PDA

View Full Version : Problems using latest software with Kensington Universal Docking station (sd400v)

lbjandai
12-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Hi,

my dad had his computer reinstalled, and now we cant get our Kensington Universal Notebook Docking Station Displaylink to work. The keyboard and mouse attached to the docking station device work with the notebook, but the monitor does not any more.

I installed the latest software from displaylink, and it still doesn't seem to be working.

Unrelated to displaylink, it seems the VGA Port on my laptop isn't working either, because I tried to directly plug the monitor into the laptop that way, and it doesn't really seem to recognize it.

Wim
12-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi

The Kensington Universal Docking station is a special case, as it contains auto install. The Auto install is not actually directly supported by the latest DisplayLink software.

If you have a dock with auto install and you want to use the latest software, then follow these steps:

1. Make sure all DisplayLink software is uninstalled.
2. Either download the latest dock software from the Kensington website or install the older software from the auto install of the dock. Go here (http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/s/1550/softwaredrivers.aspx)and search for the "sd400v".
3. For Windows Vista or Windows 7, it is recommended to use the latest software. Once the Kensington specific driver is installed, you can download the latest DisplayLink software and upgrade to the latest version. For Windows XP, it is recommended to stick with the version from the Kensington website.

Wim

Wim
12-28-2011, 03:02 PM
I've edited the title of this thread and made it sticky as I think it will be useful for other users.

Wim

Brendan
01-28-2012, 02:35 PM
I have a Kensignton dock and have problems whenever I change the configuration of my system. Have raised this previously but cannot get a stable solution to the problem.

The unit worked perfectly up to last week, so I don't think there is an issue with cables or the unit itself.

Problem:
Unconnected - the power light on the dock blinks.
Having installed the Kensington files, then the display link update - reboot the pc and plug in the USB cable, nothng happens and the power light on the dock goes out.

Support files attached

Brendan
03-21-2012, 08:51 AM
As it turns out this is a hardware fault, possibly with the DVI dongle. Have been on to Kensington who are replacing the unit... At least that's what they have told me .. have been waiting weeks for the replacement and still no sign.

Kind regards

ManUtdBruin
08-29-2012, 02:05 PM
this solution (similar to one on a displaylink website), doesn't work for me. here is a recent stand-alone post i did:

hi, i have been running, on vista, the kensington office dock w/dvi and ethernet using displaylink drivers since late 2010. i haven't updated the drivers at all because it was working fine, so the drivers are those that came with the kensington office dock (they install off the dock when plugged in). i had an external monitor hooked up via dvi through the kensington office dock.

yesterday, i wanted to add an additional monitor, so i bought the diamond bvu160 (165 maybe?) usb-to-dvi adapter. however, upon installing the diamond bvu displaylink drivers, my kensington office dock no longer works for display purposes (the usb ports, etc. work).

i have seen and followed the displaylink website solution to install (after complete uninstall) the kensington office dock drivers without plugging the dock in, then installing the latest displaylink drivers, and THEN plugging the dock in. but this doesn't work in getting the kensington office dock to display (remember, this is even before installing the diamond bvu, which was uninstalled). unlike the website solution, on mine the office dock doesn't complete the install after seeing that updated displaylink drivers are already installed.

i have recently written a long email with more information to displaylink support, but i forgot to copy it to paste here, so i don't feel like writing out the very detailed things i have already tried (i will answer questions detailing what i have already tried). i appreciate anyone's help into getting BOTH the kensington office dock display AND the diamond bvu160 display to work at the same time.
thanks much.

Sitan
10-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Hi

The Kensington Universal Docking station is a special case, as it contains auto install. The Auto install is not actually directly supported by the latest DisplayLink software.

If you have a dock with auto install and you want to use the latest software, then follow these steps:

1. Make sure all DisplayLink software is uninstalled.
2. Either download the latest dock software from the Kensington website or install the older software from the auto install of the dock. Go here (http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/s/1550/softwaredrivers.aspx)and search for the "sd400v".
3. For Windows Vista or Windows 7, it is recommended to use the latest software. Once the Kensington specific driver is installed, you can download the latest DisplayLink software and upgrade to the latest version. For Windows XP, it is recommended to stick with the version from the Kensington website.

Wim

This does not work for win 7 64 bit. but i have the solution.:)
unplug usb to docking station and leave disconnected for the time being.
Make sure you have a connection to the internet and your firewall allows for internet downloads.
Next
uninstall displaylink and kensington software correctly in control panel , then reboot.
Next down load the latest displaylink software only from this website and run the install.
reboot PC ( just so it loads correctly) or if your confident it loaded now plug in the switched on Kensington docking station using the USB to the PC.
Wait for windows to look for it using windows updater. This can take several minutes so dont panic :)
when it is complete the pc will tell you or alternatively watch it being loaded by clicking on the pc has found new hardware box that comes up at the bottom of the screen.
note display will flash from time to time as it loads the kensington hardware and software that it found.
at the end click and close the completed box if you have it. your done. :)
click on the hidden icon triangle on the bottom tool bar and you will see the new box like displaylink symbol. your ready then to go and play. .
this took me a day to sort out as the information from kensington is incorrect.
Si:D

badbob001
12-26-2012, 02:21 PM
I have the Kensington SD400v (part K33926, model M01065) and it seems to only work with the built-in 5.0 drivers. If I install the official DisplayLink drivers or even the official Kensington 6.x or 7.x drivers, I lose my display. I've tried this on two XP SP3 computers with the same results. I need newer drivers because the 5.0 drivers don't work well with standby.

When it is working on the 5.0 drivers, I see these two Display Adapters in Device Manager:

DisplayLink Graphics Adapter
DisplayLink Mirror Adapter

If I install either the newer DisplayLink or Kensington drivers, the Mirror Adapter remains, but the DisplayLink Graphics Adapter disappears and I lose my display. To get back to the working 5.0 drivers, I have to uninstall the DisplayLink software from Control Panel, reboot, and let the built-in 5.0 drivers install.

The DisplayLink knowledgebase has an article (http://displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=322) on how to install the latest drivers for the SD400v:

Disconnect Dock
Install latest Kensington drivers
Install newer DisplayLink drivers
Connect Dock

This doesn't work for me because:

Available 6.x and 7.x Kensington drivers do not work (DisplayLink Graphics Adapter is not installed)
Installing the DisplayLink drivers by itself or after the Kensington drivers still do not restore the DisplayLink Graphics Adapter.

Any ideas?

spittdogg
12-30-2012, 03:36 AM
I have the K33926 and windows 7, and also have the exact same problem as badbob001. If anyone has discovered a fix, please do help.

Thx

andrewgill
01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi

I was excited to see a possible solution, but the thread http://displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=322 talks about version 5.5 and only 5.6 is available to download

Where can I get version 5.5?

thanks

andrew

badbob001
01-22-2013, 03:31 PM
You can get the Kensington 5.5 driver here:
http://accoblobstorageus.blob.core.windows.net/software/de2b7958-991b-432d-9607-60c38c3fdef5.zip

This link is no longer listed on the Kensington website, but if you compare the URL for the currently listed (and non-working) drivers, you'll see that it's to the same host.

I had found version 5.5 of the Kensington drivers after I had posted my issue and didn't think about re-trying the knowledgebase article with that specific driver. But I just did and it seems to work. This procedure did not work with the built-in 5.0 kensington drivers nor the 5.6 display drivers.

The only strangeness was that after I installed the Kensington 5.5 drivers and then the latest Displaylink 7.1M0 drivers, and plugged in the dock, it did not invoke the built-in setup nor did I see the built-in drive letter appear. Also on the screen was this dialog window asking for the displaylink setup disk. If you click ok on the window, it'll show you that it's looking for the driver for the DisplayLink Composite USB Bus Driver, specially the file dlcdbus.sys.

I had saved the built-in 5.0 setup.exe from before and ran that and it invoked the lan component setup and then reported that everything is up to date, but the video portion was still not working.

I did a search for dlcdbus.sys and found a copy in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\dlcdbus_8F55BFBB77D22 88F9E2CD415B041481C9BB5A65E\i386

I point the dialog window to the above location and now everything seems to work! It seems that this 'DisplayLink Composite USB Bus Driver' may be the missing link in the pure DisplayLink drivers.

Not 100% sure how this mixture of 5.0, 5.5, and 7.1 is managing to work, but here is what I see in Device Manager:

Display Adapters:
DisplayLink Graphics Adapter: 9/22/2011 6.12.10.601
DisplayLink Mirror Adapter: 10/3/2009 6.13.10.501

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
DisplayLink Composite USB Bus Driver: 1/22/2010 5.3.23132.0

USB Display Adapters:
Kensington Universal Notebook Docking Station with VGA/DVI and Ethernet: 9/4/2012 7.0.41409.0

Can someone confirm if these driver version numbers are consistent with DisplayLink 7.1M0?

fmacloud
01-25-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm trying to get the sd400v running on a Win 8 Lenovo T430u Notebook.

And after checking some posts I'm confussed if this is even possible. According to a post in the beta area it won't be possible due to the auto-install feature.

Checking the latest drivers from Kensington (Version: 7.0.43660.0
Dec 06, 2012) the release note tells me that they support Win 8. But after installing the drivers I get an error saying "unsupported office dock (sd400v)".

Did someone manage to get the sd400v running with Win 8?

Thanks in advance

DynamicDave
01-28-2013, 08:58 AM
I also get the error message "unsupported office dock (sd400v)". This is weird, since it's only is a pass-through of video i believe. So it should work. Has anyone got it to work under Windows 8?

Wim
02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
The sd400v is not supported on Windows 8. Kensington do have other docks (without auto install) that are supported on Windows 8, with our latest software, and the latest DisplayLink software can be used on earlier OSes using the installation trick of installing an earlier version first.

But there is a hard coded check in the software to show the warning that the sd400v is not supported on Windows 8. It will not work no matter how hard you try I'm afraid.

Wim

awacs.mod
02-15-2013, 11:01 AM
I am using a Lenovo ideapad yoga with Windows 8 64 bit and the Kensington Dock sd420v.

I have followed the steps as described on the DisplayLink Support site:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=322

The worst problem I had, was to get the Kensington Driver version 5.5 (http://accoblobstorageus.blob.core.windows.net/software/de2b7958-991b-432d-9607-60c38c3fdef5.zip) but a link to it was posted earlier in this thread (thanks to badbob001). The installation of the driver failed several times until I tried it with compatibility set to "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)"!

After that I installed DisplayLink driver 7.1 M1 (http://www.displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=84). Only after all these steps, I plugged in the docking station and although Wim from the DisplayLink Team wrote in the last post It will not work no matter how hard you try I'm afraid., it works! :D

wojek
03-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Hello folks,

I've registered only to let you know that there is a way to install all this stuff and make display work.
The following scenario worked for me:

1. Clean up your system will all previous installations - uninstall driver/app/software from Control Panel, delete files from Program Files folder, kill processes with names like DisplayLink, run regedit, search and delete all DisplayLink keys/values and restart.
2. Double check your cleanup went well. For me there was a problem - one of DisplayLink app was visible in installed programs and clicking uninstall did nothing - the app did not disappear from the list - i had to do cleanup with regedit.
3. Follow the procedure from DisplayLink support: http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=322. Use this V5.5 software http://accoblobstorageus.blob.core.windows.net/software/de2b7958-991b-432d-9607-60c38c3fdef5.zip and DisplayLink driver 7.1 M1
4. At the moment you plug in the dock Windows will start to install devices and Kensington Dock will run installer from its internal memory - DO NOT ACCEPT IT but click Cancel instead.
5. Now a window will appear (which I never saw in any previous failed installation) that DisplayLink is preparing the device for first time use! Wait till it completes.
6. After a while DisplayLink app will ask you to restart - do it.
7. If you have connected a monitor to Kensington dock - watch for green light behind monitor pics on dock's front panel when Windows will be booting - if you see it you have it.
8. Also DisplayLink UI Icon will appear in the taskbar.

All done on Windows 7 x64.

Regards,
Wojciech

vulcanjedi
06-16-2013, 04:50 AM
I affirm this appears to work for me on a Lenovo that I just updated from Win7 to Win8. I am having to use the tiled Citrix Receiver app that loses / disconnect sessions if not an active tile so this was frustrating losing a 1/3 monitor.
I went through the exhaustive registration process just to sign up and say thanks awacs.mod and wojek.

mlangtry
05-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Well, when I first ordered this thing, it worked with win xp, since I've upgraded to win7pro64 and it has not worked since (display - usb ports are fine)

I've done everything in your troublshooting section, a number of times...

I've attached the support files as per your tool to collect this info.

Wim
05-08-2014, 11:13 AM
It looks like you have the Kensington sd400v, and the problem you are seeing is covered in this thread:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1372

I'm going to merge this.

Wim

realjeff
08-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Only after all these steps, I plugged in the docking station and although Wim from the DisplayLink Team wrote in the last post , it works! :D

Thanks for this procedure. I just tried it with my Kensington sd400v and Windows 10, and it also works. This is despite all the warning messages from Windows, and the sad story on Kensington's website, both telling me it can't be done! I'm glad I persisted until I found your post. :cool:

i011254
08-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Wow, realjeff, could you please share how you pass the compatibility check when installing Kensington Driver 5.5? I cannot pass the compatibility check about Setup.exe.

Like this.

UAC ask permission -> Yes
Then dialog says “doesn’t work on this version of Windows”.

I’m using Windows10 upgraded from Windows7.
I think i tried all versions from XP, Vista, Windows7 from the properties of the setup.exe. I also tried to tweak from Local Group Policy Editor but it didn't work...

Thanks for this procedure. I just tried it with my Kensington sd400v and Windows 10, and it also works. This is despite all the warning messages from Windows, and the sad story on Kensington's website, both telling me it can't be done! I'm glad I persisted until I found your post. :cool:

kilazzPOLAND
08-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Hi guys,
just registered here to give you a full solution to your problem..

Tested on Windows 10, which gives you "unsupported" message before you even start installing files.

Step 1
Download 5.5 software or use the one from Kensington Dock
http://accoblobstorageus.blob.core.windows.net/software/de2b7958-991b-432d-9607-60c38c3fdef5.zip
Step 2
Download Universal Extractor and use it to extract files from 5.5 installer (Setup.exe) (use 'other than InstallShield' to unpack). It will create a few folders in which you will find files we need later.
http://legroom.net/software/uniextract
Step 3
Find unpacked folder DPINST64 or DPINST32, depending on which system you use (64 or 32 bit). Copy DpInst.exe to each of these folders: MCCI, NIVO, SMSC and run DpInst.exe in each folder. You should see all of the drivers being installed (video, network, etc).

Now you should be ready to go, try connecting your Kensington SD400V dock.

You may also try installing newest displayport 7.9 drivers (I have installed them first)
http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/downloads.php

kilazzPOLAND
08-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Video solution Kensington SD400V installation under Windows 8 & 10 here:
https://youtu.be/OQiMHUMIEBY

realjeff
11-08-2015, 03:21 PM
[@i011254, Post #21]

Hi. I didn't have to do anything: I just set the file compatibility to Windows Vista (SP2) and ran the file as an administrator. If you have problems with UAC then I'm sorry, I can't help you, as my OS doesn't have UAC.

If this doesn't work for you, I recommend the YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQiMHUMIEBY) as linked to by kilazzPOLAND. My sd400v stopped working today, probably as a result of a Windows update, and I was able to restore it to life using the procedure in that video.

I downloaded the modified 5.5 files from tinyupload.com so didn't need to bother with the Uniextract steps.