PDA

View Full Version : monitor not being enabled. Win XP 32 bit

zpeterson-ATI
12-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Windows XP 32 bit

We have a terminal with 4 monitors (one of which is the laptop screen). the laptop sits on a dock, which runs a monitor via the VGA port on the back. We also have a Samsung USB monitor. The 4th monitor is a HP LE2201w which is running off of a USB-VGA 165 Plugable.

Just the other day it was running fine and all 4 monitors were working. Today the terminal was rebooted and the HP monitor no longer is turning on. I have uninstalled and reinstalled to the newest driver available, and swapped out the Plugable unit with the same model (i have found that doing this has resolved problems in the past in our office). When plugging the unit into the computer, Windows detects it and says its ready for use, but the monitor does not show up in the software or in display properties to be enabled. I have checked to make sure the display link service is running and that it is enabled in device manager. The display link software picks up the Samsung USB monitor just fine, but not the HP monitor that is actually on the Plugable.

Where do I go from here?

Dan
12-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Please follow the instructions in http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269 to provide some logs.

If you can delete the Debug directory in \Program Files\DisplayLink Core first, and just plug in the HP device it will be easier to diagnose.

thanks.

zpeterson-ATI
12-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Support Tool Version: 1.0.0.10

--------- Computer Info ---------

Computer Name: ADVBROK-2353
Logged on as: ADVANCE-TRADING\mreginelli
Computer: Hewlett-Packard - HP Compaq 6730b (FN020UT#ABA) CNU9470KSL
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (X86-based PC), Service Pack 3, English
OS Build: 2600 (Debug = False)
System Bios: Version 68PDD Ver. F.11 built 2009-09-14
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 2972 MB
Free Space: 31355 MB
Primary Resolution: 1280x800x32
Graphics: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Intel Corporation)
Graphics Driver: 6.14.10.4953 Dated 2008-05-21
Graphics: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Intel Corporation)
Graphics Driver: 6.14.10.4953 Dated 2008-05-21
Installed Package: DisplayLink Core Software (6.1.35667.0) on 2011-12-22 Status is Installed
Installed Package: DisplayLink Graphics (6.1.35667.0) on 2011-12-22 Status is Installed
USB3.0 Host Controller Drivers Installed:
Installed Codec: Indeo® video 5.10 Intel Corporation R.5.10.15.2.55

DisplayLink Version: 6.1.35667.0

Optimize for Video: None (Uses default if DL is installed)

--------- Nivo Info ---------

Nivo's currently attached: PID_0102\\0102-HVKS63012200000
Nivo's currently attached: PID_037B\\006762

Hardware IDs:

Samsung UbiSync Monitor

Wim
12-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Do you have the zip file of logs as we need this to see if the HP monitor is being detected.

Thanks

Wim

zpeterson-ATI
12-28-2011, 12:05 PM
i can tell you the HP monitor is not being detected off the bat. In display properties, it shows the plugable adaptor, but says that there is nothing plugged into it.

What i linked above (system_details.txt) is all that the debugger put out. Should there have been more?

Wim
12-28-2011, 02:21 PM
i can tell you the HP monitor is not being detected off the bat. In display properties, it shows the plugable adaptor, but says that there is nothing plugged into it.

What i linked above (system_details.txt) is all that the debugger put out. Should there have been more?

Yes, it should have created a zip file with the contents from c:\program files\DisplayLink Core Software\debug. Was there an error message from the debug tool?

Could you zip up this directory and post it?

Thanks

Wim

zpeterson-ATI
12-28-2011, 03:41 PM
where would you like me to host this zip?

zpeterson-ATI
01-03-2012, 12:51 PM
should be attached.

zpeterson-ATI
01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I have two desktops that are also having this EXACT same issue. Im guessing it is a problem with the USB controller and the driver conflicting.

If there is a second USB controller or bus on the motherboard, then there will not be any issues running multiple plugable adapters. By adding a virtual bus (aka, a external USB hub), the display will be detected just fine, as we have determined on one of our test machines.

Wim
01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
It looks like the software can see the device on the USB bus, but cannot communicate with the adapter. This can happen if the adapter cannot get enough power from the USB bus. Is the adapter connected to a powered USB hub? Does it work correctly i you connect it directly to the laptop?

Thanks

Wim

zpeterson-ATI
01-05-2012, 02:16 PM
no, it does not work correctly still if attached directly to the laptop. we run powered 230w docks also for our laptops.

the usb hub we used on our test machine was not a externally powered hub, it is powered right over the USB.

again, we have this issue on both desktops and laptops. we have been moving the desktop computers over to quadro video cards to support the monitors though, but this issue persists with laptops (since we cannot add a internal video card).

Any other solutions/ideas? when we plug in the adapter, windows will loop the notification ding for auto detect as if it were being unpluged and pluged back in constantly.

zpeterson-ATI
01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
bumpppppppp

Wim
01-09-2012, 10:25 AM
There is not much more I can do to help here, as it looks like the adapter is dropping off the USB bus, so not directly a software problem. It could be faulty hardware, especially if it is happening on more than 1 PC.

Wim

zpeterson-ATI
01-10-2012, 03:00 PM
so a group of five DIFFERENT computers (at least) all having the same problem are all stricken with faulty hardware when using these devices, but work fine with other usb devices (not specifically graphics)? We have a stock of the plugables and it doesn't matter if you swap out different units. the problem arises with the detection of the monitor over the device, which appears to be a issue with the driver or the software.

I would appreciate more help than saying our computers USB bus is faulty.

Wim
01-10-2012, 03:40 PM
I would appreciate more help than saying our computers USB bus is faulty.

I'm not saying the USB bus is faulty. I'm saying it could he the adapter, as from the logs you have posted, I can only see one Plugable adapter ever used and is showing up with USB errors. We can see it on the bus but cannot communicate with it.

I can also see that you have had a Samsung Lapfit monitor connected and this has not had the same errors, which shows that its not a software problem (otherwise both DisplayLink products would have had the same problem).

As I can only see one plugable adapter showing problems, I'm assuming its a hardware error, if the device is connected to powered hubs.

Wim

zpeterson-ATI
01-10-2012, 05:03 PM
the device is not connected to a powered hub. in one instance its connected to a dock (and we have other docks running the same setup just fine), and in other instances its connected right to a desktop. i will run the debug with other display link adapters plugged in.

zpeterson-ATI
01-11-2012, 09:01 PM
attached is a zip with the debugger run twice, with two different plugable adapters than the first upload, along with a screenshot of the error when running the debugger.

markbad311
01-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Try going as low as possible with the resolution on all of the monitors and work your way up until the device stops working... report back what resolution you can get before it ghosts out.

zpeterson-ATI
01-27-2012, 12:26 PM
that did not provide a fix. still looking for help to get this resolved.

Wim
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
I've looked through the support files, but there is only a system details.txt (as version 1.0.0.10 of the tool had an issue). From these I can see that 1 PC was using v6.1, but the other was using v5.5(!?!).

The tool has been fixed, so it should no longer crash. You can get version 1.0.0.11 from here (http://kb.displaylink.com/269).

If you can post the logs again, using v6.1 software I can take another look and see if there is something different going wrong.

Wim

zpeterson-ATI
01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
attached is the zip from the new support tool results. lets focus on the most important computer that needs to be resolved, and if the results do not work for the other computers also, we can address them at that point.

bernie
02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks for sticking with this one to try to figure out why these certain machines running XP generate USB-level errors with DisplayLink devices.

These kinds of issues are difficult (especially if only on PCs DisplayLink doesn't have).

So if there are any workarounds that might be possible while DisplayLink looks at this, please let us know if we can help.

For example, if getting the graphics adapters behind a hub solves the issue, we'd like to send you some Plugable hubs to cover the affected machines.

Just email support@plugable.com and reference this thread, and we'll do whatever we can.

Thanks again for your patience!
Bernie Thompson
http://plugable.com/

zpeterson-ATI
02-23-2012, 02:55 PM
the powered hub did work. just wanted to let anybody else who has this same problem.