PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba USB Monitor flickering

skolnikm
10-18-2011, 05:29 AM
I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64bit. When I attempt to install the USB Monitor drivers, they appear to install properly - But, on plugging in the USB Monitor the screen goes blank and I can see the mouse flickering but nothing else. When I un-plug the USB Monitor the primary display goes back to normal.

I've tried to drop the resolution way down prior to installing the drivers and this does not work either. I've also tried to install the drivers with elevated Administrator privileges and that doesn't work.

I have the latest Display Link drivers installed. Toshiba has not been able to help.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Wim
10-23-2011, 11:16 AM
But, on plugging in the USB Monitor the screen goes blank and I can see the mouse flickering but nothing else.

Which screen is flickering? If it is the primary screen, then this sounds like a problem with the primary graphics driver. Could you make sure that you have the latest primary graphics driver installed for your chipset, and if this doesn't solve it, please post your log files.

Wim

skolnikm
10-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Wim,

Thank you for your reply.

The primary screen is flickering and I am using the latest Nvidia drivers.

Where are the log files located?

Thanks!

SLOO1
10-24-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi:

I am having the exact same issue.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64bit. When I attempt to install the USB Monitor drivers, they appear to install properly - But, on plugging in the USB Monitor the screen goes blank and I can see the mouse flickering but nothing else. When I un-plug the USB Monitor the primary display goes back to normal.

The only difference is that when I restart my computer, after installing the drivers for the first time, the monitor works perfectly. The above quoted issue occurs when I attempt to use the monitor after I have turned my computer off (then on, of course) after the initial installation restart.

Some facts.
I am able to ctrl + alt + del out of the black screen with the flickering mouse cursor. From that screen I am able to windows key + P out of the extend mode that connecting the portable monitor triggers. This allows me to go back to the desktop with no issue.

I should have the most recent graphics driver.

I have attempted to take a S.S. of the screen and only get a black screen when pasted to paint.

I am able to highlight and the cursor changes from pointer to finger when I move it over an icon etc.

Will attempt to post log file tomorrow.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Wim
10-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Instructions on how to make the log are here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim

SLOO1
10-25-2011, 01:29 AM
Hi Wim:

Please find the requested log attached. I ran the program right after the issue occurred. The uninstalling and reinstall is proving to be a suitable temporary fix. Thanks.

k1troutman
11-02-2011, 01:07 AM
I have a IBM T520 fresh out of the box today. Win7 64bit, SP1 and I just updated the latest video drivers as well.

I have 2 Display Port's and upon plugging in either on the main screen turns black and the cursor blinks rapidly. You can move the cursor around and it work but can't see anything.

The port being plugged in will light up the led on the Display Link adapter but the monitor never receives a signal to warm up the monitor and take it out of standby.

I know both of my display links are good as I can connect them to my old IBM T61p running XP 32 bit and they work perfectly.

Here is the support files as requested in a previous user with both Display Link's plugged in within a minute of each other.

Thanks.

temarti
11-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Hi,
I am having similar flickering issue as exposed by Wim and Sloo1. I installed a Kensington sd-400v on a Dell XPS 15z and connected a NEC MultiSync1770NX monitor to it. The installation apparently went well but only lasted for couple minutes and the second monitor went blank. When I rebooted and every time I attempt to connect again with the monitor plugged in, I get a flickering screen on the laptop, blank screen on the monitor.

Connecting the DisplayLink device without the monitor plugged in works ok, but that is not the point for me of using this device. I installed latest drivers from DisplayLink website, repeated the installation with the same results.

I will appreciate if support can be provided to fix this. Attached the log files.

Wim
11-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Hi,
I am having similar flickering issue as exposed by Wim and Sloo1. I installed a Kensington sd-400v on a Dell XPS 15z and connected a NEC MultiSync1770NX monitor to it. The installation apparently went well but only lasted for couple minutes and the second monitor went blank. When I rebooted and every time I attempt to connect again with the monitor plugged in, I get a flickering screen on the laptop, blank screen on the monitor.

Connecting the DisplayLink device without the monitor plugged in works ok, but that is not the point for me of using this device. I installed latest drivers from DisplayLink website, repeated the installation with the same results.

I will appreciate if support can be provided to fix this. Attached the log files.

Hi

I think you have the same problem with NVIDIA graphics that we're trying to track down at the moment, but you are also trying to use this with the Kensington sd400v. The auto install on this dock does not work with v5.6 software or later, so you will need to use v5.5 from the Kensington website.

We're working with Kensington to solve this, to allow the latest versions of software to be used with the dock, but this is not available yet.

Thanks

Wim

skolnikm
11-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Hi

I think you have the same problem with NVIDIA graphics that we're trying to track down at the moment, but you are also trying to use this with the Kensington sd400v.

Wim

Could we please get an update on this? Is this an nvidia problem or a problem with the DisplayLink drivers?

Thanks for your help.

Wim
11-17-2011, 01:30 PM
There seem to be several different reports of problems on NVIDIA, but not much correlation between GPUs and NVIDIA driver versions. We have reproduced one of the blue screens experienced on a GeForce GT 540M which may cause other symptoms.

We're looking into a fix for this and hopefully it will fix some of the other NVIDIA issues found.

Wim

skolnikm
12-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Any updates regarding this problem?

I cannot use Nvidia drivers and therefore cannot use my computer to its full potential.

Thanks!

cmoreland
01-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I also am having the same flickering issue that follows the blue screen upon initial connection. I have updated the latest nvidia chipset drivers for the NVS line as well as pulled the latest driver from Toshiba's website. Same issue. Black screen with a flickering cursor.

The laptop is a Dell Latitude E6520. The screen works fine with Dell's Intel HD gfx chipsets.

Any updates on the patch status?

temarti
03-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Could an update be provided on when the fix will be ready to solve the flickering issues and conflicts with Nvidia?

It is very frustrating to have bought a piece equipment and software that is marketed to do something to then learn it just does not work because it conflicts with other main stream applications. Don't you test for these potential conflicts before releasing final products? I have this Kensington dock sitting at my desk unusable. :mad: