PDA

View Full Version : Win7 64bit display does not come on after unlock

bugmenotuser
11-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Environment: Win7 Enterprise 64 bit. Lenovo W510 laptop in a docking station with two external monitors on NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M (driver version 8.17.12.5738, dated 6/27/2010). Added a US165 USB adapter for a third monitor. Downloaded the latest drivers from this site. The USB adapter is set as the primary monitor.

Problem: Everything works fine until I lock the machine (Windows-L). After the monitor goes to sleep due to the power settings (blank screen saver, wait 10 minutes, on resume display login screen; high performance power setting, dim display after 5 min, turn off display after 10 min, sleep computer never) it wont come back on. When I return to the machine, the other two external monitors (from the docking bay) come on but not the USB attached monitor. If I disable and enable the USB Adapter, the monitor comes back on. Nothing else I do seems to get it's attention.

I've done everything in the sticky post to troubleshoot the problem and everything seems fine. The USB display adapter is there, the hardware ID is fine (USB\VID_17E9&PID_0199&REV_0108), the service is running, etc. One odd thing is that the tray icon is not there (until after I disable / enable the USB adapter).

Thoughts?

Wim
11-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Hi

I thought a lot of these issues had been fixed in v6.0 M1. Could you turn on advanced logging and post the debug files when this occurs as described here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Thanks

Wim

bugmenotuser
11-23-2011, 09:21 PM
This was a slightly different error, but still worth looking at. In an attempt to reproduce the first error (monitor doesn't come back on) I set my screensaver timeout to 1 min and my power management timeout to 2 min.

When I attempted to bring the computer back from screen saver I had the USB attached monitor flash the desktop repeatedly for several minutes (one of the other monitors was in sleep mode for part of this time, and the other one was on, but with a blank display with the mouse occasionally visible). Ultimately I finally got the login screen after all the flashing and was able to unlock the workstation. After that things seemed pretty normal.

I've attached the enhanced debug files from that session.

bugmenotuser
11-30-2011, 08:40 PM
It happened again today (the DisplayLink adapter didn't come back up after a lock). I was able to grab the standard support info. I've attached that to this post.

- James

bugmenotuser
11-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Wim,

I've posted the requested support info. Let me know what else I can do to help identify this problem.

- James

bugmenotuser
12-01-2011, 04:11 PM
And it did the same thing (DisplayLink attached monitor would not come back up after sleep) again this morning. I had to disable/enable the USB display adapter in device manager to get it to come back on.

- James

Wim
12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi

Thanks for the logs. This shows that we have trouble talking to our device after a sleep/resume. Although we can see it on the USB bus, it doesn't respond when we send data to it.

From the logs I can see you have a USB 3.0 Renesas/NEC Host controller installed, with old drivers. Updating the drivers for this Host controller may solve the issue. We have an FAQ with links to the latest for USB 3.0 Host controller drivers here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/315

Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Wim

bugmenotuser
12-07-2011, 10:43 PM
I updated to the 2.1.28.0 driver. I'll report back if there are any future problems.

Thanks,

- James

bugmenotuser
12-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Even after updating it failed again last night. However, I hadn't rebooted since upgrading the driver so I rebooted and we'll see if it happens again.

Before I rebooted I did capture the support info. Let me know if you want that uploaded. Otherwise, I'll wait to see if it happens again before I upload another trace.

Thanks,

- James

Wim
12-10-2011, 09:17 AM
If you post the logs I can take a look and see if it is the same problem, or if it is now something different.

can you try a non-USB3.0 port and see if the same problem occurs?

Thanks

Wim

bugmenotuser
12-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Here are the logs from the last occurrence.

Unfortunately this is a laptop so I have limited options for ports. As far as I know, this machine only has 3.0 ports.

Thanks,

- James

bugmenotuser
12-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Even after the reboot it happened again this afternoon. Everything was fine this morning, but after lunch, only the two monitors on the docking station came up. I had to disable and re-enable the display link adapter to get it to come back online.

I've included a trace from this most recent occurrence.

Thanks,

- James