PDA

View Full Version : i7 MBA 10.7.2 DL 1.7 main display switching issues

mikefoley
12-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Hi,

With Displaylink uninstalled, if I plug my i7 MBA (10.7.2) into an external monitor via a TB-DVI adapter with the lid closed, the display switches to the external adapter when I click on the USB keyboard. Great, awesome.

Install Displaylink 1.7. Monoprice DL adapter unplugged. Plug in TB-DVI and USB keyboard. Click on the USB keyboard and the Apple logo lights up. The display is running on the closed lid. In order to switch to the external display, I have to open the lid, log in, click restart and shut the lid quickly. Only upon restart will the display switch.

I worked with Apple support on this and we confirmed it was the Displaylink driver. Any help here? Glad to try some beta code.

mike

ChristianP
12-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your report. Yes this is a know issue, there are some problems with the lid mode on Lion. We are able to replicate the issue and we need to work on this.

mikefoley
12-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Awesome, thanks for confirming it. Let me know if you need someone to test it. Glad to help. Apple would like to know as well. If you want, I can share the contact info and case number with you privately.

I think it was working ok with 10.7 and when I went to 10.7.1 is when it broke.

mike

cshbell
12-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Is this related to this issue?
http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1232

If so, any update from DisplayLink on whether or not this issue is being looked at? It’s increasingly frustrating for those of us who move from desktop to laptop mode regularly.

ChristianP
12-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Is this related to this issue?
http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1232

If so, any update from DisplayLink on whether or not this issue is being looked at? It’s increasingly frustrating for those of us who move from desktop to laptop mode regularly.

No, it's a different issue. Unfortunately there is no fix yet for the phantom screen bug, but we will try to fix it.

tsihh
12-29-2011, 08:51 AM
mikefoley, have you tried detect displays shortcut CMD+F2 (or CMD+FN+F2)?

mikefoley
01-02-2012, 03:10 AM
No, I haven't tried that but I'll give it a go this week. Right-clicking and selecting "Detect Displays" doesn't work. As Christian said, the bug is in going into lid mode and switching to the external display.

Christian, any update on a fix?

mikefoley
02-01-2012, 09:26 PM
FWIW, I just upgraded my MBA to 10.7.3. No change in behavior. Still need to restart and close lid quickly to make the display port display become the primary.

Any update on an update? :) I'm glad to beta something privately.

leader716
02-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Yea I'm having the same issue, I also up for private beta if needed.

bwmartin
03-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Does anyone know if the clamshell mode problem described in this Apple forum (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3435078?start=15&tstart=0) was (or was supposed to be) resolved with the recent recent 1.8 Alpha 1 driver release?

I'm having this same problem in 10.7.3 on a 13" MBA. I just downloaded and installed the latest DisplayLink driver (1.8 Alpha 1)—even uninstalled the old one first using the uninstaller included—and had hoped that this would help but I am still having the same problem.

I have one monitor running off the Thunderbolt port (using the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter) and another with a Plugable UGA-165 USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI Adapter. I am assuming that the one running off the USB port is the problem but I'm not certain.

The two external monitors work fine, but I don't need or want the internal LCD going while it's supposed to be in clamshell mode. (Though obviously it's not actually in clamshell mode; that glowing white Apple seems to indicate that.)

Is this a DisplayLink issue or an Apple issue? How do I go about reporting it to either (Apple or DisplayLink)?

I've only had the MBA a month so I suppose I can call them (Apple). I filled out the bug form that one of the earlier posts on the Apple forum mentioned, but that seems like sending an email to nowhere--no idea if anyone will read it much less act on it.

Thanks in advance.

mikefoley
03-09-2012, 07:24 PM
I had a long talk with AppleCare about this. If you remove the DisplayLink driver, you're back to a working configuration with regard to the clamshell mode. They'll put the onus on DisplayLink. I'm guessing it's something that came out in 10.7.2 timeframe that the DisplayLink folks are tripping on. Not sure if it's an Apple fix or DisplayLink. I'm bummed that it's not fixed in 1.8 beta. :( :(

mikefoley
03-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Hi Christian and Carlo,

Any update on getting a fix for this problem?

Thanks,
mike

52txgx42gc2
03-21-2012, 07:49 AM
This problem is driving me crazy. I'm also on 10.7.3 on an i7 MBA, and several times per day I am forced to reboot my computer.

cshbell
03-22-2012, 07:43 PM
This problem is driving me crazy. I'm also on 10.7.3 on an i7 MBA, and several times per day I am forced to reboot my computer.

What you're experiencing is the same thing discussed here, and in earlier threads ad nauseum: http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1546

It drives me crazy too, and has been more or less since I got this MBA six(?) months ago. DisplayLink has acknowledged the issue in a roundabout way, but that's as much as we've heard.

I remain hopeful that this will be fixed by DisplayLink soon, but who knows? It's been quite a while.

mikefoley
07-31-2012, 01:52 PM
I just wanted to close out this thread with a posting that Mountain Lion fixed this. I uninstalled the 1.8 beta driver and re-installed the 1.8 (July 2nd) driver after updating to Mountain Lion. My 2011 MBA now works great. No crashes, very stable, no broken clamshell mode.