'd expect for the performance to be.

Found this, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/upgrade-graphics-drivers-use-hardware-acceleration

I'll give this a try asap and report back what I've found.

davbryan
11-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Found this, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/upgrade-graphics-drivers-use-hardware-acceleration

I'll give this a try asap and report back what I've found.

Also found this, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1108988

This looks more promising.

davbryan
11-26-2019, 09:31 PM
Also found this, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1108988

This looks more promising.

So far it seems like this has really helped. I haven't noticed much of an increased strain on the hardware either.

Will continue testing over time and report back if anything changes.

I'm now also running on Windows 10 1909 and Firefox 70.0.1

davbryan
12-11-2019, 08:35 PM
So far it seems like this has really helped. I haven't noticed much of an increased strain on the hardware either.

Will continue testing over time and report back if anything changes.

I'm now also running on Windows 10 1909 and Firefox 70.0.1

So far everything seems to be running better. Seems odd that I had to change the default settings, but alas what can you do?

displaylinkuser123
12-13-2019, 03:39 AM
I am also having the same exact problem and it only started a few days ago. It's driving me crazy! Did the "aero" mode for graphics work for you?

displaylinkuser123
12-13-2019, 03:45 AM
Please make sure you are using Windows Aero graphics mode, rather than basic graphics mode. This should solve the issue you are having.

Wim

How do I do this? I'm experiencing the same exact issue as the original poster and it's driving me insane.

davbryan
12-13-2019, 04:36 PM
How do I do this? I'm experiencing the same exact issue as the original poster and it's driving me insane.

Here's what I've found from Googling,

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-windows-aero-windows-7.html

https://www.howtogeek.com/128630/how-to-enable-aero-glass-style-transparency-in-windows-8/

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-aero-glass-transparency-with-blur-in-windows-10/

displaylinkuser123
12-13-2019, 08:18 PM
Here's what I've found from Googling,

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-windows-aero-windows-7.html

https://www.howtogeek.com/128630/how-to-enable-aero-glass-style-transparency-in-windows-8/

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-aero-glass-transparency-with-blur-in-windows-10/

thank you - i did the third option. still no change :( this lag is soo subtle. it's so so infuriating. support hasn't responded to me for two days. any other tips you have are very much appreciated. here's the full problem:

Hello - contacted customer support about this too, but they don't respond quickly and hoping maybe someone here can help.

Since Tuesday I've had a major lag on my two monitors. It only happens when I'm browsing the web (chrome, edge, firefox... all of them). All other applications are fine.

My comoputer also is so loud when I connect it. It sounds like it is about to take flight. Everything was fine up until Tuesday!!! And yes that did coincide with a windows update, but i have no idea what was updated (i'm not the most tech savvy).

I have a Lenovo Yoga. My monitors are Acer. I have a flat displaylink dock. 3900H. I checked and my download is up to date. And my display graphics are too.

Any help would be super appreciated!!

davbryan
12-13-2019, 08:20 PM
thank you - i did the third option. still no change :( this lag is soo subtle. it's so so infuriating. support hasn't responded to me for two days. any other tips you have are very much appreciated. here's the full problem:

Hello - contacted customer support about this too, but they don't respond quickly and hoping maybe someone here can help.

Since Tuesday I've had a major lag on my two monitors. It only happens when I'm browsing the web (chrome, edge, firefox... all of them). All other applications are fine.

My comoputer also is so loud when I connect it. It sounds like it is about to take flight. Everything was fine up until Tuesday!!! And yes that did coincide with a windows update, but i have no idea what was updated (i'm not the most tech savvy).

I have a Lenovo Yoga. My monitors are Acer. I have a flat displaylink dock. 3900H. I checked and my download is up to date. And my display graphics are too.

Any help would be super appreciated!!

What's your system specs and additionally what's your resource consumption during this?

displaylinkuser123
12-14-2019, 11:42 PM
What's your system specs and additionally what's your resource consumption during this?

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga C940 operating on Windows 10
Dock: DisplayLink 3900H
Two monitors: both are Acer monitors (are there more specs to give you on that one)?
I use a microsoft keyboard and mouse that are also plugged in to the dock

Is that helpful? I can give more specifics, just LMK!

Resource consumption - is that CPU? it's 17% i think?

davbryan
12-16-2019, 04:29 PM
Laptop: Lenovo Yoga C940 operating on Windows 10
Dock: DisplayLink 3900H
Two monitors: both are Acer monitors (are there more specs to give you on that one)?
I use a microsoft keyboard and mouse that are also plugged in to the dock

Is that helpful? I can give more specifics, just LMK!

Resource consumption - is that CPU? it's 17% i think?

A detailed summary of the system as a whole, such as through msinfo32.exe or through the properties of "this pc."

Also, if you have task manager open while the issue is happening, what's the percentage level of the CPU and the Memory?