PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Update kills USB DisplayLink

uk_martin
12-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi

I have 2 USB DisplayLink monitors which for the last year, and until yesterday (14/12/2011) were working fine. Overnight, there was a Windows Update which automatically installed itself and rebooted my PC. Since the reboot, try what I may, I can't get the 2 additional monitors to work again.

The DisplayLink icons are visible in the Devices Control Panel, but seem to do nothing there. The NVidia Control Panel doesn't see the DisplayLink items at all, and in trying to discover the DisplayLink monitors, nothing is seen, and the monitors remain on standby even when a rigerous search of monitors is selected.

Can anyone see why the Windows Update should have killed off the monitors? All assistance gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32bit
Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce G9100M G

Llamax
12-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Same thing here. Win7 x64 cannot even see the device in the display manager but it appears in device manager.

lbjandai
12-18-2011, 03:27 AM
i seem to be having the same problem. My father has a Kensington Notebook dock, and the dispaly was working 3 weeks ago. Last week, my dad got a bunch of viruses and had his entire computer restarted and everything. I've tried re-installing the software from the Kensington website, but that said the displaylink software wasnt compatible with the graphics card or OS - which doesnt make much sense since it worked before... So it told me to go to the displaylink website to look for "updated software." I installed the latest, and it still doesn't work. Now I think my problem and the problem described above are related.

Wim
12-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Hi

I have 2 USB DisplayLink monitors which for the last year, and until yesterday (14/12/2011) were working fine. Overnight, there was a Windows Update which automatically installed itself and rebooted my PC. Since the reboot, try what I may, I can't get the 2 additional monitors to work again.

The DisplayLink icons are visible in the Devices Control Panel, but seem to do nothing there. The NVidia Control Panel doesn't see the DisplayLink items at all, and in trying to discover the DisplayLink monitors, nothing is seen, and the monitors remain on standby even when a rigerous search of monitors is selected.

Can anyone see why the Windows Update should have killed off the monitors? All assistance gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32bit
Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce G9100M G

Could you post the log files? The Windows updates you are pushed depending on device, but there should not have been any new software pushed out lately.

The log files should give me more information as to what is going on.

The Kensington Dock problem is a different question, now answered here (http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1372).

Thanks

Wim

Llamax
03-16-2012, 03:18 AM
Find my attached debug files for Win7 x64 w/ USB DisplayLink. USB used to work in XP, now confirmed not functioning on two separate Win7 x64 laptops.

USB device simply will not come alive, no green light.

Wim
03-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Can you update your NIVIDIA graphics driver. I don't think you are using the Windows 7 version:

Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M (NVIDIA)
Graphics Driver: 7.15.11.7967 Dated 2009-03-06

I suspect this is the problem.

Wim

bgilis
03-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Hello,

I have the same issue on my pc. Third time it happens and this time, impossible to get my dual screen back.

Install is ok but when we plug the usb cable, nothing happens. Going to device manager show no usb product but the device manager keeps refreshing every 5 seconds. Disconnect the product stops the refresh. When no driver is installed Windows 7 recognize the product the doesn't find any driver.

We tried, uninstall/install, change usb cable, change usb port, go back to previous software. No driver update for my video card available (core i5, HD graphic 2000).

Here is my log file.

Llamax
03-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Hi Wim, thanks for the feedback. The latest Nvidia reference driver available for my Quadro NVS 110M is dated 2/11/09. After downloading and attempting installation, it says no compatible hardware found so I'm stuck with the Win7 WDM driver.

How do you propose I upgrade the driver?

Wim
03-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Hello,

I have the same issue on my pc. Third time it happens and this time, impossible to get my dual screen back.

Install is ok but when we plug the usb cable, nothing happens. Going to device manager show no usb product but the device manager keeps refreshing every 5 seconds. Disconnect the product stops the refresh. When no driver is installed Windows 7 recognize the product the doesn't find any driver.

We tried, uninstall/install, change usb cable, change usb port, go back to previous software. No driver update for my video card available (core i5, HD graphic 2000).

Here is my log file.

That sounds more like the adapter does not quute have enough power. Make sure that the adapter is connected to an externally powered USB Hub or directly to the laptop.

Wim

Wim
03-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi Wim, thanks for the feedback. The latest Nvidia reference driver available for my Quadro NVS 110M is dated 2/11/09. After downloading and attempting installation, it says no compatible hardware found so I'm stuck with the Win7 WDM driver.

How do you propose I upgrade the driver?

This might be a "special" for the laptop manufacturer, meaning that only the manufacturer can distribute the driver. Very annoying as it stops you using the latest NVIDIA drivers.

I'd check if there is an updated version from your laptop manufacturers website. It probably won't be as up to date as the versions from NVIDIA, but should be better than the pre-Windows 7 version you have at the moment.

Wim

bgilis
03-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Hello,

thanks for your response.

The product is plugged directly on the desktop pc motherboard (it's not a laptop). Some others greedy USB devices are plugged and are working properly.

We tried changing the cable for a dual USB just in case power was insufficent. No improvement.

We have a second PC (older) and the problem is the same.

Do you have any other idea?

Wim
03-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Hello,

thanks for your response.

The product is plugged directly on the desktop pc motherboard (it's not a laptop). Some others greedy USB devices are plugged and are working properly.

We tried changing the cable for a dual USB just in case power was insufficent. No improvement.

We have a second PC (older) and the problem is the same.

Do you have any other idea?

Well - looking at your log files, the software has never seen a DisplayLink device on the USB bus, which leads me to think this is a problem with the USB bus/Power issue. The device is not appearing on the USB bus. If its not working on multiple PCs, then I may start to think it is a faulty device.

Wim

bgilis
03-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Hello again Wim,

We managed to find two additional products. The second one is recognized, but systray icon fails to show most of the time (appears after around 9 unplug/replug). When the icon appears, and the product is ok (not 8060) the second monitor stays black. Third adaptator works exactly the same. On a second PC the problem is the same. Worked fine until the PC had to restart after Windows 7 updates.

If we can't manage to make it work soon, we'll move to a new video card since there is enough room in the PC.

LimboMan
03-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Not sure if I need to start a new thread, but I'm running nVidia 260 as main graphics card and am trying to attach two USB DisplayLink devices. Both appear to be detected and installed properly as confirmed by Device Manager but only one of the monitors work at a time.

Example:

Both monitors plugged in and powered on...

A is ACTIVE | B is INACTIVE

Unplug A: B is now ACTIVE

Re-Plug A: A Stays INACTIVE, B is still ACTIVE

Unplug B: A is now ACTIVE

I can not get both monitors to remain ACTIVE and run simultaneous under Windows 7. I think I was able to use both at the same time while running Windows XP.

I'm using the latest versions of drivers for the respective hardware.

Help?

-LimboMan

Wim
03-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Not sure if I need to start a new thread, but I'm running nVidia 260 as main graphics card and am trying to attach two USB DisplayLink devices. Both appear to be detected and installed properly as confirmed by Device Manager but only one of the monitors work at a time.

Example:

Both monitors plugged in and powered on...

A is ACTIVE | B is INACTIVE

Unplug A: B is now ACTIVE

Re-Plug A: A Stays INACTIVE, B is still ACTIVE

Unplug B: A is now ACTIVE

I can not get both monitors to remain ACTIVE and run simultaneous under Windows 7. I think I was able to use both at the same time while running Windows XP.

I'm using the latest versions of drivers for the respective hardware.

Help?

-LimboMan

I think this is a different problem and can happen when you have 2 devices that the manufacturer has programmed with the same serial number. It means that Windows cannot distinguish the 2 devices on the USB bus, so only one of them works at a time.

You should be able to check the serial number of the USB device in Device manager.

What is the product you have?

Wim

MattBaker
04-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I also have the same problem as this. I can see the s/w through Device Manager. I can see the live USB connection through Devices/Printers in Control Panel. But the monitor does not work.

If I flip the device to my MAC.... everything works fine!

I am running Windows 7.

What can I do to fix this it is making me a bit grumpy which is never good!

mopett40
04-05-2012, 11:10 AM
I have a very similiar problem here.
After windows update, the monitors don't work. i uninstalled the driver and installed a new one. but it makes no difference.
It's fine with my MAC.

DELL inspiron, Windows 7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M- up to date

Wim
04-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Hi All

For users with issues using 2 monitors at the same time, are the 2 monitors the same make and model? If the monitors appear with the same serial number, it might explain this problem.

Thanks
Wim

LimboMan
04-06-2012, 11:21 PM
I have two monitors, both attached and detected by Windows 7 as you can see from the device property screencaps. How do I check for the device serial number of the individual units as per your hypothesis that they are both the same?

These two DisplayLink monitors are identical units that came with my two identical Samsung SyncMaster 2263DX monitors.

Hope someone can help! Frustrating to have to main and to auxiliary displays working fine simultaneously under Windows XP and now only one of the two DisplayLink monitors working under Windows 7.

MattBaker
04-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Nope. Three different monitors for me. Matt

mopett40
04-09-2012, 07:25 PM
with mac, the device is compatible( second pic), but with pc it is not( first pic) as you can see on the pics.
without usb2.0 uga, i connected the hp monitor vga socket to the laptop and then i could see the both screens.( i bought this device usb2.0, because the socket doesn't completely fit. it comes off very easy.)(third pic)
so...
i am sure that i need a new driver for windows 7 recent update.
what do you think??? when does the new version of driver is available on the website??

Wim
04-12-2012, 08:11 AM
with mac, the device is compatible( second pic), but with pc it is not( first pic) as you can see on the pics.
without usb2.0 uga, i connected the hp monitor vga socket to the laptop and then i could see the both screens.( i bought this device usb2.0, because the socket doesn't completely fit. it comes off very easy.)(third pic)
so...
i am sure that i need a new driver for windows 7 recent update.
what do you think??? when does the new version of driver is available on the website??

I really need the log files when you're in this state on the PC. Does using Windows+P recover the display settings so the laptop screen comes on?

Wim

MattBaker
04-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Here are my error files.

Regards,
Matt Baker

Mastiff
04-22-2012, 10:13 PM
another windows 7 update fubared my usb's again what the hell?

it took 15 diplaylink loop search before they were accepted by the setting to work.

I had to unplug the USB's and reinsert into other usb's windows found them this time under generic display link drivers wow talk about a fubared windows development.

Pummba
04-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Yesterday at night a windows update with DisplayLink drivers made my USB 2.0 adapters to stop working, well not exactly. I´m using a laptop with 2 adapters connected to 2 similar screens, so after the update only one of them remained working.

It took me 3 hours of install, reinstall, uninstall, etc. Now it is working and this is what I did.

Uninstall all DisplayLink drivers
Install latest version from DisplayLink website (6.2 something)
Plug my screens at the same time, with a usb hub that is also connected to the electric supply. The situation remained the same, just one adapter working, the other one remained dead.
Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > View devices and printers
One of my screens was working but not both. Right click on DisplayLink USB Graphicks Adapter, select properties, then tab Hardware and click Properties button
General tab. Click on Change settings. Then tab Driver. Then click Unistall
After that I unplugged my usb hub with the 2 adapters and plugged it again. After that the driver started to install itself again and both screens started working fine.

I hope it helps anyone. This matter became really annoying, a waste of time indeed.

Regards

Pummba

LimboMan
04-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Pummba: Thanks for your suggestions, hope it helps someone else on the forum. Unfortunately I still only have one of my two monitors working after trying your recommended procedure. Still awaiting a solution...

MattBaker
04-29-2012, 07:50 PM
sadly that didn't work for me! Still broken - Display Link people please help me ....

LimboMan
05-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Does anybody else have suggestions or is there an official support channel from DisplayLink that we need to go through for a solution?

thix_rj_br
05-16-2012, 04:33 AM
One more! My second monitor does not work anymore.
Same time and I think that also cause of an update...

News? Anyone?

Wim
05-16-2012, 09:16 AM
One more! My second monitor does not work anymore.
Same time and I think that also cause of an update...

News? Anyone?

No, your problem is due to PID 8060, covered in this article:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=324

As for the other issues on here, I think they are due to monitor serial numbers being the same, which should be fixed in our next release, which is imminent.

Wim

mopett40
05-18-2012, 06:41 PM
here is my logfile and Window+p doesn't recover the setting. i can't see anything.
and before i gathered support information, the debug tool instruction said that my displaylink usb should be connected to my pc first, it wasn't.
because if i connec the usb to my pc, i can't see anything. so i did press the button "gather support information" first and connected and soon i heard beep sound from black screen and then disconnected the usb and i saw the logfile done.
i am saying this worring that this might disturb you to detect the problem correctly.
anyway this is all i've done, so looking forward to hearing from you something really helpful to fix this problem
thank you

LimboMan
05-18-2012, 06:52 PM
WIM: Thanks for your reply. Looking forward to finding out when 'immiment' is and whether our issues will finally be addressed.

Regards,
LimboMan

Wim
05-21-2012, 12:16 PM
It was released on Friday and now available from:

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads

Wim

LimboMan
05-22-2012, 02:48 AM
WIM: Updated my nVidia Drivers and then installed the *new* DisplayLink drivers. Both appeared to have installed without a hitch.

No change in my status of the two USB monitors. Only one works as before :( so I don't think the new DisplayLink drivers were able to address our situation. I even tried using a completely different USB port than before (on a separate host adapter) and while everything appears to have installed properly (audio, webcam, USB monitor... all in the Device Manager without any errors appearing), only one monitor works at a time.

Same as before when both connected, one is active. When I unplug the active one, the other one becomes active.

I really don't want to reinstall everything and revert back to WinXP to get both displaylink monitors working!

Wim
05-22-2012, 12:48 PM
WIM: Updated my nVidia Drivers and then installed the *new* DisplayLink drivers. Both appeared to have installed without a hitch.

No change in my status of the two USB monitors. Only one works as before :( so I don't think the new DisplayLink drivers were able to address our situation. I even tried using a completely different USB port than before (on a separate host adapter) and while everything appears to have installed properly (audio, webcam, USB monitor... all in the Device Manager without any errors appearing), only one monitor works at a time.

Same as before when both connected, one is active. When I unplug the active one, the other one becomes active.

I really don't want to reinstall everything and revert back to WinXP to get both displaylink monitors working!

I think your situation is different to everyone else's on this thread. Am I right that you have two 2263DX, each with a 7" DisplayLink USB display?

If so, then I think when Samsung manufactured these 7" displays, they didn't program a unique USB serial number in the device and it is set to all zeros. This means that Windows cannot distinguish between the two 7" monitors on the USB bus, so our software cannot communicate with both of them at the same time.

So unfortunately this is due to a manufacturing issue with the Samsung display, rather than a bug with the DisplayLink software. I suspect you also only see 1 screen under "USB Display Adapters" in device manager when both are plugged in?

Wim

LimboMan
05-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Wim:

Sorry, not going to let you off the hook that easy! :p I do show two distinct USB Display adapters when I have my two monitors attached simultaneously showing in Device Manager.

Also as previously mentioned, I was using this setup without issue until Windows 7, similar to others having problems shared in this thread. You do recall correctly that I have two 2263DX, each with a 7" DisplayLink USB display.

Hope you are still able to assist me!

PS Your suspicions about the Hardware IDs may still be valid, but it just doesn't explain how everything worked simultaneously while under Windows XP and not in Windows 7. The DisplayLink drivers worked under XP so we can't start blaming the manufacturer when the Win 7 driver doesn't. Well, I suppose we still can blame them :p

Wim
05-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Damn... Thought I'd sussed it. Can you post the log files for me, with both screens connected:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim

LimboMan
05-22-2012, 01:32 PM
WIM: My log files...

Thanks!

mopett40
05-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi, wim.
have you analysed my log file yet?

Wim
05-30-2012, 11:42 AM
WIM: My log files...

Thanks!

Your log files show that screens have a zero serial number, as I expected:

Nivo's that have been attached: USB_0103-000000??????????^0

I know this means that only one device will work at a time. It should not have worked under any OS, as our software can only see one device.

Wim

Wim
05-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi, wim.
have you analysed my log file yet?

I can't see anything obvious wrong in your log, and this is different to LimboMan's issue. Can you see if v6.3 fixes it, and if not, repost logs with 6.3 installed.

Wim

LimboMan
06-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Your log files show that screens have a zero serial number, as I expected:

Nivo's that have been attached: USB_0103-000000??????????^0

I know this means that only one device will work at a time. It should not have worked under any OS, as our software can only see one device.

Wim

Thanks for reviewing my file. While what you had assumed may be true, I had absolutely no problems using my set-up under Windows XP. That's why I was so disappointed when moving to Windows 7 to find that I couldn't use my monitors together.

Any workarounds, fixes?

mopett40
06-10-2012, 01:27 PM
this is my log file with 6.3.

now my laptop screen keeps flickering.....still i can't see anything on my extended screen.

Wim
06-12-2012, 07:03 AM
this is my log file with 6.3.

now my laptop screen keeps flickering.....still i can't see anything on my extended screen.

Can you be more descriptive about the flickering? Do you need to change something on the screen to cause flicker? Does downgrading to v6.2 solve it?

Wim

Spike
06-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Hey, I just registered so I could provide a possible solution.
I am running a Startech USB2HDMI Displaylink adapter.
I had been running it for 3 weeks without issue from a dell Vostro workstation, using two USB ports in the back, on the motherboard.
I did a microsoft update, and after a reboot, the device was no longer recognized. It just showed up as a generic USB host or something.

For whatever reason, I am not getting sufficient power...But I was before.
I plugged the power only part of the supplied USB cable into my iPad USB charger, and it recognized it immediately.
Now its running.
Just thought I would share my experience.
I hope your issue is just as easy to fix.

mopett40
06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Can you be more descriptive about the flickering? Do you need to change something on the screen to cause flicker? Does downgrading to v6.2 solve it?

Wim
hi, Wim.
Before i upgraded to v6.3, i couldn't see the screen. Now i can. i can see the screen but it keeps flickering. one moment is off and the next moment is on, then again and again..... i managed to make the log file, because i could see icons on the screen during that "ON"-time. but no one could see the screen no more that 5 secs. Eyes would hurt.
it's quite descriptive???
the thing is that i could see the screen just when i installed display link from the little DVD from the package, but then windows 7 will update it straight away to the newest version.
i want to stick with the old version from the DVD. Any solution to that???

Wim
06-26-2012, 09:28 AM
mopett40

Can you post the log file. I think I might know what the problem is, but want the log file to check before I guess.

Wim

mopett40
07-04-2012, 07:35 AM
There you go,,,my logfile again.
i hope you can find a real issue this time. it's been a long while.
Thank you.

LimboMan
07-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks for reviewing my file. While what you had assumed may be true, I had absolutely no problems using my set-up under Windows XP. That's why I was so disappointed when moving to Windows 7 to find that I couldn't use my monitors together.

Any workarounds, fixes?

Does this mean that I can only use both of my monitors under Windows XP then? I should try to sell my other monitor? Is there any chance for a fix or work-around?

Wim
07-16-2012, 09:24 PM
There you go,,,my logfile again.
i hope you can find a real issue this time. it's been a long while.
Thank you.

Thanks for the logs. This does look strange. The log shows that we are receiving lots of mode change events from the OS from an "unknown process" (which means the task ended before we could find out what caused the display change event). It looks like there is some 3rd party software trying to manage your display layout and desperately trying to change the desktop layout, which is causing lots of events in our driver and not surprisingly flashing the screen.

I've never seen this before so I don't know for sure what is causing it. However could you try disabling the NVIDIA service and see if this helps? If not, do you know of anything else you have installed that could change display settings? I see you have many programs installed.

Thanks

Wim

MisterB
12-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Hi All

For users with issues using 2 monitors at the same time, are the 2 monitors the same make and model? If the monitors appear with the same serial number, it might explain this problem.

Thanks
Wim

How do you check the serial number in device manager. I have 2 identical monitors and 2 identical adapters and can't get them to both work consistently. One always randomly flashes black screen and then eventually goes black

Wim
12-06-2012, 01:25 PM
They wouldn't work at all if this was the problem. If they are randomly flashing black, do you have the adapters connected to an externally powered hub? Sounds like the adapter may not always have enough USB bus power to keep working.

Wim

MisterB
12-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Yes. They are both plugged into a brand new external powered usb hub.
If that is the problem would a solution be to switch to a better usb hub.

I currently have plugable 10 port hub (using 6 ports) which is plugged into a new surge protector that has no problems with any other item connected to them.

thx for reply