PDA

View Full Version : Dell Latitude E6420 stuck in BSOD loop after install

That Crazy Air Force Guy
12-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Hello world;

I am trying to install the Kensington Multi-Display Adapter (K33928US) on a Dell Latitude E6420 Laptop with Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit.

When I do, it gets to the point where it loads the DisplayLink software and attempt to detect the 3rd monitor. After several screen flickers, it gives the following blue screen:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to protect your computer.

Attempt to restart the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable any BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable any components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000116 (0x86520510, 0x9142FB90, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

*** igdkmd32.sys - Addess 91420FB90 base at 9140C0000, DateStamp 4df25c39

Collecting dat for crash dump ...
Initializing disk for crash dump ...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100

After an obvious hard reboot, it tries to start Windows and the monitors flicker, and then this blue screen repeats. The only way to fix it and break the blue screen cycle is to restart with F8, start with Last Known Good Configuration, and uninstall any remaining Kensington and DisplayLink software from Programs and Features.

Our E6420's are running Intel HD Graphics 3000, and I have the latest driver dated 28 October 2011. This occurs whether all the monitors are connected the via docking station or if one or more are connected straight to the laptop, including the Kensington device. To the best of my knoweldge, I do not have any BIOS memory options turned on.

We have no problems running it on our Windows 7 E6400's and E6410's. Now, those two models have NVIDIA NVS cards and I don't know if that's the difference-maker or not, but I have not seen anything out there saying the Kensington and DisplayLink do not work with Intel HD Graphics. All three models use the same docking station.

For those of you in the federal or at least Department of Defense sector, these are United States Air Force computers running versions 3.1 and 3.2 of the Air Force Standard Desktop Configuration (SDC).

Any ideas? Thanks!

- Rick

Wim
12-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Hello

You haven't given any information about what version of DisplayLink software you are trying to use or the version. If it is the latest version 6.1, then we would need the log files and the dmp file created by the blue screen to analyse it further.

Thanks

Wim