PDA

View Full Version : Drivers For Toshiba PA3923U-2LC3

Mobile Manager
11-02-2011, 06:09 PM
I just purchased this monitor from Amazon and hopefully it will arrive tomorrow right before I have to head out on a business trip.

One of the reviewers on Amazon suggesting using drivers from Display Link instead of the ones that come on the CD from Toshiba.

I have not heard of Display Link before, but I certainly want the best performance out of this new Toshiba USB monitor, so I found the drivers here that he is referring to, but I would like to know more about Display Link as well as the proper procedure for installing these drivers if I choose to do so.

So please, someone explain the relationship between Display Link and Toshiba and why Display Link seems to have drivers that are 7 months newer than what Toshiba offers.

I will be installing these drivers on my corporate laptop. I just started with this company a month ago and they were reluctant to give me administrator rights, but did so. So, I want to make sure I do not screw up this laptop by installing something I shouldn't.

Thanks

Wim
11-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi

I'm not sure if I should answer this, as I work for DisplayLink and therefore have a conflict of interest, but will try to explain. :-)

DisplayLink make chips and host software to connect displays over USB. We don't actually make any products ourselves, as our business is to sell chips to customers to make products, eg Toshiba. When Toshiba buy our chips and make the product, they take our latest software release, test it with their laptops to make sure it works and then ship the product.

DisplayLink tends to create a new major release of software every 3 months (or thereabouts). The main changes are bug fixes for compatibility with primary graphics cards, performance increases and features. However our customers do not want to be qualifying a new software release every 3 months, therefore continue to ship the release they qualified originally.

Therefore the latest release on the DisplayLink website should be the most stable release and offer the highest compatibility and performance. I'm not sure what Toshiba are shipping on the CD at the moment (it is probably v5.5 or v5.6, but I would recommend v6.0 M1, which is the latest release on the DisplayLink website.

Thanks

Wim

Mobile Manager
11-03-2011, 11:08 AM
That is a great answer. So do I just download the driver from here, install it, reboot, then plug in the Toshiba display for the first time and I'll be all set?

Wim
11-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Yep - just download the software from www.displaylink.com/downloads and run. On most systems it doesn't even need a reboot.

Thanks

Wim

Mobile Manager
11-03-2011, 08:45 PM
I have been using this for a couple of hours now. Your drivers seem to be working great, thanks! The Toshiba monitor even has a "Display Link certified" sticker right on the lower right hand face of the bezel, so I guess you guys are legit!

A quick question. It is OK to just unplug the USB cable while the computer is on, or is there some procedure that I should follow to disconnect the device?

Wim
11-04-2011, 10:57 AM
You can just unplug the USB cable. The PC only writes data to DDR memory in our chip, so its not like a flash drive where you can cause corruption if you unplug while you are using it.

Wim

Mobile Manager
02-28-2012, 01:42 AM
I've been pretty happy with my Toshiba and your drivers, but I see you have a newer version available.

I installed version 6.0.34631 and I see version 6.1.36490 is now available. Can I just run the new 6.1.36490.exe, or do I have to uninstall your old drivers first?

Also, I see you have a new utility "Actual Mobile Monitors" which sounds interesting. I tried downloading the file, but it is showing up as an unknown file type because the file name is "ammsetup3.4.2[1]" so Windows thinks the file extension is '.2[1]'. What do I need to do to try this utility out?

Wim
02-29-2012, 09:05 AM
I've been pretty happy with my Toshiba and your drivers, but I see you have a newer version available.

I installed version 6.0.34631 and I see version 6.1.36490 is now available. Can I just run the new 6.1.36490.exe, or do I have to uninstall your old drivers first?

You should just be able to upgrade, without uninstalling.

Also, I see you have a new utility "Actual Mobile Monitors" which sounds interesting. I tried downloading the file, but it is showing up as an unknown file type because the file name is "ammsetup3.4.2[1]" so Windows thinks the file extension is '.2[1]'. What do I need to do to try this utility out?

It should download with a .exe extension. What web browser and version are you using to download it so we can try and reproduce the problem?

Thanks

Wim

rorscan
03-06-2012, 05:31 AM
Hi Wim,
I'm writing to you because it sounds like you know what you're doing, whereas I don't. ;)

I have two Acer Inspire 10.5" netbooks (one XP and one Windows 7) and one Dell (Vista) laptop. I just bought the Toshiba 14" USB monitor and installed the driver from your website on all 3 computers. Using the Dell, the display on the Toshiba monitor is fine, fills the screen, and there are no issues with it. However, both Acers display only on a very small area of the Toshiba monitor. In other words, the display on the Toshiba is almost as small as the one on the tiny netbooks themselves, making use of the 14" USB monitor essentially pointless. Of course, I bought the montior specifically to use with the Acers.

I've fiddled with all the settings I can think of but nothing enlarges the Toshiba display using the Acers. The Toshiba website says nothing about this problem and from what I hear, their telephone support is very bad. Can you help? The Dell uses no Dell startup screen but the Acers do. Might that software be interfering and, if so, how could I disable it? Or do I need to bite the bullet, call Acer, and have them tell me to call Toshiba? They, of course, will tell me to call you. Does it sound like a driver problem that might someday be addressed in an update?

Many thanks in advance.

Wim
03-06-2012, 12:11 PM
I have two Acer Inspire 10.5" netbooks (one XP and one Windows 7) and one Dell (Vista) laptop. I just bought the Toshiba 14" USB monitor and installed the driver from your website on all 3 computers. Using the Dell, the display on the Toshiba monitor is fine, fills the screen, and there are no issues with it. However, both Acers display only on a very small area of the Toshiba monitor. In other words, the display on the Toshiba is almost as small as the one on the tiny netbooks themselves, making use of the 14" USB monitor essentially pointless. Of course, I bought the montior specifically to use with the Acers.

I suspect you are trying to use the display in mirror mode? There are 2 important things to know about mirror mode:

Both mirroring displays need to be set to the same resolution
The Toshiba Mobile Monitor does not contain a scaler (so it does different resolutions) so it has 1 fixed resolution (1360x768 I think)

So when you mirror to the Toshiba mobile monitor, both screens will have to be set at 1360x768, as this is the only resolution of the Mobile monitor to make it full screen. However as this may not be a supported resolution of the laptop screen, other modes are allowed (so you can mirror). But as these will be a lower resolutions than 1360x768, the pixels will be placed in the middle of the mobile monitor screen as there is no scaler to scale the pixels up to fill the screen.

I would suggest using this display in extend mode, so both the laptop screen and mobile monitor can use their preferred, native resolutions.

Hope that makes sense.

Wim

mikalrobots
03-20-2012, 09:34 PM
I have a Toshiba PA3923U-2LC3 and it's great for certain things, like displaying spreadsheets (in a relatively low resolution) or email. I'm having a problem with it recently. It no longer displays video or certain programs such as the Microsoft Zune application.
If I drag a video window onto it or move the Zune app to it, the screen will not update. I have the lasted drivers installed and I even tried downgrading to a previous driver, but it still won't work.
It worked fine a while ago. I have no idea why it stopped.
Any ideas?

Wim
03-21-2012, 08:41 AM
I have a Toshiba PA3923U-2LC3 and it's great for certain things, like displaying spreadsheets (in a relatively low resolution) or email. I'm having a problem with it recently. It no longer displays video or certain programs such as the Microsoft Zune application.
If I drag a video window onto it or move the Zune app to it, the screen will not update. I have the lasted drivers installed and I even tried downgrading to a previous driver, but it still won't work.
It worked fine a while ago. I have no idea why it stopped.
Any ideas?

I think you're probably using Basic graphics mode. Please refer to this thread:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=897

Wim