PDA

View Full Version : Detects Display But Blank

occlumency
12-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi I am using two external monitors HP 2511 and HP 2311x and it was working fine till yesterday night when i installed 1.7 (previous had v5 beta). After that i did uninstall 1.7 and reinstalled v5 beta but now i don't see anything in the display but its detected.

occlumency
12-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Attaching the details.

occlumency
12-11-2011, 06:32 PM
i had connected my displayLink to a high speed USB hub.
now i have disconnectd and connected back to the mac native ports

MisterSpock
12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
On the last beta and the release Version of 1.7 I don't see a screen. The second monitor (2 Apple Cinema Displays) is detected, but the display stays black. Rebooting, reinstall etc. did not solve the problem.

MisterSpock
12-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Attached you find the debug info... by the way - the problem occurs since Beta 5 (b5). I hoped it is fixed in the final version, but does not seem to be..

occlumency
12-12-2011, 01:05 PM
This did not work for me but just found it somewhere else

Unplug the adapter from the USB port.
Disconnect the DVI cable from the DisplayLink adapter.
Power off the display you normally use with the adapter.
Connect the USB cable between your computer and the DisplayLink adapter.
Wait for your displays to flash (as if a new display was connected).
The light on your DisplayLink adapter should be on now.
Connect the DVI cable to the DisplayLink adapter.
Wait a few seconds and then power on the display connected to the adapter.
If this process doesn't work, try a reboot and repeat the process once Finder finishes starting up.

http://rackerhacker.com/2011/11/17/displaylink-usb-to-dvi-issues-in-os-x-lion/

MisterSpock
12-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I tried your process and it still didn't work - sorry. I tried it several times.

occlumency
12-12-2011, 02:36 PM
that link did not work for me too. Just wanted to put it out there just incase someone else finds it useful.:o

ChristianP
12-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi I am using two external monitors HP 2511 and HP 2311x and it was working fine till yesterday night when i installed 1.7 (previous had v5 beta). After that i did uninstall 1.7 and reinstalled v5 beta but now i don't see anything in the display but its detected.

Thanks for your report and the logs. Could you please uninstall 1.7b5 and reinstall 1.7 and collect the logs once again (use VERBOSE as verbosity level as before). Thanks

ChristianP
12-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Attached you find the debug info... by the way - the problem occurs since Beta 5 (b5). I hoped it is fixed in the final version, but does not seem to be..

Thanks for debug info. Could you please change the verbosity level to VERBOSE (menu advanced->verbosity) and re-collect the debug info (unplug and replug the adapter before collecting the info). Thanks

occlumency
12-13-2011, 12:15 AM
hi new logs as requested

ChristianP
12-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the new logs, we are going to analyse them.

oddsratio
12-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Thanks for all your hard work. This has been great software since I started using it last year. I am having a similar blank display issue with Lion 10.7.2 and a mimo monitor (it's not detected, though). I just upgraded from SL and this is just one of Lion's many annoyances. Attaching the diagnostic zip below.

ChristianP
12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all your hard work. This has been great software since I started using it last year. I am having a similar blank display issue with Lion 10.7.2 and a mimo monitor (it's not detected, though). I just upgraded from SL and this is just one of Lion's many annoyances. Attaching the diagnostic zip below.

We checked your logs and it seems that for some unknown reason, the driver is not correctly installed. Here is the error message in the logs:
/System/Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext/DisplayLinkAgent/USBNivoListener", ...): No such file or directory

Could you please try to uninstall the driver and reinstall it? Thanks

oddsratio
12-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver a couple times, but nothing's changed. I've opened the kext file in SLE and in the downloaded driver. They appear to be identical and it's not missing NivoListener. I'm not sure what else it could be.

occlumency
12-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi Mine started to mysteriously work today.

oddsratio
12-19-2011, 09:16 PM
same here/ manually copied the kext file from the install package and logged out/logged back in after a reboot. works great now.

darnelld
12-23-2011, 06:32 AM
I have attached the zip files for the same issue. I connect both to my macbook air and iMac all using beta5. Black screen on my monitor (24inch display port) but the computer detects the display...

THanks a ton in advance

ChristianP
12-23-2011, 02:23 PM
I have attached the zip files for the same issue. I connect both to my macbook air and iMac all using beta5. Black screen on my monitor (24inch display port) but the computer detects the display...

THanks a ton in advance

Thanks for the logs. The driver seems to have problem in reading the EDID of your display, so it tries to use default modes (but unfortunately these modes are not good for your display). What kind of display are you using? Just for testing, does it have additional inputs other than the display port one?
Thanks

darnelld
12-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the logs. The driver seems to have problem in reading the EDID of your display, so it tries to use default modes (but unfortunately these modes are not good for your display). What kind of display are you using? Just for testing, does it have additional inputs other than the display port one?
Thanks

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply. I am using an apple 24" HD cinema display (displayport not thunderbolt). I connect the monitor to the display port on the Mac and it works fine. When I then unplug it and use the USB diamond card the display is blank. I use a dvi -2- mini displayport cable to connect through a KVM switch (which also works if I go through the computer port) then to the display.

The only variable left is the diamond device.

occlumency
12-31-2011, 03:04 AM
when ever you are sure about rest of the connections and the display doesn't light up disconnecting the power from the monitor and plugging it in back worked.

Carlo
01-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply. I am using an apple 24" HD cinema display (displayport not thunderbolt). I connect the monitor to the display port on the Mac and it works fine. When I then unplug it and use the USB diamond card the display is blank. I use a dvi -2- mini displayport cable to connect through a KVM switch (which also works if I go through the computer port) then to the display.

The only variable left is the diamond device.

Well that's a DisplayPort only display. The USB adapter you are using is DVI, and with a simple DVI to miniDP cable you cannot create a DP signal from a DVI one. Those cables are used if you have a DisplayPort Mac and you want to drive a DVI display: most DisplayPort outputs (not inputs!) also include DVI and VGA signals.
You are in the same situation as anyone with a pre-DP MacBook Pro trying to connect to the 24" Cinema Display: you would need a DVI to DP adapter that's going to cost more than your USB to DVI adapter.

That is the only solution I can see at the moment.
Needless to say, the other issues described in this thread look to be very different.